It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Opinion: Acupressure in evasion clause 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So I'm thinking of making a pokemon to abuse acupressure. However I want to know to what point is this move allowed in competitive play. As it randomly raises any stat (including evasion) at random. however it's a 1in7 chance.

Opinions? Official statements?

Thanks

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't think so, the 1/7 chance isn't that good. The only Pokemon that could really abuse it are Drapion and lolShuckle, and you don't see them dominating everything with random evasion boosts.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:47 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

sanjay120 wrote:
I don't think so, the 1/7 chance isn't that good. The only Pokemon that could really abuse it are Drapion and lolShuckle, and you don't see them dominating everything with random evasion boosts.

Yeah, I'm running it on a Drapion. I'm just worried if that 1/7 chance does happen the opposing player might be "ZOMFG yew brak teh RULES!1!"

Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:51 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Eh, I honestly don't think anyone would care if you use Acupressure, since it has such a random chance of boosting the stat you want. Go ahead and use; good luck. If you do get an evasion boost, I think it's a somewhat fair trade-off, since it's quite the gamble you're making. :wink: You're quite the gambler, aren't you? :lol: Last I checked you had a Sniper Kindra.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Attack:
Volke wrote:
Eh, I honestly don't think anyone would care if you use Acupressure, since it has such a random chance of boosting the stat you want. Go ahead and use; good luck. If you do get an evasion boost, I think it's a somewhat fair trade-off, since it's quite the gamble you're making. :wink: You're quite the gambler, aren't you? :lol: Last I checked you had a Sniper Kindra.

The nice thing about using it on Drapion is that 5 of the 7 stat boosts he can use. S.atk and Accuracy are the two duds. And the Drapion has Sniper as well :lol:

Here's the set I'm gonna use

Adamant @ Black Sludge
Sniper
232 ATK 60DEF 60S.DEF 158 HP
-Cross Poison (works w/ sniper)
-Crunch
-Acupressure
-Fire Fang/Brick break/EQ.
I want Fire fang as I desperately need a fire move on my team and it keeps him from being walled by {forretress} {scizor} and {skarmory} but then {tyranitar} and {heatran} block. Brick break hits the 1st three steels for less damage but the latter by tons more. and EQ takes care of all but skarm, but my mismagius likes to skill swap so I wanna keep ground moves to a minimum as my miltank already has EQ. >.<

With this set Acupressure will do one of the following. Ideally he'll switch into a psychic/ghost/bug that'll want to run, giving a set up turn.

-Attack boost, He become a powerful Phsy. sweeper.

-Def. Boost, Allows him to take EQ and wall most physical attacks. Def total is similar to {shuckle}

-S.Atk Boost, Fail

-S.def Boost, He'll be able to tank well both types of attacks.

-Speed boost, with a 95 base he'll outspeed all but fast scarfers, ninjask and Dexoys-s

-Accuracy boost, Mostly Fail. Can help make fire fang 100% accurate or ensure hits thru sand veil/cloak.

-Evasion boost, +40% for a move to miss, roll again? XD

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:23 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I suspect they'd only care if you actually do get the evasion boost. :P What do you plan to do if you do get the dud SA or accuracy boost, switch or try fighting anyway or what?

Also, for the moveset, consider running Night Slash over Crunch to take advantage of Sniper like you are with Cross Poison - thats what I run on my sniper drap, along with EQ and ice fang.

Om the final slot, I'd suggest Brick Break - it hits forry and scizor decently, kills t-tar and heatran, and if you wind up against a skarm, you can switch to something that rapes it easily (think Magnezone or,if you're creative, Mr. Potato Head Probopass), or even try your luck with using Acupressure again and going for the Attack boost

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

EvilPenguin wrote:
I suspect they'd only care if you actually do get the evasion boost. :P What do you plan to do if you do get the dud SA or accuracy boost, switch or try fighting anyway or what?

Also, for the moveset, consider running Night Slash over Crunch to take advantage of Sniper like you are with Cross Poison - thats what I run on my sniper drap, along with EQ and ice fang.

