It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pokémon WORLD Championship! 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well, here it comes. World Championship starting in May in North America.

Check all the info HERE.

I suppose someone could stick this topic.

Also I found out on Serebii that every participant will be given a Shiny Milotic which holds Flame Orb & Classic Ribbon and it's moveset will be: Rain Dance, Recover, Hydro Pump & Ice Wind.

No info about whereabouts and when these contests will be held in Europe. But we DO know that in Europe participants will play on Diamond & Pearl version and in North America on Platinum Version.

Last edited by Maverick on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That seems pretty cool if you're really into Pokemon. Maybe if I was a couple years younger I would've dragged my parents to one of those events. Unfortunately it's just not that big of a deal. You can still play the "Championship" over Wi-Fi if you really wanted as others have taken the liberty to do so (unofficial, of course). Have they disclosed a grand prize? If it's something of monetary value, then that's awesome. I just find it that it's ironic how they stress "legit" Pokemon when the event Pokemon they're giving away is "legally" hacked. :P

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm 19 and if I'd lived in US I would compete just for fun ;D.
And to get such a {milotic} just for taking part? Hell why not?

Well, You're right. You can always compete over the WiFi but it's still not the same as AN OFFICIAL big deal, don't You think :P?

Grand prize. I guess You didn't read the info in the link I gave You.

Two World Champions will win a trip for four to either Tokyo, New York or Hawaii! It doesn't say for how long though :P.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:00 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Wow, one of the regionals is in Dallas...

I could theoretically attend that o_O;

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Kurushel wrote:
Wow, one of the regionals is in Dallas...

I could theoretically attend that o_O;

You know you want to :D

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:18 am
Just your average 10 year old

dang it. Closest on to me is in Nashville and that's a good 2-5 hours away.

Meh. My whole team is above level fifty and only one isn't a legendary and it's Infernape. I knew I shouldn't have leveled up TRU Shaymin.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:22 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

These are forbidden in tournament:
{mewtwo}
{mew}
{tyranitar}
{lugia}
{ho-oh}
{celebi}
{kyogre}
{groudon}
{rayquaza}
{jirachi}
{deoxys}
{rotom}
{dialga}
{palkia}
{giratina}
{phione}
{manaphy}
{darkrai}
{shaymin}

@Beav
Looks like You'd have to train the whole team :P.

@Kurushel
If You can attend then why the hell not :P? If You won't win You'll still get cool {milotic}. That's worth enough coming :D

Last edited by Maverick on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

That's true. While I do prefer shinies I have caught myself, I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with accepting one as a prize for an official tournament. The only problem is...

I'm not a battler! I'm a hunter! D:

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Think about it, hunter :P. You'd have to catch (or breed) a shiny Feebas in R/S/E. Which isn't easy to get cause as far as I remember it exists on 6 tiles of water. And it's FISHING not chaining :P. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that there's a Feebas/Milotic in wild somewhere in D/P/Pt. Good luck in hunting Your shiny Feebas/Milotic :P.

I also dug a bit further into the rules (I live in Ireland people so it shouldn't be so much of my concern. Appreciate that :P).
They will chose 128 participants on site for each age category:
Juniors born in 1997 or later
Seniors born in 1996 or earlier
Participants will play on DS Lite's given by organisators for the duration of the tournament.

U.K. World Qualifier will be held in London on 30th of May. Didn't pay much attention for the World Qualifiers in France & Germany :P.

More about prizes. Lemme quote:
Quote:

Prizes:

A. Two (2) POKÉMON® Video Game World Championships Grand Prizes: A trip for four to Tokyo, Japan, New York, NY, USA or Oahu, Hawaii, USA. Trip includes round-trip coach air transportation for four (4) from the international airport closest to winner’s residence to their choice of one of the three listed cities. Trip includes 6-day/5-night double occupancy hotel occupancy accommodations for four (in two standard rooms), a Custom Nintendo DSi game system, and a POKÉMON® prize pack. Approximate retail value (“ARV”): $10,000

B. Two (2) POKÉMON® Video Game World Championships Second Place Prizes: A Custom Nintendo DSi game system and a POKÉMON® prize pack. ARV: $1,250.00.

C. Four (4) POKÉMON® Video Game World Championships Third Place Prizes: A Custom Nintendo DSi game system and a POKÉMON® prize pack. ARV: $750.00.

D. Eight (8) Pokémon® Video Game World Championships Fourth Place Prizes: A Custom Nintendo DSi game system and a POKÉMON® prize pack. ARV: $500.00.

E. Sixty (60) World Championships Participant Prizes: A trip for two to San Diego, California to compete in the POKÉMON® Video Game World Championships. Trip includes round-trip coach air transportation for two (2) from the major commercial airport nearest winner’s residence in the U.S. to San Diego, CA on a date specified by Sponsor to coincide with the Video Game World Championships. Winners residing within 200 miles of San Diego will receive ground transportation in lieu of air transportation, without compensation. Includes 4-day/3-night double occupancy hotel accommodations (standard rooms) and transportation to and from a San Diego area destination airport (unless ground transportation has been substituted as set forth above), a POKÉMON® prize pack ARV: $2,160.00.

F. Twenty Four (24) U.S. Regional Championship Finalist Prizes: The top two finishers in each age division at the Regional Championships will receive paid travel and accommodations for two (2) to St. Louis, Missouri to participate in the U.S. National Championships. Includes 4-day/ 3-night double occupancy hotel accommodations (standard rooms). Winners are responsible for transportation to and from destination airport. ARV: $1,500

G. Twenty Four (24) U.S. Regional Championship Semi-Finalist Prizes: Those players losing in the semi-final round are considered to be semi-finalists. These players are eligible to receive a $300 travel allowance should they choose to attend the U.S. National Championships. Eligible players in attendance will receive $300 in travelers checks on site at the event at a time to be specified on-site at the event. Eligible participants who do not attend the U.S. National Championships forfeit their eligibility to collect this prize.

