It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Alakazam 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ah, Alakazam. my all-time favorite poke since R/B. I'm having some problems getting a 4th move on him, just nothing around seems to fit in to well...

My current:
{alakazam}
Modest @ Life Orb. Synchronize
-Shadow ball
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
- ???

=(Profit?)

Unfortunately energy ball isn't an option for me, nor Trick/Choice specs. (Costs me about as many battles as it won me)

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hidden Power?

Depends on its type however...

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Energy Ball usually isn't the norm on an Alakazam (though you will find it on a Gengar every now and then). Do you have access to Grass Knot?

Like Sav said, Hidden Power is always there... Ice or Fire would be the best ones to use though.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

His hidden power is Fighting type ;_; My grass knot TM has been used as well.

I'm thinking of using charge beam at the moment. It's fairly weak but should be able to KO most pokes in the red zone (Having alakazam revenge KO a weak pokemon or surviving a hit to do a 2HKO to the opponent) and getting the 70% S.ATK raise, which would make hims as strong as choice, but not with the limits.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

MasterChef wrote:
His hidden power is Fighting type ;_; My grass knot TM has been used as well.

I'm thinking of using charge beam at the moment. It's fairly weak but should be able to KO most pokes in the red zone (Having alakazam revenge KO a weak pokemon or surviving a hit to do a 2HKO to the opponent) and getting the 70% S.ATK raise, which would make hims as strong as choice, but not with the limits.

My suggestion would be Charge beam/Calm Mind/or Subsitute with a Petaya/Salac.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:30 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Encore isn't a bad move now since I think about it. that is if Alakazam got good speed to outrun most pokemon from 105 EVB or so

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Maybe Snatch...
So you can steal other pokes Stat uppers,Recovery moves and Substitutes?
Works well on {blissey} ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Shadow~Jolteon~XD wrote:
Encore isn't a bad move now since I think about it. that is if Alakazam got good speed to outrun most pokemon from 105 EVB or so

Alakazam has good speed, 120 base + IV's into it

How would Encore be a good move? Most people don't act defensive when facing alakazam. with 55 base HP and 45 base DEF they just attack and alakazam is KOed or near KOed. Kinda the same reason why Trick/Choice specs didn't work well.

bushin wrote:
Maybe Snatch...

XD that what he has currently. It's sweet when it works but most pokes other than blissey will focus on offense to KO alakazam quickly before he can do the same.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

MasterChef wrote:

bushin wrote:
Maybe Snatch...

XD that what he has currently. It's sweet when it works but most pokes other than blissey will focus on offense to KO alakazam quickly before he can do the same.

Even when her need to recover ?
When she has less than half HP and can be OHKOed by a Focus Blast?
Well,you could go for a substitute/Petaya B. {alakazam} then...

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:15 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

bushin wrote:
MasterChef wrote:

bushin wrote:
Maybe Snatch...

Even when her need to recover ?
When she has less than half HP and can be OHKOed by a Focus Blast?
Well,you could go for a substitute/Petaya B. {alakazam} then...

When she needs to recover snatch usually works, but aganist a human opponent after the 1st snatch they'll either
1)stop recovering and focus on attacking. T-bolt, semisic toss, ice beam can all do good damage to Alakazam's 55base HP, even with 85 S.def base
1)recover endlessly until PP for snatch runs out. since it's a priorty move, blissey will get the last laugh.

I dunno if focus blast can take more than 1/2 HP (it's also only 70% accurate), methinks it depends on the blissey's nature + IVs.

substitute/Petaya B. is a similar situation, since alakazam is usually faster he will sub and be broken the same turn.

A smart opponent would realize after the 1st sub that it's a sub berry strategy (Why else would a poke w/ no DEF and HP use one) and get a painless switch out to counter the sub strategy. while alakazam readies another sub.

Even if it works, in the end it leaves him with a 1/4 HP making him easily downed by any attack, esp. multi-hit attacks and a S.A boost a bit stronger than Life Orb.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well i don't want to be rude or nothing but,
if you know that much about battling and stuff,
you should be able to find a filler move by yourself,
right...?
And {alakazam} is not so good...
{weavile} can Night Slash him to death ..

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

bushin wrote:
Well i don't want to be rude or nothing but,
if you know that much about battling and stuff,
you should be able to find a filler move by yourself,
right...?
And {alakazam} is not so good...
{weavile} can Night Slash him to death ..

I know about how a person will typically react to certain moves, I made the post to get help if there is some good combo or strategy I may have missed that alakazam is capable of. Besides, many opinions are better than one.

In the case of Weavile, it's best then for Alakazam to switch out... but then there's pursuit x.x

At the moment I'm stuck between Charge Beam and Calm mind....

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{alakazam} @Focus Sash
Hasty 252 speed 252 sp atk 6 hp
Counter
Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Psychic
Encore

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:26 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Roar Of Time wrote:

{alakazam} @Focus Sash
Counter
Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Psychic
Encore
}

{tyranitar} ... :twisted:

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Roar Of Time wrote:

{alakazam} @Focus Sash
Counter
Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Psychic
Encore

Counter is impossible for me since I don;t have FR/LG or Emerald ;_; Though I do see that + sash to be a good strategy.

I still don't see why Encore would be useful...

bushin wrote:

{tyranitar} ... :twisted:

:objection:

Focus Blast + Ttar's 4x weakness to it, instead of using counter.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Encore and Substitute does have its limited uses with Alakazam, but it is a worthy option to consider with Calm Mind. The basic idea is that if you Encore a non-attacking move like Dragon Dance from Gyarados, Calm Mind from Suicune, or Aromatherapy from Blissey, you have two options at you're disposal, which both are good ones:

1) Stat-up yourself. Calm Minds can help you destroy Gyarados in no time, and helps against Blissey somewhat. Either way, you are able to get in one free Calm Mind as your opponent forcefully stat-up or switch out.

