It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Double Battle Strategy 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For those who have played PBR, you may notice my strategy was inspired by a masters battle opponent, but I feel like I can probably do it better.

So I will start with Wobbuffet and a fast disabler (ex: Alakazam) with wide lens to offset accuracy problems. That way the opponent must use "Struggle" which is weak and they have 25% recoil damage.

My hypothetical battle will go like this:

Alakazam uses protect. Wobbuffet uses Encore on one of the opponents.
Alakazam uses disable on encored Pokemon. Wobbuffet Encores the other Pokemon.
Opponent cannot switch because of shadow tag.
Alakazam uses disable on the other encore Pokemon. Wobbuffet uses destiny bond if it seems like it's about to die.

I can also just use disable if I believe that the Pokemon has a choice item.

Instead of Wobbuffet, I was thinking of a Pokemon with encore/mean look (or any other trap moves), but I couldn't find any good ones. Even if there was a good one, mean look moves only target one Pokemon, so I thought Wobbuffet should suffice.

As you can see, it seems a little situational at best. I wonder if you guys can give me any advice on this strategy or you can just say it's plain dumb, I just want some opinions.

Last edited by smileydude689 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I've had this double battle idea for a while but I was too lazy to do it. You should start off with two Vaporeon or two Heatran if you can get them. Then, spam Surf or Lava Plume respectively. With the Vaporeon, they will both recover HP while damgeing their opponents. With Heatran, the power of Lava Plume will increase for both of them after the first turn of battle.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I do enjoy thinking of double strategies because they take more meticulous planning. Mektar with your idea it breaks the standard rule of no species clause. Still there are multiple Pokemon that have Flash Fire and Water Absorb to use your strategy. One that I employ is Follow Me with a Belly Drummer. I get a bulky Pokemon to use Follow Me to absorb hits while I sub up then Belly Drum to activate a berry. Then I proceed to sweep a bit with my move that hits two Pokemon at once like Rock Slide.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you want a really cheap one, go with No Guard Machamp and Choice Scarf Articuno with sheer cold.

Also, Mektar's Vaporeon idea would work using a vaporeon and a poliwrath/lapras/quagsire/mantine (all have water absorb), and the heatran thing would work with a heatran and a flareon (although Flareon's speed is not very good , so you should give it a scarf).

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:15 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Oh, I guess I was a little unclear on my title/description. I actually meant if you thought my double battle strategy was good... But I definitely love your ideas! :D
I actually made a strategy similar to the surf/water absorb and the flash fire/lava plume.
It didn't prove very useful, novelty at most, but I had a skill swap Jirachi switch abilities with a heatran or electivire, then heatran or electivire will spam lava plume and discharge at a 60 % burn and paralyze respectively, while Jirachi will be immune to their attacks.
I guess an even more similar strategy would be electivire + jolteon, both spamming discharge. One will speed up while the other recover HP.

Anyways, if you guys can, give me your opinions on my first moveset, the encore/disable and trapping strategy.

EDIT:

shinashu taji wrote:
One that I employ is Follow Me with a Belly Drummer. I get a bulky Pokemon to use Follow Me to absorb hits while I sub up then Belly Drum to activate a berry. Then I proceed to sweep a bit with my move that hits two Pokemon at once like Rock Slide.

I've actually made a team like that. My main Belly Drum sweeper was Charizard and it had a Salac berry to outspeed more opponents. I had a Follow Me Togekiss and a Follow Me Lucario which will support my Charizard. Then I have a Fake Out Ambipom to offer more support.
My other less important party members are Psych Up Metagross and Lead Azelf. My Metagross sometimes have a chance to Psych up a Belly Drum Charizard... +6 boosted Bullet Punch is very deadly.... And Lead Azelf + Ambipom can actually kill a Pokemon or two, otherwise taunt opponents.
Anyways, my Charizard, the main sweeper, beats mostly everything with his Earthquake and Fire Punch combo.

Blastiose_ex wrote:
If you want a really cheap one, go with No Guard Machamp and Choice Scarf Articuno with sheer cold.

Although this combo would be extremely cheap, it actually does not work. No Guard's perfect accuracy only affects Machamp attacking accuracy or the Pokemon targeting Machamp. It's not an field-type ability.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If you're going to use Encore + Wobbuffet, why not focus on using Counter/Mirror Coat to reflect attacks? Have your other pokemon know Taunt, so if your opponent is locked into a non-attacking move it'll have to attack using Struggle.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hmmm... That is quite interesting. I guess I should try that out. The only problem with the counter/mirror coat thing is I'm not exactly sure how the order goes... Like what if I was hit by a special and a physical attack, which would it counter/mirror coat?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sorry, I had a brain fart about the whole No Guard thing...

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:20 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

smileydude689 wrote:
Hmmm... That is quite interesting. I guess I should try that out. The only problem with the counter/mirror coat thing is I'm not exactly sure how the order goes... Like what if I was hit by a special and a physical attack, which would it counter/mirror coat?

I think if you're hit by a physical attack, you'll Counter it, even if you're hit by a special attack afterwards. Whether you want to use Counter or Mirror Coat depends on the opponents.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think what he's trying to say is what if you select to use Counter, and two pokemon both physically attack Wobby, which one does it counter? I think its the first attack but honestly I'm not sure.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]