It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Siege of Psypokia- Reboot in Progress! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

In the distant future, the Internet has erupted into a state of civil war.  Site has waged war on site, alliances have been made and broken, and many attempts at peace have failed.  Shortly after the collapse of the great nation of Google, almost all hope of peace has been erased.  The small kingdom of Psypokia, which consists of only the Castle Psypokes and a few outlying hamlets, is one of the few safe havens left.  But the drums of war are slowly approaching, and the members of Psypokia are preparing for the inevitable...

This game is a variation of the classic Siege forum game.  For those of you who do not know, Siege is a game in which rounds of enemies attack a centralized base in waves, and the players use different attacks to defeat the enemies, the attacks being either from pre-existing sources, or created by the players.

This is NOT an RPG, although there are some story elements to it.  Players do not need to create a character, they will be referred to as their username when they attack.

Gameplay:

- The main base of operations is the Castle Psypokes.  The castle starts out with 3000 HP, and if it ever drops to 0, then Psypokia has been defeated, and everyone loses the game.  Try not to let that happen.
- There will be special characters, controlled by me, which have fixed attacks and HP.  There'll be one to start off with, but you'll will gain additional characters throughout the course of the game. Try not to let them die either.
- Enemies will attack in waves, and all of the enemies in a wave must be defeated in order to move on to the next round.
- Players can use attacks to either damage an enemy, heal the base and special characters, summon an ally, etc.
- At the end of each round, there will be three rewards available to choose from.  These can be extra HP for the castle or characters, bonuses to certain attacks, items, or other similar perks.  The players may vote on what they want, and the option with the most votes is selected.

Attacking:

- Each player may only attack once per turn.  After a few people have attacked, I will calculate the damage total and effect of each attack.  Then, people may attack again if they already attacked last turn.
- Attacks can be just about anything, whether they're taken from a video game or movie, a generic attack, such as swinging a sword, or something completely made up. If you do make up a move though, be sure to describe at the least the basics of what it does, or it will not be accepted.
- Moves have a chance at missing, critically hitting, or completely backfiring.  I will use a random number generator to determine this.
- You can summon something to help as your move.  This can be literally everything, from George Washington, to a Charizard, to a robot.  They will attack the enemies for that round, and can be defeated.  A player isn't able to control the actions of what they summon, and may only summon one thing per round.  At the end of the round, whatever has been summoned will leave. No one can summon the same thing twice in the game. So for example, if one person summons a robot, a robot can't be summoned again in the game.
- The enemies will attack after each of the players has attacked.  They can either attack the castle, special characters, summons, or the players themselves.  If a player is attacked, then they may be disabled for a couple of turns until they can attack again.  Enemies have chances to miss and such, like players.
- Each of the special characters can attack once per turn with their preset attacks.  They too can miss and so on.

To make things a little bit more clear, here is an example round.

EXAMPLE:

twistedturtwig wrote:
"Three soldiers came running out towards the castle.

Soldier
HP: 50
-Pretty much a guy with a gun.  Soldiers can use their gun to attack, and each carry a single grenade.

And the round begins.

Player 1 wrote:
I'll attack Soldier A with a Keyblade.

Player 2 wrote:
I'll fling a Bomb Bird at Soldier C

Player 3 wrote:
I'll call out a Pikachu to attack.

Player 4 wrote:
I'll use Mega Shadow Ultra Cannon on Soldier B.

twistedturtwig wrote:
Player 1 attacked Soldier A with his Keyblade!  The soldier takes 35 damage and falls backwards.
Player 2 shoots out a Bomb Bird from his catapult.  Soldier C dodges it, and the blast hits the castle instead.  The castle takes 20 damage. A bit of the blast also hits Soldier B for 5 damage.
Player 3 summoned a Pikachu!  The electric mouse Pokemon stands ready to attack.
Player 4 does nothing, as they made up a move that they didn't describe.

Soldier A is struggling to get up!
Soldier B shot at Player 3 with his gun!  Player 3 is immobilized for one turn!
Soldier C chucks his grenade at the castle.  It explodes, doing 30 damage.

Soldier A: 15/50 HP
Soldier B: 45/50 HP
Soldier C: 50/50 HP
- Used only grenade

Pikachu: 70/70 HP
Psypokes Castle: 2950/3000 HP

Player 1 wrote:
I'll use a Fire Flower on Soldier A

Player 2 wrote:
I'll patch up the castle a bit.

Player 3 wrote:
Darn, I can't attack this turn.

