It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rebuild The Battle Tower? X-posted from Viridian Forest 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Cross-posting this here in hopes of getting more voices on the matter. (Will donate the 5 Psybucks to charity.)

With X/Y just around the corner, it seems that now would be the best time to reboot the Battle Tower Sub-forum since the current one is dead, out-of-date, and full of failed gyms/rating center etc. With the new games coming out there is typically a surge of new forumers coming to Psypoke and an updated sub-forum would definitely help retain new users to Psypoke in general.

Some things that should be changed/Updated.

-Most of the threads can be archived/deleted, Gen V relevant threads barely cover the first page. anything older is barely relevant to the meta anymore. PO listed 3k Adv OU and 7k HGSS OU battles June 2013 as opposed to 590k B2/W2 OU battles.

-Forum rules need changed plus updated to be more current and links updated. This applies to most stickies as well.

-Banlist would obviously be removed the first month of XY. But once the meta settles an up-to-date thread following Smogon/PO's banlist.

-Tournament/Battle request threads could be cleaned up.

-Rating center should just be removed, at least until there's enough life to run and maintain it. Just simply allow teams to be posted and warn/infract people posting bad teams and suggestions. This would likely draw more posts then anything else.

-Perhaps a Mod run tourney once a month on Wifi or PO/Showdown with Psybucks given as prizes.

These are just some of my thoughts on what would best improve the Battle tower for new users to navigate into the Pokemon meta and keep them here, posting and hopefully improving the community here.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lengthy post because I'm going to do a break down of each point to try and validate each point to hopefully get some more mod support.

MasonTheChef wrote:
Cross-posting this here in hopes of getting more voices on the matter. (Will donate the 5 Psybucks to charity.)

With X/Y just around the corner, it seems that now would be the best time to reboot the Battle Tower Sub-forum since the current one is dead, out-of-date, and full of failed gyms/rating center etc. With the new games coming out there is typically a surge of new forumers coming to Psypoke and an updated sub-forum would definitely help retain new users to Psypoke in general.

Some things that should be changed/Updated.

-Most of the threads can be archived/deleted, Gen V relevant threads barely cover the first page. anything older is barely relevant to the meta anymore. PO listed 3k Adv OU and 7k HGSS OU battles June 2013 as opposed to 590k B2/W2 OU battles.

Preferably archive the threads that were more constructive as to that way none of that information gets lost, especially if we do like retro battle tournaments. Even though Gen V is sprinkled keep those at least for a little bit because some people would still do Gen V battles. But I'm sure all Gen III shenanigans can go away.

MasonTheChef wrote:
-Forum rules need changed plus updated to be more current and links updated. This applies to most stickies as well.

Yes yes yes. Even though everyone and their grandmother uses the Smogon tiering system our sticky of tiering needs to be updated because someone correct me if I'm wrong it hasn't updated at all in a good chunk of time, and if that were to happen all the new people that would flood the forums it would help them get in the flow all better. Especially with some rule changes.

MasonTheChef wrote:
-Banlist would obviously be removed the first month of XY. But once the meta settles an up-to-date thread following Smogon/PO's banlist.

Pretty much the same thing I said about Smogon's tiering but I think it would be fun for us if while we wait for the Smogon tiering we could try to work out our preliminary tier.

MasonTheChef wrote:
-Tournament/Battle request threads could be cleaned up.

Round abouts to my first point. Keep the really more constructive topics archived and delete the llintaro esque threads. Basically keep the ones that would help show the new people how things are really done and should be done.

MasonTheChef wrote:
-Rating center should just be removed, at least until there's enough life to run and maintain it. Just simply allow teams to be posted and warn/infract people posting bad teams and suggestions. This would likely draw more posts then anything else.

I agree with this, but I would prefer to have a basic team posting thread. However this would NOT be a rating center just a thread that would allow people to have a centralized location to put teams. There it would be good to have people post constructive criticisms about it all. From there we could warn and infract people from posting bad suggestions. Ie putting special attacks on a Weavile etc. We would not have to have a central post for this just an idea to keep things from getting amazingly cluttered. I would like the rating center to be brought back I just feel that we would need a good chunk of time to let the first part of the meta get set up before we start and have a good amount of people for a rating center. Obviously for raters once we got it up we would need people that have been battling and on the site for a while, Mason, Me, EP, R_R if he ever makes a return. Once we got that and a rating center that has a lot of posters we could have a test like the old one before to make sure raters other than the starting ones are qualified.

