Total votes : 15

Best Tank? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now I wanna know which of those are the best tank or Staller and
good moveset for it. {registeel} {dusclops} {blissey}

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:02 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

High Sp. Def, Def and HP
Toxic
Rest
Impison
Mean Look

Mean Look them, so they can't switch,
Impison 'em so they can't use Rest, Toxic or Mean Look
Then Toxic them.
They can't switch out, you keep healing with Leftover and rest
Voila!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i'd say {registeel} i dont know a good moveset for i though

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

[color=cyan]I think both Dusclops and Blissey are good tanks, but Blissey should only be used against special attacks, as a special sweeper. Dusclops has 130 in def and sp def each, but reea

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

A cool tanky move set for Registeel (though I'm not sure if it would be any good...)

{Registeel} @Leftovers
Amnesia
Iron Defense
Rest
Metal Claw/ Raster Cannon(if you are using D/P)

Use Amnesia and Iron Defense until HPs get low. Then use Rest. Leftovers will compensate for the damage you take during this damage or you could use a Chesto Berry. Metal Claw for us FR/LG/R/S/E players or Raster Cannon (although I'm sure I read it as Luster Cannon somewhere...) for those who are planning movesets for D/P

I personally don't like Registeel because I like to start training Pokemon from the egg rather than already having a boost from capturing out of some weird cave.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:20 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

clawfang wrote:
Quote:
Dusclops @ Leftovers
High Sp. Def, Def and HP
Toxic
Rest
Impison
Mean Look

Mean Look them, so they can't switch,
Impison 'em so they can't use Rest, Toxic or Mean Look
Then Toxic them.
They can't switch out, you keep healing with Leftover and rest
Voila!

Oh. I liked that one i will use this thanks!

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks!

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'd say {registeel} is the best one there.

{registeel}@ leftovers / shell bell

- Metal Claw
- Super Power
- Curse
- Toxic

Use curse to increase your stats, then use Super Power, keep doin that :S or

Toxic em, and keep usin curse, then finish em off with super power or Metal Claw, or let em suffa

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Tanks have good overall defenses. Good examples are:
~CurseLax (Snorlax w/ Curse Rest, BodySlam/Rturn, ShadowBall
~Registeel
~Dusclops
~Claydol
~Torkoal w/Amnesia

Thats about it. Specialized walls/sponges (different names-don't know why, but I use them interchangeably), like blissey/regice/swampert and skarmory/forretress/torkoal are better

Edit1: Just going over movesets. Here are some good ones (used in netbattle and in-game):

Lol, no. A Regi-Tank has:
{registeel} @Lefties (NOT SHELL BELL!)
~Iron Defense
~Amnesia
~Toxic/Sludge Bomb
~HP Steel/Metal Claw/EQ/Rock Slide

Lefties because you have no time to raise the attack stat.
Iron Defense and Amnesia to raise the defenses. Toxic because its annoying, but sludgebomb actually gives damage. HP Steel/Metal Claw to do damage, though the other moves are a choice, with good reason. EQ gets rid of fires and other steels. Rock Slide for fire types and those that commonly use EQ (Like bellyzard and DDMence).

Edit for Registeel's section: Just read Obsidian Wolf's post. Some comments:
~It is luster Cannon, but that move is special (go to the DP boards and ask them why, but I'll continue the discussion through PM)
~Rest gets rid of a move, and Lefties should be good enough for healing.

{dusclops} @Lefties
~Mean Look
~Toxic
~Curse/Seismic Toss/BrickBreak/Pain Split
~Rest/Night Shade/Shadow Ball/

***This is the one I use***
Curse/Rest is a combo, and you could deal them so much damage per turn indirectly. Just hope that you don't find yourself up against taunt (all your moves would be disabled). S-toss and Night Shade is a decent combo, dealing 100 damge per turn to anything (night shade to all but normals, s-toss to all but ghosts). Brick Break and Shadow Ball is also a combo, so you could hit everything (brick break hits rocks and steels, and you WANT to get rid of the steels). You could do a pain split/Shadow Ball Combo (Pain split to everyone but ghosts, Shadow ball to ghosts). Excellent lead off (lol, imagine splitting a chansey).
Edit: While looking at movesets from gamefaqs, i discovered that noone resists Shadow Ball/HP fighting Combo (in this case, you get brick break, but not Mightyenna). Something extra to consider.

{deoxys} LeafGreen @Leftovers
~Cosmic Power
~Toxic
~Spikes
~Psychic/T-bolt/Ice Beam

L8r

{claydol} @Lefties
~Cosmic Power
~Rapid Spin
~Psychic/EQ/Explosion
~Shadow Ball

A sucky attack, but thats a trade off for immunity to spikes, and a chance to rid your team of them. The only pokemon that are immune to rapid spin are ghosts, and if you don't do ANY damge w/ rapid spin, the spikes don't go away. So shadow Ball is used. Now, if you use EQ, you can give a -SAtk nature, but if you use psychic, its a bit of a problem. Or, you could just explode. Your choice.