Player 4 wrote:
Ok, instead I'll use the Master Sword on Soldier C

twistedturtwig wrote:
Player 1 used a Fire Flower on Soldier A.  The fireball completely burned him up, leaving a pile of ashes on the ground. Soldier A was defeated.
Player 2 fixed up the castle.  The castle gained 40 HP.
Player 4 used the Master Sword on Soldier C.  The blade did 150 damage!  A critical hit!  Soldier C was defeated!

The Pikachu used Thunderbolt on Soldier B.  Soldier B took 35 damage.  The jolt was strong, but the soldier got right back up.

Soldier B tried to shoot at the castle, but the gun jammed, blowing up!  Soldier B took 10 damage! Soldier B was defeated!

Psypokes Castle: 2990/3000 HP

The last of the enemies were defeated!  The castle is safe, for now.

Choose one of the three power-ups as a reward.
Reward A: .....
Reward B: .....
Reward C: .....

And that's an example of one possible round of the game. The examples I gave of enemies and attacks were just examples. I'll use better enemies than just "Soldiers" when the actual game starts. Also, feel free to use as creative attacks as you want. There fine as long as they aren't made up.

I'll probably post the first round on the weekend. Until then, anyone is free to ask questions regarding the gameplay or rules. I really hope to get a lot of interest in this game, as I've been working hard on it for a while now. Thanks!

Last edited by twistedturtwig on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Thu May 17, 2012 6:26 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm definitely in. But, you do realize that when a gun misfires, it doesnt blow up. When a gun jams, however, it could blow up. There is a difference.

Goodbye
"

Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Yay! I can summon George Washingt-aww, I can't control who I summon? That's not fair. ;_;
But, you know what, calling out historical figures from the past is going to be awesome. Sign me up.
Plus, you guys will get to see what kind of video games I've been playing.

Thu May 17, 2012 9:58 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
I'm definitely in. But, you do realize that when a gun misfires, it doesnt blow up. When a gun jams, however, it could blow up. There is a difference.

Whoops. XD I'll fix that now.

DNA wrote:
Yay! I can summon George Washingt-aww, I can't control who I summon? That's not fair. ;_;
But, you know what, calling out historical figures from the past is going to be awesome. Sign me up.
Plus, you guys will get to see what kind of video games I've been playing.

What I meant by that was that you can choose what to summon, but you can't control their actions. I'll take care of controlling them. So yes, you can summon George Washington if you want DNA. I'll clear up that section a bit more.

Thu May 17, 2012 10:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sounds fun, I'll join.

I do have this idea for the game though: you start off with normal and not-as-powerful weapons, such as a plain gun or sword or etc. But you can use your psybucks and BUY upgrades to your weapons, or buy completly new weapons. Although you should make the prices fairly low to keep it fair to most of the players. And obviously, the more powerful the upgrades, the more they will cost.
Also, you could have a way to revive other players who have died.

Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: On Pilgramage, on this nice little planet called Earth. I don't think they've noticed me yet.
I'm in. Finally, my ridicuosly violent rated-m game knowledge will come in handy!
Better watch out becuase there is going to be a alot of Mass Effect Three references. In other words, ME3 references. ME3 references everywhere.

Thu May 17, 2012 5:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well hell, if were playing it like that... Expect a lot of MoH, CoD, SR3, and Ace Combat references!

Goodbye
"

Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sounds like an intriguing game plus it's an entirely new thing to me, so I'm definitely in. But compared to others...My poor knowledge of any video game outside Pokemon will be wholly exposed D8

Oh well, I can always summon George Washington and his terrifying axe to hack off any enemy's head =v=;
And if he's taken I still have...Abraham Lincoln and his intimidating...Emancipation Proclamation?

ShinyLucario: Failing in video games, history, and life in general since 2009

Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

This sounds like fun. Im in. Prepare for Some Supreme Commander and DFO awesomeness!

Quick question, how will you calculate the effects of healing or buffing moves? You sorta didn't mention that in your explanation.

Will we also have to describe the skills we use from video games? For example:

Player A activated Frenzy (From DFO, attacks with an extra blood sword, chance of bleed on hit enemies, when a bleeding enemy is killed, some Hp is healed to the user, user loses X amount of Hp per turn)

Or will we just have to say what we use?

Fri May 18, 2012 5:09 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm in as well. Finally a use for all of those fantasy/sci-fi books!

Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I hate to do this to you guys, but I'm going to have to postpone the first round for a bit. Schoolwork has been demanding, with finals coming up soon, and I've been working my butt off. I'm going to have to push this off until next weekend, so I can get a chance to set up the first round. If I'm lucky, I could get it done sometime during the school week, but I'm not going to make any promises. I'm glad that so many people are looking forward to it though, I promise you it won't disappoint!