It's nice that they pay for the accomodations & travel :).

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Looks interesting... Too bad it's an easy 6-8 hour drive from Michigan to get to any of those locations...

I wonder why it's there's a lv50 or under restriction, why not just have the game adjust your levels like in wifi. I mean it's not like any moves over lv50 can't be egg breed and only two pokemon evolve past lv50 (Dragonite and TTar, which is banned probably for that reason) It'd probably take me 2-3 months(If I had no life) just to re-breed my team to get it to the lv50 mark to compete...

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Battles will be held in Colloseum on the second floor in Pokémon Center and it doesn't adjust levels of Pokémons. That's to answer Your question why they can't adjust them.

I think they've set this rule because not everyone after buying Platinum could get they really high leveled already. 50 lvl is an average that every player can get fairly soon.

But the real reason WHY is... Rules are rules! xD And these ones can't be broken as long as You want to compete :P.

6-8hrs, ouch :?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Maverick wrote:
I think they've set this rule because not everyone after buying Platinum could get they really high leveled already. 50 lvl is an average that every player can get fairly soon.

But what about the European players who get to use D/P? They have had two plus years to build up. a ragtag lv50 team on platinum can be done in a day no-prob, IV breeding for perfect stats/nature/EVs take lots of time to put together.

/rant-ish post

(Also it seems there is no limit on Evasion,sleep or OHKO moves... That might be fun to watch :mrgreen: )

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:59 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

How about Japan? They're waaaaayyy ahead of us :P.
And probably the reason why in Europe Pearl/Diamond is used is because Platinum version will be released on 22nd of May. That's week before World Qualifier in London (next is on 12th of June in Berlin & 20th of June in Paris). If my memory doesn't fail me You had Your Platinum released in US in March, some people are raising their team since then just for battling. Do You think that ppl started to raise their teams only when they found out about this championship? I don't think so.
I don't know what version will Japanese people use but I assume they'll be using Platinum as well (they have it since last year).
Europeans won't use Platinum mainly because due to release date.
Why will Americans use Platinum? Cause the new Pokémons are the reason why this championship started I guess.

MasterChef wrote:

/rant-ish post

I'm Polish and I have no bloody idea what does "rantish" mean :P

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:50 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm 22 years old and I'd be there in a flash.... To bad the nearest event to me is roughly 10 hours away and that's with no traffic delays.

*sigh* And there's nothing I love more then whoopin' little kids asses at video games. Stupid Maine.... We don't get anything fun.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Unfortunately I won't be able to go either. I live in Raleigh, NC and Nashville, TN is almost 9 hours from me. Not to mention I'd have to drive through the scary parts of the Appalachian mountains for my first time ever. Plus gas money, cost to check into a hotel or motel, and I can't afford to take any days off from work. Not to mention with money so tight right now my wife and I will barely be able to afford to go to the anime convention this year, plus we are trying to move out of our apartment and into a house this summer. So yeah, no tournament for me.

What really sucks is that this is the third tournament I've had to skip out on.

-Ryan

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:46 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

BLK Lantern wrote:

*sigh* And there's nothing I love more then whoopin' little kids asses at video games. Stupid Maine.... We don't get anything fun.

:D

@ryan
Oh boy, You really sound like you're in all that stuff :P

Also I wanted to fix my mistake a wrote earlier about Feebas :P. Thought it's not available in D/P/Pt but I checked and it is. On 4 random tiles on Mt. Coronet that are changing everyday. Good Luck Kurushel, shiny hunter :D

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:20 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dragonite is allowed but it would have to be the special event one that was given out at lvl 50
What I don't get is why can't they provide a wii and a PBR so that you can use the auto level.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:00 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Watching Pokemon in "Glorious 3D" would be more entertaining that watching DS' on large flat screens. This is great if you're really into the game. It's not like Pokemon requires actual talent since it's a video game, so the competition will probably be fierce.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Just your average 10 year old

Maverick wrote:
These are forbidden in tournament:
{tyranitar}

Wtf? why?

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Tyranitar is unobtainable at Lv. 50. Tyranitar evolves at Lv. 55, thus any Tyranitars at Lv. 50 would be a hack. Dragonite is allowed because there was a special Lv. 50 Dragonite that Ninteno gave out at a special event.

Funny how they don't mention Arceus... What if you were to use one? Obviously it'd be a hack, but they didn't say Arceus was forbidden. :P

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Antigua wrote:
Funny how they don't mention Arceus... What if you were to use one? Obviously it'd be a hack, but they didn't say Arceus was forbidden. :P

Well, there was an Arceus event in Japan, I think, so thus it's ok.

Image (by Ender)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

khoufu wrote:
Antigua wrote:

Well, there was an Arceus event in Japan, I think, so thus it's ok.

It's level 100.

Also I'd like to assume rotom is banned as Europe players that are playing with D/P won't have access to it's alternate fourms.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:19 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Dang! I really thought there'd be an event @ Nintendo World NYC =

Oh well, nothings even close to me now.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I turns out that my family might be going to PA around that time
so I might be able to go
Then I read that only 128 people per division will be able to battle they will be selected randomly
WTF How is that fair?

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's not fair; that's the fun part! :P

Anyway, whomever goes from the forums needs to clone that Milotic and let the trading begin! :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next