It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Should there be Pokemon-series RPGs w/ different objectives? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

So one rumor going around is that in black and white your main job won't be to defeat gyms and collect badges, and that your father is an explorer, and that the G4 underground has been drastically improved.

This actually sounds exciting, but if its a main series game, I definately WANT there to be 8 gyms or so, and an elite 4 to beat the snot out of. I'm okay with there being different objectives, side-stories, and etc. But I want the MAIN story (apart from beating the villians) to revolve around you training your team.

That said, let's assume G5 is, more or less, like G1-4, there is an elite 4, gyms, etc. Suppose that the game's 3rd version, say Pokemon: Grey, is pretty much the same.

Suppose that there is another game that comes out around the time of the 3rd version, but with a different style name, say "Pokemon Ruin Maniac" (or something), which uses the same RPG system as G5, but that has a different focus - in this case, excavating ruins. For simplicity's sake, because making a new game from scratch takes time and money that wouldn't be focused on this game, let's say that it used an updated G4 HG/SS landscape - IE, Johto and Kanto, more or less. However, you begin the game on an island west of Johto that has a vast underground ruins system. The primary story involves, say, you looking for your friend (rival) who has gone missing, and you suspect is lost on the ruins. He/she was kidnapped by the baddie-team-of-the-game who overheard her talking about some clue to some substantial treasure. Naturally, you want to get off your ass and help, and on your way you happen to meet up with a certain pokemon professor who has in his/her possession 3 pokemon to offer you. Later, we find out that your friend met him in the underground and got him/herself a pokemon from him before being chased off by the villians.

The majority of the game takes place in the ruins, which eventually lead you to Johto near the end of the game, where you come out the ruins which were deeper than anyone imagined/etc. Naturally, you'd need to run around Johto to find your friend and the "hidden ruins" that have the big bad legendary of the game (G5 Giratina w/ orb that can be traded on G5 games of awesomeness?).

The ruins would end up being a mixture of typical caves, ruins, and the underground - w/ noticable parts on the wall that you can always dig in certain areas. The underground/ruins hybrid would be characterized by a series of puzzles and games that you need to do to clear certain areas. These puzzles should be more clear than, say, the HG/SS Puzzles, and sometimes require you to bring certain pokemon to certain areas.
The undergound/ruins would be massive, and would have a series of Pokecenters underground. In the Underground/Ruins, Dig - an HM? Or simply available for cheap at the pokecenters - would allow you to move between the underground pokecenters, or outside the ruins/underground to one of the exits that you've previously visited (entered through). Pokecenters would be the center of mini-digs in the ruins.

The island itself should probably have some interesting pokemon on it - including a relatively common electric pokemon (shinx?), since electric is virtually worthless in the underground sice for much of the underground/ruins it would have ground pokemon. The island would also have it's own daycare and various utilities accessable right away before beginning your quest. [Note: Your island would require a GTS that you could dig to and from, and use from the beginning. There's just no other point that makes sense to have the GTS in such a game. So, yeah, you might end up w/ 2 GTSs because of the HG/SS GTS on the mainland.]

In the ruins, Different areas (Temples?) might have themed pokemon, like a magma temple (heatran boss, wild charmander?, slugma, etc.), (under)water temple (kyogre boss, lots of water pokemon), etc. Maybe after defeating/capturing the bosses, you'd get some key item that would act like a badge (IE, make traded pokemon obey you). Once you have all X key items/artifacts, you'd be able to unlock the final hidden ruins and then defeat the baddies after defeating the main legendary pokemon.

At this point, of course, you could go through the 16 gyms of HG/SS, which will have all been improved/etc, and catch lots of new (old) pokemon, but all in all that'd be post-storyline stuff. The main story would revolve around you navigating the ruins/underground to collect to artifacts to save your friend.

Okay, so it's uncontroversially true that this kind of game would differ drastically from other Pokemon RPGs (hence the different name), and it's pretty clear that it would play a lot differently than most Pokemon RPGs (in a sense, it plays a lot more like a quest RPG than a pokemon RPG, depsite using pokemon to fight your battles/etc.). Furthermore, it differs from G3/G4 "remake" games, which are usually filler until the next generation, because of it's different story structure and focus on puzzles.

I think this kind of shifted focus game could work: Your goal in the game is to uncover artifacts, save your friend, and beat the baddies. After that, on a whim, you might go and be a pokemon master. But until you've uncovered all of the artifacts, you're not some pokemon trainer - you're on a mission.

So, do you think this kind of game could work? And do you think Gamefreak would do it? or something like it?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:52 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Here's another "different objective" game idea - what are the chances we'd see something like this for a GX.5 game?

*Pokemon Breeder*
Objective: Breed pokemon.
Layout: Taking place in a new land, a series of island game preserves accessable by boat, the main character's job is to catch, and breed, pokemon. The mainland may be imported from a previous generation game (G4 Platinum seems ripe), however the breeder must first pass his "breeding exams", which take the form of breeding X (where X is >6) number different pokemon of a given type (IE, the type on the latest island perserve the guy visits), and bring a team of up to 6 pokemon of that type to the "gym" and defeat that "gym" leader to win their badges. To facilitate this, there will need to be some marker to denote bred pokemon - most likely a variant pokeball unique to that game, the "Breeder ball", which functions as sort of luxory-esque ball, insofar as it increases happiness and, maybe, EVs or experience. You must defeat each "gym" with a team of pokemon you've bred; but these "gyms" genuinely only have fairly low-level pokemon. Later in the game, of course, you get to fight the mainland gyms, which are probably reworked a bit, but only after fighting the final "breeder gym" which, I would think, involves using 6 pokemon without overlapping types to battle the main breeder leader.

