It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Fanfics Discussion Thread 
Author Message
Illiterate
Illiterate

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:47 pm
Posts: 138
Location: Hint: that's not your house settling at night.
Post 
my fanfic rocks. It tells about the creation of pokémon, and it is based on the journals scattered around cinnibar mansion. {mewtwo} is one of the main characters.


Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 510
Location: Where you MOST expect it.
Post 
girog, I don´t mean a single offense to your thoughs, but I may think that your story will become one of the best around, if you can take critizism and learn from your mistakes.

That´s how I learned to structure a desent Fic. (I think). And even though the plot of your story is nice, it´s a shame that the text are kinda a mess, as I said in your thread, or something like that...

_________________
AABM's

Image

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.


· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?


Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:39 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
Having a soft spot for your story is one thing, blatantly having an ego about it is another. The first is cute and many writers have that, the latter is obnoxious and many new writers have that.

Anywho, for those who care and actually read anything I write...I've been working on Guessing Game. I was actually typing up the 6th chapter then my internet died...I was typing it in the post box. It was almost as long as chapter 5...and it wasn't done yet. *cries* So sad, anywho I'm going to get around to it as soon as I finish some of my other self-given projects.

Edit: Oh and I was thinking about putting my first story on here for kicks. I'm thinking about rewriting it because it's really annoying, but I thought it'd be fun to read people's reactions to how horrible the story is, *cough*reallycliche*cough*, sorry about that. I used to love it, and I still have a form of affection towards it...it is my first story afterall. And I still carry pieces of it everywhere in my writing, the characters at least. Yeah I get attached to my characters so much that I can't completely rid myself of them most of the time. So, should I post it or should I spare you all the pain?

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:33 pm
Profile
Fails at life
Fails at life

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: The Forums official moronic epic fail.
Post 
I am here to ask for a few people to vote on my poll after reading the first chapter of my story because i realy want feedback and no one seems to notice it.


Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3142
Location: clegavel
Post 
Hi, my name's SorcererDNA, as you can see.

I have finished a fanfic and am posting it here on Psypoke one chapter at a time. Currently I am on Chapter 23 (on Psypoke, my Word file is completely finished), and since I've been working on stories for at least a year (the longest of which I put my soul into the most), I have confidence that this one is excellent too. I'm also taking an English Grammar class so that helps tons too. I always use Word because my handwriting is bad... Unfortunately my first story, the first of seven parts in a saga (which I should really get back too) need much more formatting and refining before they can be seriously understood. The link to my current fanfic is in my sig. I always find writing the beginning the easiest and the middle hardest. I mean, you've laid out the foundation, you have the ending in your head, and then there's filling in the empty space. Then you think of a climactic moment in the middle and you want events leading up to it, etc.
I write stories with happy endings, although not without plenty suspense and drama interspersed.
And you should take Crimson's comments seriously; they're very well thought through. (If I didn't know better I'd say she was an author or editor.)

- DNA

EDIT: I agree with Girog with the overly punctuated, LOL response. That kind of response has no inner substance to it; it's so cheap.

_________________


Last edited by DNA on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 pm
Profile
Illiterate
Illiterate

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:47 pm
Posts: 138
Location: Hint: that's not your house settling at night.
Post 
my fanfic is written in a journal-like format, where I wrote, and I quote: "end of journal" at the end. the thing that really bugs me is that ppl wrote "LOL!!!1!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!! MAKE AN SEQUELL!!!!!!!!!!! I SPELLS BADLY!!!!!!!"
well, sorta. But one thing that I will ask the good people of psypokes, is how the heck do you make a sequel to a journal?!?!?


Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
Making a sequel to a journal is rather simple. Since your story is an 'excerpt' from a whole journal the sequel would just be another excerpt from the same 'journal'.

Quote:
the thing that really bugs me is that ppl wrote "LOL!!!1!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!! MAKE AN SEQUELL!!!!!!!!!!! I SPELLS BADLY!!!!!!!"

Ha, welcome to the world of writing and getting reviews via internet. Where most of the time people either don't review at all or they make a review that you have to spend at least a minute deciphering. You discourage these obnoxious people by using proper English [or an attempt at it], sure there will still be some imbeciles but there are less of them.

