Mega Mawile suspect in OU 

Ban Mawilite?
Yes 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
No 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 9

Mega Mawile suspect in OU 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So fresh into the post-Aegislash meta Mega Mawile has been put up for suspect.

... I'm just not sure about Smogon anymore.

Discuss?

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

...Why do smogon even decide what should be banned? o_O They are going a bit too hard on the banning I think.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Mawile is being suspected because some vocal minority have trouble working around it, and rather than try to build their teams to accommodate it, they'd rather ban it. Yes, she's strong, but something is always going to be on top, and therefore, OP.

At this rate, I'm hoping they do split Ubers for Gengarite, because what's going to end up happening, is that the current Ubers will be moved into that higher tier, the top notch of the current OU will become the lower Ubers, and the lower OU will end up as some sort of BL.

I could, and will very likely, be wrong about that, and I haven't actually been through a generational suspect process before, but Smogon seems to be moving through bans too quickly; Aegislash hasn't been gone for a week, and their viability thread won't discuss changes that are based upon a post-Aegislash meta game until everything has settled, yet here they are, already onto the next suspect.

If she's banned, then I'd expect to see Charizardite X and Azumarill up soon as well - apparently Charizard X has it coming, and Azumarill doesn't work too differently from Mawile.

Anyway, Smogon decides what's banned and what isn't, simply because most English speaking countries (as far as I know) tend to follow either it or Pokemon Online as far as community rules go, and the two seem to work hand in hand anyway. That's not to say that everyone has to follow those rules, they just tend to be the most commonly used standard. If Psypokes wanted to establish some rules, we could; we may not have a large enough active battling community to do it at the moment, but if we tried, we'd most likely gather some attention.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

No, just no. Mawile isn't even the most broken Mega, Charizard and Pinsir are way worse. Pinsir, with Aegislash gone, can now run Close Combat, making it even harder to wall. Mawile is nowhere near broken, centralizing or uncompetitive.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yea... if we ban something, another thing will emerge and we will ban it. Peeps are lazy. Just build an unusual team and surprise the other guys.

When weather teams were op, Water Sport could have easily destroyed a whole Sunny Day team.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

End of the day I don't really have a problem with Smogon, it's their meta yada yada, but rather the fact that they control Showdown, which is by far the best Pokemon simulator on the web. So if I'm building a OU team their sims are fine, but trying to playtest anything outside of that either using a banned poke or countering a banned poke the best I can do is therymon it. If Showdown simply added a 6v6 single ladder with no bans(Barring endless) or just banning special pokes I would be ecstatic.

As far as banning Mawile I just can't understand it being a threat in the current tier, especially in comparison with Charizard X, Lati@s, Pinsir, Landorus-T running rampant. The only argument with any validity I've seen is Sub+SD can wipe the meta. But this can apply to so many other mons it isn't funny.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:44 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That, I can most certainly agree with. Smogon is generally run by the community, so in the long run, I can't say have too much of an issue with what they do, but like Mason said, Smogon controls Showdown; it would make their bans much more palatable if people could still test and play outside of their rules. I tend to use Showdown just to test teams, personally, and I know that many others do as well.

I suppose the only issue that I can think of against that line of thought, however, would be in how a ruleset for a free-for-all would be established, because if everything was free, we might as well play in Ubers. Then, taking GofD's Shedinja team as an example, VGC rules allow Blaziken, whereas Smogon's do not. However, Smogon used to allow some Deoxys forms, and they do allow things like Mew and Celebi, but VGC has bans on them. Therefore, a straight up free for all with standard VGC rules could be limiting as well. At best, I would think just following the raw Smogon bans, way back before Blaziken and Kangaskhan and everything else was banned would probably be the ideal compromise.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

....I have to say this is getting ridiculous. Smogon seems to be running a Ban Train and there's no way to stop it.

The M. Kang, M. Gengar, and M. Lucario ban from Ou made sense. They were ridiculously Overpowered and unpredictable, and unless you had a dedicated hard counter or something completely out of left field (see my shedinja team as an example) you would kinda get wreaked ( or in some cases, the wreaking was just pushed back). While others made little less sense, but still had.....overall added something positive.

My problem is that lately.....they seem to listening to more of the people who whine and complain and don't want to take the time to think up of a strategy. AegiSlash is the best example of this. AegiSlash is not as broke as people seem to think. It falls quite easily to a well predicted EQ or Fire type move. I should know.

To be Blunt, they are catering to the people that don't want to put the time and skill into a team. They are catering to the people who want to use a SPECIFIC Pokemon and if that SPECIFIC Pokemon cant stop a CERTAIN Pokemon:

"OMG THAT POKEMON IS SO BROKE! WHINE WHINE COMPLAIN COMPLAIN."

At this point I want to end with this to the People who cant put the effort into there teams:

Would you like some Cheese with your Whine? And Pull up your big person pants, and PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT INTO YOUR TEAMS LIKE THE REST OF US.

((Short version: Im getting sick and tired of this Ban Train.))

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm even more surprised at the Mega Mawile suspect test than I was at the one for Aegislash. I was against the ban of Aegislash, which I saw as not as big of a threat as it was made out to be, but this?! To be honest, I've only even battle a Mega Mawile a few times since I started competive battling in Gen VI, and the times that I have, it didn't pose as big of a threat as it's said to. There's always always the possibility that my opponents weren't using it to its full potential, but I still am having a hard time comprehending the need for the latest test.

Mega Pinsir, on the other hand, I'd like to see tested. Now there's something a bit more menacing.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I understand why it could be difficult to counter because Mawile has a wide movepool, a great type combo, and Huge Power and Swords Dance negate the attack drop for burn (don't even bother with intimidate unless you run a whole team of Intimidate Pokemon which would be ridiculous) but after reading these comments I'm pretty torn once again about how I feel about this. I think the best reason to not ban Mega Mawile is to close Pandora's Box. It's been said several times already that if it does get banned it's only going to result in more and more Pokemon getting banned and sooner or later the only Pokemon left in OU will be the BL and UU tier Pokemon.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

M-mawile has been banned from OU, With about 80% in favor. (More people wanted Mawile out than Aegislash >.> )

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

well what are you gonna do. It is what it is, but it's not like we're forced to play by Smogon rules.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Poor mawile when there is no mawilite .

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]