It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Slaking 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
Sapphirath wrote:
Sigh...I thought I brought my point out so clearly....looks like people simply Ignored it. If people are gonna switch to something that counters a Normal type attack then you won't be using Giga Impact or return. You would be predicting that the foe will switch to a Ghost, Rock or Steel type and from there you will be using something that counters these types. It's called making use of the turns that other people give you for free. This works very well unless of course, your opponent is someone very good at using Reverse Psychology. Of course, even if they don't switch, you won't lose anything much at all. :?

So, by that logic, why would you bother having a normal type attack if you're going to switch and predict everytime, then you're never going to use it.

Obsidian Wolf 1 x Sapphirath 0... :lol:
True...you might end up hitting that {swampert} that stayed in with a thunderpunch or rockslide...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:51 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well don't tell me you stay and fight against Slaking with a Pokemon that's has no Imba defenses and no resistances to Giga Impact. Nobody does that, it's suicide. So if it's almost a 100% chance they switch to a counter, why use Giga impact? Ironic I know, but it's the fact. Of course, Giga impact is not there for no reason. It can be saved for late game uses when the opponent has depleted his/her Rock, Steel or Ghost types. I've seen to many Gengar and Metagross switches in on Slaking so I've given up using Giga Impact on Pokemon that I know Giga Impact will sure take out.

I belive there is one thing I need to clarify and I apologise for not making things clearer earlier. I'm not saying you can't use Giga impact on the 1st turn. I was referring to situations where you know it's a Confrim switch the opponent's gonna make then you don't use Giga Impact. If you see a Physical Wall like Swampert chances are they won't switch, so you can just go ahead and Giga Impact away. But if you see Pokemon like Dragonite, Garchomp etc. chances are the opponent's gonna switch to something to counter Giga Impact so that's when you start predicting what kind of Pokemon the opponent's gonna switch to before using another move.

Also, I believe there are times where Slaking itself has to switch, so sometimes you don't even attack. This happens when you meet Pokemon like Infernapes etc.
:)

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sapphirath wrote:
Well don't tell me you stay and fight against Slaking with a Pokemon that's has no Imba defenses and no resistances to Giga Impact. Nobody does that, it's suicide. So if it's almost a 100% chance they switch to a counter, why use Giga impact? Ironic I know, but it's the fact. Of course, Giga impact is not there for no reason. It can be saved for late game uses when the opponent has depleted his/her Rock, Steel or Ghost types. I've seen to many Gengar and Metagross switches in on Slaking so I've given up using Giga Impact on Pokemon that I know Giga Impact will sure take out.

I belive there is one thing I need to clarify and I apologise for not making things clearer earlier. I'm not saying you can't use Giga impact on the 1st turn. I was referring to situations where you know it's a Confrim switch the opponent's gonna make then you don't use Giga Impact. If you see a Physical Wall like Swampert chances are they won't switch, so you can just go ahead and Giga Impact away. But if you see Pokemon like Dragonite, Garchomp etc. chances are the opponent's gonna switch to something to counter Giga Impact so that's when you start predicting what kind of Pokemon the opponent's gonna switch to before using another move.

Also, I believe there are times where Slaking itself has to switch, so sometimes you don't even attack. This happens when you meet Pokemon like Infernapes etc.

So if you follow your idea.
Anyone who play against you would predict your prediction,stay in,and pwn your {slaking} ... :shock:

Ex:I have a {snorlax} out and you know i have a {gengar} ...
You predict a switch,so you use shadow claw...
But i stay in...
I don't need to tell you what happens,do i?
(You losses 2 turns...And i can set up,kill you,whatever...)

I mean,just a idiot would leave something like this against a slaking...
assuming that you think your opponent is not a idiot,you think he will switch out ... :lol:

EDIT:
I would ROFL if i see someone using Earthquake against {dragonite} ... or Thunderpunch on {garchomp} ...