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 974
Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
Post 
Hello everybody! I'd like it if you rated my story about Deoxys I started today! WARNING: Read my story and you'll reconsider using Deoxys in your pokemon games! [For the link click on the "here" in my signature.]

_________________
Image
Reaching out to Pokemon and MegaMan fans alike, join today!
One of the few Pokemon musics most people agree is excellent


Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
Don't flatter yourself so much. It's a story, a fanfiction, about a Pokemon that's having an identity crisis. Anyone who 'reconsiders' using Deoxys in their games after reading your story should have their mind examined.

I just read your story, it took me about two minutes, and at the moment there is definitely nothing warranting a warning. Thank you for reading the rules though, it's nice to see not everyone's lost the ability to click a rules stickie and follow the directions.

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:48 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 510
Location: Where you MOST expect it.
Post 
Umm... yes, you guys read it correctly, I mean it, my Fan Fic has that "Canceled by author" in the title and it will remain like that from now onwards.

I still don´t really like this entirely but I won´t be writing that story anymore... at least not in Psypoke, but I cherish all the stuff you guys taught me about writing.

Thanks to those who pointed out issues in my story and those who praised my works, I wont forget those tips.

_________________
AABM's

Image

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.


· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?


Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 974
Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
Post 
~Crimson~ wrote:
Don't flatter yourself so much. It's a story, a fanfiction, about a Pokemon that's having an identity crisis. Anyone who 'reconsiders' using Deoxys in their games after reading your story should have their mind examined.

I just read your story, it took me about two minutes, and at the moment there is definitely nothing warranting a warning. Thank you for reading the rules though, it's nice to see not everyone's lost the ability to click a rules stickie and follow the directions.
Not my fault that I had to go to bed just as I stated. Thanks, now I'm disurged to continou.
EDIT: Okay, so I did continou, and this time the chapters just a bit smaller then the Epic of Torchic. Hope its long enough to make you happy! But please, don't critisiz like ~crimson~ did, it really hurts my feelings. Happy reading! :D

_________________
Image
Reaching out to Pokemon and MegaMan fans alike, join today!
One of the few Pokemon musics most people agree is excellent


Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 am
Posts: 1559
Location: Dragon's Den
Post 
Dude, critisism from Crimson is the best thing you can hope to get. She is really worth listening to, I'd say she's the best fanfic-er here at Psypoke.

As for my fic, well, the last part is coming soon. I hope its explosive as it looks in my mind... :twisted:

_________________
Image

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."


Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:13 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
Hee, thanks Obsidian but no worries. 8-) I think it's cute when new writers try to act all self-righteous. It just makes me laugh. <3

Blazikins [yes I know I didnt' spell it correctly, consider it your nickname], feelings get hurt, it helps you develop as a writer. And it helps you get passed the most obnoxious stage in a writer's development...which I'm not sure if you're in that stage or not. If not...thank goodness that's one less person to deal with. <3

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:28 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:56 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Arising from my frozen state of death to curse you!
Post 
How should I describe Confuse Ray in a fic?

_________________
Quote:
Hello, emergency? I have a brain. How do I use it?


The cold-blooded Latias expert in Asia with powers over the stars.

80d10302


Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:25 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3142
Location: clegavel
Post 
Hm...How about this?

A small clear ball of light with a rainbow aurora materialized from (Alakazam's spoons, etc.), and launched itself toward (other Pokemon), dancing and twirling as it went, creating a dizzying effect.

I based that somewhat off of the Pokemon Emerald commercial (the best commercial they ever made).

- DNA

_________________


Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
For a long while I have been getting PMs like this...

Quote:
Can you comment on my fic?


And I don't mind it too much, because it is fairly flattering, but it's getting on my nerves. I must be more than just some random ill tempered critic to a fair about of people, because I get PMs like these from different people; but, you all seem to forget that while I may read your story and I may comment I would like the same courtesy. I dislike asking people to read my work, I feel guilty, I want people to want to read it not feel obligated. I don't necessarily feel obligated to read the stories I'm requested to read, rather I feel a mixture of...pride, because they consider me [at least I hope] a decent enough writer to ask, and insulted, because I know that they will probably never comment on my own stories.

