It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Old-school Pokemon RBY HELP!!! 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

This is a great site, so can anyone answer some of my questions? I'm starting over with Pokemon BLUE version--yeah i know this is hella old, but i like old school--and there are some things that i'm sure about:

1) Does EV training apply to this game? If so, any pointers about which pokemon to fight to increase stats? Does the type of attacks (ATK or SP ATK) used affect stat change?

2) At lv 100 (or any similar lv), do all pokemon (of the same type) have the same stats? i.e. does my friend's gyarados have the same stats as my gyarados at lv 50?

3) Does feeding pokemon calcium, carbos, iron, etc, reduce its stats? Should i wait until they reach their fullest potential before i give them these?

4) What is the difference between ATTACK and SP ATTACK? i.e. Hyper-Beam is NRM, is it ATK or SP ATK? And what about dig and toxic?

5) If i stop my bulbasaur from evolving (so it'll learn attacks faster), does that reduce its stats? How would it compare to a bulbasaur that evolves normally?

6) Sand-attack and double-team work temporarily, so how long does it last exactly? Would you prefer sand-attack over paralysis?

7) Does a style of training affect pokemon stat growth? i.e. if i let a weaker pokemon attack (just once) against a stronger pokemon or let it take damage, does this gain more experience or improve stats? Or what about a disvantage pokemon against an adventageous? i.e. charizard vs gyarados

8) What exactly is base power? i.e. thunderbolt: base power =95 Does this mean it will do 95 points of damage to HP? Does STAB work in this game? i.e. does Night-Shade increase by 1.5x for Gengar since it is a ghost attack?

So yeah that's a lot of questions, but if anyone can reply, that'd be great!
Thanks a lot! This is a great pokemon site!

Moved to Kanto Generation (nfield/2 Nov 2006): General Discussion is not the correct forum -- please check next time.

Edit from sN0w: You've posted two threads for this topic, so I've deleted the extra one.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:41 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

1- Im not sure :/ some1 else could tell ya that.
2- Not at all =l
3- Wait until they are at a high level, and then give them it.
4- Attack = Physical attacks
SP.Atk = Special attacks lol, E.G Thunder, Psychic
5- I havent tried, but i would say that, it would learn different attacks, but that stats would remain at a steady pace until it evolves. E.G - Wailmer has 130hp at lvl 38 at lvl 40 it evolves if you let it evolve it's hp will be 180 or so. Wailmer @ lvl 42 should have about 145 - 150hp, if you let Wailmer evolve at lvl 42 its HP should be there abouts of, 190 - 200
6- It is always better to Parylize them first then use Accuracy reducing attacks, or attacks that higher your evasion. i would prefer Parylisis over sand-attack, because it can be cured.
7- No, its just a game, the stats increase normally even if you could beat them with a stick or praise their every step. it would increase normally, just use vitimans when eva u can.
8- No, Base power just rates how strong the attack is. and Night-Shade does the amount of damage equal to your Pokemon level, E.G Gengar is on lvl 50, you use night shade on a Pidgeot, that Pidgeot loses 50hp.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

1- Im not sure :/ some1 else could tell ya that.
2- Not at all =l
3- Wait until they are at a high level, and then give them it.
4- Attack = Physical attacks
SP.Atk = Special attacks lol, E.G Thunder, Psychic
5- I havent tried, but i would say that, it would learn different attacks, but that stats would remain at a steady pace until it evolves. E.G - Wailmer has 130hp at lvl 38 at lvl 40 it evolves if you let it evolve it's hp will be 180 or so. Wailmer @ lvl 42 should have about 145 - 150hp, if you let Wailmer evolve at lvl 42 its HP should be there abouts of, 190 - 200
6- It is always better to Parylize them first then use Accuracy reducing attacks, or attacks that higher your evasion. i would prefer Parylisis over sand-attack, because it can be cured.
7- No, its just a game, the stats increase normally even if you could beat them with a stick or praise their every step. it would increase normally, just use vitimans when eva u can.
8- No, Base power just rates how strong the attack is. and Night-Shade does the amount of damage equal to your Pokemon level, E.G Gengar is on lvl 50, you use night shade on a Pidgeot, that Pidgeot loses 50hp.

