It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 2 turn attcaks upgraded! 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
Yesterday I was serching the attack list and found out that attacks that take two turns have had power boosts. I'm marking the generation and the move's power.

Dive;
RBY:N/A
GSC:N/A
RSE:60
DP:80

Dig;
RBY:100
GSC:60
RSE:60
DP:80

Fly;
RBY:70
GSC:70
RSE:70
DP:90

So this brings me to my point; are moves like Fly usable in competive play now?

Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Like most people including myself I think that moves like dig and fly aren't good moves because they take 2 turns and give your opponent the chance to switch out pkmn that have a resistence to the move or are unaffected by it

Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

But not widely, I think an aerodactyl could use it somewhat.

The more resistant something it to flying attack the weaker it is to earthquake generally. Of course there are exceptions that need to be covered with the other two attacks.

It's Far from perfect, but might make a decent impact.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The fact remains, taking two turns, for all practical purposes, cuts the power of that move in half. So even if Dig is 80 BP, it takes two turns. So, if it even hits, it's just like hitting for 2 40 BP attacks. It's even worse, really, as you can switch in against charge moves.

The only time moves like this are useful are Sunny Day/Solarbeam, and Powerful Herb on moves like Sky Attack, and even that makes it useful only once.

Thu May 31, 2007 1:26 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

yep, they all suck for competitive battling

Thu May 31, 2007 1:29 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The fact remains, taking two turns, for all practical purposes, cuts the power of that move in half. So even if Dig is 80 BP, it takes two turns. So, if it even hits, it's just like hitting for 2 40 BP attacks. It's even worse, really, as you can switch in against charge moves.

The only time moves like this are useful are Sunny Day/Solarbeam, and Powerful Herb on moves like Sky Attack, and even that makes it useful only once.

That's not entirely true, because if the opponent attacks and misses, then it's the same as the start up turn never happening, better if you have something like pressure, left overs or poison in effect.

Being predictable is always a disadvantage anyway though. Sucking less doesn't mean it's great though.

Thu May 31, 2007 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Mr. Saturn wrote:

That's not entirely true, because if the opponent attacks and misses, then it's the same as the start up turn never happening, better if you have something like pressure, left overs or poison in effect.

Being predictable is always a disadvantage anyway though. Sucking less doesn't mean it's great though.

yeah but as stated earlier, say your using aerodactyl and your fighting like a meganium, aerodactyl flies, meganium misses their attack, meganium switches out for aggron, aggron takes all of 15 damage from the fly attack, aerodactyl is screwed unless it knows EQ...

Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

yeah but as stated earlier, say your using aerodactyl and your fighting like a meganium, aerodactyl flies, meganium misses their attack, meganium switches out for aggron, aggron takes all of 15 damage from the fly attack, aerodactyl is screwed unless it knows EQ...

I've never heard of an Aerodactyl not knowing earthquake. That's my example though. I wish I could test it, but it would require an adamant aerodactyl and I have jollies.

The strategy is best with high attack, but there's still plenty of pokemon that can throw a wrench into it, so some creative switching may be nessicary for everyone.

Thu May 31, 2007 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
If your Pokemon's effect is Pressure, it wouldn't decrease the PP of the attacking enemy unless it hit anyway.

Thu May 31, 2007 2:22 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The point is, it forces an extra attack. Just a small little added thing there.

Thu May 31, 2007 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: In your kitchen, holding a knife. And it's not for the vegetables...
Wellm I never noticed that! Dig use to have 100 power?

Thu May 31, 2007 2:25 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wellm I never noticed that! Dig use to have 100 power?
I was wondering about that too, but I don't rightly remember, so I was just keeping quiet for the moment.

Thu May 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]