It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who is the better dragon? Salamence or Flygon? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am looking for a physical dragon sweeper that can Fly. I am considering Flygon because of its STAB bonus for Earthquake, immunity to lightning and lesser weaknesses. But Salamence has greater stats(correct me if i am wrong) and intimidate.

Please give your valued opinions. And state why. Thanks.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:05 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I would have to say Salamence, for two reasons. First, it has a much better Attack stat, and second, it learns Belly Drum (through breeding), while Flygon does not. Belly Drum can be an invaluable move for a physical sweeper. And by the way, Levitate is probably a better ability than Intimidate.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Salamence lerns bellydrum!!!!! I didn´t know that; still Salamence has wayyyyyy better stats. The only good thing about flygon is stabed EQ.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:58 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

salemance is stronger but for looks, flygon is cooler :lol:

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:12 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I would prefer Salamence due to its ability to learn stat-boosting moves such as Dragon Dance and Belly Drum. These would make it more powerful than Flygon, which relies purely on STAB.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

salamence all the way!! he is in every single one of my battle frontier teams.

great attack, and intimidate. even if he comes up against an ice type, he can lower their attack (intimidate) and then you switch in something like blissey or snorlax to take the ice beam. and if hes now got access to belly drum (in d/p im guessing?) then he could become unstoppable if he gets up against something that gives him the time to use it!

{salamence} cool.....400 posts.......but its probably about 800 "really"......

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I would prefer Salamence due to its ability to learn stat-boosting moves such as Dragon Dance and Belly Drum. These would make it more powerful than Flygon, which relies purely on STAB.

Yeah but in high level matches, it is unlikely that Salamence is given the time/chance to Dragon Dance/Belly Drum.

Certainly Flygon would do more damage than Salamence when using EQ?(stab)

Also, more immunities, lesser weaknesses should be greater than intimidate right?

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:37 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

actually thats not completely true. say the opponent sends out a heracross. you switch in your salamence and almost any move it does wont hurt you too much (especially with intimidate). it is forced to switch because a flying type move from salamence will ohko it. so there is your opportunity to dragon dance/belly drum.

anyway, salamence usually doesnt use dragon dance until it knows the opponents salamence-counter (eg swampert, suicune, milotic, vaporeon etc) has been taken care of. then it has the safety to do a couple of dragon dances and procede to sweep the remainder of the team.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:47 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In true competitve, Salamence will lead off usually, because of that fact that it can't come in.
Then, with the intimidate/lure of ice types, opponents switch, salamence dances.

Look at what salamence can do, though:
~Aerial Ace/HP Flying
~EQ
~Rock Slide (gyarados counter)
~Brick Break (I face my friends T-tar a lot) (also good for blissey/snorlax).
~Double Edge (CBmence)
~Fire Blast (bye, bye skarmory) (big with GP mixmence)
~Dragon Claw (GP mixmence again)

Belly drum should not be taken seriously anymore. Salamence is too fragile for sub-drumming. And don't even try rest.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:09 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Fair point. But if your opponents start off with something like Alakazam/Milotic that can use ice moves, can it OHKO them?

Also,whats the point of intimidate if your opponents are special sweepers?
Even Flygon can use most of the moves above. But i am starting to get convinced. Pls state more pro's of Salamence, and how to handle real battle situations,especially when opponents uses someone that can use ice moves.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:41 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm not sure about stats but I think that Salamence is better, I also think Salamence looks cooler.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:08 am
PROBATION
PROBATION

Salamence can pwn ice with break brick, rock slide or flamethrower so Salamence!!!!! :D

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:02 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Alakazam also doesn't alway carry ice punch. Fire punch, calm mind, recover, and psychic are more typical. Trick is on there sometimes, but still.