Shuckle-rock$ wrote:
Sounds fun, I'll join.

I do have this idea for the game though: you start off with normal and not-as-powerful weapons, such as a plain gun or sword or etc. But you can use your psybucks and BUY upgrades to your weapons, or buy completly new weapons. Although you should make the prices fairly low to keep it fair to most of the players. And obviously, the more powerful the upgrades, the more they will cost.
Also, you could have a way to revive other players who have died.

Well, I don't think that I'm going to have people actually buy weapons, since I don't want to make it even more complicated then it already is. ^^' But a good idea nonetheless.

GofD wrote:
Quick question, how will you calculate the effects of healing or buffing moves? You sorta didn't mention that in your explanation.

Will we also have to describe the skills we use from video games? For example:

Player A activated Frenzy (From DFO, attacks with an extra blood sword, chance of bleed on hit enemies, when a bleeding enemy is killed, some Hp is healed to the user, user loses X amount of Hp per turn)

Or will we just have to say what we use?

You could just say what you use, but it would help a lot if you were able to describe the attack being used. It'll help immensely, especially if I don't know the particular game that the move comes from. As for calculating effects, I'm going to use an online RNG for how strong it is.

Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

General Patterson paced back in forth inside the castle meeting room.  The leaders of Psypokia had been called to the Castle Psypokes to make a decision regarding the impending trouble, and he had been chosen as the head of operations.

"We can't simply ignore the fact that we are going to have to take a side in this war," he stated.  "Sooner or later, we are going to have to take action.  We've haphazardly remained neutral for all twelve years this war has been going on.  Our only hope is to fight back."

He stopped at the head of the table. "If we don't start soon, then things are-" The deafening roar of an explosion shook the meeting room.  "It looks like we're going to have to begin a little bit sooner than we thought we would," he yelled, as he ran outside to see what was happening.

Waiting in the field outside the castle wall was a regiment of soldiers and a small tank.  The tank fired a second time, the shot nearly missing the wall and whizzing over the head of the General.  He turned to the soldiers next to him.

"Well, what are you waiting for?  Get out and fight ya lily-livered jackrabbits!"

A new special character was unlocked!

Quote:
General Patterson
HP: 350

The head of the Psypokia army, in charge of defending the Castle Psypokes from the invading forces.  General Patterson, or Sir General Patterson, as he is referred to by his friends and family, while being gruff and serious most of the time, actually has a gentle side that comes out from time to time.  One of his favorite pastimes is reprimanding soldiers, with tiddlywinks in a close second.

Items:
- Machine Gun
       + May hit more than one enemy at a time
- Revolver
       + Has a high critical hit ratio
- Bomb x5
       + Enemies around the target suffer some splash damage
- First Aid Kit x2
       + Used to either heal himself or another special character

Additional:
- General Patterson may call in troops to do various jobs such as attacking, repairing the castle, or things of the sort.

Quote:
Round 1

New Enemy Bios!

Quote:
Soldier
HP: 50
- Pretty much a guy with a gun.  Soldiers can use their gun to attack, and each carry a single grenade.

Quote:
Small Tank
HP: 250
- The small tank is a smaller version of the tank, as implied by the name.  They attack with the large turret mounted on the vehicle, but must take a little time to recharge each time.

Psypokia:

Castle Psypokes: 3000/3000
General Patterson: 350/350

Enemies:

Soldier A: 50/50
Soldier B: 50/50
Soldier C: 50/50
Soldier D: 50/50
Soldier E: 50/50
Small Tank: 250/250

Alright guys, so it turns out that I had some free time, so I was able to post the first round a lot earlier than I thought I'd be able to. I'm hoping that this ends up working out, since this is a lot more complex than my last game. If anyone still has any questions, feel free to ask them, and if not, then start firing away!

EDIT: I also adjusted the rules on the use of moves to make things work a lot simpler by allowing people to use attacks outside of the limitations I had earlier described.

Last edited by twistedturtwig on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

A few questions:
-Is there any rule against OP weapons? (such as Blue Rinse bombs (kills all life in selected radius))
-Is there any rules against OP summoned characters? (such as The Aurum Hive (creates huge alien battleships))
-Can magics/spells/power-ups be used instead of an attack for your turn?
-Would building/using a turret count as an attack or a summoning?
-Can you summon vehicles etc. for you to use?

Last edited by DragoBoy on Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Portal Gun on Soldier C. If possible, drop to his death by shooting one up in the sky and putting the other underneath.
Also, you should think about making this into a GM'd RP, when its done. That would be cool!

