It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Suggestion about new topics 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm sure you have all seen the annoying topics that come up advertising...stuff. I have thought of a way to combat it, though I don't know if it is possible.

WOuld it be possible to have some kind of restriction on the topics you can make? For example, if there was a rule that you could only make a new topic when you have five posts or more, it would stop those sorts of people from doing it. They would have to spam five times before being able to create a topic, and to be honest, they could have pissed five other sites off in that time as opposed to wasting time here.

When I say rule, I don't mean one that's listed in the FAQs, I mean an actually enforced one. I have no idea how to use a computer or the volcabulary but I mean a proper restriction, where a little window comes up saying "I'm sorry, but you must have 5 posts or more to create new topics" or something.

Just a thought.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:15 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Interesting... But it would probably create heaps of spam.

Not forgetting, maybe the spambots would simply be programmed to post in a thread currently existing.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Interesting... But it would probably create heaps of spam.

That was my initial thought as well, but would a "spambot" really spend time posting five times when it could have used that time to go to five other forums?
GQ wrote:

Not forgetting, maybe the spambots would simply be programmed to post in a thread currently existing.

Ah. But that might reduce the number creating new threads, as most seem to do. And if this system even stops one "spambot" from creating a new pointless thread, it would have done it justice. [/touching speech]

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:38 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Wouldn't new topics created by spambots be easier to spot than if they were to spam by posting in existing topics?

I can see your point, but what about new members who sign up and want to ask questions immediately, or for guests who post in the Help section?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wouldn't new topics created by spambots be easier to spot than if they were to spam by posting in existing topics?

I can see your point, but what about new members who sign up and want to ask questions immediately, or for guests who post in the Help section?

Yet another good point. I'm not sure then. T'was just a suggestion, never mind. Though could we leave it open in case others get an idea as to how we could stop it...

Oh well, worth a try! :wink:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]