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That's when we enter into the world of mind games. Are you certain that you won't switch in on Slaking with a Counter if you have one? Basically almost everybody does that right? I don't think any of you here are Psycologists or something that are experts at using reverse psycology heh? And like I said, you don't lose much even if the opponent didn't switch. It's still a 600+ attack Slaking using an Attacking move against someone. And of course, to minimise your loses if your opponent most unexpectantly didn't switch, you DON'T use a Thunder Punch on a Garchomp because you want to counter Skarmories or Earthquake on a Dragonite to counter other Steel types. It's simply too risky, please, it's called common sense, I DON'T need to clarify/explain that.

While, if you guys are still not satisfied with this explanation, I've got one question you've gotta think about. Do you guys use an Electric attack on Gyarados when you see one? I bet you won't because you won't wanna take the risk of Electivires being switched in to own you. Same logic applies for Slaking, except you're using it for an offensive purpose. There are some other examples around. Like Scizors/Forretresses being used to bait fire attacks for Heatrans etc.

Anyway it all comes down to how well you play your Mind games here, I'm just stating a strategy to counter what most people do. I know there is a minority of people who are "clever" enough to expliot this but on the general view this works.

This is ironic I know, but this is what many of the better players do, swicthing in on Pokemon to gain the upper hand without paying anything. This strategy is simply built to expliot this "weaknesses".

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:49 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sapphirath wrote:
That's when we enter into the world of mind games. Are you certain that you won't switch in on Slaking with a Counter if you have one? Basically almost everybody does that right? I don't think any of you here are Psycologists or something that are experts at using reverse psycology heh? And like I said, you don't lose much even if the opponent didn't switch. It's still a 600+ attack Slaking using an Attacking move against someone. And of course, to minimise your loses if your opponent most unexpectantly didn't switch, you DON'T use a Thunder Punch on a Garchomp because you want to counter Skarmories or Earthquake on a Dragonite to counter other Steel types. It's simply too risky, please, it's called common sense, I DON'T need to clarify/explain that.

While, if you guys are still not satisfied with this explanation, I've got one question you've gotta think about. Do you guys use an Electric attack on Gyarados when you see one? I bet you won't because you won't wanna take the risk of Electivires being switched in to own you. Same logic applies for Slaking, except you're using it for an offensive purpose. There are some other examples around. Like Scizors/Forretresses being used to bait fire attacks for Heatrans etc.

Anyway it all comes down to how well you play your Mind games here, I'm just stating a strategy to counter what most people do. I know there is a minority of people who are "clever" enough to expliot this but on the general view this works.

This is ironic I know, but this is what many of the better players do, swicthing in on Pokemon to gain the upper hand without paying anything. This strategy is simply built to expliot this "weaknesses".

Dude...go play with something else...it's getting really boring...

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:02 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Right I didn't. There's no need to, because you're already owned.:twisted:

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sapphirath wrote:
Right I didn't. There's no need to, because you're already owned.:twisted:

Oh rly? :lol:
I'm hurt...

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:17 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

IMO you are all looking at this wrong. All this seems to be is a competition as to who is the smartest and can outprove the other.

Anyway, now to the point.....
One thing that has been over-looked this whole time is punishment. Everyone complains about truant but lets take a look at a life orb'd slaking against cresselia. First turn Shadow Claw, Cress uses calm mind. Next truant, cress uses calm mind. Now you use punishment, super effecitive in this case ohko'ing the TANK. Tank is the key word in that sentence. If you are going to use slaking the only time your going to face a T-Tar or chomp is they switch into focus punch. Why would anyone try and put a band set on a poke that can only hit once every two turns. It's suicide. Slaking should be designed to take out tanks that stat up. Stockpile Cradily and Calm Mind Suicune are other examples.

FC: 2320 4109 0925

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

luxray strike wrote:
IMO you are all looking at this wrong. All this seems to be is a competition as to who is the smartest and can outprove the other.

