It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Japanese Pokemon Names in Kanji? 
This is merely a suggestion for the main Psypoke site.
I understand there are Japanese names for each Pokemon in the Pokedex, but do you have any plans to add the Japanese kanji after each Japanese name (e.g. "ピカチュウ" = {pikachu}, "ニャース" = {meowth}/Nyaasu)? I understand that it may take a lot of research and someone fluent in Japanese (which I'm not--I don't know the difference between katagana and hiragana), so if you reject the suggestion, I don't mind.
Obviously Babelfish is unreliable.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

That'd be nice if we all had the language packet installed. But for those of us who don't, all the symbols come up as little squares, so...

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:39 pm
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

There's lots of katakana resources around that easily translate the Japanese names on our site, but no, we had no plans to since I know a few people don't have the correct language packs installed.

I also don't see a really good reason as to why I should? If you can justify the need for the Japanese symbols I'll consider it :)

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:36 am
Profile WWW
There's lots of katakana resources around that easily translate the Japanese names on our site, but no, we had no plans to since I know a few people don't have the correct language packs installed.

Oh, I didn't know that language packs were required. For some reason, I thought at least some European languages and Japanese are standard issue. But then again, there are some sites that have the squares in the title bar even though the rest of the site works correctly in Japanese kanji.

TonberryKing also wrote:
I also don't see a really good reason as to why I should? If you can justify the need for the Japanese symbols I'll consider it :)

The only Pokemon-related site I saw with the kanji is Pokesho, and even then, I can't translate some of the names correctly--I just knew {pikachu} and {meowth} off the top of my head. This could also be helpful for people playing the Japanese versions of the Pokemon games (in case you're wondering, I don't have any). Don't worry, I'm not forcing the change or anything, I just thought it's a nice addition to the Pokedex.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]