It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My game's internal battery is dead. what have I lost? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I bought sapphire not to long ago and long story short, I left it in my car where a soda can exploded and soaked it....

Now when I start it up it says the "internal battery is dry, the game is playable but timed events wont occur"

Seeing how I was maybe 5 mins into the game I have no idea what I will be missing.

Is there anything notable I will miss out on? Namely rare pokemon?

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:31 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

no, not really u will only miss out on berry growing (important to those who take part in contests) and the shoal cave tides will stay the same tide permanately so you won't be able to get the shell bell other then that, u'll miss out on nothing.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

And if you trade in an Eevee, you won't be able to get Espeon or Umbreon. :)

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

questionfanatic wrote:
the shoal cave tides will stay the same tide permanately so you won't be able to get the shell bell other then that, u'll miss out on nothing.

also, if the tide is high, you won't be able to catch Snorunt. You'll have to trade to get it.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:35 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No Berries, and no AutoChanging of Febas Tiles.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:51 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

It might be due to the Berry Glitch and not because of the soda. To try fixing the problem as per how one would fix the Berry Glitch, refer to the RSE FAQs here: http://www.psypokes.com/rs/faqs.php

Scroll all the way down to find the relevant part.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

sN0wBaLL wrote:
It might be due to the Berry Glitch and not because of the soda.

The Berry Glitch wouldn't give the "internal battery is dry" message on startup...

Shinies

Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sion9 wrote:
sN0wBaLL wrote:

The Berry Glitch wouldn't give the "internal battery is dry" message on startup...

There is an ACTUAL battery in the games?! Can it go dry just in general? How would you replace it?

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 am
Profile YIM
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Its more of a glitch - once you update the berry program, it fixes the message.

The battery's only purpose is to keep time - your actual memory is saved to a flash chip.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:21 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Lobsel-Vith wrote:
There is an ACTUAL battery in the games?! Can it go dry just in general? How would you replace it?

Yes, there is, and yes, it can go dry; it's what keeps the clock running for time-based events, even when you're not playing the game. Not sure about replacing it.
As P-L said, though, it doesn't affect 99% of the game, though. Just time-related events.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

JsXtm wrote:
Lobsel-Vith wrote:

Yes, there is, and yes, it can go dry; it's what keeps the clock running for time-based events, even when you're not playing the game. Not sure about replacing it.
As P-L said, though, it doesn't affect 99% of the game, though. Just time-related events.

Is this only with Ruby and Sapphire, or with Emerald?

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:33 pm
Profile YIM
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I definitely know that the Berry Glitch itself does not exist in Emerald, only R/S.

As for the time-based events (all the ones mentioned above), I think it's a safe bet that the feature exists in Emerald the same way it does in R/S (as the battery also exists in Emerald). You'll only missed out on the time-based events (seriously, not a whole lot), and everything else remains as is.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:25 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Lobsel-Vith wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
sN0wBaLL wrote:

Yes. Look here for info.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yes. Look here for info.[/quote]

Thanks! I'll have to save that or something. I have another question. How long does it take to do that? To just run out? Does it do it to all games? EVEN EMERALD?! What about Firered/leafgreen?

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:50 am
Profile YIM
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, the berry glitch that happened with ruby/sapphire was a result of a counter on the battery, and could just be updated and not reaplced.

Fire Red and Leaf Green both lack internal batteries (their "time" is based on steps, last I checked)

Emerald doesn't have the berry glitch.

For the batteries to run out in such a way that you must replace them would take....years. They've made them a lot better.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Peanut-Lover wrote:
Well, the berry glitch that happened with ruby/sapphire was a result of a counter on the battery, and could just be updated and not reaplced.

Fire Red and Leaf Green both lack internal batteries (their "time" is based on steps, last I checked)

Emerald doesn't have the berry glitch.

For the batteries to run out in such a way that you must replace them would take....years. They've made them a lot better.