I write for myself, but I want people to comment on it, to give me advice or whatever they feel the need to write. Doing things for yourself is a wonderful thing, but sometimes a little help from others is just as great. I desperately want to improve, I want to be the best I can be but I hardly ever get comments on anything which is normal. That's the way it is with a lot of people, I understand that, but I am sick of being asked to read and comment on someone's story when they don't have the courtesy to do the same. Yes, I write longer chapters than most of the users on here I do recognize that, it's something that happens over time a lot.

When I willingly go to your story and post without your asking then I don't expect anything. It was solely my decision and without prompting. My point is, unless you're willing to show the same courtesy of reading and commenting on one of my stories then don't ask me to do that for yours, through PM or otherwise. I don't care which story you comment on, you could comment on one of the first ones I posted on here for all I care. And I realize a lot of you aren't 13, trust me I've thought about that, it's really at your disgression. The rating is not a restriction, it is a guideline when I use it, I act on the expression 'better safe than sorry' when it comes to this, so I may rate things higher than they need to be. I don't know what you are individually 'mature' enough to read but I do make sure my work is generally appropriate for most users on PsyPoke.

Thank you for reading this, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

-Crimson

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:22 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 am
Posts: 1559
Location: Dragon's Den
Post 
I understand what you mean. Generally, with me, I don't have the time to read the fics I want to, and sadly, some of them around here are too long. Not that it is a bad thing, but it means that I can't get to read them.

This is hardly a plea to shorten chapter lengths, because that would make me the biggest hypocrit in the world, all I'm saying is that I can see where Crimson is coming from.

I would love to read through everyone's fanfic, but it would realy annoy me if someone PMed me asking me to read their fanific with little intention of reading mine. Thankfully, that hasn't happened to me, and really, that just proves what a great critic Crimson is.

When there's a rainy day, and all topics have been successfully answered, I intend on reading everyone's damn fiction on this forum! (That'll probably be when I am ninety, and when arceus has brought itself into the real world and makes us worship it...)

_________________
Image

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."


Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:31 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 522
Post 
That is the way it is with me. I will read the first chapter and if I don't like it, well . . . tough. I'm not going to 'grade' it. But if I read some and I like it *coughObscough*, I will grade it and give then advice where it is needed.

_________________
<center>Image
Join PokeJourney, an RPG site, today!
Image</center>


Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:45 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
I never just judge by the first chapter, sometimes the beginning isn't all that enthralling [look at the Harry Potter books, their beginnings are horrifically boring] so I try to stay with it and keep reading for a few chapters. Sometimes it just takes a while for a story to really kick off.

DarkPhantom02 wrote:
will read the first chapter and if I don't like it, well . . . tough. I'm not going to 'grade' it. But if I read some and I like it *coughObscough*, I will grade it and give then advice where it is needed.


I really hate the 'grading' thing that is so popular on this forum. Writing and art work are so subjective I don't feel it's appropriate in the least to 'grade' any of it, especially on a site like this.

There is no doubt that as humans we pass judgement on things constantly, intentionally or not. But 'grading' things as subjective as writing isn't appropriate. Using words to express your opinion is so much more powerful. If you're writing use words to express how you felt about what you read. If you adored something express it as such. If you abhored another express it again. Widening one's vocabulary is so important, and being able to articulate your thoughts and emotions are just as important if not more so. By using words to communicate how you felt about a composition or part of it then you are improving as a writer yourself. This is partially why I stress not using chat speak so much. You would be amazed how much you improve if you force yourself to keep working and trying to improve. It takes constant effort and can be extremely irritating at times but the reward is priceless when you look back to where you were in comparison to where you are.

And only commenting on what you like isn't trully appropriate either. I hate half the things I read on here, because of my personal taste not the author's skill level, but I still take the time to read and comment them. You should comment on things you like and dislike, it'll broaden your view of writing in general and it will provide a different view point for the authors. Liking something and commenting on it is in no way a bad thing, what's bad is that they're the only stories you've claimed to comment on. The more you comment on things you like and dislike the more you can learn. You can learn through others mistakes thus improving yourself.

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Last edited by Crimson on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:03 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 522
Post 
~Crimson~ wrote:
And only commenting on what you like isn't trully appropriate either. I hate half the things I read on here, because of my personal taste not the author's skill level, but I still take the time to read and comment them. You should comment on things you like and dislike, it'll broaden your view of writing in general and it will provide a different view point for the authors.


I don't critique the authors skill level, I judge their work. And I give criticism where needed. About the only commenting on what I like . . . the reason I do that is because I have a very hard time keeping an open mind on what i don't like.