Anyway, now to the point.....
One thing that has been over-looked this whole time is punishment. Everyone complains about truant but lets take a look at a life orb'd slaking against cresselia. First turn Shadow Claw, Cress uses calm mind. Next truant, cress uses calm mind. Now you use punishment, super effecitive in this case ohko'ing the TANK. Tank is the key word in that sentence. If you are going to use slaking the only time your going to face a T-Tar or chomp is they switch into focus punch. Why would anyone try and put a band set on a poke that can only hit once every two turns. It's suicide. Slaking should be designed to take out tanks that stat up. Stockpile Cradily and Calm Mind Suicune are other examples.

I don't want to prove nothing,but...
I disagree with Obsidian Wof and Sapphirath ideas,but at least they were good ideas...
Why {cresselia} would calm mind up against {slaking} ?
Why she would stay in anyway?
She could get out on 1st attacking turn and send something like {skarmory} or {bronzong} that would just :lol:
on his face and spike him...
Or send a {ninjask} that would Power Up just like crazy...
Why put 2 attacks on slaking that deal with almost all the same types(Ghost & Dark)?
Life Orb on {slaking} ...nah...
I would save for somthing that would make a good use of it...unless you want to put special moves on it...
(Maybe it could work...)
Expert Belt could be better option...

But really... {slaking} sucks...

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

bushin wrote:
luxray strike wrote:

Err, that's what Debate is about remember?

I disagree with Obsidian Wof and Sapphirath ideas,but at least they were good ideas...

Hmmm...I believe you just brought out the point that you simply Ignored. Right, what are you gonna switch in then? Skarmory or Bronzong right? What would've happened if I predicted you were gonna do that and used a Fire Punch? And even if Cress stayed in you still won't lose much. This has been what I was trying to get into your heads from the start. Deny it, and you'll have to eat your words the next time you switch in on Slaking with a Gengar, Skarmory or Bronzong ETC. :lol:

Also, are you disagreeing with everything because you disagree with Slaking itself?
:?

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sapphirath wrote:
bushin wrote:
luxray strike wrote:

Err, that's what Debate is about remember?

Hmmm...I believe you just brought out the point that you simply Ignored. Right, what are you gonna switch in then? Skarmory or Bronzong right? What would've happened if I predicted you were gonna do that and used a Fire Punch? And even if Cress stayed in you still won't lose much. This has been what I was trying to get into your heads from the start. Deny it, and you'll have to eat your words the next time you switch in on Slaking with a Gengar, Skarmory or Bronzong ETC. :lol:

Also, are you disagreeing with everything because you disagree with Slaking itself?
:?

I just did,huh...? :shock:
Ok i was wrong,I admit my mistake,that's being superior,because i don't know everything...
Yeah,yeah...you are right...Happy now? :lol:
It was fun debating with you people...
I was disagreeing with everyone just because i'm a pain in the butt...don't mind me... :lol:
And yeah,i would never use {slaking} against anyone that has more than 1 of IQ...
Just one thing what IMO means?

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:29 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not debating to put people down so don't get me wrong. It's just that I find it fun debating, so I apologise if I said anything insulting. :)

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:40 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

For double battles you could use a pokemon with skill swap to take away his ability. also, you could use a pokemon with encore and slaking with giga impact so it will repeat the move without charging.
Hoped I helped.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DragonSpear wrote:
For double battles you could use a pokemon with skill swap to take away his ability. also, you could use a pokemon with encore and slaking with giga impact so it will repeat the move without charging.
Hoped I helped.

What? :shock: Encore wouldn't do that... :lol:
The only thing it will do is trap your {slaking} on Giga Impact...