Naturally, there would be several means to accelerate breeding in this game, including, of course, a tutor for the move "Egg hatch" which would allow certain pokemon to assist in hatching eggs. Maybe they'd have the exclusive item "Incubator Pouch" which, if given to a Kangaskhan, would lower the time it takes eggs in your care to hatch. And, of course, there would be an incubator station that would let you drop off, say, 5 eggs a day and have them hatch for you (at level 5 rather than level 1). Power items and a BF-like Judge would also be available early on for your use.

There would, probably, be 6 island santuaries that include, most notably, the starter pokemon (perhaps at different times of the year? and always rare). The goal would be to hatch at least 6 different species from that island's main type (Water, Fire, Grass, Bug, Flying, Dark? Psychic?), and bring a team with your ID number and the game-exclusive hatch-ball (thus you can't bring the guys you catch, and you can't bring guys you traded), and, then, I suppose level up these children to a given level (so that you don't walk into the "dark" preserve gym with 6 level 1s to fight the dark gym's 6 level 40 pokemon). The main thing about this game is that initially you'll be fighting pokemon of one type w/ other pokemon of that type. Only after you've beaten the breeder master will you get to go fight the traditional gyms with an unrestricted group of pokemon. Of course, by that time, you should have around 40 pokemon to choose from. :P

Starters for this game could be, say, random pre-GX starters, that begin the game knowing false swipe, to help you catch pokemon. I figure that there should be a side-quest to get a ditto (let's say rescue it from baddies!), to make breeding easier, but for the most part the guys from the first 2-3 islands will tend to belong to one of two egg-groups per island. After that, it's anything goes egg-group wise. So, let's say the first island is the "Water 1 island", where every pokemon in it is in the water 1 egg group. The next island, say fire island, will have 1 pokemon from the water 1 group (who is also fire) who has a high-female rate, and then maybe pokemon from the ground and monster egg groups. And so on.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It would be pretty awsome to choose a 'character' and set out on a course. different per charcter. Pokemon breeder, ranger (but it would clash), draon tamer, hiker, triathlete. Each different trainer could go for a different route of storyline.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i always found that if they made an epic pokemon for the wii would be fun. one with real looking people (like colosseum but much better graphics. AND MAYBE VOICES.) like what darkrai said, you could choose your character. or even character cusomization. with classes for them. and you could visit all the regions. and it would be like a pokemon game but much better. you could choose which region you were born in so that would set where you start off and then its just kind of whatever would happen from there on. and about the pokemon breeder. could it be like viva pinata with a pokemon twist XD have to change your area and make it meet certain requirements to attract certain pokemon. tons of fun but virtually never ending since its gonna be cultivating the land to attract 500 different pokemon. i think thatd be fun. :D

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Magikarps_Beast wrote:
i always found that if they made an epic pokemon for the wii would be fun. one with real looking people (like colosseum but much better graphics. AND MAYBE VOICES.) like what darkrai said, you could choose your character. or even character cusomization. with classes for them. and you could visit all the regions. and it would be like a pokemon game but much better. you could choose which region you were born in so that would set where you start off and then its just kind of whatever would happen from there on. and about the pokemon breeder. could it be like viva pinata with a pokemon twist XD have to change your area and make it meet certain requirements to attract certain pokemon. tons of fun but virtually never ending since its gonna be cultivating the land to attract 500 different pokemon. i think thatd be fun. :D

To be honest, i think i recall reading somewhere something about alight character customization in B/W. I don't have a clue where i read it though...

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i don't really see the point in character customization in handhelds like pokemon, due to the size of the character 80% of the time (the other 20% being during battles). but w/e....
being a breeder or an ace trainer would be interesting.... breeder more than others. also, i want a mode/game where after you become the champion, you can just sit there in the room and take on challengers. that would be an interesting way to play (and this brings the question: why the hell do these retards stand out in sun, snow, rain, and sand, just to annoy our characters?? just saying). or a nurse game, based on a time before there were those healing machines at the pokemon centers!!! or a game where we could actually be the bad guys, and win!!!!!

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

in BW it would be dumb, character customization. but in a game where your a person, not some pixelated blob, then it would be cool. and being bad guys would be fun. being a rising thug in Team Rocket or whoever the baddies are. fighting cops and the rival is basically whoever you wouldve been.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i think it be awesome if there is a secound battle mode were can be the pokemon in battle and please dont say oh well your a pokemon i mystery dungeon because yo only hit hit hit flamthrower you dont move i want to douge move left right up down in a style like the pokemon pickchu park video

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Maybe you could take a trainer test to see what kind of trainer you are then embark on an epic adventure out in someplace

3DS FC (Pokemon X) 2595-0552-0873

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:19 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

that wouldn't really work, because they'd have to have a different adventure programmed for every choice... maybe as a console (wii, ps3, xbox360 equivalent) game, but.... maybe have it so that being a different type of trainer limits your options for pokemon, but allows for certain advantages??

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:30 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

incorporating the contests further would be a good start,
maybe have them earn your pokémon exp ? own badges,
having the contest badges unlock the same triggers as the gym ones.
just using the rebattle system to prevent gym battles being to easy later on.

maybe having a circuit of the battle dome challenges later on with the same base idea.

I'd love to be able to have like 50+ badges, with optional ones instead of them being so fused into the system.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:09 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think they've kind of tried this with the Pokemon Ranger and Mystery dungeon games, but it would still be neat to see your idea.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]