Milotic should not be starting. Not in real competitive play.
However, an hp flying should be able to take care of some.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:11 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

so if you suspect someone is going to get you with an ice move, you switch to someone who can take it, like snorlax or blissey. and when that opponent is taken care of, then your salamence can finish everyone else off. competitive battling isnt all about starting with your best pokemon and trying to beat everyone before they can land a punch on you.

lets say you start with salamence. if their starter cant get you with an ice move, chances are they will switch to someone who can. so just use any old attack like earthquake. this will do some amount of damage to their switch-in. then you switch out to something else. any chance you get you switch in your salamence (eg when you predict a grass or ground move). then they will switch in their salamence-counter, so you use earthquake again. by this time you have probably done a reasonable amount of damage to it, and you can finish it off next turn. now the coast is clear and you can do dragon dance and then proceed to sweep.

it takes patience, and a bit of intelligence.......

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:37 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:26 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Salamence kick flygon anyday...

well, ironically, flygon would probably beat salamence in a one-on-one. flygon resists the earthquake/rockslide combo spectacularly, an a choice banded rockslide would at least come close to OHKO'ing salamence even after intimidate. (standard) salamence would only have aerial ace or hp(flying) to attach with. even dragon dance couldnt save him. the only way for salamence to win would be if it had dragon claw, and then its superior speed would make it win.

but i still think salamence is the best for reasons people have been discussing above. i mean sceptile beats swampert hands down (leaf blade = dead swampert) but there are more swamperts used than sceptiles (on netbattle anyway).

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Quote:
well, ironically, flygon would probably beat salamence in a one-on-one. flygon resists the earthquake/rockslide combo spectacularly, an a choice banded rockslide would at least come close to OHKO'ing salamence even after intimidate. (standard) salamence would only have aerial ace or hp(flying) to attach with. even dragon dance couldnt save him. the only way for salamence to win would be if it had dragon claw, and then its superior speed would make it win.

Not in DP since dragon Claw and crunch are a now physical...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:38 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Not in DP since dragon Claw and crunch are a now physical...

Which nobody cares about, because this was posted in Hoenn Region, meaning that we're talking about R/S/E, not Pearl or Diamond.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Yeah I'd use Salamence too. Salamence is best as a physical sweeper, and learns Headbutt naturally along with Dragon Dance, plus Belly Drum through breeding. (Plus Protect is always nice to have.) I've used Flygon and Salamence in Hoenn but I've always found Salamence better.

(Of course that may have to do that the Salamence had MAX Attack DVs...real dang lucky.)

- DNA

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I, personally, would choose Salamence for obvious reasons; it's amazing stats, which are one of the greatest for any pokemon that's not legendary. I also love it because of it's ability to learn so many amazing attacks and it's ability, Intimidate. Of course, an ice attack will completely destroy it.

If Salamence were to use Belly Drum, it's attack would be at the maximum amount (999) for the remainder of the battle or until it was changed, right?

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:15 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Why would anyone use Belly Drum? Its a move that puts yourself in grave danger. I hit from almost anyone and you are nearing your grave.

Another question. Who is the faster dragon? Salamence or Flygon? We all know how important speed is.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Why would anyone use Belly Drum? Its a move that puts yourself in grave danger. I hit from almost anyone and you are nearing your grave.

Another question. Who is the faster dragon? Salamence or Flygon? We all know how important speed is.

Actually, in-game, Belly Drum rocks. Belly Drum + Snorlax can sweep an Elite 4 member at approximately equal levels, usually Lance with a Rock move on Snorlax. Competitive battling, no, not so much, they usually won't survive losing that much HP.

And Salamence and Flygon have equal speed, base speed of 100.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thats hard but it has to be a Salamence because you always see Trapinch in
the Desert place but in Meteor falls, Bagon is rare which makes Salamence better :D

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm
PROBATION
PROBATION

Location: somewhere..in the middle of nowhere. Why do you wanna know anyway??
nah. Rarity might not not make it better. Salamence probably has higher stats(in a few sections) than flygon. Like chansey is pretty rare and hard to catch but its attack stat totally sux. Fine, maybe this is'nt such a great example, but well nvm.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Why, because salamence has more resistances, and it has a way more better stas than flygon.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:37 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next