Psypoke
http://www.psypokes.com/forums/

FAQs, Rules and Tighter Moderating
http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3525
Page 1 of 2

Author:  TonberryKing [ Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  FAQs, Rules and Tighter Moderating

I've collated FAQs and Rules from around the forum and made a nice easy-to-read page on them. The links to these are at the top of EVERY FORUM PAGE so now, there is NO EXCUSE IF YOU DON'T READ THEM.

This came about as the result of far too much spam. The admins and mods are getting sick and tired of it, and so now, we're taking a stricter approach.
The top of the rules page states this:
<b>Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to freely Edit, Delete, Move and Lock posts without warning or reason. Failure to abide by these rules may result in a ban depending on the seriousness of the breach.</b>

There is also a page of handy Quick Links to various topics around the forums.

I know that almost all of you are extremely good community members, and that you follow the rules and that you are polite and kind to other members. These changes should not affect you in anyway, rather, they will only affect the offenders.

Author:  Calculon [ Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:37 am ]
Post subject: 

I think a reason should be presented on request purely out of professionalism and/or politeness.

Author:  Nido [ Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:40 am ]
Post subject: 

The reason will always be the same: "Disobeying forum rules". This is why a reason won't have to be presented - because it should be obvious enough as it is.

Author:  Calculon [ Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Well, that's a "duh". But I meant specifically.

It's also a good way to make sure that Moderators are doing their job properly. I don't even want to bring up some nasty encounters with Moderators that I've had.

Author:  Pokemaster2005 [ Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Calculon wrote:
It's also a good way to make sure that Moderators are doing their job properly. I don't even want to bring up some nasty encounters with Moderators that I've had.


I suppose. However, Moderators are supposed to know what they're doing
in the first place - that's why they were chosen to become a
moderator. If anyone has an issue with a specific moderator, they should
just send a private message or an email to a member of higher authority.

If people want to specifically know why their post was locked or deleted,
they should just send a private message or an email to the appropriate
moderator of that forum politely asking for a reason, although I'd imagine
it'd be pretty obvious.

Author:  Nido [ Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Usually we will give a reason, but sometimes it's just so obvious that the post is spam, or breaks other forum rules that there's no point wasting time editing, then locking, then deleting... It would be faster and more efficient to delete immediately.

If there are any issues with moderating, please feel free to either sort it out with the moderator, or preferably contact TonberryKing.

Author:  Darkkend [ Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Like Nido said, it's too long of a process, especailly the follow up. At the moment i being nice and editing the post and posting the rule thats being broken. Unless its to severe and has to be deleted then it would be deleted with out notice.

Author:  Truestar [ Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Can a veteran tell me, is this what Psypoke use to be like? Tight Moderating, Spammfilled n00bs? I don't like it and I can barely post now without it getting deleted or the topic locked. My friends became Moderators and now we don't exchange words like we used to. I want to stay so bad but this is getting so out of hand.


Recently I had a post deleted for no reason. And yes the above says Mods may do that but come on! That post was merely suggesting how to get someones password after they couldn't get it due to E-Mail problems.

Then applications? Not neccessarily Roleplaying but that's a good amount. Recently someone new wanted to start a Roleplay and they were turned down because the Moderator wasn't sure it a newbie would be dedicated enough. Isn't that stereotyping newbies?

Topics are being locked everywhere, posts being deleted, users getting warnings. So can someone honestly tell me this is what Psypoke used to be?

Author:  RaichuLatias [ Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Truestar wrote:
Can a veteran tell me, is this what Psypoke use to be like? Tight Moderating, Spammfilled n00bs? I don't like it and I can barely post now without it getting deleted or the topic locked.


Most of the time, we lock topics after the question has been answered, it prevents people from posting replies after it's been answered.

Truestar wrote:
My friends became Moderators and now we don't exchange words like we used to. I want to stay so bad but this is getting so out of hand.


It might be because they got busier with things, Mods have alot of work to do on here and alot to learn about Mod Rules.
Truestar wrote:
Recently I had a post deleted for no reason. And yes the above says Mods may do that but come on! That post was merely suggesting how to get someones password after they couldn't get it due to E-Mail problems.


I don't see why that would've been deleted, though personally I feel the member should post in the Help section and tell the E4 to send him his password to his e-mail address.

Truestar wrote:
Then applications? Not neccessarily Roleplaying but that's a good amount. Recently someone new wanted to start a Roleplay and they were turned down because the Moderator wasn't sure it a newbie would be dedicated enough. Isn't that stereotyping newbies?


Thing is, alot of new members used to come on here and start topics, then they'd leave, alot were locked or deleted, they're merely trying to prevent that from happening.

Most of the time, we have to know the member for awhile on here for some things, alot of people came on here, posted once and never returned. How'd you feel if you joined an RP and the creator left?

Truestar wrote:
Topics are being locked everywhere, posts being deleted, users getting warnings. So can someone honestly tell me this is what Psypoke used to be?