Although, Night Shade wouldn't effect Pidgeot. At least, I don't think so... Adding to point 8, the base power is the number that is used in a complicated quation used for deciding the damage given out. Not quite sure how, but Dragon Rage will always inflict 40HP and Sonic Boom will inflict 20HP.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:06 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1) Does EV training apply to this game? If so, any pointers about which pokemon to fight to increase stats? Does the type of attacks (ATK or SP ATK) used affect stat change?

dont know

2) At lv 100 (or any similar lv), do all pokemon (of the same type) have the same stats? i.e. does my friend's gyarados have the same stats as my gyarados at lv 50?

no, never... they are always going to be different unless u clone

3) Does feeding pokemon calcium, carbos, iron, etc, reduce its stats? Should i wait until they reach their fullest potential before i give them these?

no, they increace stats and they rase the base so the earlier u give them to a pkmn the more use u getfrom them

4) What is the difference between ATTACK and SP ATTACK? i.e. Hyper-Beam is NRM, is it ATK or SP ATK? And what about dig and toxic?

hyper beam in the original version is an normal attk. but in the newest gen it will be special.

5) If i stop my bulbasaur from evolving (so it'll learn attacks faster), does that reduce its stats? How would it compare to a bulbasaur that evolves normally?

yes, just lower stats though it would learn attks quicker

6) Sand-attack and double-team work temporarily, so how long does it last exactly? Would you prefer sand-attack over paralysis?

they work until the pokemn switches out, paralisis over sand, but double over paralysis

7) Does a style of training affect pokemon stat growth? i.e. if i let a weaker pokemon attack (just once) against a stronger pokemon or let it take damage, does this gain more experience or improve stats? Or what about a disvantage pokemon against an adventageous? i.e. charizard vs gyarados

no....

8) What exactly is base power? i.e. thunderbolt: base power =95 Does this mean it will do 95 points of damage to HP? Does STAB work in this game? i.e. does Night-Shade increase by 1.5x for Gengar since it is a ghost attack?

that means it takes 95% of your pokemon's atk # and damages the openet after subtracting resistances and deffence

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Although, Night Shade wouldn't effect Pidgeot.

Night Shade is set damage, so it affects all pokemon

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Diaruga you are actually wrong Pidgeot is a Flying/Normal type while nightshade is ghost and Normal types aren't affected by Ghost attacks and as a result no damage was calculated

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:47 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

4) The attack types that are dependent on Attack and Defense are: Normal, Flying, Rock, Ground, Fighting, Ghost, Poison, Bug, and Steel
The attack types that are dependent on Special Attack and Special Defense are: Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Dragon, and Dark

6)I believe they last until the pokemon swaps out.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

archfield007, you said something about percentages,

Quote:

that means it takes 95% of your pokemon's atk # and damages the openet after subtracting resistances and deffence

are you sure about that? or is that just a guess? did you like rig up a battle with your friend to test it? does that formula work on the new games?

thanks

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Mintymouse wrote:
This is a great site, so can anyone answer some of my questions? I'm starting over with Pokemon BLUE version--yeah i know this is hella old, but i like old school--and there are some things that i'm sure about:

No, RBY and GSC work off of STAT EXP...

DVs can change those values. Also, if you rare candied it vs. training it, you will get less Stats.

Reduce? No. They increase.

Physical: Normal, Flying, Ghost, Fighting, Ground, Rock, Steel, Poison
Special: Grass, Fire, Water, Ice, Electric, Dragon, Psychic, Dark,

No. The box trick (not the cloning trick) is about how the game recalculates a pokemon's stats every time you insert them in the computer. In other words, deposit Ivysaur into the pc, withdraw, and its stats should be fixed.

Until you switch out. Paralysis, but only for a few reasons:
1.) 25% chance full paralysis
2.) Speed decrease
3.) Hits flyers (no grounds, though)
4.) Stays with opponent after it is switched out (double team ends when yyou switch out, sand-attack when they're out).
However, sand attack is better in the following ways:
1.) Affects grounds
2.) Can be used in conjunction with poison/permanent stat inflictors.

No, it still gets EXP.

95 before SameTypeAttackBonus, stats, weakness, items, critical hit, power-ups etc.

So yeah that's a lot of questions, but if anyone can reply, that'd be great!
Thanks a lot! This is a great pokemon site!

Moved to Kanto Generation (nfield/2 Nov 2006): General Discussion is not the correct forum -- please check next time.

Edit from sN0w: You've posted two threads for this topic, so I've deleted the extra one.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]