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:47 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sapphirath wrote:
Right, what are you gonna switch in then? Skarmory or Bronzong right? What would've happened if I predicted you were gonna do that and used a Fire Punch? :?

i havent done the maths but unless im very mistaken, skarmory can easily survive fire/thunder punch (same damage as focus punch). then it has a free turn for roost (even if slaking switches). meantime, it has restored its health with leftovers twice. yes slaking has high attack, but there are pokes out there with high defense. and since he only gets to move every second turn, it really gives a huge advantage to skarmory.

i know there are plenty of ways this could go wrong - eg magnezone switches into the roost turn. but its just to say that there are fairly safe (and common) switch-ins to slaking. gengar is a bit more dangerous to switch in, and perhaps near the start of the battle, the slaking should move fairly randomly when it knows something is going to switch out, just to be sure.

ive seen people use slaking REALLY well on netbattle. if the user is intelligent they can make great use of it. i mean a lot of salamences just use a hit and run strategy. if slaking switches out after he OHKO's an opponent, then truant never has to hurt him.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cuddles wrote:
Sapphirath wrote:
Right, what are you gonna switch in then? Skarmory or Bronzong right? What would've happened if I predicted you were gonna do that and used a Fire Punch? :?

i havent done the maths but unless im very mistaken, skarmory can easily survive fire/thunder punch (same damage as focus punch). then it has a free turn for roost (even if slaking switches). meantime, it has restored its health with leftovers twice. yes slaking has high attack, but there are pokes out there with high defense. and since he only gets to move every second turn, it really gives a huge advantage to skarmory.

Have you forgotten? A switch requires a turn. And Slaking uses Fire Punch on the turn you switched out. Which means it's a free Super Effective hit. I know it won't be a 1HKO, but can Skarmory do anything? Roar? A pathetic Steel Wing/Drill Peck attack? Nothing much that can harm a Slaking really. It'll just be a Stalemate between Slaking Fire Punching and Skarmory roosting to SURVIVE, if Skarmory doesn't have Roost then it's gone. You see the whole purpose of this strategy is to Inflict as much damage as possible for FREE. So as long as the opponent switched in on something that you do heavy damage on you have the upper hand. There are few if not none who can switch in on a SUPER EFFECTIVE attack and still have an Advantage over Slaking.
i know there are plenty of ways this could go wrong - eg magnezone switches into the roost turn. but its just to say that there are fairly safe (and common) switch-ins to slaking. gengar is a bit more dangerous to switch in, and perhaps near the start of the battle, the slaking should move fairly randomly when it knows something is going to switch out, just to be sure.

That's what I've been talking about. I don't think you would tell your Slaking to Giga impact from the start based on what you said above.

ive seen people use slaking REALLY well on netbattle. if the user is intelligent they can make great use of it. i mean a lot of salamences just use a hit and run strategy. if slaking switches out after he OHKO's an opponent, then truant never has to hurt him.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

1. switch pokemon X out. slaking uses fire punch. does some damage to skarm.
2. slaking loafs around. skarm uses roost. pretty much back to full health.
3. slaking uses FP. skarm uses spikes.
4. slaking loafs around. skarm uses roost. pretty much back to full health.
5. slaking uses FP. skarm uses spikes.
6. slaking loafs around. skarm uses roost. pretty much back to full health.
7. slaking uses FP. skarm uses spikes.
8. slaking loafs around. skarm uses roost. pretty much back to full health.
9. slaking uses FP. skarm uses roost. just to be sure to get right back up to 100%.
10. slaking loafs around. skarm uses whrilwind.

please tell me that makes sense to you.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:11 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So what? That's only the case if the opponent has a Skarmory with Roost. I've seen to many with Counter instead. Teaching Roost to a Slow Pokemon and making Skarmory have Ground as a Weakness is so not my type. And if it's a Stalemate like that I believe you would be smart enough to switch in on something else that would fare better.

No one I repeat NO ONE would let Skarmory set up 3 levels of Spikes when he or she can prevent it. Anyway, I never said Slaking stays in all the way. It switches when it needs to. So if I meet a Skarmory with Roost and Spikes I would switch Slaking out, eventhough Skarmory can't KO Slaking.

