It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Power gaming...? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Okay, so I've pretty much decided I'm turning my Emerald game into my own personal cloning facility. My problem is that I'm nowhere near the Battle Tower/Island. I am, in fact, gearing up to face <s>Dad</s> Norman's Gym (5th badge). I've come up with the brilliant plan to build a 4-man team to plow through the game with, taking no prisoners, until I get to the Battle Island area.

...I just really suck at building power teams. I've been trying all afternoon to pull something together that will allow me to blast through the game (and not take me too long to build - I can't trade over from any other games) with little to no success. My other two slots are going to be saved for HM slaves, so I'm not trying to go through the game on JUST these Pokémon.

I've pulled my Kirlia, Marshtomp, and Aron out of my main line-up to get me to where I need to go, but I'm more than willing to change out Pokémon if people have better reccomendations.

What I have now:

Marshtomp, lvl. 25
~ Water Gun -- Surf
~ Bide -- EarthQuake
~ Mud Shot -- ???
~ Tackle -- ???

Kirlia, lvl. 25
~ Confusion -- Psychic
~ Calm Mind
~ D-Team
~ Teleport -- Future Sight

Aron, lvl. 25
~ Headbutt -- Rock Tomb
~ Metal Claw -- ???
~ Take Down -- Strength
~ Rock Smash -- Iron Tail

I'm basically trying to build a team that will A) be able to hold its own against the in-game trainers, B) cover as many Types as possible and/or have as little Weaknessess as possible, and C) be full of "power houses"(i.e. - Pokémon that can go into battle and either OHKO something or hit it so hard the Trainer feels pain). I believe the term you kids use these days is...Sweeper? Correct? A team full of Sweepers.

Kirla/Gardevoir for Special (read: Psychic)
Marshtomp/Swampert for Surf/EQ purposes (Mixed Physical/Special)
...I'm mostly using Aron as my Tank right now (lol Steel-Type), but have considered switching to...Skarmory, perhaps? Breloom would give me a Fighting/Grass-type. Heracross? Camerupt?

I also need a 4th. Was looking at Sableye because of the no Weaknesses thing, but I don't know how tough they really are, :/

Tentative Moveset:

Sableye
~ Confuse Ray
~ Shadow Ball
~ Nightshade
~ ...Toxic? Shockwave?

So any suggestions? Comments? Flaming pitchforks?

I'm trying to use as FEW TMs AS POSSIBLE (again, for the cloning thing), so I'd like to try and avoid using them as much as I can. One or two is okay (as seen on Sableye), but I don't want to have like, 3 moves me TMs or something.

Thanks SO much in advance.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Swampert and Gardevoir are decent pokemon. Swampert, as a bulky water, can sort of function as a tank.
I would use Heracross/Breloom(but Breloom needs Spore)

Sableye is not that strong, I would not recommend it for a sweeper team. However...you could use
Sableye
Toxic
Night Shade/Seismic Toss
Recover
Shadow Ball/Faint Attack

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:01 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Try here once you get more of your team settled:

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

when i read the first line i was just about to reply and say all you need is swampert and gardevoir. then i read the rest of the post and realised you were a step ahead of me.

well, i have an emerald game which i use for cloning and breeding. and i got through it with just the method you used, well a bit simpler actually. i had just two strong pokemon.

{swampert}
earthquake
surf
ice beam
brick break

{gardevoir}
calm mind
double team
psychic
thunderbolt

if you only concentrate on raising those two they will be at such a high level by the end the elite four will be an absolute breeze.

the TMs used are ice beam, brick break, thunderbolt. IB and TB are renewable since you can get them at the game corner (just clone enough nuggets until you can just buy the coins you need 8-) 8-) ). BB isnt renewable in emerald, but you can buy it in FR/LG if you have those. otherwise you could replace brick break with return since your swampert will love you for all the attention you show it!!

apart from swampert (surf) i taught hms to tropius (flash, cut, fly, rock smash) and goldeen (dive and waterfall) and probably a geodude had strength.

for quite a while i also had some zigzagoons in my team to pick stuff up.

by the way, its a bit scary how similar our minds seem to work!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

apart from swampert (surf) i taught hms to tropius (flash, cut, fly, rock smash) and goldeen (dive and waterfall) and probably a geodude had strength.

Marill works well with Tropius as well, as it can learn the three Water HMs, and either Rock Smash or Strength (depending on which you decide to teach to Tropius).

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cuddles wrote:

Marill works well with Tropius as well, as it can learn the three Water HMs, and either Rock Smash or Strength (depending on which you decide to teach to Tropius).

brilliant! and it leaves room for two zigzagoons!!!

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Wow, thank you guys so much for the imput! I was just about to give up on the thread and just use my Marshtomp/Kirlia/Aron/Skarmory team... I can definitely get behind these recommendations though.

And yes, I do have FR so using BrickBreak isn't a problem for me (it's also a TM I don't really like, so I wasn't planning on cloning it - it's always good to have a back up though!)

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i reckon brick break is a fairly good move. its the best fighting move most pokemon can learn, and it gets rid of light screen and reflect. i use it on my choice banded salamence in the battle frontier. it makes quick work of tyranitars, and can almost OHKO snorlax which can otherwise be quite a threat.

actually, i take it as a compliment that someone like you (obviously a bit of a thinker/strategist) came up with the same pokes as me for the blast-quickly-through-emerald thing.

by the way, and im sure youve thought of this, when you finish you can clone the master ball. that way you can use it to catch all the legendaries repeatedly until you get one with a good nature.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:46 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i reckon brick break is a fairly good move. its the best fighting move most pokemon can learn, and it gets rid of light screen and reflect. i use it on my choice banded salamence in the battle frontier. it makes quick work of tyranitars, and can almost OHKO snorlax which can otherwise be quite a threat.

actually, i take it as a compliment that someone like you (obviously a bit of a thinker/strategist) came up with the same pokes as me for the blast-quickly-through-emerald thing.

by the way, and im sure youve thought of this, when you finish you can clone the master ball. that way you can use it to catch all the legendaries repeatedly until you get one with a good nature.

Haha, and I was surprised that you reccomended the same ones I picked, X3 Goes to show I'm not completely behind in the newer gens, eh? Thanks for the tips though - I'm currently working on my Diamond game now because of a local tournameny, but I think I've got my Emerald Strike Team nearly set.

Yeah, the Master ball cloning is mostly what I'm doing this for. The Legends aren't that important to me (as most of my Ruby ones lucked out with good Natures IMO), but the ability to transfer them to Diamond is. Runners were no fun in Gold/Silver and they aren't fun now, >_< Stupid Cresselia....

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]