But one day it will have to be done? Wow, where could you find batteries for them? Why are there batteries in them anyway? I don't get it.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:07 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lobsel-Vith wrote:
But one day it will have to be done? Wow, where could you find batteries for them? Why are there batteries in them anyway? I don't get it.

The battery is like a watch battery - it's used to keep track of time. I think only Nintendo (by sending the cartridge to them) can replace it.

Shinies

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:06 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This might help:

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70#p200470

Mewtroid wrote:
I'd just like to add a couple of things.

1.There are screwdriver bits that will open those irritating Nintendo screws, search on ebay for 'gamebit screwdriver' or something along those lines.

2. Some GBA games have batteries, but the vast majority use flash memory to save their files. RSE use batteries to keep track of time. I can confirm that this technique will work on GBA games, because my Sonic Advance's battery died and I had to replace it. GBA games use CR1616 batteries, I think. You need a special screwdriver to open a GBA game, though. I think they're called 'triad' screwdrivers.

3. While we're on the subject, any NES or SNES games that have save files have batteries, and some N64 games probably do too. Once again, they can be replaced using this same technique.

4. Make sure that your game WILL NOT SAVE and it's not just a momentary fluke before you do this. If the file is still there and just not loading that time for some stupid reason, the moment you pull the battery all the saved data disappears.

5. If you're having trouble finding a replacement battery, try somewhere that sells watch batteries, because these kinds of batteries are used a lot in watches and stuff. Remember to take the old one with you to make sure you get the right kind.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sion9 wrote:
Lobsel-Vith wrote:

The battery is like a watch battery - it's used to keep track of time. I think only Nintendo (by sending the cartridge to them) can replace it.

From searching online, Nintendo says that they can replace it but it will cause loss of all save data. Jeez... This makes me nervous. How long does the Emerald Battery last? Does Firered/leafgreen? Diamond/Pearl?

Also, does the battery get used up when you don't play it? I haven't played my Gold in like 3 years, I do look in it to see which pokemon I have and stuff.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It is used every second for an eternity - it is used to maintain the clock time.

FRLG don't have a battery
DP does have one.

THE SAVES ARE TO FLASH CHIPS NOWADAYS. NOT BATTERIES.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Peanut-Lover wrote:
It is used every second for an eternity - it is used to maintain the clock time.

DP does have one.

Ah, okay! So Emerald has this chip too? After the battery has failed, it can still be saved right? That's the impression that I get from it... I was wondering, if I were to buy a brand-new Emerald/ruby/sapphire and never play (Just for a collection) the battery would still run out?

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:30 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lobsel-Vith wrote:
Peanut-Lover wrote:

DP does have one.

Ah, okay! So Emerald has this chip too? After the battery has failed, it can still be saved right? That's the impression that I get from it... I was wondering, if I were to buy a brand-new Emerald/ruby/sapphire and never play (Just for a collection) the battery would still run out?

Yes, unless they made it so that the clock doesn't start running until you actually start the game. It would take a long time to run out in any case, however.

Shinies

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sion9 wrote:
Lobsel-Vith wrote:
Peanut-Lover wrote:

DP does have one.

Yes, unless they made it so that the clock doesn't start running until you actually start the game. It would take a long time to run out in any case, however.

So Emerald has this chip? --- Anyway, okay. Thanks for answering; What I don't get about batteries are why they run out even though you don't use them. It's just weird.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lobsel-Vith wrote:
What I don't get about batteries are why they run out even though you don't use them. It's just weird.

To keep track of the time, the internal battery has to keep running even when the GBA is off. It's like a clock or watch battery. The game actually is using the battery, it's just not displaying what it's using it for.

Shinies

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sorry to necromance, but...

In FR LG Em Coloss and XD they have fixes for R/S's battery thingy, so it is said.

My friend's Em has a dead internal battery. The Select+B fix does not work, and says an error happened. So then the only way would be to replace the internal battery right?

Also my other friend's Diamond has a dead internal battery.

Pokemon Diamond:
Name: Quincy
FC: 4553-8854-9459

The Rating Centre CAN'T be dead... can it??

Sat May 03, 2008 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next