It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Team ideas 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have been playing pokemon for my whole life, but i just now started to get into the ev training and breeding. so i was wondering if any1 can help me make a decent team or any other suggestions you have.

the team i had in mind is Garchomp,Torterra, Gengar( it s a haunter atm) Glaceon Lucario Staraptor

note i havnt beaten game yet im only beat 4th gym.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

for myself i'll use skarmory instead of staraptor, and some status inflicter instead of glaceon, the rest seems cool to me...

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

wats a status inflictor

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Staus inflicters inflict paralyze, burn, etc. Also Skarmory is not in the Sinnoh dex, that will not be possible without trading. Same wtih Gengar, you must trade to evolve haunter. If this is peral/diamond, and you can't trade, Glaceon has to be dropped. So here's my suggestion.

{torterra} {staraptor} {garchomp} {lucario} {bibarel} HM Slave {tropius} HM Slave

Of course if it's D/P you have to drop tropius, so go with a pokemon for fly.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In the Umbreon Guild, where you can get awesome avatars and fusions!
If you're just trying to get throught the game, the team you're gonna want is much different than if you were competativley battling. If you're eventaully going to go competative, the team you have is okay (althought personally, I'd drop Glaceon for Vaporeon) as long as you train them right. Also bear in mind that Garchomp is classified as an Uber, so you'll have to check with your opponents before fighting with him.

Torterra should be used to set up stealth rocks and as a physical tank in general (watch out for ice attacks). Gengar can serve a multitude of purposes, but his best fit is a powerful special sweeper. Lucario is the same, only physical. Staraptor works best as a revenge-killer. Give him a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature and set him to work. I'd replace Garchomp with either Flygon or Salamence if you still want a dragon type and want to battle competitavley and Glaceon, if you so choose to use him, should be treated as a very slow, yet physically durable sweeper. Just note that anything named Heracross, Lucario, [insert fire type here] and many others will kill you quickly. I prefer Vaporeon (espcially since you have no sure fire Gyarados counter) with wish and Hidden Power [electric] so you can support your team and beat gyarados (who generally can't 2HKO Vaporeon without at least one Dragon Dance). Hope that helped.

Thanks to Ender for the awesome signature.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks you this really helped> :D except i just want to kno how to get salamence or flygon

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Cactuar wrote:
Also Skarmory is not in the Sinnoh dex, that will not be possible without trading. Same wtih Gengar, you must trade to evolve haunter. If this is peral/diamond, and you can't trade, Glaceon has to be dropped.

Skarmory is found south of stark mountian

Gengar can be caught in D/P with a GBA pack in slot2 or you can simply use the GTS to evolve haunter

Eevee can be obtained from bebe after national dex is obtained,

ClUeLeSs wrote:
Good post

^Listen to this person

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have Platinum on a DSi so i cant do the GBA trick but i can trade haunter to my friend. i dont know if skarmory is still going to be there and i already have eevee. i just need a ditto to breed my pokemon. BTW can anyone give me an idea on what nature i should be looking for in my pokemon.

Also i have an empoleon from a trade should i use that insted of vaporean?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Post ...
BoneKrave wrote:
Also i have an empoleon from a trade should i use that insted of vaporean?

I think Vaporeon is a little better, it can Baton Pass goodies like 101+ HP Substitutes. It could also pass Wish, Acid Armor, etc. Also, Vaporeon has a very high HP stat and a good Special Defense stat, allowing it to serve decently as a Bulky Water, while still dishing out lots of damage from that 110 Special Attack stat. Vaporeon can also run Choice Specs well.

BoneKrave wrote:
except i just want to kno how to get salamence or flygon

These aren't in the Sinnoh expanded Poké Dex of Platinum, so you'll have to trade with a friend who has one. Otherwise, if you got the National Dex, Salamence [Bagon base form] is found by using the Poké Radar in Route 210 (Rare, though). As for Flygon, sorry, but there are no locations where Flygon or a pre-evolution of Flygon may be caught in Platinum. You'll have to transfer from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or trade from Diamond/Pearl where it could be caught.

BoneKrave wrote:
BTW can anyone give me an idea on what nature i should be looking for in my pokemon

It depends on the set of the Pokémon you want.
Garchomp: Adamant/Jolly
Torterra: Impish
Gengar: Modest/Timid
Lucario: Adamant/Jolly/Modest/Timid (Lucario is just so versatile)
Staraptor: Adamant/Jolly

If you wanted to know what these natures did, here:

Adamant: + Attack, - Special Attack
Jolly: + Speed, - Special Attack
Impish: + Defense, - Special Attack
Modest: + Special Attack, - Attack
Timid: + Speed, - Attack

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

MasterChef wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
Also Skarmory is not in the Sinnoh dex, that will not be possible without trading. Same wtih Gengar, you must trade to evolve haunter. If this is peral/diamond, and you can't trade, Glaceon has to be dropped.