2) You can switch out yourself. This works great on a Seismic Toss-locked Blissey, switching in your Ghost type. We'll use Gengar for example. If you predict a switch from your opponent, Gengar can hypnotize/burn the incoming foe (hopefully not a status absorber) and get yourself an advantage. This tactic in general works well in a team full of resistances/immunities: you can send in Heatran if you encored a fire move, Vaporeon on a water move, etc.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

4ever_bug_catcher wrote:
Encore and Substitute does have its limited uses with Alakazam, but it is a worthy option to consider with Calm Mind. The basic idea is that if you Encore a non-attacking move like Dragon Dance from Gyarados, Calm Mind from Suicune, or Aromatherapy from Blissey, you have two options at you're disposal, which both are good ones:

1) Stat-up yourself. Calm Minds can help you destroy Gyarados in no time, and helps against Blissey somewhat. Either way, you are able to get in one free Calm Mind as your opponent forcefully stat-up or switch out.

2) You can switch out yourself. This works great on a Seismic Toss-locked Blissey, switching in your Ghost type. We'll use Gengar for example. If you predict a switch from your opponent, Gengar can hypnotize/burn the incoming foe (hopefully not a status absorber) and get yourself an advantage. This tactic in general works well in a team full of resistances/immunities: you can send in Heatran if you encored a fire move, Vaporeon on a water move, etc.

If alakazam was slower I could see Encore/sash working well, or if the previous poke was KOed from burn/hail while the opponet buffed. without buffs being factored on either side Alakazam can at least 2HKO most pokes that aren't grand special walls. since Ghost/Fight holds no resistances and Psychic is STAB. I just think it would be a waste for him to risk playing with the opponent with Encore,Substiute when there is a 135(148 if Modest) S.Atk stat to wreck with. I don't see serious opponents buffing while such a powerful but fragile danger is on the field.

Calm mind can work well if the opponent is likely to use non-super effective special attack. otherwise it needs to be combined with sash or just using sub + petra berry instead.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The idea of Encore/Substitute is to stop those supposed grand special walls. Tyranitar and Weavile will still lol at you when they Pursuit you, so Alakazam has no hope against physical sweepers anyway. Besides, I believe it's too late to get Encore on that Alakazam, so let's drop this.

Calm Mind can always work by itself (not in conjunction with Substitute/Encore). Just come in after your opponent killed something with their Gengar or something, Calm Mind as they switch (remember that non-Scarfed Gengars are slower, so they wouldn't risk getting KOed by Psychic). Pretty hard to get a CM in without Encore/Substitute, but it can still work.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

4ever_bug_catcher wrote:

Calm Mind can always work by itself (not in conjunction with Substitute/Encore). Just come in after your opponent killed something with their Gengar or something, Calm Mind as they switch (remember that non-Scarfed Gengars are slower, so they wouldn't risk getting KOed by Psychic). Pretty hard to get a CM in without Encore/Substitute, but it can still work.

True, Calm mind can be nothing but good if the opponent is likely to switch, which is why I'm stuck between that and charge beam >.<

Here's my pro/con list between the two
Charge Beam
+does 50 power damage + 70% s.atk up
+kills gyarados
-Only good to use on near-KOed/sashed survived opponets
-ineffective to grounds(if opponent switches)
-30% chance of no buff

Calm mind
+100% s.atk and s.def buff
+great if opponent is likely to switch/buff
-if no switch/buff happens Alakazam is open to a usually fatal attack
-switch in is likely to be a counter or something that will survive one of alakazams attacks.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

MasterChef wrote:
4ever_bug_catcher wrote:

True, Calm mind can be nothing but good if the opponent is likely to switch, which is why I'm stuck between that and charge beam >.<

Here's my pro/con list between the two
Charge Beam
+does 50 power damage + 70% s.atk up
+kills gyarados
-Only good to use on near-KOed/sashed survived opponets
-ineffective to grounds(if opponent switches)
-30% chance of no buff

Calm mind
+100% s.atk and s.def buff
+great if opponent is likely to switch/buff
-if no switch/buff happens Alakazam is open to a usually fatal attack
-switch in is likely to be a counter or something that will survive one of alakazams attacks.

Bulkydos doesn't get OHKOed by it, and I don't think a normal one does either. High HP + average Spdef = Gyarados will only be OHKOed by a STAB Electrical attack. Non STAB + weak base power, ever with Alakazam's high Spatk base is still not enough, if I recall correctly.

I'd personally go with Grass Knot (didn't realise it learnt it)/ Energy Ball. (Why can't you get another one?) I mean, it stuffs up Pokemon like Swampert and Hippowdon who think they can take on the spoon-weilder with their powered up EQs.

Or you could try Psych Up, though that would be counter intuitive against a Pokemon with Curse, or something like Gyarados; why would you want to increase your attack? It would, however, have its merits against stuff like Calm Minders and Nasty Plotters. That would shock them.

I think PZ has taken Alakazam's place in this metagame. Equal Spatk stats, better typing (if you consider weakness to fighting better typing) and access to BoltBeam and a super powered STAB move with an added effect. :P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dang, I was hoping It would wreak gyarados >.< ah well...

I can get another engery ball, but it would take forever. I'm currently saving up BP for a EQ tm.

I can see psych up working well esp. if he's switched into a nasty plotter (since he'll likely outspeed the opponent) But even then I worry that the opponent would blow him away right after... maybe sash would help.

Curses to PZ >.< *focus blasts*

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]