It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 6th Gen Random Matchup RMT 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hello All! I've been getting a team ready to take to random matchup, and I'd like to get some opinions on it. I'll mostly be using this team in-game, which is why I can only use pokemon that are currently available in x and y. I've tested this team out a bit on Pokemon Online's Random Matchup tier before building it in-game, and it seems to work pretty well so far. Occasionally I'll run into a roadblock, but I'm at the point where I'm not quite sure how to tweak my team any more. The way this works, is the first three pokemon are my "main" random matchup team, and then based on what the opponent has, I adjust with the remaining three pokemon accordingly.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 HP
Hasty
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-U-turn

This is one of my main sweepers, and is my lead most of the time, unless I need to lead with ferrothorn to set up stealth rocks. I usually try to avoid switching in with greninja, since it is so frail. Instead, I either lead with this one, and hammer whatever I can before switching out, or use it as a revenge killer to force a switch while doing some hefty damage. I opted for Surf over Hydro Pump, because I tend to have terrible luck with accuracy, and Greninja doesn't have quite enough bulk to afford missing a hydro pump.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
252 HP/252 Atk/6 SpD
Brave
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head

Aegislash works well with Greninja, being able to handle the fairy types and bulky grass types that plague Greninja. The fourth move slot seems slightly redundant at times, given that I hardly ever use iron head since I have shadow sneak. I may replace iron head with sacred sword for a while, to see how it works, although that will leave me a little more vulnerable to fairy types. If I find that ferrothorn works much better with leftovers, then I could try giving aegislash the weakness policy, and seeing how well it works out.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
252 HP/252 Def/6 SpA
Relaxed
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Earthquake
-Synthesis

This is the tank of the team, and has a heck of a lot of bulk with the given EV spread. I decided against replacing sludge bomb with sleep powder, because I already have a couple of other status inflicters on the team. Because this team is meant for in-game eventually, I decided to pick earthquake instead of HP Fire, because I don't know how likely I'll be to get a venusaur with HP fire in the game. It's main problems are psychic and flying types, which can be dealt with relatively easily with Greninja and Aegislash.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spd
Adamant
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn
-Will-o-Wisp

I usually select Talonflame when the opponent has a lot of pokemon that can be easily taken out with brave bird, or that have lower defenses. Random Matchup battle are usually a bit faster paced than regular battles, so I thought that a choice set would be most effective at getting quick power. Although Will-o-wisp might seem odd on a choice set, it has gotten me out of several scrapes by incapacitating a sweeper before switching to an appropriate counter.

Starmie @ Assault Vest
Ability: Natural Cure
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 SpD
Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Psyshock
-Rapid Spin

If I use talonflame, and it looks like there is a stealth rock user on the opponents team, then Starmie absolutely has to tag along. It can fill a similar role to Greninja, but it's main purpose is to make sure that stealth rocks stay off the field. Thunderbolt can take care of a lot of water types that talonflame doesn't like, which is why I picked it over ice beam. Assault vest is a bit out of the ordinary, but considering random matchup's item clause, I had to get a bit creative.

Ferrothorn @ Occa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD
Relaxed
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip

This one is my other lead, if I don't use Greninja. I usually pull this one out if the other team has volcarona or talonflame, or if they don't have many fire types. Power whip prevents it from being complete taunt bait, and it also gives me better coverage for my team than gyro ball does. Leech seed is good at getting boosting tanks to switch out, which would otherwise cream me after a few boosts. Again, I had to follow the item clause by choosing occa berry, which has actually giving me a bit of a surprise factor against opposing fire types.

There it is! I'm fairly open to recommendations for alternate pokemon, if they'll work better than the ones I have now. Of course, because pokebank isn't up yet, I can't transfer pokemon, also, I can't get trade evos with good IVs, because I don't have a second game.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

This is one of my main sweepers, and is my lead most of the time, unless I need to lead with ferrothorn to set up stealth rocks. I usually try to avoid switching in with greninja, since it is so frail. Instead, I either lead with this one, and hammer whatever I can before switching out, or use it as a revenge killer to force a switch while doing some hefty damage. I opted for Surf over Hydro Pump, because I tend to have terrible luck with accuracy, and Greninja doesn't have quite enough bulk to afford missing a hydro pump.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]