It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New to Competitive 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I've been playing Pokemon games since a few weeks before the release of GSC, but I've never taken an interest in holding matches with actual people with the exception of friends that played locally who had as little experience with it as I do. I've been reading over move sets for individual Pokemon, strategies for developed parties, and have looked over the tiers that there are in hopes of a basic idea of competitive play. After all of this, I cannot help but feel a little bit overwhelmed. I really do not know where to begin, or how to build an effective team without severely stifling the use of the Pokemon I have always liked and favored over others. While I'm not asking for someone to pick my Pokemon to use--as I find it to be more of an individual/personal choice--I would like to know what elements are required to build an overall effective party. Also, what tier is the most competitive in general? Or is that a question that cannot be really answered? Simply put, I would like some advice and general tips on where to begin and the basics on developing an effective team so that perhaps when I have advanced my knowledge I may develop strategies of my own and help those new to this aspect of the game; as I am now. To all of those who help me out in any sort of way, thank you. If you need any further information just tell me so and I'll do my best to provide it.

Note: I'm not sure if it will significantly effect my party development/strategy but I do not plan to use any Pokemon from the "Uber" tier. So, if you could base your advice and tips around this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again. ^_^

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Too Little Information
For most wi-fi battles all non-Uber pokemon are used, the strongest are in the OU tier, but certian strategies require pokemon from lower tiers

Sometimes Some people will allow certian Ubers(All the ones that can be used in the Battle frontier, Garchomp, Latias, Latios, Wobbuffet, Wynaunt)

Also With the 2010 VGWC looming, You may want to build your team around their rules,
Double only, 4 on 4, Only 2 in-game Uber legends(Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo)per battle, 6 pokemon roster, souldew banned. a different item per pokemon.

Since I'm going to go out on a limb and say you like slowbro

Slowbro {slowbro} w/ leftovers (Tank)
Calm(Defensive) / Modest (Offensive)
EVs HP SD(Defensive), SA(Offensive)
Surf
Psychic
signal Beam
Slack-off

Look here for my offensive tier list

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I found the best way to start a team is to pick a poke or two you like, then pick pokes that work well with them, keeping their roles diverse, a lead, offense, ,revenge, support, and tank/wall are necessary roles to have for a balanced team. Offensive and stall teams require the roles to hold more to one side. Then adjust the team to handle common threats in OU/BL/UU tiers. Obviously you can't cover them all but you should have your team able to handle a good portion of them.

/vXv\ wrote:

Also With the 2010 VGWC looming, You may want to build your team around their rules,
Double only, 4 on 4, Only 2 in-game Uber legends(Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo)per battle, 6 pokemon roster, souldew banned. a different item per pokemon.

Except very few people use nintendo's rules for competitive play, way too unbalanced. Also the OP stated Uber class isn't preferred.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

MasterChef wrote:
I found the best way to start a team is to pick a poke or two you like, then pick pokes that work well with them, keeping their roles diverse, a lead, offense, ,revenge, support, and tank/wall are necessary roles to have for a balanced team. Offensive and stall teams require the roles to hold more to one side. Then adjust the team to handle common threats in OU/BL/UU tiers. Obviously you can't cover them all but you should have your team able to handle a good portion of them.

All right, thank you that helps quite a bit. I think I have a pretty decent idea which Pokemon to pick as far as a wall, lead, and offense go. I'll start looking for those who will go well with the roles and test it out. I'll probably read up on some basic counters to Pokemon in the OU/BL tier and eventually the UU. Thanks again for all the help.

/vXv\ wrote:
Too Little Information
For most wi-fi battles all non-Uber pokemon are used, the strongest are in the OU tier, but certian strategies require pokemon from lower tiers

Sorry for the lack of information s:. Thank you for the link to your list, it should help quite a bit selecting a few roles I'm stuck on picking.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]