Goodbye
"

Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DragoBoy wrote:
A few questions:
-Is there any rule against OP weapons? (such as Blue Rinse bombs (kills all life in selected radius))
-Is there any rules against OP summoned characters? (such as The Aurum Hive (creates huge alien battleships))
-Can magics/spells/power-ups be used instead of an attack for your turn?
-Would building/using a turret count as an attack or a summoning?
-Can you summon vehicles etc. for you to use?

1 & 2) No, overpowered weapons and summons will not be allowed. We don't want it to be that easy, now do we? ;)
3) Yes, it would be perfectly fine to use a turn to do some sort of powerup or spell instead of an attack.
4.) Turrets, I don't think so, since I was planning to use different types of turrets as permanent upgrades to the castle earned as one of the types of rewards to choose from after a battle.
5.) You don't have to actually summon a vehicle, you can just say, for example,
DragoBoy wrote:
I'll get into a clown car to run the enemy over."

But depending on the same sort of odds as hitting or missing, you might need a turn to find a specific item, or do a specific action before you can get the vehicle. This could apply to other things as well, for example, you might need to find specific ingredients before you can make a potion.

Those were some good questions. I'll add them to the rules when I get the chance.

Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: On Pilgramage, on this nice little planet called Earth. I don't think they've noticed me yet.
Okay, so lets see... the tank seems like the biggest threat to the castle, but the troops seem like they might be able to hurt Patterson more... Hmm...

Screw it, I'm attacking the tank.
I think I'll use a Howitzer, a type of long ranged anti-armor cannon, from the game Age of Empires 3.
How you like them apples, tank?

Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It appears that, although the tank will cause some damage, the troopers can also cause some confusion too.

So anyway, I'll use this Imperialist sniper blaster from Metroid on Soldier A...

Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

A howitzer is an actual weapon, not just from Age of Empires 3.

Now to figure out the next thing to do. Ah, I know! I deploy a Neotank unit (from Advance Wars) to fire upon the opposing enemy tank.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'll attack Soldier E with a Meteor Hammer (A chain-like weapon with weights at both end).

Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Im going after soldier D using HAMMER OF REPENT (from DFO {Dungeon fighter Online}, essentially a giant hammer of light with a chance to turn the enemy(aka make him fight his own side) for a set duration, while still doing damage)

Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I will throw a Nokia phone at Soldier A

((Am I doing this right?))

Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Something tells me that metals don't enjoy excessive heat. I think I'll use this Fire Flower (from the Mario series, duh) and start madly throwing fireballs at the tank - hopefully some of them can hit the soldiers too!

And of course, some questions...
- So attacks aren't limited to using weapons, magic spells and similar stuff also works right? But is it possible for humans to use such attacks as... Flamethrower and Ice Beam?
- Summoned characters aren't repeatable, but is attacks repeatable? Is that discouraged, or strictly prohibited?
- Is it discouraged to use an attack closely associated with a specific character - its/his/her signature move, even - in case the character would later be summoned? (I think I worded this a little strange...)

P.S. Oh wait. I completely forgot the fact that Fire Flower was used in the example. Darn, now I'll look totally uncreative D8
P.S.S. @DragonPhoenix: Overkill much? Even Dark Lords don't deserve such inhumane treatment ;n;

Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ShinyLucario wrote:
P.S.S. @DragonPhoenix: Overkill much? Even Dark Lords don't deserve such inhumane treatment ;n;

Oops I guess I skimmed the rules... I forgot that overpowered weapons aren't allowed :oops: :oops:

But still, I don't like the look of Soldier A, instead of the Nokia phone I'll just throw a brick at him, just so he's got a fighting chance.

Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

On second thought, no one specified what model it is. You should be alright with your original Nokia idea as long as it's not Nokia 3310. :)

Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

ShinyLucario wrote:
And of course, some questions...
- So attacks aren't limited to using weapons, magic spells and similar stuff also works right? But is it possible for humans to use such attacks as... Flamethrower and Ice Beam?
- Summoned characters aren't repeatable, but is attacks repeatable? Is that discouraged, or strictly prohibited?
- Is it discouraged to use an attack closely associated with a specific character - its/his/her signature move, even - in case the character would later be summoned? (I think I worded this a little strange)

1.) Yes, Pokemon moves are allowed to be used as attacks by players, if you want.
2.) Attacks are repeatable, but spamming the same thing and over is a no-go. Try to use varied attacks, but you are allowed to use the same type of move more than once.
3.) If I understand what you're saying correctly, then I do think that it's acceptable.

I'm going to finish updating the rules with DragoBoy's and your questions, and will hopefully have the end of this turn done by today.

Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next