What's your favorite Kanto starter? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

mine is squirtle cause i just like water types and Blastoise is beast

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

In my much younger years, it was Charmander. I'm talking Red and Blue. I was like...in middle school at the time? God, I'm old.

Nowadays, I'm not much into sweepers and the Fire starters always seem to be just that, so I've been against it. So, lately it's been grass Poke'Mon. I feel I've made a great conversion.

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Blastoise (squirtle) = is the best!

My trading thread:http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27589

my fc:0561 1373 6911

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My very first starter ever, in Red version, was Squirtle, he's always been my favorite. I changed starters many times since then, so I almost forgot this, but Squirtle, just...All the way.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Tue May 03, 2011 7:36 am
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I say Squirtle. If I can really own with a Blastoise. :P

See how it sings like a sad heart, and joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain, and notes that fall gently like rain."

~Neil Peart

Tue May 10, 2011 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
I've never been able to decide in Kanto. XD Currently using Blastoise, although I'm wishing I chose a different one seeing how I'm trainig a Lapras who kicks serious @$$ in-game. :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a team. Obviously, Bulbasaur/Squirtle have their strengths early in the game, which facilitates easy use for beginners. But as far as typing goes, I'm torn.

I hold loyalty to Squirtle because it was my first ever Starter (you all know what that's like). But beyond that, it is one of the better Water types in Kanto, but not the best...

{blastoise}
Advantages: Strong Tank capabilities, Water is very versatile type, probably has the least weakness [without referencing...]
Disadvantages: Not best Water option, so if you train another (plenty to choose from), it becomes obsolete.

It does learn Surf, but again it's not the only one there.

Bulbasaur is the "easiest" Starter to work with because it doesn't really run into any problems until it's uneffective in Vermilion. Obviously, the Grass/Poison type is common in Kanto, and they are susceptible to Psychics (which are bada$$ in the gen, not so much in the remake) because of their dual typing. However, of those aforementioned Pokes, Venusaur is probably the best.

{venusaur}
Advantages: Easy to learn the game with a Starter who wipes the floor with the first two Gyms... Best Grass/Poison in the game (until the National Dex comes in, then it's debatable)
Disadvantages: Glaring weaknesses to two common move types (Flying, Psychic) and also to some others (Fire, Ground) that leave it easy to switch out on. Not only that, but the Grass move it learns naturally that actually attacks is not the best (compared to Vileplume/Victreebel).

Charmander, therefore has viability as the best. And no, this is not influenced because of its evolutions, rather from the fact that there are hardly any legitimate Fire types in Kanto (excluding Magmar and Moltres, the latter a Legend). It is stronger than Magmar, and much easier to access than Moltres, which makes it the best starter choice if you are looking for a Fire type. Compare it to its alternates: Rapidash, Ninetales, Flareon, Magmar, Arcanine and Moltres. Now, I'm not a Charizard nutcase, but it is very good...

{charizard}
Advantages: Perhaps the best Fire type and very easy to access. Shows training prowess because it sucks (against Gym Leaders' types) until the 4th Gym... Can learn Fly and will fill the Flying-role on a team if you keep it. One of the only types effective against Steel.
Disadvantages: So popular it practically wants to make me hurl (which isn't too bad considering... :) ), pretty easy to counter (Water, Electric), and while it's one of the best of its type, its type is one of the worst in the game...

I'll say it again: depends on what you want. All three are fairly viable options for their type, depending on the Type composition of your team, and of them Charizard seems to have the advantage. I'll stick with my Blastoise, and trade everything in... :P

My (more than) two cents.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Last edited by AEP: Master Trainer on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Charmander actually got significantly better against the first gym in the remakes, now that it learns Metal Claw at an early level. Having a decent early-level Steel attack makes Rock much easier to deal with; and by the second gym your starter (should) matter less, because you've had an opportunity to train some other pokemon; Pikachu in particular is available early and makes a very effective option against Misty's gym.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I like Squirtle the best of the three, but since this is in FR and LG I say Totodile, cause you get it later in the game :D

Haxorus, Serperior, Drifblim, Zoroark, Vaporeon, Final spot reserved for shiny Charizard

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:41 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I pick charmander it was my first and i never regretted that! I also love charizard! My username *cough,cough* {charmander} {charmeleon} {charizard}

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Location: Somewhere on the internet drooling over a Mewtwo EX Card...
{bulbasaur} For the win!
I always liked how it is first in the Pokedex, but that isn't all. Bulbasaur isn't that horribe like people say. It can be pretty verstaile if you train it correctly and teach it the right TMs. :3
I also like clever names. xD

and I grew attached to the name. xD So..its my username in a lot of places and my RP Mewtwo's nickname.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sat May 26, 2012 6:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Actually, very few bash Bulba's line. I used to, but after giving it another chance, I saw it as a decent pokemon. *Ducks and covers*
{squirtle}
Only because at the sight of this Goliath (Lv. 75 Blastoise was a tank!!!) did my friends and brother (who used Venusaur so much) shudder at the living legend before them! ;P

Goodbye
"

Sat May 26, 2012 8:53 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Venusaur was my first pokemon and my favorite. It was the best grass pokemon in Kanto.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

{charmander} {charmeleon} {charizard}
I love dragons, and every time I do the personality test in Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team/ Explorer, I get Charmander.
I also completed Firered 17 times with my Charizard
I miss my Firered. :cry:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Squirtle but I love them all!!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If I had to pick one of them right now, I would pick Squirtle. All 3 of them are cool in my book.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2