It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Psydex type effectiveness? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I noticed that the under the 'General' section in Psydex, the type effectiveness chart for each pokemon has been changed into something that resembles other 'dexes out there. This I think is a problem because it's much harder to see the weaknesses and resistances at one glance.
The previous weaknesses/resistances chart was one of the main reasons I use the Psydex instead of, let's say, that certain green-coloured site's pokedex.

Is it possible to change it back the way it was? I found the old format a lot more user-friendly and useful than the current one (the 1x effectivenesses don't really need to be there, do they? They just make it harder to see the types that 'matter').
I apologize in advance if I just sound whiny, this just irks me a lot.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:02 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Not sure which chart you're referring to, but this one only has super-effectives and not-very-effectives mentioned.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'd like to think that what he is talking about is just the general descriptions that the psydex had before the changes to black and white. Before there were three columns that listed weakness, resistance, and immunity. It was much easier to glance at that and the abilities before but now the way it is organized is similar to sites like s.e.r.e.b.i.i. (LMAO at it changing to HELL that was hilarious) and what not. I agree, part of what made me favor psypoke over other sites was its ease of use and navigation. Now I find myself having to click "all" and reading through random bits of information just to find an ability. Maybe it's just me, it looks clean but... I too would prefer to see it back to the way psypoke used to be.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:06 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback. I'll see what I can do. I appreciate people who can make suggestions and criticisms without blindly saying "THIS SUCKS!!!" and having no reasons to back up their case.

The main rationale behind this change is the way that the abilities and type effectiveness gets kind of clunky, especially for Pokemon like Azumarill (who has Thick Fat and Herbivore) so we wanted a clean way to represent the effectiveness without having too many double-ups.

The other problem was that the Psydex did not handle Pokemon whose types change over generations (Magnemite and Magneton went from Electric to Electric/Steel in Generation II, while the Rotom formes ceased being Electric/Ghost in Generation V).

Quote:
I agree, part of what made me favor psypoke over other sites was its ease of use and navigation. Now I find myself having to click "all" and reading through random bits of information just to find an ability.

The abilities have remained where they have been (under the General tab) but they have been split up by generation. The way they convey the ability information is still the same, except the previous way duplicated a lot of that information. Would you be able to explain yourself further?

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:15 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ah, that makes sense (quick replying, too! I really appreciate that).
Maybe a way to 'fix' this could be an option to choose between the old style and the new style? If it's possible and not too big of a hassle, of course.

The psydex is still the best dex in terms of clarity and user-friendliness, though, despite the changes. C:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:43 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

What I meant was after the BW move updates and what not things have not just been a "quick glance" by any means. For instance, if I wanted to see level up moves, before the update all generations were displayed and the levels in their respective generation to the left. But now you have to choose "all" in order to see them because they default to black and white. I understand what you mean with having multiple abilities that provide different resistances and weaknesses, I remember there being an ability drop down box on the right hand side which to me wasn't inconvenient at all. I liked it more when the abilities were more pronounced, I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but it seems like the abilities list is small and between large sections. It's just easy to be looking for it but go over it. In general I guess I am just complaining about change, I agree with the reasoning behind the changes made but I am the type of person to have an "if it isn't broke" mentality and I was quite fond of the old layout. I used this site extensively with the DP release back in 07 and had hundreds of posts on another account here. This site offered convenience and options. I am not saying its worse now by any means, just different and I am not sure for the best. But I do have one complaint and it has nothing to do with layouts, what is with the new lag on this site? At first I thought it was maybe the video section eating up bandwidth but I can't even get those pages to load. I have rather good internet too and have no problems loading pages or streaming videos. Even as I write this I cannot get the psydex to load. Perhpas it is all the changes with the BW updates as you all continue to work on them, none the less it is sucky to have to wait literally minutes to have something load. I hope some of these comments help, I still think that psypoke is the best poke forums out there. So all in all this would be what i'd like to see again

3 columns for weaknesses, resistances, and immunities
The ability for all generations right under that
all moves and what not displayed at all times, and then if you want a certain generation you could choose instead of it being on the BW default
updated moveset section for 4th gen pokemon (thats a TON of work I don't really expect any depth to that on a realistic level)

That's about it for me. None of the "problems" I listed are deal breakers, just minor nuisances. Thanks for your time

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Zero Cool wrote:
before the update all generations were displayed and the levels in their respective generation to the left

When you have the "all" selected, yes, but it's NEVER shown all generations by default. That hasn't changed at all.