{torkoal} @Lefties/Shell Bell
~Curse/Iron Defense
~Amnesia
~Toxic
~Explosion/Rock Slide/Return

Much better as just a physical sponge. Without the toxic and amnesia, you open up possibilities such as flamethrowerand body slam. Back to the tank. Again, Toxi-tank. Curse if you want to really do damage, Iron Defense for more survival time. Explosion after 2 curses is really horrible (pretty much 2x attack on a 500 power normal move, because it temporarily lowers defense). Shell Bell obviously with Curse Slide, Lefties if explosion or iron defense (if unboosted Rock Slide, it wont do damage, and if you explode, no recovery). Physical-Wall/Attack torkoal after snorlax.

{snorlax} @Lefties/Shell Bell (you'll see why) CURSELAX
~Curse
~Rest
~Body Slam/Return
~Shadow Ball

Until you reach the 2nd or 3rd curse (depending on its original Def), its only a special sponge. Curse up, then Rest, then Curse more and Rest, or Attack. 3 Curses get rid of useless speed, give it more Def for survivability, and pumps up the attack. Return for power, BodySlam for Para chance and increased survivability (you might even hit first, lol). Shadow Ball for Gengar (otherwise, it would be EQ, but Gengar's immune). Walrein pulls this set off, as does Lapras, but w/o shadow ball. Or the massive attack.

Talking about Cursers, Torkoal is arguably in the top 5 as best ones. I put him here originally, but he'll go as the first physical wall.

{chansey} @Lucky Punch
DO NOT USE AS A TANK! ITS DEFESE ISN'T HIGH ENOUGH! If you have a chansey that hates you, give it Lucky Punch. If your chansey hates you and you don't have a lucky punch, Evolve it! Either way, use Blissey Set #1

{blissey} @Lefties
~Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
~Softboiled
~S-toss
~T-wave

Paralyze, Attack, Heal. Doesn't mater which move you use, they both work great.

{blissey} @Lefties
~Calm Mind
~T-bolt
~Ice Beam
~Softboiled

Popular in Netbattle, very easy to pull off. Power up, heal, attack (much like snorlax). 20% chance Frz with Serene Grace Ability, but Natural cure if you're worried about synchronizers and t-wavers, natural cure. Either way, both 95 base power.

{blissey} @Lefties
~Calm Mind
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~Psychic
~Softboiled

Only 2 resist fire and psychic moves: T-tar and Houndoom. The idea here is to burn so that there attack is lower (essentially raising your defense), and to lower there SDef w/ Psychic. I came up with this one, Not Smogon, not Serebii, not Psypokes (though I will formally reccomend it), not Bushin (though he was I think the first one not me to post think of this-as evidence he put it on a team), BUT ME! Serwene Grace Helps Alot here, but Natural Cure is important too. Plus, Psychic slaughters those that get stab on F-punch (except medicham).

{regice} @Leftovers
~T-bolt
~Ice Beam
~Toxic
~Explosion

Gamefaqs put regice compared to blissey in the following way:
blisseyisadirtylittlecheappinkwhorethatputregiceoutofajob.

It is true. Regice is second best. Nothing to boost the Special Defense. No real recovery moves (it dies while resting). It is second class overall. IT relies on the stats that it has. A 200 base SDef is nothing to cough at, trust me. However, it suffers from an HP below Swampert (deal with him in a minute). It can't do much direct damage (T-bolt barely 2HKOs Gyarados), so it relies on toxic. Explosion sucks if they bring in a ghost or physical sponge (more on that later). Blissey has a lower SDef, but higher HP, a way to recover the HP, less special weaknesses, and a way to boost the SDef. Kyogre has better HP, and a way to boost the SDef. Hariyama has more HP than Regice and Kyogre. And special resistances (Fire and Ice for thick fat ability). But about 1/3 the SDef, so thank god for that. Regice is good in-game EmSaRu, and dominated Hoenn RuSa 200. Again, a good one if you don't like Blissey, but Snorlax is probably better (has Thick Fat and does damage. In the event of Regice vs. Snorlax, Snorlax wins 99% of the time).

Speeking of Swampert:
{swampert} @Leftovers
~Surf/Ice Beam
~Ice Beam/Mirror Coat
~EQ/Mirror Coat
~Rest

Probably the best special wall for sandstorm teams, swampert has one weakness, and an immunity to the oh so common t-bolt. Very Simple Idea. If you have perfect HP DVs, you can get 404 HP. To put that into perspective, a substitute would then survive 2 s-tosses. If you want to skimp on HP, 401 with Leftovers allows you to survive 5 s-tosses with one HP to spare. The SDef is enough that it can take a Modest Sceptile's Leaf Blade, and Mirror coat it right back for an OHKO. That is, with around 200 SDef EVs. The nature depends on the moves. If using EQ, go for a -Speed or -Def. If using Ice Beam, -Atk. Speed in this case is important. You need that quick rest, so you live. It is considered a "Bulky Water", so it can stop mixed sweepers too (Survives EQ, Focus Punch, Rock Slide, etc)

{milotic} @Leftovers
~Surf/Ice Beam/Dragon Breath
~Mirror Coat
~Recover

If its like a Salamence, and they usually don't do a special move, kill them with one of the first 3 moves. Marvel Scale doesn't help much here, because Paralysis slows you down, or completely disables you, Psn/Brn take away HP. For Marvel Scale Help, go with #2.