Lastly, EVEN if you force Slaking to switch out with Skarmory you're still at a Disadvantage. You'll be Roosting during the turn Slaking switched out and what happens when your Skarmory faces an Infernape/Electrivire etc. that comes out after Slaking? You switch and "earn" even more disadvantages or your Skarmory gets KOed.
:lol:

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:22 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sapphirath wrote:
So what? That's only the case if the opponent has a Skarmory with Roost. I've seen to many with Counter instead. Teaching Roost to a Slow Pokemon and making Skarmory have Ground as a Weakness is so not my type. And if it's a Stalemate like that I believe you would be smart enough to switch in on something else that would fare better.

I cannot believe you've seen Counter on Skarmory more times than Roost... that's not just possible.

And teaching Roost to a slow Pokemon is the right thing to do; the Ground weakness is only in effect for that turn, so it Skarmory goes last, it's like as if it recovered health without any downfalls.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

thats right.... sapphirath, you seem to be arguing with EVERYONE here. maybe theres a reason for that. you could always just go and think about it for yourself.

the basic thing is that slaking is good for some things. but it has counters just like every other pokemon. you will be fighting a losing battle if you try and argue with everyone's suggested counters. of course he has a way to try and beat some of his counters, but he cant beat them all at once.......

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

4ever_bug_catcher wrote:

And teaching Roost to a slow Pokemon is the right thing to do; the Ground weakness is only in effect for that turn, so it Skarmory goes last, it's like as if it recovered health without any downfalls.

Though if you teach roost on a fast pokemon you remove it's electric/rock/ice weakness for that turn. :P

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You really want to counter {slaking} ?
One word:Protect... :lol:

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, thats sort of obvious - in fact, that is listed as a counter.

But really, to counter it - Bronzong works well if he doesn't have fire punch.
Magnetic Metagross really works (but thats rare, so, yeah). Barring fire punch again.
Hippowdon is good with Slack Off. Needs to avoid critical hits at all costs (night slash, shadow claw).
Stable pokemon with one turn healing moves and a resistance to normal moves or Earthquake. Those that want to can run a team with wish on one poke, and switched to Bronzong.

Actually, its quite funny, new movesets have been popping up for those that want a change of pace...
Slaking @Expert Belt
~Thunderpunch
~Fire Punch
~Return
~Earthquake

I know this definitely needs work, but its got potential. Thunderpunch takes on gyara, waters, and most fliers (you could runice if you want coverage with dragons and pure grounds like hippowdons). Fire Punch takes on Bronzong and steels. Return is powerful. Earthquake is powerful and hits alot.

Probably a fad that will fade. But hey - possible to stick around.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

lol all those are all true statements peanut lover...then again that raises the question...what can have a safe switch in on slaking? accounting every move it knows and every possibility it can be(so that includes special moves)...what can effectively and freely switch into slaking? lol if nothing can than does that mean when a slaking is set out that it's 1 pokemon automatically down for the other person?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

slaking really is so dangerous as to be a severe threat to KO one of your pokes. so some will sacrifice their current poke to get one out that can power up in the truant/switch turn. eg you could get a bellyzard in and use sub in the truant turn, then have a free belly drum and salac activate. fun.....

as for the other moves for slaking, i dont think too many 75BP moves are really desireable. eg the example with hippowdon. returns BP is 153 with STAB. so ice punch (supereffective) is 150 - lower than return. night slash etc with a crit is 140. so return is still the most viable move there. i really think the main moves it should have are

return (always)
earthquake (always)
focus punch (almost always)
something to kill gengar - eg night slash

focus punch because there are so many switches when slaking is out.

im not saying this should be the only moveset, or else it would be so predictable. but still, they are good moves.

now another counter.... destiny bond on a fast ghost like gangar.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next