It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:24 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Double Posting 
Author Message
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 173
I would like to suggest that we ammend rule 13 of the forum rules (about double posting) to allow for double posting where absolutely necessary.

As seen in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20916&start=1600

_____

In this case I wasn't double-posting for nothing, I posted to ask a question. Editing my last post would have resulted in less people seeing my question.

_____

Thanks for the consideration :)

_________________
Image Image Image
I'm the Ice Champ!
Smell You Later!


Sun May 09, 2010 3:48 pm
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 3
There is a reason why we have this rule. The reason is the EDIT button =)


Sun May 09, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 am
Posts: 614
Location: Coming soon to a store near you!
Ajit...i strongly agree with you, notifications are sent via email to me on topis i have subscribed to, and say you were to have just edited a post, i wouldn't have an idea that something has chenged. So i think the no-double-posting rule is good if it's too much like spam and its meaningless but people should go a bit more easy on the rule. ESPECIALLY in a Q&A thread.

2BeTaMasta wrote:
There is a reason why we have this rule. The reason is the EDIT button =)


Did you read this?

Ajit wrote:
In this case I wasn't double-posting for nothing, I posted to ask a question. Editing my last post would have resulted in less people seeing my question.


{darkrai}

_________________
[img]http://i.imgur.com/VFUEj21.png[/img]


Last edited by WirelessBrain on Sun May 09, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun May 09, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 173
Darkrai-follower wrote:
Ajit...i strongly agree with you, notifications are sent via email to me on topis i have subscribed to, and say you were to have just edited a post, i wouldn't have an idea that something has chenged. So i think the no-double-posting rule is good if it's too much like spam and its meaningless but people should go a bit more easy on the rule. ESPECIALLY in a Q&A thread.

2BeTaMasta wrote:
There is a reason why we have this rule. The reason is the EDIT button =)


Did you read this?

Ajit wrote:
In this case I wasn't double-posting for nothing, I posted to ask a question. Editing my last post would have resulted in less people seeing my question.


{darkrai}


haha thank you Darkrai-follower, at least I know someone's on the same page I'm on.

_________________
Image Image Image
I'm the Ice Champ!
Smell You Later!


Sun May 09, 2010 6:23 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 am
Posts: 614
Location: Coming soon to a store near you!
Indeed, i just hope the mods/admins...whoever, read this and decide on at least a slight change.

{darkrai}

_________________
[img]http://i.imgur.com/VFUEj21.png[/img]


Sun May 09, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:53 pm
Posts: 386
Location: Confidential for specific reasons...
While I can understand where you're coming from, I will look at it from both sides.

I've seen double posting, both really good and really bad.

Where do you start to allow it? People will always ask for exceptions, and the more people get them the faster this forum will clutter. The rule is most likely in place to prevent from spamming solely in one topic to increase their post count. I can understand why there would be places where it can be good to double post, but they can't change the rule because then everything becomes a free-for-all. Understand that I don't think lowly of you because you double post.

I would merely like to state that if given the chance, there are people who would take and those extra posts would annoy those of us trying to read a simple topic that turns far too long because of pointless posts.

I'm sorry to say that I agree with the admins on this one. I see your point, but if they make a change, then members will soon start clamoring more because the mob mentality outweighs those of us who don't see double posting as necessary.

Those are my thoughts, and please be considerate of how much crap the admins already put up with because of people who don't follow this rule.

Now in your case, you meant nothing by it, but most members don't see it that way. There are some mavens who think that they should tell off all the people talking out of turn. And that's the rudimentary of double posting.

There is an edit button, and while it is not as effective for placing new material in a post where you want others to see it, in general Psypoke is not a forum where you have to worry about finding someone who will respond to what you already said anyways...

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

_________________
It's great to complete a Pokedex! So I'll need some help...

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge


Sun May 09, 2010 9:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 173
I definitely see your point AEPMT, but I'd also like to point out that simply rewording the rules to allow for double posting where absolutely necessary will more than likely not change someone's opinion about if they themselves are going to double post or not... I mean if someone is dense enough to double post just to up their post count, the rules aren't likely to influence their decision to do so anyways.

I just want this rule amended because

A) Sometimes double posting is necessary

B) I want people off of my (and other's) back for double posting when I'm not abusing it

C) A rule crazed forum is likely to repel people from posting in the first place because of a fear that they might be doing something wrong

thanks for reading!

_________________
Image Image Image
I'm the Ice Champ!
Smell You Later!


Sun May 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 am
Posts: 614
Location: Coming soon to a store near you!
Ajit wrote:

C) A rule crazed forum is likely to repel people from posting in the first place because of a fear that they might be doing something wrong

thanks for reading!


Yes...Agreed.

But i can see what you mean AEPMT, but surely anybody can see teh difference between a post that would clutter and a post that should be let off with. We're not syaing to have the rule completely removed, just to have it 'loosened'. Yes it may start people cluttering with posts, but if the rule gets changed..STATE what the exceptions are. i.e. Question and answer threads. Or even...Warning by PM instead of right below your double post someone saying, 'DOUBLE POSTING, BAD, BAD,'..etc. It's first of all degrading especially in Ajit's example he provided and inneccasery.


{darkrai}

_________________
[img]http://i.imgur.com/VFUEj21.png[/img]


Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:03 am
Posts: 3835
Location: Singapore
Actually, you can delete your original post and then post an entire new one. Then it would count as a new post to the thread.

However, as much as the rules state so, I don't think the moderators penalise every single double-post. I think moderators know how to judge when a double-post seems to be justified, and therefore let it slide.

_________________
ImageImage


Sat May 15, 2010 10:12 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 am
Posts: 614
Location: Coming soon to a store near you!
sN0wBaLL wrote:
Actually, you can delete your original post and then post an entire new one. Then it would count as a new post to the thread.

However, as much as the rules state so, I don't think the moderators penalise every single double-post. I think moderators know how to judge when a double-post seems to be justified, and therefore let it slide.

Ahh, thats good to know, Thanks.

_________________
[img]http://i.imgur.com/VFUEj21.png[/img]


Sun May 16, 2010 5:08 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 173
Ahh thanks sNOwBaLL, delete/repost will work, but of course, if you asked to consecutive questions for example, you have to copy your last question, delete the post, post a new reply that includes the original question, and then your second question. Just an example.
A little bit more complicated than just posting a new question, but either way..


On the note of being penalized for double post, I think you're definitely right, but I just want members who feel they need to make a citizens arrest would get off my and collective others' back

_____

So if the rule isn't going to be amended, I assume I have the right to tell the next person to correct me on Forum Etiquette to shove it, right?

:P

_________________
Image Image Image
I'm the Ice Champ!
Smell You Later!


Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am
Profile
The Geek
The Geek
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:10 am
Posts: 1535
Location: Milliways
Ajit wrote:
but I just want members who feel they need to make a citizens arrest would get off my and collective others' back

I assure you, backseat moderating pisses the mods of at LEAST as much as unnecessary double-posting, and significantly MORE than justifiable double posts.

_________________

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat


Sun May 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 50
Location: The provisions at the Wild West.
Well,I can understand what are you saying. People in forums double-post for reasons.

_________________
Howdy, pardners!


Mon May 24, 2010 12:44 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.