Om the final slot, I'd suggest Brick Break - it hits forry and scizor decently, kills t-tar and heatran, and if you wind up against a skarm, you can switch to something that rapes it easily (think Magnezone or,if you're creative, Mr. Potato Head Probopass), or even try your luck with using Acupressure again and going for the Attack boost

Depends on the situation. Usually fight unless their likely to have EQ.

I've ran sniper sets before and I've learned it's not reliable, even at 12.5%. Crunch has a 15 higher BP total and a 30% def drop with critical at 6%, which I find to be more stable damage, As I already roll the dice w/ him enough. :lol:

I played with him on wifi last night and I'm hoping to change his moveset
-fire/ice fang- with either he'll at least hit everything netural. fire for steels, Ice for garchomp/flygon
-EQ-good base power, hits heatran and Ttar. Brick break is an option here.
-Crunch -decent power/type coverage def drops. w/o cross poison perhaps night slash..
-Acupressure

I'm thinking of removing cross poison (although it works with sniper) as fire fang gives generally the same type coverage as well as others seem to have a high instinct to switch in something to wall poison -type moves.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:41 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You bring up good points about Crunch being better than NS for this (though I believe the base power difference is only 10 - 70 to 80), though i guess its mostly up to personal prefence.

I would personally advise Ice fang over fire, since you get the awesome type coverage both ways, and you'll have something to smack garchomp around with because he WILL switch in to drapion if you give him the chance, the poison resist and STAB SE EQ make it a given. Although if you like the chance of burning multiple things to increase Drapy's physical defensive duties over the chance of freezing one thing and basically taking it out for the rest of the game, that is fine too. Again, personal preference

Also, if you decide to run the set as Crunch/EQ/Acupressure/Fang move, you should try getting it Battle Armor instead of Sniper, since you have no moves to actually abuse sniper with, whereas if Drapion is hit by a CH himself, he dies even if he got the Def/SpDef boost (CHs ignore all stat boosts, iirc)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

EvilPenguin wrote:
You bring up good points about Crunch being better than NS for this (though I believe the base power difference is only 10 - 70 to 80), though i guess its mostly up to personal prefence.

I would personally advise Ice fang over fire, since you get the awesome type coverage both ways, and you'll have something to smack garchomp around with because he WILL switch in to drapion if you give him the chance, the poison resist and STAB SE EQ make it a given. Although if you like the chance of burning multiple things to increase Drapy's physical defensive duties over the chance of freezing one thing and basically taking it out for the rest of the game, that is fine too. Again, personal preference

Yeah, garchomp is a big threat, however I already got 2 pokes w/ an ice move and 0 with fire so I'm a little gah for another ice move >.< but that's true freeze would make a great set up time.

EvilPenguin wrote:
Also, if you decide to run the set as Crunch/EQ/Acupressure/Fang move, you should try getting it Battle Armor instead of Sniper, since you have no moves to actually abuse sniper with, whereas if Drapion is hit by a CH himself, he dies even if he got the Def/SpDef boost (CHs ignore all stat boosts, iirc)

I just found this out the hard way about an hour ago.... I might re-breed him for that (and I could make his IVs better >.>)

Thanks for the advice ^^

What nature is yours may I ask?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:29 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I actually have two drapion I use in battling, which are exactly the same except that one is jolly and one is adamant. I actually use both of them primarily with BPass users, with the Jolly one used when I am planning to concentrate on passing attack, and vice versa.

Oh, and the jolly one is shiny o/. it has a low attack IV though, which is why I onyl use it when it gets a SD/liechi boost

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah I figured adamant/jolly would be best.

Here's my plan now

Drapion
Adamant @ black sludge. Battle armor
138 HP 252 ATK 40DEF 80S.DEF
-Crunch
-Fire/Ice fang (I'm still leaning towards fire esp. w/ scizor's new move. Also perhaps a punch if the tutor rumor is true)
-EQ
-Acupressure

Garchomp is a problem.. even with ice fang. but I have a levitater that can switch in. as well as my Haban-dra that is made to lure and counter dragons toward the start.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]