It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 pm



Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Boycott the Olympics!?! Yes or No? 

Would you boycott the 2008 Olympics in China?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
I don't care, I'll just play pokemon 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 26

 Boycott the Olympics!?! Yes or No? 
Author Message
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 262
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
Peanut-Lover wrote:
The reason why I proposed this is because the United States is indeed the best country in the world.


Call me back when you have an empire spanning half the globe.

Peanut Lover wrote:
Btw, while we're in school, we laugh at all Western Europeans


And we laugh at Americans. STFU.

Don't boycott the Olympics. It will be a major source of income and- oh, no, because you stupid protesters have already ruined it for everyone. Now China will take even longer to get out of its hole. Well done, dumbarses.


Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:01 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Eating Cheesecake, that's all...
ImmortalGuitar wrote:
This is an intricate situation.

The Chinese are known abusers of Human Rights. For God's sake, they modify their Internet servers so no one may write a single line without being monitored - and thousands of people are now rotting in jail because they don't agree with the official Communist Policy. If they type " freedom of expression" in Google, they'll get zero results. No Freedom of Expression.


And let's not talk about Tibet.

They slaughter pacific monks just because they think they are entitled to their own nation - and those assassins steal their land, and imprison them.

There is no pluralism, only the Communist Party.

I shall boycott the Olympics. Those evil Chinese must learn that they must respect international laws.


(end ramble/)


OMFG at the Stereotypes, seriously, I can't say that everything there is false, but I must say that most of this is HIGLY UNLIKELY, have you gone to China and tried to search 'Freedom of Expression' in Google? Where is your proof that every line written on an Internet server is monitered? and as for Tibet what do you mean 'they think they are entitled to their own nation' who are we to say that they aren't entitled to their own nation? also the they way you say it every Tibetan is an assasin and they all slaughter monks.

Ok, for one thing the Tibetan's human rights campaign does have a bit to do with the Olympics, Tibet wants to enter the Olympics as Tibet, but China wont recognise them as a seperate country so they cannot compete as Tibetans, another thing, the reason this whole campaign is no longer just between China and Tibet is due to the Olympics, they've been able to take this to the International Stage, they're trying to put pressure on China to give them Independancy and get the support of Major Countries behind them, such as USA and the UK.

And as for Boycotting the Olympics, it is only if the Countries boycott that the Athletes will, they've trained all their lives to get to that point, so there is little chance that they would boycott individually.

Peanut-Lover wrote:
tennis8668 wrote:
Yeah let's just go kill a million people P-L.

Silly girl is very silly - I was thinking at least 10 million.


Image

rio_uk wrote:
Peanut Lover wrote:
Btw, while we're in school, we laugh at all Western Europeans


And we laugh at Americans. STFU.


We Australians also laugh at Americans

Peanut-Lover wrote:
The United states can easily get 10 million men and women for the military invasion. And, it would do it so quickly, the Chinese wouldn't know what hit them.


I seriously doubt that, China would be able to gather more than 10 million troops much faster than USA, seeing as China is still very much a Communist State, so they could force many more people into war than USA, after all the US cannot send unwilling troops into war without conscription, which is an option that would more likely than not turn the US population against their Government.

Flaming_Wuzzle wrote:
Peanut-Lover wrote:
more words

Miss Vera has one thing to say to you:

Image


Even after debating all this I completly agree with you...

~Death

_________________
Image

^Click to Visit Pokemon Cobalt^


Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:10 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 262
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
Deathseeker wrote:
which is an option that would more likely than not turn the US population against their Government.


Here's a challenge:
Can they turn against their government any more than the rest of the world has?


Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:16 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Australia
i cannot wait to see the brilliance of p-l prove his critics wrong once more :shock:

_________________
Image
Sponsor a pokemon today to guide them through the knockout tournament! (2,000 Psybucks up for grabs)


Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:36 am
Posts: 302
Location: Upstate New York
I know it's "cool" and "1337" and whatnot to hate on Americans just by dint of their being American, but srsly gaiz, put the brakes on. :|

Yes, Bush got put into office twice (both times by electoral fraud, and in the first instance also because of a loaded and illegal Supreme Court decision). Yes, there are morons driving around with bumper stickers reading "TERRORIST HUNTING PERMIT #091101". Yes, this is the home of James Dobson and Pat Buchanan. Okay. We get the point.

However - everyone here lives in a glass house as far as that goes. I can't think of a single Western nation that doesn't have bass-ackwards politicians at the helm (lol, remember Mr. Blair? lololol) or crazy fundamentalists owith their lunatic messages haranguing the populace. All of our nations practice racist protectionist policies in various venues. And frankly, no matter the degree of corporatism practiced, we all engage in the generation of worldwide poverty and all the trappings thereof. You've got single-payer healthcare? Whoopee. Now let's see what you're doing to fix the crapfest you caused in Africa and southeast Asia with your "empire spanning half the globe".