If you read the rules, you'd see why topics are being locked, post getting deleted and users getting warnings,

Topics are locked either because there was a similar topic, the question was answered, it was pointless or against the rules.

Posts get deleted if they are Flame, Troll or Spam posts, all of which are against the forum rules.

Users only get warnings when they don't follow the rules.

I hope this helps,

RL

Author:  Truestar [ Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

I guess change isn't an easy thing to go through all the time. :?

Author:  dragonfan149 [ Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Truestar wrote:
My friends became Moderators and now we don't exchange words like we used to. I want to stay so bad but this is getting so out of hand.


Hey I'm still your friend even if we don't share words often anymore. I'll make sure to talk to you now more often.


Author:  sN0wBaLL [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, all the moderators still hold you in high regard, Truestar. Anyway, I don't see why that post of yours was deleted. Rest assured that post deletion would only arise when the post is total spam, or it's flaming someone.

Author:  Truestar [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:25 am ]
Post subject: 

Very comforting words all, thank you. It's good to know everybody is still here in there old spirit. :)

Author:  Cartman Rox965 [ Sun May 06, 2007 9:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I just noticed that there was someone banned for being illiterate...not to be rude or anything like that, but dont you think thats kinda jumping the gun?

Author:  Krisp [ Sun May 06, 2007 9:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

No, it's just a rank. We don't really ban people for being "illiterate", we just assign that rank to them depending on what they did to get banned.

Author:  Cartman Rox965 [ Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oh, I guess it had to do with swearing? lol.

Author:  JsXtm [ Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 am ]
Post subject: 

No. It had to do with pesting the Admins, and continuing in certain actions after being specifically asked to cease them by the Admins. 'Nuff Said.

Author:  p√łkemaster [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to freely Edit, Delete, Move and Lock posts without warning or reason. Failure to abide by these rules may result in a ban depending on the seriousness of the breach.

so the mods and admins lock and move posts for no reason?

im confused.

yeah every forum always needs stricter rules
please do not make them so strict that people are afraid to post.

Author:  TechMath [ Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

p√łkemaster wrote:
Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to freely Edit, Delete, Move and Lock posts without warning or reason. Failure to abide by these rules may result in a ban depending on the seriousness of the breach.

so the mods and admins lock and move posts for no reason?

im confused.

yeah every forum always needs stricter rules
please do not make them so strict that people are afraid to post.


I agree. Now a mod (you know who you are) hates me for confusing polls with posting in Sunyshore/Slateport (Who cares?) Market. Now, he takes it personally. He also said that I suck at spriting. Now, lets get stuff straight.
a. I don't care what you say.
b. I think he broke a rule in doing that.
c. When someone got business from a SotW person and got constructive critisism from a legend spriter, I don't think you tell them they suck.
Also, I don't think that banning him from my shop is against the rules that he made himself (I spilled the beans. :shock: ), unless it would be in the forum rules, but what would it be doing there. And he locked a forum when not all the questions were answered. Sorry for talking so much when I already have here , but back to the quote; I am slightly afraid to post this, but I will post it. [pressing the Submit button now]

P.S. I don't think I will get the answer if the mod posts here, but do it anyways to annoy me.

P.P.S Why don't I just post the post here:
[the mod] wrote:
TechMath wrote:
Anyway... [the mod] just suspended my shop because I overlooked like 4 words in the rules.


I suspended your shop because you overlooked four words? No. I suspended your shop because, like a fool, you COMPLETELY disregarded my first warning, and still you reinstated your poll TWICE after. What kind of an MORON would not only admit to not reading the rules, but would then defy the author of said rules?

TechMath wrote:
Does this mean when my shop gets unlocked, people won't want to come? Only 1 person ordered at my shop already (a SoTW owner though).


Did you ever stop and think, "hmm, maybe I suck at spriting♪!"

TechMath wrote:
Also, I did not put those options there, the mod] did.


No crap. And I am sexy.

AND THE GRAND FINALE:

TechMath wrote:
That is why I am going to ban him from my shop, if I can, which I think I can, it isn't against the rules.


You are by far the BIGGEST retard I have EVER seen on these forums, and you will NEVER own a shop again. :D.
[/quote]

Author:  Valentine [ Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

You added your poll back multiple times. After he changed it/got rid of it. You know what that does? That pisses mods off.

I'm sure nfield doesn't give a ****, and you really can't "ban" him from your shop, because I'm pretty sure he'd post in it just for luls. ;o

If I were still a "legend spriter", I'd comment on your work and tell you you sucked (which you do). Just because some person said your work was great/told you what you could do nicely, it doesn't mean you have a right to be a moron.

Author:  Krisp [ Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Here, I'll straighten this out.

Quote:
Now a mod (you know who you are) hates me for confusing polls with posting in Sunyshore/Slateport (Who cares?) Market.