{milotic} @Leftovers
~Mirror Coat
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

Marvel Scale is helpful here. Attack with mirror coat or move1, then, depending on the HP, Rest or attack again. When resting, Sleep Talk. FYI, Milotic survives a CH Leaf Blade from Sceptile, and Mirror Coats for an OHKO (PRetty much, just like swampert, except here, you sometimes only take 2x, sometimes 4). Purely Theoretical, here.

{suicune} @Leftovers
~Calm Mind
~Surf/Ice Beam/Mirror Coat
~Surf/Ice Beam/Mirror Coat
~Rest

Fairly simple, I think. Calm Mind up, rest, attack. After 3 Calm Minds, Mirror coat won't do much, for 2 reasons. One, the opponent will just attack with physical moves, or two, their special moves won't do anything to you. Probably 14 different ones that could do something like this (ie, CM {jirachi} with ice punch and water pulse, and wish), so I stray no farther.

Other good ones are Those with Calm Mind (Psychics, I look at you), Volt absorbers (w/o {regice}, {lanturn} would have done so nicely, and {jolteon}), Water absorbers (specifically, {lapras}, with the massive HP, but {vaporeon} works well), Thick-Fat-pokemon ({walrein}, {grumpig}), anyone with High HP and SDef.

Physical walls are much more simple. 3 good ones, really.

{torkoal} @Shell Bell/Leftovers
~Curse
~Flamethrower
~Rock Slide/Body Slam
~Explosion

***This is the one I use***
This is the one that I use. I was thinking @White Heb, w/Overheat, but the speed it gives up is minute, and its ability is like clear body, so not worth it. RELAXED NATURE IS A MUST! Its speed is like Base 0 (might as well be, anyway), it gives up the speed. And it needs as much extra unboosted defense as it can get. It takes prediction, because it won't switch in safely on a surf. It can survive rock slide with an unboosted defense. Flamethrower has the slight chance of burning, which helps it alot because it lowers the opponents attack. Sludge bomb is an option somewhere, but if you throw it in over flamethrower, you cant touch steels, and if you throw it in over the physical attack, it does no real damage.

{skarmory} @Leftovers
~Toxic
~Spikes
~Roar
~Steel Wing

Lay down the spikes, toxify, attack with Steel Wing, (hopefully get a defense boost), and roar. When you roar in one with a T-bolt or Flamethrower, RUN!. Self Explanatory Though

{forretress}
~Spikes
~Rapid Spin
~HP Bug/Rock Slide/Counter/Explosion
~HP Bug/Rock Slide/Counter/Explosion

Quite simple here too. Spin, spike, attack. HP Bug for STAB and Darks; Rock Slide for ghosts and flyers (remember: RAPID SPIN DOESN'T BLOW IF IT DOESN'T DAMAGE!), Counter if you're good w/ prediction, Explosion if low on health.

There are a few others with good defenses, but aren't practical, like {aggron} (4x weak to the 2 most common types off attacks on physical sweepers), {steelix} (Again, too many physical weaknesses), {golem} (HP Water and Grass are common nowadays, so an easy switch in; again, weak to EQ and Brick Break). Gengar is immune to 3 of the most common attacks on physical sweepers, but doesn't have the defensive stats to back him up when attacked by rock and steels.

Any questions on tanks (movesets), go visit the rating center. We'll evn reccomend tanks for your team (based on what you need).

If you think you have another idea for a tank or wall/sponge, post the pokemon and moveset here
More Later, for tanks.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I know all a need of this for now.

Peanut-Lover wrote:
Quote:

Blissey @Lefties
~Calm Mind
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~Psychic
~Softboiled

Only 2 resist fire and psychic moves: T-tar and Houndoom. The idea here is to burn so that there attack is lower (essentially raising your defense), and to lower there SDef w/ Psychic. I came up with this one, Not Smogon, not Serebii, not Psypokes (though I will formally reccomend it), not Bushin (though he was I think the first one not me to post think of this-as evidence he put it on a team), BUT ME! Serwene Grace Helps Alot here, but Natural Cure is important too. Plus, Psychic slaughters those that get stab on F-punch (except medicham).

Well,I think since i post the idea of SereneGrace burning Blissey first,
the credit for it should be mine.
But that's not very important, so that alright.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:49 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

one might want natural cure, in competetive. It has no heal bell, so toxic and paralysis kills it.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]