Joe Citizen down the street didn't send troops to Iraq, American or otherwise; he didn't kill the soldiers who've died there. He and his bowling buddies aren't members of the vocal minority of buttheads who refuse to drink French wine and who call everyone between Texas and Antarctica a "mexican". Just like I assume that not everyone from the UK is a 1980s-style punk with a green mohawk and twelve nipple piercings, a "soccer hoodlum", or an IRA terrorist (lol). Not everyone from Australia wrestles kangaroos, shoots aborigines, or walks around with a Foster's in hand yelling for someone to toss another shrimp on the barbie. Not everyone from Afghanistan is Osama bin Laden.

Topic at hand, plx.

_________________
ryan_dan wrote:
(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!


Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:53 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 262
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
Oh, give over. We weren't bashing Americans (we do that where you can't hear us as you probably do with Brits. I'VE SEEN THOSE CARTOONS!), we were bashing P-L for being a over-confident idiot, but please, let's get back on topic!

If the Olympics took place in America, very few would want to boycott them because of Iraq. Get a grip!


Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:02 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:36 am
Posts: 302
Location: Upstate New York
rio_uk wrote:
Oh, give over. We weren't bashing Americans (we do that where you can't hear us as you probably do with Brits. I'VE SEEN THOSE CARTOONS!), we were bashing P-L for being a over-confident idiot, but please, let's get back on topic!

If the Olympics took place in America, very few would want to boycott them because of Iraq. Get a grip!


Actually, I would boycott because of Iraq. Among other things. :P

_________________
ryan_dan wrote:
(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!


Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:50 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 262
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
I'd watch out for Bush's thought police.


Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:06 am
Profile
Art Commentator
Art Commentator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 am
Posts: 2467
Location: London, UK
Actually, my low opinion of America as a whole is mainly caused by their peoples' over-zealous and irritating patriotism. Case in point, P-L.

I mean, come on. "We're the elected World Defenders of Justice". If a Briton said that, they'd be accused of being an imperialist, or a racist (and with good cause, I'd say).

I won't deny that there are other countries with exactly the same faults; just that America is the most vocal, and has the most impact.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:55 am
Posts: 1456
Location: Stafford, UK
Well to be honest, I must admit that P-L has undoubtedly won this argument. Congratulations kind sir, your chariot awaits.


Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:52 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:32 am
Posts: 1913
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I personally prefer a chariot like one in the 10 commandments. Pharaoh has a nice one, with gold trim and whatnot.

tennis8668 is a dude - but, how am I supposed to tell? Many have been bending genders. Look at Valentine is (though her icon shows she is a guy).

Had the United States been paid back for all of its WW II debts, we would not have a 10+ trillion dollar national debt.
If we didn't wipe everyone's sorry @$$, we wouldn't have even one-third of the problems we have now.
If Roosevelt kept us out of WW II, you nit-wits wouldn't be around. We could have stayed out for a bit longer, and then swept up after Hitler and Mussolini, ad controlled the whole face of this planet.
You Aussies probably should have been left to rot by the Japanese. Then you wouldn't be laughing at us, and we'd be laughing at you.



We've made alot of mistakes - sure, I'll admit. But we've had a higher success to failure ratio then you Brits and Aussies. Everything you guys got involved in ended up being bad. Need I remind you sub-humans that you also sent military into Iraq? Yes, The British, the Australians, and one other country sent their military in along with the United States. We didn't force you to go into Iraq. You went in on your own free will.




Need I remind you of the good 8 years we had? Kosovo was liberated. The world was doing better.
Even among our screwups under Bush, who went in to help Haiti about 4 or 5 years ago? I didn't see the British saving those people. I didn't see the Aussies restoring Port-Au-Prince. No - it was 90% American, the other 10% French and non-alligned UN peace keepers.

And what about post WW II - did you guys take on the Soviets? No. You were busy rebuilding your decimated cities. You were using American donations under the Marshal plan and every other plan that supplied you American money.



Oh, and btw - we have an empire stretching from Guam to Puerto Rico, with American money in every country. Haven't you noticed that non-American financial markets tank when we do? Everyone tanks even moreso.



Don't think I can make a comeback, huh, DragonPhoenix?




Edit: Okay, maybe I over-reacted. I don't blame ALL Australians and ALL British and ALL Non-Americans - I'm sure you have all had your little blunders, and had other countries laughing at your own. I by no means hate Brits and australians, but some of you guys, well...


Last edited by Peanut-Lover on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:36 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Australia
wow! you sure showed us... eagerly awaiting the next installment. i can't wait! 8-)

_________________
Image
Sponsor a pokemon today to guide them through the knockout tournament! (2,000 Psybucks up for grabs)


Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 399
ITT we forget that the entire premise of the Olympics was to put aside our difference as nations and gather in the name of friendly athletic competition.


Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:32 am
Posts: 1913
Location: Brooklyn, NY
You know, that is probably one of, if not, the smartest posts I have seen.

You know, it was only postponed during the world wars? Interesting little fact.

If you all don't mind, I'd like to end my rants and call a truce - what happens shall happen.

"Que serra, serra" What will be, will be.


Edit: Any further disputes can be done via pm.


Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:02 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:01 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Eating Cheesecake, that's all...
Yeah, lets end this now, I dont see anyway of actually finishing all this :lol:

So truce it is and cya round P-L

~Death

PS: Even after all this I still dont hate you :P

_________________
Image

^Click to Visit Pokemon Cobalt^


Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 262
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
Deathseeker wrote:
Yeah, lets end this now, I dont see anyway of actually finishing all this :lol:

So truce it is and cya round P-L

~Death

PS: Even after all this I still dont hate you :P


Exactly, each to one's own.


Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:49 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 205
Location: oh...noes.
I don't understand why countries are stapled as people.
Resurrecting world wars is not relevant to the present nor the future.
Patriotism was a psychological invention based upon racism and evilogy.
I feel that I can't be held responsible if an overlord of Britain does anything significant.
I am not relighting the argument, I agree that this is now just needlessness, woo world peace.

_________________
Image
thanks to hammy.


Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:25 pm
Profile
Art Commentator
Art Commentator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 am
Posts: 2467
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Patriotism was a psychological invention based upon racism and evilogy.

Until someone can confidently explain to me what the **** evilogy is, I'm afraid I will have to assume that you're a total and utter idiot on par with His Radiance, the Lord Regent P-L.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 12
-_- why in the world would I boycott it? My country isn't boycotting it that 's for sure. The Vancouver 2010 Olympics is coming up and we sure don't want China boycotting us. Don't want Vancover 2010 Olympics to turn into the Montreal Olympics which was a disaster. I don't want to be paying the debt of the 2010 Olympics. Besides, they are just trying to screw it up since they don't want China to become stronger than the Yuan Dynasty. Every time China falls into a recession, the next time it gains power again, it's historically stronger than the last time. this would mean the U.S would have to give up world domination which they don't wanna.

_________________
[url=http://www.virtuadopt.com/feed.php?id=9448][img]http://www.virtuadopt.com/images/adoptables/9448.png[/img][/url]


Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 pm
Posts: 1348
Location: C-Town
I didn't think people sincerely thought as Peanut-Lover does. I imagined it was only a global stereotype, but I'm surprised this kind of overbearing superciliousness actually exists. I feel embarrassed.

{chansey}

As Mr. Saturn reminds us, the Olympics are a way to bring the world together, despite who we are or what we believe. The Olympics, if anything, is progressive towards world peace as a symbol of international unity. Historically, efforts to disturb the Olympics, such as terrorist attacks or any previous boycott, seemed more like an attack on this idea of unification and resolve rather than the nations affected by it. I find a boycott to be regressive and by large ineffective. I highly doubt it served as the coup de grace to Communism as previously mentioned, and I can see nothing to come from this. It's better that one show he supports the ideals the games represent than to express how contemptuous he is of a nation by means of boycotting this worldwide event.


Wed May 07, 2008 7:32 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Johto
why would anyone do that its been the peak of international sports competition since they started in greece!?!


Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 pm
Profile
Art Commentator
Art Commentator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 am
Posts: 2467
Location: London, UK
Typhon wrote:
why would anyone do that its been the peak of international sports competition since they started in greece!?!

I think you're rather missing the point. I'm sure someone in the thread's already mentioned why people are boycotting the Olympics; if not, try Googling "boycott the olympics".

Then again, I'm pretty surprised you haven't already heard. I guess maybe you don't watch or read the news much.

_________________
Image


Sun May 11, 2008 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Johto
Hmm after reading it through again, i missed the point. you are right Goldenquagsire, sorry for the ignorance. However though, it would do no right to the athletes who have worked so hard all their life, and this is the opportunity theyve been waiting for their whole life.

{dragonite}


Sun May 11, 2008 12:38 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 974
Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
I'm on the yes side of these, as the Tibet issue it more known and serious to Canadians then Americans. Ever since I heard of the situation I've been disgusted of China, they have a population problem so why not let people actually leave the country? China is a huge example of a communist goverment taking the term "Power" and turning it into "Superior".

_________________
Image
Reaching out to Pokemon and MegaMan fans alike, join today!
One of the few Pokemon musics most people agree is excellent


Sun May 11, 2008 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 am
Posts: 154
Location: Ipoh, Malaysia
i don't think we should boycott the olympics. I am a chinese from Malaysia so i support the chinese in China too. I don't agree with you saying the chinese are evil. My country had also supported the olympics.


Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.