It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What's wrong with my team? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

When I go to the Elite 4 to battle them again it's a lot harder to win. I used to blow right through them but the last time I challenged them (yesterday) I got knocked out! That hasn't happened since I tried to beat them the first time! I don't know if it's the way I'm battling or the pokemon I'm using. I used to bring 2 weak pokemon to train them while I battled the Elite 4 but yesterday I brought just one swablu to train. My team is

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Frenzy plant Synthesis
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
Swift Future sight Facade Psychic
350 HP, 256 ATK, 197 DEF, 329 SP ATK, 245 SP DEF, 286 SPD

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Solarbeam Frenzy plant

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
Hydro pump Rest Sheer cold Water spout
284 HP, 199 ATK, 194 DEF, 290 SP ATK, 225 SP DEF, 173 SPD

I've always been able to beat the Elite 4 with this team and I'd have 2 pokemon being trained. The only difference I can think of is the absence of Max potions and Revives. Is there anything wrong with the team or has my battling style changed? Do I need different moves or need to think things through better? I have no idea why I got BEAT by the Elite 4. That hasn't happened in YEARS. Please help!!

Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:13 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Your movesets are highly questionable. I suggest you look at the main site for some better movesets.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sion9 wrote:
Your movesets are highly questionable. I suggest you look at the main site for some better movesets.

They've always kicked butt before... What do you suggest?

Edit: I just beat the Elite 4 but when I finished I was left with a LVL 80 kyogre with full HP and some missing PPs and a LVL 100 venusaur with 16 HP and some missing PPs. The kyogre beat the champion pretty single-handed. He was only used against the champion. Venusaur was used throughout the Elite 4.

Edit 2: I'll try to fix up my pokemon with better moves. They've had those moves forever. I have plenty of good movesets in my head but they don't really have an affect on pokemon I'm not trying to power up (level up, stat boost, etc.). It's the way my brain works. It all makes perfect sense to me but if someone else spied on my thoughts they wouldn't understand a thing. :) Friggin' ADHD :D . ADHD isn't half as bad as people think.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Your level advantage should allow you to beat the Elite Four. However, look here for Venusaur movesets, and then type in the species of your other pokemon. I highly recommend you use more standard sets.

Shinies

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sion9 wrote:
Your level advantage should allow you to beat the Elite Four. However, look here for Venusaur movesets, and then type in the species of your other pokemon. I highly recommend you use more standard sets.

:| Maybe if I thought differently I would pick those up right away... A moveset I would pick would be like

Venusaur Miracle seed
Synthesis Earthquake Frenzy plant Razor leaf/Sludge bomb

I prefer a to have a nice variety of attacks and have a recovery/defensive/healing move as backup.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:

Venusaur @ Miracle seed Type boostimg items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers.
Synthesis
Earthquake
Frenzy plant Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed.
Razor leaf/Sludge bomb Giga Drain > Razor Leaf

I prefer a to have a nice variety of attacks and have a recovery/defensive/healing move as backup.

You can use whatever you like on an in-game team, but those are some of the best sets for Venusaur competitively. Venusaur is a more defensive pokemon though, and benefits from moves such as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder when fighting opponents of equal level.

Shinies

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sion9 wrote:
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:

Venusaur @ Miracle seed Type boostimg items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers. Then why do I have synthesis?
Synthesis
Earthquake
Frenzy plant Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed. What I do is use that move, then switch out. Or it could be used as a last resort.
Razor leaf/Sludge bomb Giga Drain > Razor Leaf What's wrong with sludge bomb? It could poison them, has decent accuracy, and it gives some diversity.

You can use whatever you like on an in-game team, but those are some of the best sets for Venusaur competitively. Venusaur is a more defensive pokemon though, and benefits from moves such as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder when fighting opponents of equal level.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Type boosting items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers.
Then why do I have synthesis?

Leftovers is for a small recovery each turn. venusaur is not fast enough to be able to outspeed an opponent and Synthesis - that HP from Leftovers may save you. Besides, items like Miracle Seed are useless in 3rd gen. 1.1x attack only with Grass moves.

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed.
What I do is use that move, then switch out. Or it could be used as a last resort.

I suppose if you are playing with Switch mode on you can switch out. In competitive battles, you cannot switch after KOing an opponent with Hyper Beam

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Giga Drain > Razor Leaf
What's wrong with sludge bomb? It could poison them, has decent accuracy, and it gives some diversity.

I was commenting on your use of Razor Leaf as an option over Sludge Bomb, not on whether to use Sludge Bomb. If you want to use Razor Leaf, use Giga Drain instead. There's nothing wrong with using Sludge Bomb.

Shinies

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Okay. You win :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Anyone else have any movesets/suggestions? And I've gotten used to my team again.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
When I go to the Elite 4 to battle them again it's a lot harder to win. I used to blow right through them but the last time I challenged them (yesterday) I got knocked out! That hasn't happened since I tried to beat them the first time! I don't know if it's the way I'm battling or the pokemon I'm using. I used to bring 2 weak pokemon to train them while I battled the Elite 4 but yesterday I brought just one swablu to train. My team is

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle?!! At level 100! :O, well... Sion9's pretty much clued Venusaur up for you, so i wont bother

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
No Thunderbolt? Calm Mind or Recover? Flamethrower nor Ice Beam? I'd say keep Psychic, teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Calm Mind

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
:o Cloned hah xD, its ok i do it all the time lol

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
:o Teach it Surf, Ice beam and Thunder, as for the final move i personally would use either Calm Mind or Earthquake

Only thing about what i've said is that both Kyogre and Mewtwo will have two attacks of the same typing. :/

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Torkoal power wrote:
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle?!! At level 100! :O, well... Sion9's pretty much clued Venusaur up for you, so i wont bother

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
No Thunderbolt? Calm Mind or Recover? Flamethrower nor Ice Beam? I'd say keep Psychic, teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Calm Mind

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
:o Cloned hah xD, its ok i do it all the time lol

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
:o Teach it Surf, Ice beam and Thunder, as for the final move i personally would use either Calm Mind or Earthquake

Only thing about what i've said is that both Kyogre and Mewtwo will have two attacks of the same typing. :/

In ingame, actually you can use Water Spout for quick killing a full health. Kyogre is no thing to waste EQ TMs. (Unless you clone in E as I do)

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

This is enough. Don't need any more. My brain's melting. That's a lot of melting brain. :D

Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]