It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Swift53's World History Face-Off! 
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Think you know your history? Well, I'm going to test your wits. I'll be quizzing you on facts throughout the history of Earth, from beginning of time to the present day. Some questions will be simple definitions; other questions will take thought.

The competition is comprised of 6 rounds, each marking a new point in history. There will be a total of around 100 questions, we'll see. The last question of the the 6th round will mark the end of the trivia challenge, and the winner (person with the highest amount of points) will have their name in my sig (I cannot give you hot glowsigs, sorry).

Scoring goes:

5pts --> Correct response that fully answers the question. First to respond.
4pts --> Correct response that partially answers the question. First to respond.
3pts --> Correct response that fully answers the question. Second to respond.
2pts --> Correct response that partially answers the question. Second to respond.
1pts --> Correct response. Third to respond.

Note that after I get the correct response, a new question will appear after ten minutes. Occasionally, there will be a bonus question along, that's super tough to solve. It'll be worth three points, and the first correct response only counts. Here we go!

Round 1: The First Civilizations and Empires: Prehistory - 500CE

Q: Define prehistory.
A: Prehistory is the period of time before writing was developed.

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:19 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Prehistory is what occoured before humans began recording history, approximately 6000 years ago (or so the logic goes).

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

JsXtm: 5

Q: When did the species Homo sapiens arrive on Earth, and what species is it?
A: The species Homo sapiens, also known as humans, first appeared on the Earth around 200,000BCE. However, they were not significant in the world until about 90,000BCE.

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Homo Sapiens, or rather, humans, first appeared 90,000 years ago.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:41 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

sN0wBaLL: 5

Q: Name two ways neanderthals used flint for their tools. You may use the tools they used as an examples.
A: Neanderthals used flint in many ways, such as for hunting, cutting plants, digging roots, building shelters, and for cleaning hides for clothing.

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

They used flint for making other tools, e.g. as a tool maker, they used it for knives for skinning animals and cutting meat, and for hunting equiptment, i.e. spears.

(( I don't think that's right o_0 ))

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:56 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Undeadcutlet: 5

Q: Define the Neolithic Revolution. Make sure you describe what happened to begin the revolution!
A: The Neolithic Revolution was the shift from hunting of animals abd gathering of food to the keeping of animals and the growing of food on a regular basis that occurred around 8,000BCE.

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Neolithic Revolution- When humans settled down and began to grow their food, rather than hunting for it. They formed more social societies, rather than being in nomadic clans.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:17 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Undeadcutlet: 10

Q: Define the Bronze Age. When did it happen, and what was the main change?
A: The Bronze Age was the period from 3000 to 1200BCE that was characterized by the widespread use of bronze for tools and weapons.

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

The Bronze Age refers to a period in a civilization's development where they learn techniques of smelting copper to form the alloy bronze. It is part of the three age system comprising the Stone Age, itself and the Iron Age. That's about all I can say :?

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Undeadcutlet: 10
sN0wBaLL: 10

Q: How did religion play into the Neolithic societies? Give examples such as buildings, religious leaders, etcetera.

BONUS: Roughly when was the first razor used to shave invented?

EDIT: Seeing as there's a low response to this question, I will change it at 17:00EST. See you then! -S-

{dragonair}

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Religion was a major part of ancient society, the priests would serve as the leaders of the city-states. The main temples were the ziggurats, the center of Mesopotamian city-sates that served as a cultural center, grain storehouse, and at the top had a temple made of azure and gold where the city's chief god supposedly lived. The priests would also meet here to "converse with the heavens."

At this point most cultures were polytheistic religions, meaning they had many gods. Some even had as many as 5,000 gods!

And for the bonus, I'm going to say the first razor was invented by the Sumerians (what didn't they invent?), so that would be around 3000-2000 BCE

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]