It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Torment Protecting 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This is a new strategy conceived by UmbreonShadow. I'll post Pyrotechnix's explanation of how it works:

Quote:

Ok, here's a full explanation of Torment Protecting so that Umby doesn't have to explain it to every person who happens to walk by this topic:

Torment is hell to CBers, for starters. If a TPer is out and they predict a CBer switch, they use Torment on the incoming opponent, meaning they can't use the same attack twice. The CBer says, hey, no problem, this attack will own them anyway. That's where Protect comes in. You Protect against that attack, and then the CBer is forced to switch out or Struggle, in which time you have a chance to set up another attack, such as Focus Punch or Substitute in TPGars case. This can also work backwards: Use Protect first, then Torment, and they will be stopped in using the CB'd attack twice, much like what happens when an opponent Taunts and you try to use a non-attack move.

Second: Stopping Phazers in their tracks. Say you're trying to set up a Mean Look combo ala PerishTrapping with Celebi and Umbreon. The opponent, knowing what you are attempting, tries to Roar you out. If you have Tormented beforehand, however, this allows you to Protect against the Roar, and they can't phaze you out on the next turn, meaning you have ample opportunity to complete whatever combo it is you are desiring and moving on with your ownage of their team.

Third: Say goodbye to Snorlax and Blissey. Usually a Snorlax will either be carrying only Body Slam and Shadow Ball or Body Slam and Earthquake. This plays to your advantage, as if they have a BS/SB set, you Protect against the Shadow Ball and Torment it on your next turn. While they are forced to use an alternative move or switch out on the next turn, you Focus Punch them (in Dusclops or Gengar's case) and they take at least some damage (unless your opponent somehow decides to switch into their own Dusclops, Gengar for kicks =/) while you continue to Protect/Torment/Attack away. For Blissey, this makes Ice Beam Blissey afraid of Gar again. Usually, Bliss will be like, hum de dum, I broke the sub, makes McGar a little useless, eh? Not in this case. Same as Snorlax: You Protect on the Ice Beam, Torment on the next turn so that Blissey can't use Ice Beam again, and start plugging away with Focus Punches. You really don't need to accomplish this with Dusclops, as Blissey can't do jack squat to Dusclops anyway before being burned and Pain Split for the lol effect. This Torment/Protect combo works best on Gengar and Dusclops, since they get a Normal/Fighting resist, but it could be managed on any Pokemon who can get Torment/Protect movesets. I personally am going to try out a TPGar with Torment/Protect/Focus Punch/Thunderbolt, with T-Bolt being interchangeable with anything you want it to be.

EDIT: I'll say it again, this works the absolute best on Gengar.

Discuss.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Problem: I have seen many a snorlax w/ phychic and shadow ball/HP Dark. Not that big a deal for Dusclops, but hell for Gengar.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:20 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Then I have no idea where you're battling, cuz that set just phails to high heaven.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:31 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The problem is that Torment and Protect leaves you with little room for attacks. Also, just countering Snorlax/Blissey is too specific, and non-Choice Banders will hurt.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The problem is that Torment and Protect leaves you with little room for attacks. Also, just countering Snorlax/Blissey is too specific, and non-Choice Banders will hurt.

Since when did pokemon like Dusclops and Umbreon have need for attacks? The combo works fine, and if you read thoroughly, you would know it also stops Phazers.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I fail to see how you win by having no attacks. Also, the Tormented Pokemon has the option of picking another move, even if it would normally be useless, to waste a Protect. Mean Look/Baton Pass/Torment/Protect on Umbreon leaves it vulnerable and can probably only successfully trap one Pokemon. If you want to stop phazing, use Taunt. Dusclops will either have little to none attack power, or with Shadow Ball/Focus Punch, no healing. I believe the classic Chaosbreon + Perish Song Celebi combo uses Taunt on Umbreon, not Torment, because Taunt stops phazing, not Torment + Protect. Have fun against stuff like Swords Dance Heracross.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:21 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thats the reason I added Wish as an alternative for Mean Look. This way, it has a little more room to support. Tormentprotecting was NOT generally made for using with Celebi, btw. Its just something to make the game a little more interesting. Tormentprotect CAN act as an inferior taunt if you torment on the switch. Not that that's why you should use it, but I'm just saying.

Quote:
Have fun against stuff like Swords Dance Heracross.

I dont think chaosbreon stays in against that either =/.

Quote:

Yes, i know it leaves little room for attacks. Everything has a flaw. As for specific countering, things have been made in the past to counter specific stuff, such as skarmbliss. They've been proven to take on other things as well, but with experimentation I'm sure Tormentprotecting can find other uses as well. And non-choice banders only hurt when they have two attacks that will actually demolish Umbreon, such as a non-CBed Hera.

[quote]Also, the Tormented Pokemon has the option of picking another move, even if it would normally be useless, to waste a Protect.[/qupte]

Skarmory could also roar out a Charizard freshly switched in to waste a Belly Drum.

Btw, Proph, I don't think i really conceived it, but I'm told I just discovered it again.

^Bluefox owns for these.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]