_________________
<center>Image
Join PokeJourney, an RPG site, today!
Image</center>


Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:25 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
DarkPhantom02 wrote:
I don't critique the authors skill level, I judge their work.


That's where you're wrong. Their work is a direct reflection of their skill, mental state [motivation, mood, etc], and their creativity. When you comment on a story, giving suggestions for it to be better, you're actually a critic of a writer's skill. Their skill is how they use words to communicate to the readers and make them see and feel what they want them to. The writer learns from the comments on their stories, so their skill improves over time as they try to impliment some if not all of the comments in other works. You also test their mental state, their maturity to take comments from harsher critics such as myself or their ability to handle stress. Their mood while writing effects the work they produce. This is why commenting is such a vital part of writing. Praise reinforces something they're doing and gives them a bit of confidence. Suggestions point out areas of weakness that can be more focused on. The trick for the writer is to properly impliment the advice given, if you focus solely on one area then you are bound to lose your touch in another. Writing is a balancing act.

DarkPhantom02 wrote:
About the only commenting on what I like . . . the reason I do that is because I have a very hard time keeping an open mind on what i don't like.


So? Everyone does, being able to comment with out your own prejduces completely altering your comments is a skill to learn. Like I said, I hate half the things I read on the site because of my own prejduces as to what I consider an interesting story or not. But, over time I forced myself to be able to look at different things and try to remove a lot of the emotion out of the way I break down a story. Each person's taste is different which is to be expected and respected; but, I refused to make comments and suggestions based solely on my preferences. I hardly ever make comments on the plot, and if I do I try to make sure I've seperated my own biases from it as much as possible and look at it from a different perspective. It's a hard skill, so I don't do it often because in some cases I really can't and in others I really don't want to.

That's why comments on structure and organization are so much easier to write for many people, because their own personal biases sometimes get in the way. Looking at the world from a different perspective opens many doors and can change the way you originally viewed something. When you know what you know about a topic that gives you more of an edge when you go to comment, but the more you know the more well rounded you become as a critic and a writer because you may one day use something you read from a different perspective in your own work.

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 522
Post 
I still don't understand why its bad to critique someone's work. Isn't that one reason why its here?

_________________
<center>Image
Join PokeJourney, an RPG site, today!
Image</center>


Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:23 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 am
Posts: 1559
Location: Dragon's Den
Post 
DarkPhantom02 wrote:
I still don't understand why its bad to critique someone's work. Isn't that one reason why its here?


I don't think that's what she's saying. I think it is more the fact that we need to focus on style rather than content. For example, I couldn't very well go and say to Treeckoluv that I didn't like his story because I hate Murkrows, but I could (and should) give him factors how to make it better.

I think that's what Crimson means, or at least, that's what I attempt to follow.

Overall, I don't write for critique anyway, I write merely because I enjoy it and for other people's benefit. Critique is the added bonus if someone decides to comment on my work.

_________________
Image

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."


Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:39 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 522
Post 
Well, of course I don't say that I don't like a story because of one of the characters in it. (I like Murkrows lol!) I understand now. Well, thanks for the help Crimson. Despite any . . . angst . . . between us, I really, really take your opinion above all others. You are truly one of a kind.

_________________
<center>Image
Join PokeJourney, an RPG site, today!
Image</center>


Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:10 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 716
Location: USA EST
Post 
Last I checked I didn't say it was bad to critique...I said it was incredibly important even if you're writing only for yourself. Obsidian got what I said, say you hate Gyarados, you shouldn't say you hated the story just because of that. When you hate it because of that looking at it from a different perspective is really important. It's easier if you try to act like a different character who doesn't hate them or adore them, that way you're nuetral about the work's subject. When you're reading the comments your given you don't want someone who has a bias telling you your story is horrible because it isn't what they like, what they're biased about. So being able to remove that bias a little, it impossible to completely be rid of it, is a really valuable skill. That way you're only looking at the organization, structure, etc. mainly the writer's skill rather than their creativity. Cliche stories are bound to be written at least once, and it may be commented on so that the author can begin to recognize them, but I don't feel that stories should be critiqed on their creativity. Their creativity isn't how they improve through help, this improves through time as they find themselves as a writer.

_________________
Link changed to my library.
Image


Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.