MasonTheChef wrote:
-Perhaps a Mod run tourney once a month on Wifi or PO/Showdown with Psybucks given as prizes.

Not necessarily a mod run tourney but possibly a more community run tournament. Like we could have a thread where we could schedule out the tournaments and that would give people time to figure out how they would want it run. SO Chef could run one in July, EP could run one in August, Me in September, and so on. Also that could give people opportunities to get months where they could do specific themes. Like a Halloween theme in October (where only ghost and dark Pokemon are used) or a Christmas/Holiday theme in December (where temas would have festive nicknames or other Pokemon that would fit a festive team would be used.)

That is just my thoughts and opinion on the matter feel free to post counter arguments to anything to get a dialogue going.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:52 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Agreement on topics. Our first priority should be archiving the old threads so that we can make room for the new ones. A team-posting thread could be helpful as well. The rest can wait until the release of X/Y and the new members.
I'm here to help you guys with anything you might need. I'm a senior drowning in studies, but I think I can make some time.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I agree, try to keep the posts that had some importance to them.

I also would like to see the Rating center return, but as meationed, that might be a while. I think we SHOULD have somewhere can post our teams for help, just so we dont get swamped with "rate my team" threads. Of course a thread like this would need some rules:

1) A complete team would look just like one that would be going into the rating center.

2) A team can be incomplete, IF it meets the following:

A)The person is unable to pick a move or two, and either stats the moves he is looking at, or stats clearly what he is looking for (status/Offensive/ Defensive/ Cover/Power/ accuracy and reliablilty)

Bi) The person has picked a Pokemon but can not choose between two movesets, and states why (Example: " Ive tried set "A" and set "B", both work, but both seem to have a hole in them my team cant cover. Which is the lesser of two evils?")

Bii) The person can not pick a Pokemon. The Person MUST state what the role of said Pokemon is. (sweeper, revenge killer, "check to ______" ECT.

C)Blatantly bad adivice()/ Advice with no context ("Use X Pokemon cause its awesome") Should be at first met with warnings, then increased if person in question persists.

D) *in conjuction with C* If someone does give bad Advice, the person correctly should do so in a way that does not make the person who gave the advice like an idiot. Try to be polite about it. If it is BLATANTLY bad, then let a Mod deal with it, do not get into a fight with said person.

I would Like to see battle tower get back up and running, just cause I prefer the community here for stuff like this over Smogon.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'd love to see the Battle Tower make a comeback, since I do enjoy competitive battling over Pokemon Online, and have been EV training some team members recently. Tournaments sounds like a great idea; that Monotype tournament earlier this year was a whole lot of fun. With the new flow of users that will hopefully come from the release of X and Y, we might be able to revive this forum after all. Just figured I should let you know that you've got my support!

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

GofD wrote:
I agree, try to keep the posts that had some importance to them.

I also would like to see the Rating center return, but as meationed, that might be a while. I think we SHOULD have somewhere can post our teams for help, just so we dont get swamped with "rate my team" threads. Of course a thread like this would need some rules:

I would downright LOVE a Subforum for RMTs, but that has been shot down many times before... My main issue with keeping it in a single thread is the difficulty to navigate (running though pages to find your team. and then finding a rate which may be many pages over.) Plus it blocks other raters from having a say once a team has been rated by another, and as such it becomes disorganized very quickly. Maybe perhaps a RMT thread is made once a month at the start and then at the end of the month closed/locked?

I also like Shina's suggestion of having a team posting thread/sub-fourm/place. Rates are not required but anyone can post constrictive advice, and hell, some people just like to write and post their teams for the fun of it.

Plus even at best with individual threads for Team posts and RMTs, I have high doubts the forum page will move fast enough here to miss topics before they've been answered/closed.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]