It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Awards for Trainer Cards 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Just a quick thought to get more people using Psypoke's Trainer Cards.

If there were more awards given every, say, 3 months for Behaviour, Helpfulness, Least Spam, Most Spam etc, I think more people would use the Trainer Cards.

Hmm...What about the updates? They'd cost a lot for every 3 months. Maybe this type of update wouldn't cost anything...

[There could be a rule, you have to use the cards or whatever]

Mon May 29, 2006 2:02 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

First of all, I do agree that we can have more awards.

However, the problem with your suggestions on the possible new awards is that it is very difficult to judge who deserves which awards. How do you determine what is "good behaviour" exactly? What is the benchmark you are going to use? The same goes for helpfulness, least spam, etc. (anyway, an award for most spam is out of the question. A definite no for that).

Compare these to the current ribbons. For instance, the Song Game participation ribbon. You either take part (and possibly win) or not, there's no ambiguity. Same goes for Trivia ribbons, Psyquest, etc.

As for updates, I don't think the costs are unreasonable. Song Game ribbons, Art Club ribbons, and Trivia ribbons are all updated free of charge. As such, the only times where you have to pay is for rank changes, Pokemon/avatar changes, and/or Psyquest updates. Two main reasons for this cost involved exist. Firstly, you don't want to overwhelm me with work =p Secondly, to prevent inflation, there needs to be some way to recover back Psybucks from the community. Just take it as it is, there's no reason to panic if you don't understand inflation.

Last but not least, the rules about compulsory use of the cards is too difficult to enforce.

Hence, while this suggestion for more ribbons will be considered, some modifications need to be done on your suggestions.

Tue May 30, 2006 4:27 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thanks for the fair points Snowball. I thought 'Most Spam' would be...forget it. A punishment of some sort :?

My ideas are just basic guides to what you could make them into. As I said, just a suggestion. I thought the updates were $5 or whatever. Must've misread.

Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You have to make a new request to change the Pokemon on your card.

Perhaps you (or someone) should change that. Instead of getting a new trainer card, it should be in the update form. Otherwise, what is the use of the update form? If its only for rank changes and psyquest, the use of the update form seems quite limited.

(And not everyone likes the TCs. Yes, it's quite fun getting involved and all, but I don't think people should be posting for the sole purpose of getting stickers in your sig.)

Tue May 30, 2006 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Perhaps you (or someone) should change that. Instead of getting a new trainer card, it should be in the update form.

Point taken, but TK is the one who scripted the request and update forms, so if this function is to be incorporated into the update form, he'll have to do it :P

However, I don't see a problem with filling up a "new" request form, as opposed to filling up Pokemon changes in the update form. You're gonna fill up a form anyway.

Tue May 30, 2006 4:57 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Some people happen to have limited supplies of psybucks.

Tue May 30, 2006 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Submitting a new form costs a couple of Psybucks more than an update form, I am aware of that. However, I find that the cost is precisely what prevents people from changing their Pokemon often, which was in turn what caused the number of requests to escalate such that Amphy was unable to complete all the requests in the past.

I'm not dismissing your idea though. I said if TK had the time, and if it weren't too difficult, he could change the Update Form.

Tue May 30, 2006 6:43 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If it can be worked into the update form, you (or TBK) might be able to solve that problem by allowing you to change pokemon on your TC through an update, but charging an additional, say, 5 Psybucks for each pokemon changed through this.

Tue May 30, 2006 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

And that would make the Update Form that much more similar to the form for a new request, so what's the point in programming the feature in when the request form works the same way? The current Update Form is meant to make it convenient for people to submit a request for the Psyquest and/or a rank change, without having to key in the Pokemon they want every time they want to change their rank.

Wed May 31, 2006 12:38 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Well, you could have the dropdown menu to choose your pokemon from for each of the six slots, but have it default to [no change], which wouldn't change it. Maybe that would work, I'm not exactly sure how it's all scripted and stuff. Or, you could even have a check box next to each pokemon slot that you check when you want to change the pokemon in that slot, which might help with figuring out how many Psybucks that person gets charged. I dunno, just an idea that I think might be workable.

Wed May 31, 2006 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

...what's the point in programming the feature in when the request form works the same way?

I get what you mean, but I still think it's no trouble at all to use the request form when you want to have changes to the Pokemon in your TC. You fill up a form anyway.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 pm
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

To be perfectly frank, scripting those two forms drove me nuts. I'm not a fan of sifting through people's code, trying to find out how the forums are structured, hacking other bits of the site to make it work, and not to mention accidentally resetting everyone's Psybucks...

I don't want to have to touch those two forms ever again. The only reason I did them was out of sympathy for Amphy and sn0wball who have to deal with so many requests for Trainer Cards.

Quote:
If there were more awards given every, say, 3 months for Behaviour, Helpfulness, Least Spam, Most Spam etc, I think more people would use the Trainer Cards.

Snow's already covered this and I completely agree.

Quote:
Perhaps you (or someone) should change that. Instead of getting a new trainer card, it should be in the update form. Otherwise, what is the use of the update form? If its only for rank changes and psyquest, the use of the update form seems quite limited.

The purpose of the update form was to, incidentally, mark a user who had completed the Psyquest or had a Rank Change. If I remember correctly, the update form does exactly that, no more and no less. And furthermore, there's no point in incorporating the functionality of the request form inside the update form - that would be duplication.

Quote:
Some people happen to have limited supplies of psybucks.

Then maybe they should find some way of earning more. Or they could just sit tight with their Trainer Card.

Quote:
Well, you could have the dropdown menu to choose your pokemon from for each of the six slots, but have it default to [no change], which wouldn't change it. Maybe that would work, I'm not exactly sure how it's all scripted and stuff. Or, you could even have a check box next to each pokemon slot that you check when you want to change the pokemon in that slot, which might help with figuring out how many Psybucks that person gets charged.

Since I'm going to be the one toying with all the code.. it's a nice idea, but no.

Personally I think the trainer card system is working fine, and it was a lot better than the manual system that Amphy had to endure. I know it's not perfect, but it's good enough. I appreciate your suggestions on this topic, but it's not something I want to continue to spend time and resources on when there are billions of more important things to do.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:35 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]