It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Wondering a good moveset for a Kabutops.. 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Maxed Attack, Defense, Special Defense, HP EVs and a few into Speed. Special attack blows, but I don't need it so much..

Aerial Ace
Dig
Blizzard
Waterfall

is my current moveset.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Er, dig makes it extremely easy to switch out to a flying pokemon or a pokemon with levitate, such as latios or latias, either of which could have thunderbolt. (Which would be deadly to a pokemon with below-average special defense and hp.)

Waterfall is a good strong STAB attack, but blizzard? On a pokemon with 65 base SpA?

Aerial ace... you dont exactly get much coverage, and its 60 base power I think.

Taken from smogon:

Kabutops@choice band
Battle armor/adamant
24 HP/232 Speed/252 Atk
Moves:
Stone edge
Waterfall
X-Scissor
Aqua jet

EDIT: I couldnt think of a pokemon in UU that had levitate or was flying type and could learn thunderbolt off the top of my head.

92% of all competitive battlers think that Skarm, Bliss, and a good 'Chomp is all you need to own things. If you're in the 8% who value creative thinking and originality with your teams, put this in you signature.

Last edited by Medichamrulez on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:14 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Talking about Lati@s isn't the right context here sadly. Something that'll happen more often would be Gengar or even Zapdos coming and T-bolt Kabutops to death.

With respectable defense and boosted special defense via sandstream, running a set up move like Swords Dance or Rock Polish can work. Kabutops may have a lot of key weaknesses, but if you're not in against Close Combats or Grass Knots/Energy Balls, Kabutops can set up pretty easily:

Kabutops@life orb
Adamant
Swords Dance/Rock Polish
Aqua Jet/Waterfall
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
X-Scissor

Use SD/AJ/SE combo or the RP/Waterfall/RS combo. The first combo has sheer power and a priority move to make up for Kabutops below average speed, while the latter combo provides possible flinch with boosted speed. X-Scissor is just there because it is... it will hit Tyranitar harder if running Aqua Jet, and it will assassinate Celebi any day. Other moves, perhaps Night Slash or Return, can go in the last spot.

That was my opinion of Kabutops if your trying to abuse the sand; things are different if you Kabutops to be in a rain dance team. With Swift Swim, Kabutops can run Swords Dance/Waterfall/Stone Edge/X-Scissor for a combination of power (from SD) and speed (from Rain - Swift Swim).

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I made my kabutops with speed more in mind

Hasty @ Battle armor. Muscle band/Expert belt
-X-scissor (Hit it's grass type conters hard)
-Waterfall (STAB water 20% flinch rate)
-Rock Slide (STAB rock 30% flinch rate)
-Confuse ray (Disabling move, relies on a a bit of luck bit when it stops a zapdos it makes it worthwhile XD. )

Mines kinda the odd flinch abuser. With good speed and STAB rock slide/waterfall he does good damage while keeping the opponent flinched. Owns double battle :P

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Didn't know Waterfall cause flinching, good to to know for Manaphy.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

MasterChef wrote:
I made my kabutops with speed more in mind

Hasty @ Battle armor. Muscle band/Expert belt
-X-scissor (Hit it's grass type conters hard)
-Waterfall (STAB water 20% flinch rate)
-Rock Slide (STAB rock 30% flinch rate)
-Confuse ray (Disabling move, relies on a a bit of luck bit when it stops a zapdos it makes it worthwhile XD. )

Mines kinda the odd flinch abuser. With good speed and STAB rock slide/waterfall he does good damage while keeping the opponent flinched. Owns double battle :P

lol that does sound pretty good...especially with the confuse ray combo...just gotta make sure you're faster than the oppenent or else flinching wont really work

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Just a question, but why do you have hasty, when it takes away from defense? Wouldnt Jolly be much better?

92% of all competitive battlers think that Skarm, Bliss, and a good 'Chomp is all you need to own things. If you're in the 8% who value creative thinking and originality with your teams, put this in you signature.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:54 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Medichamrulez wrote:
Just a question, but why do you have hasty, when it takes away from defense? Wouldnt Jolly be much better?