Skarmory is found south of stark mountian

Gengar can be caught in D/P with a GBA pack in slot2 or you can simply use the GTS to evolve haunter

Eevee can be obtained from bebe after national dex is obtained,

ClUeLeSs wrote:
Good post

^Listen to this person

I meant just to beat the elite four. But now that I see you can trade you should ship over haunter and glaceon along with skarm.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In the Umbreon Guild, where you can get awesome avatars and fusions!
Quote:
As for Flygon, sorry, but there are no locations where Flygon or a pre-evolution of Flygon may be caught in Platinum. You'll have to transfer from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or trade from Diamond/Pearl where it could be caught.

Actually, if you use the radar on route 228 (the sandstorm route) you can find a Trapinch (Flygon's first form). A little rare though.

As for natures:

Torterra: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
Staraptor: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
Lucario: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk) or Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
Gengar: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk) or Timid (+Spd, -Atk)

Those are the easy ones. The choice between speed boosts or attack boosts for the latter two are entirely up to personal prefrence. The rest are a little more difficult. If you want to run a purley phisical dragon, the natures for Lucario apply and if you want a purly special dragon, the natures for Gengar apply. If you want to mix and match, use a nature that boosts Spd and lowers one of the Defences. To run a more bulky version of either one you'd need to find natures that boost Def or SDef while lowering speed or one of the attack stats.

If you use Glaceon, you definatley want Modest since its speed stat isn't worth helping and it'll help make your Ice Beams really really scary. If you run Vaporeon, Bold is your best bet to help increase its durability, though if you run a Choice Specs set as was mentioned earlier, Modest can also be used.

Empoleon can be used if you want to, although i'll stress the fact that you already have a heavy offensive force and not much in the way of bulkier pokemon. If you do use Empoleon, this is one of the best sets you'll get:

Empoleon @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Modest - Torrent
~Agility
~Ice Beam
~Surf
~Hidden Power [electric]/Grass Knot

I suggest Hidden Power [electric] because, again, you lack a Gyarados counter. If you're not scared of him, Grass Knot is the alternative which lets you beat other waters, especially Swampert. Ice Beam and Surf are obvious and Aglilty lets you outspeed most anything you face. Max out it's special attack and put some effort towards speed, but because of Agility, you can afford to focus a little on its HP stat to assure that you'll get an Agility in.

Edit: Okay, I forgot that Gengar can learn Thunderbolt and easily revenge-kill Gyarados, but Gengar tends to die easier than Empoleon/Vaporeon and either one are bulky enough to switch in whereas Gengar needs to predict a Dragon Dance or wait to come in after one of your other pokemon has been KO'd.

Thanks to Ender for the awesome signature.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

If i decide to use Skarmory instead of Staraptor and Salamence or flygon insted of garchomp wat Should their natures and atks be?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok i found some attacks and natures for my team from a guide in victory road. I think it is from thunderx10(something like that)
? Torterra @ Leftovers/Chesto
Bold/Impish | Overgrow
252 Sp Def, 129 Def, 129 HP
~Curse/Rest
~Amnesia
~Leech Seed
~Stealth Rock/Rest/Wood Hammer
Wall

? Lucario @ Shell Bell/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Scope Lens/Salac
Jolly/Adamant | Inner Focus/Steadfast
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
~Swords Dance/Bulk Up/Bullet Punch/Extremespeed
~Cross Chop/Hi Jump Kick/Close Combat/Reversal
~Earthquake/Stone Edge
~Shadow Claw/Blaze Kick/Endure
Physical Sweeper. Band with Jolly and Scarf/Salac with Adamant. *****

? Skarmory @ Leftovers/Shed Shell
Impish | Sturdy
252 HP, 129 Def, 129 Sp Def
~Roost/Rest
~Whirlwind/Roar
~Spikes/Stealth Rock
~Drill Peck/Stealth Rock
Physical Sponge and Spiker. *****

? Gengar @ Black Sludge/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Timid/Modest/Mild | Levitate
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP - OR - 252 Sp Atk, 129 Spd, 129 Atk/HP
~Thunderbolt
~Shadow Ball
~Sludge Bomb
~HP Fighting/HP Fire/Energy Ball/Psychic/Explosion
Special Sweeper. Specs with Timid and Scarf with Modest/Mild and the second EV spread. ****

? Salamence @ Leftovers/Shell Bell/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Jolly/Adamant | Intimidate
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP - OR - 252 Atk, 129 Spd, 129 HP
~Dragon Dance/Brick Break/Crunch/Stone Edge
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Fire Fang

Physical Sweeper. Band with Jolly and Scarf/Dragon Dance with Adamant and the second EV spread. *****
Im not sure which vaporean to use either the baton pass one or the special sweeper.

? Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm | Water Absorb
252 Sp Atk, 129 Def, 129 HP
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Shadow Ball/Yawn/Fake Tears/Substitute
~Wish/Substitute

Special Sweeper with some defense. ***

? Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm | Water Absorb
252 Sp Def, 129 Def, 129 HP
~Acid Armor