It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Pokemon MMORPG proposal 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I would like to propose a Pokemon RPG. To the best of my searches, nobody has made one as of yet. I have been doing web programming for a few years now and as of late I have acquired a lot of knowledge in PHP and MySQL.

I have created RPG battling engines (Cobalt Calibur) and I have created an online game (work in progress) showing off a custom built AJAX powered map engine (Cobalt Calibur 2.0). With these two programs under my belt, not to mention working experience with all the languages required to create an MMO, I feel as if I have the skillset required to create such a game.

Why am I mentioning this here? After looking around on the internet it would appear that psypokes has the most extensive collection of Pokemon stat's for various levels, attacks, element information, item information, yadda yadda, all of which would be required for the Pokemon MMO project. I went to the contact us section and it is currently closed, thus I am posting this here.

Long story short I am asking for a dump of the Pokemon stat database or be able to form some sort of collaboration with the admins of psypokes in order to achieve this project.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Its still in development though

CLICK HERE

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Looks like that game is using a downloaded client with an engine written by a third party. I was more interested in creating a browser based MMO (Playable in every OS, for example).

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

This looks more like a suggestion to the Admins rather than an advertisement, so I'll move it to Viridian Forest.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

A couple of years ago, I was looking into creating a Pokemon Battle Simulator using PHP and MySQL, but found that data persistency just wasn't cutting it with PHP. Furthermore, I felt an OOP would be more suited to such a task, so that project was abandoned. I believe it is possible, but a lot of resources would have to be dedicated towards this.

Alternatively, there is the possibility of using a Java Applet embedded in a web page, but after experimenting a little, Java's insecure bytecode made security a huge issue. Furthermore, the fact that IGN/Gamespy doesn't run Tomcat made server communication difficult, so JSPs were out of the window as well.

In any case, it looks like you have some frameworks for which to start a Pokemon MMORPG. I think if you're truly dedicated to this project, then we're willing to help you out - preferably, we'd like to do more than just provide the "Pokemon stat dump". Let me know what else you could need from us; preferably, via private message :)

Thanks,
TonberryKing
- CoWebmaster

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]