To go along with that, you're not running any special moves in that Kabutops to merit the need of a hasty nature, so ditch it.

Also, that set doesn't shine without a helpful speed boost. Rain Dance or Rock Polish would be needed if you want to abuse the flinch rate (which isn't that high anyway -- we aren't talking about Togekiss here). At base 80 and a +speed nature, Kabutops will out speed neutral base 90s, but it's hard to not find them scarfed nowadays.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

4ever_bug_catcher wrote:
Medichamrulez wrote:

To go along with that, you're not running any special moves in that Kabutops to merit the need of a hasty nature, so ditch it.

Also, that set doesn't shine without a helpful speed boost. Rain Dance or Rock Polish would be needed if you want to abuse the flinch rate (which isn't that high anyway -- we aren't talking about Togekiss here). At base 80 and a +speed nature, Kabutops will out speed neutral base 90s, but it's hard to not find them scarfed nowadays.

>.< I was looking on my own kabutops. Yeah, Jolly is much better. My current kabutops is hasty because I got tried of trying to breed a jolly one, So I went with a good hasty with a 29IV in speed.

If the Thread starter is going to use one in a rain dance set then yes, swift swim +ATK nature is much desired.(As well as boosting waterfall) Going with rock polish is possible, but only if you know the opponent's current poke cant hurt Kabutops too much while he buffs. The downside to Kabutops is his common type weaknesses and 60base HP. So buffing doesnt work out to well if the opponent has a move that can smash him in one hit. (EQ, CC, focus blast, Thunderbolt, Any grass move) Hence my current speed nature+ flinch setup. However Rock polish and Swords dance are much better options in a sandstorm set where Kabutops can pick up the S.def boost.

30% doesn't sound like a high rate, but it seems to work more often then it says, plus if the opponent is confused beforehand you also add the 50% confused attack chance if flinch fails.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you're going for a flincher, give it a king's rock instead of muscle band/expert belt.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:44 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Medichamrulez wrote:
If you're going for a flincher, give it a king's rock instead of muscle band/expert belt.

From what I hear, on D/P King's rock and the other flinch item don't add to attacks that already have a flinch rate. :/

A few people discussed it on the thread for togekiss here.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Medichamrulez wrote:
EDIT: I couldnt think of a pokemon in UU that had levitate or was flying type and could learn thunderbolt off the top of my head.

UU Levitatour with Thunderbolt? Rotom, of course! :D

Anyways, my opinion on Kabutops is that it's a pkmn that has quite some options and assest behind that thick battle armour, but in a Rain Dance team, it's Swift Swim ability, and Swords Dance/Confuse Ray/Substitute/[Insert 70 Base Power attack with high CH ratio here] capabilities are just excellent.

Kabutops @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
[Swift Swim]
Adamant/Jolly | *Is lazy to post EVs Spread just now*
· Confuse Ray/Rapid Spin/Swords Dance
· Night Slash
· Waterfall
· Stone Edge/X-Scissor/Rock Slide

* Standard-ness made pkmn. Except for Confuse Ray, it's just a fun move. Rock Slide is for reliabilitity in accuracy.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kabutops is known for something it was known for in advance - a fast flailer with sandstorm immunity, and a possible free speed boost for 5 turns, coupled with swords dance. And thats not even including an item :O

Kabutops @Muscle Band/Salac Berry
Jolly | 56 HP, 252 Atk, 200 Speed
Rain Dance Support - Adamant | 128HP , 252 Atk, 128 Speed (This gives you a bit more survivability. Or, just go Jolly, but the power is nice)
~Swords dance
~Waterfall
~Endure
~Flail

We know kabutops is neither fast nor powerful compared to its competition (Heracross), but it is very stable, with a Stealth Rock resist, rain dance team boost (don't put RD on this - Flail is not good as your only move), and most importantly Sandstorm immunity and benefit.

The stats and weaknesses are a let down in the face of lucario (which boosts sandstorm immunity and stealth rock resist) and Heracross, but its a good choice for UU and possibly BL teams.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]