Zero Cool wrote:
I remember there being an ability drop down box on the right hand side which to me wasn't inconvenient at all

That only showed other Pokemon who learn that same ability. Has nothing to do with the display of the information.

Zero Cool wrote:
I am the type of person to have an "if it isn't broke" mentality

Except it WAS broke. As previously mentioned here and in the update, it was a disaster with Azumaril or Rotom; when one type is listed as both a weakness and a resistance, it's not at all clear to a visitor at a glance.

Zero Cool wrote:
This site offered convenience and options

And the options are all still there. When you set your generation to look at, it will stay set across the pages.

Zero Cool wrote:
what is with the new lag on this site

The server gets overloaded from time to time. This is nothing new.

Zero Cool wrote:
3 columns for weaknesses, resistances, and immunities

Just too clunky.

Zero Cool wrote:
The ability for all generations right under that

It's been there the whole time

Zero Cool wrote:
all moves and what not displayed at all times, and then if you want a certain generation you could choose instead of it being on the BW default

The option is there; defaulting to "All" is a terrible idea, as it makes the pages far larger than they need to be.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like the new change but was really confused at first - I thought x2 was a good thing and x0.5 was a bad thing, because type information (x2) implies that the pokemon will damage opponents for x2 damage, maybe you could change the heading to "Weaknesses (x2) and Resistances (x0.5)?" Otherwise a toggle option similar to the levelup moves but with the old style weakness and resistance table (I'm one of those visual people who like to see if a Pokemon has more weaknesses than resistances etc...) would be really good.

Anyway I agree with the possibility of changing the default set to "all," I don't use the Psydex for pokedex information, nor pokemon sizes etc..., but primarily for base stats and level up moves. I can deal with clicking once more to view all but from a personal viewpoint it'd much prefer if I didn't have to.

I think the Psydex is still the best on the internet though, and yeah these are just little things I'd like to see. I'd understand if these changes may not happen but just a few feedback notes from user

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I admit I liked the old way in which the type effectiveness information was displayed, but I don't mind the current view.

This is just a general preference of mine: I would like to see the Type and Ability Information (more important) above the Pokedex entries (less important). I suppose you could even move the evolution line data below the Type and Ability Information too, since most people already know the evolution lines off by heart (except the method of evolution of course, such as the level to reach).

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've implemented a solution that I'm mildly approving of, and hopefully this will satisfy some of the requests in this thread (http://www.psypokes.com/dex/psydex/292 and http://www.psypokes.com/dex/psydex/184 for example). The old grouping of the types is now back, but in a more tabular form to account for the variations in type and ability across generations.

Quote:
I like the new change but was really confused at first - I thought x2 was a good thing and x0.5 was a bad thing

I agree, I thought I made a change to this but it must have been lost in the Internets somewhere; I've color-coded the weaknesses, resistances and immunities to clarify this.

Quote:
Anyway I agree with the possibility of changing the default set to "all,"

Once you have selected "all", it should remain that way for all Pokemon pages that you visit as it stores this in your cookies. The default will remain as the most recent generation, in this case, Black and White, and I think it should stay this way just to keep the pages less cluttered. The option is always there for you to customize anyway.

Quote:
This is just a general preference of mine: I would like to see the Type and Ability Information (more important) above the Pokedex entries (less important)

I'll see, there are bigger priorities around the site, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

Thank you all once again for your feedback.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]