Baaaaaw.

Quote:
He also said that I suck at spriting.


He is entitled to his own opinion.

Quote:
a. I don't care what you say.


Why are you whining then?

Quote:
b. I think he broke a rule in doing that.


We do not sugar coat everything for our members, so no, he didn't. Oh, and banning an administrator, global moderator, or moderator of Slateport from your shop doesn't work.

Oh, and to make things even worse, you posted here instead of PMing a moderator. That pretty much proves his point when he said "You are by far the BIGGEST retard I have EVER seen on these forums".

Author:  Swift [ Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:25 am ]
Post subject: 

TechMath wrote:
I agree. Now a mod (you know who you are) hates me for confusing polls with posting in Sunyshore/Slateport (Who cares?) Market. Now, he takes it personally.


Who cares? Do you have any idea how long it actually took me to draw up a set of rules like that? Those rules that I stated were created to make Sunyshore less like Fan Art and more like an actual forum to sell artwork. I care a lot about my rules and I'm insulted (and pissed) that you completely disregard them.

Confusing polls? No. Let's get that straight. You created three polls after I told you twice that polls were not allowed. Hell, I wrote in your SHOP that you could not have a poll. Honestly, are you blind or just a dumbass? I'm leaning towards the latter.

TechMath wrote:
He also said that I suck at spriting. Now, lets get stuff straight.
a. I don't care what you say.
b. I think he broke a rule in doing that.
c. When someone got business from a SotW person and got constructive critisism from a legend spriter, I don't think you tell them they suck.


A. Then why in God's name would you post about it?
B. Oh, so all of a sudden it's mentioned in the rules that I can't express my opinion? OOPS
C. "I don't think you tell them they suck." Who the hell are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing? I have four people higher up than me who tell me what I should and should not be doing, and you are certainly not (and never will be) one of those four.

TechMath wrote:
Also, I don't think that banning him from my shop is against the rules that he made himself (I spilled the beans. :shock: ), unless it would be in the forum rules, but what would it be doing there.


No, it's not against the rules; however, you don't (and won't) have a shop anymore, so luckily you're in the clear! Everyone is banned from you shoddy shop! :D

TechMath wrote:
P.S. I don't think I will get the answer if the mod posts here, but do it anyways to annoy me.


Let me put this in laments terms: you're an asshole. If you weren't an asshole, you would probably be more than satisfied with the staff here. Too bad.

Author:  bowspearer [ Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

Pokemaster2005 wrote:
Calculon wrote:
It's also a good way to make sure that Moderators are doing their job properly. I don't even want to bring up some nasty encounters with Moderators that I've had.


I suppose. However, Moderators are supposed to know what they're doing
in the first place - that's why they were chosen to become a
moderator.


In theory yes, but in practice, I've witnessed on other forums that that idea can very quickly go to hell in a hand-basket if you have clique in charge of a forum and you happen to get on the wrong side of them- even if it's from defending yourself when you've clearly been unfairly treated by mod staff (Transformers forums tend to suffer from this ALOT).

The fact is that mods aren't robots they're people, and a blanket statement of "breached board rules" opens up a whole can of worms in terms of both moderator rule abuse and accusations of moderator rule abuse.

Anyway onto what I thought needed some review- necromancy. Now call me crazy, but the idea of necromancy to me implies that nothing constructive can be added to a thread after a certain timeframe.

Yet what about members who just join up, returning members after a long absence, or just regulars who suddenly get the urge to discuss a certain something. If people start up a new thread it's technically spam and if they do the right thing and use the search engine and post in an older thread, they're necromancing.

Now don't get me wrong, I get that the concern is with useless posts being added to an otherwise dead thread, but they arguably fall under the category of spam anyway.

Just a thought...

Author:  Krisp [ Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: FAQs, Rules and Tighter Moderating

Quote:
Anyway onto what I thought needed some review- necromancy. Now call me crazy, but the idea of necromancy to me implies that nothing constructive can be added to a thread after a certain timeframe.

Yet what about members who just join up, returning members after a long absence, or just regulars who suddenly get the urge to discuss a certain something. If people start up a new thread it's technically spam and if they do the right thing and use the search engine and post in an older thread, they're necromancing.


um...we allow constructive posts. Unfortunately, intelligence is a rarity here, so when a thread is brought back to life it's usually some idiot posting a bunch of smilies and one word. If someone revives a thread with a GOOD reply, the staff won't interfere (the only exception to this is a question...one that has been answered already and the thread has been long dead.)

Author:  sN0wBaLL [ Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: FAQs, Rules and Tighter Moderating

Necromancy isn't just referring to the revival of old threads, it refers to reviving these thread with replies which add nothing to the discussion. As such, we do allow posts to remain if they are constructive, as Krisp has mentioned. In fact, we even re-open locked threads if someone approaches us, say, via PM, to say that they have something to add to the discussion.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/