It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Heaven Only Knows (K+) 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This is an opened ended plot about someone who almost never had a pokemon in his life and how that all changes one day. Drama K+

It was another chilly day on the docks of Canalave City. Ray was shifting though yet another shipment of mining tools bound for Oreburgh. He blew a tuft of his reddish brown hair from his face. It was always in need of a cut and looked rather ragged. Otherwise, he was a very clear and healthy guy. He checked off the last of the parts and nodded to Leonard his much older partner on the unloading crew.

“Looks like that’s the last of it.” Ray commented. It was a boring job, but the pay was good and old man Byron was a fair but demanding boss to work for. He and his son ran the majority of the heavy mining operations in the Sinnoh region and it didn’t hurt their reputations being two of the local Pokemon gym leaders. Ray looked up to Byron a lot and wore a black scarf in honor of Byron’s signature cape.

“Good, good. This is the last for truck going to Oreburgh,” Leonard called back. “We’ll get a bonus for the over time on this one. Wanna hit the pub before we hit the sack?”

Ray smiled and shook his head. He may not be as old as Leonard and the others on the docks, being barely over 21. But, in the year he has worked there he was becoming more and more ‘just one of the guys’. It was reassuring for Ray. He wasn’t like most children in his hometown of Eterna City. He didn’t dream of being a Pokemon anything. Much less take months to years out of his life to go on some wild journey. Oh, he liked Pokemon as much as anyone! But, in his life he rarely saw any reason to have or train Pokemon besides reasonable or industrial reasons.

Leonard pulled his gloves off and nodded towards the Machamp loading the last item on the truck. “Old Knuckles here fought off two rookie trainers who went for Byron’s badge this weekend. Remind me we need to get him some Poffins at the store on our way.”

Ray nodded and pulled off the hot gray and yellow uniform jacket. Leonard doubled as one of the few workers who battled in the Gym. Ray always got a laugh out of his various victories and defeats at the hands of young trainers. Leonard honestly never challenged Byron but always seemed to be by his side when a Tourney was coming up. Ray always made it a point to catch his friend in a non Gym battle.

“I dunno Leonard. Knuckles is starting to show a paunch. You sure we shouldn’t just get him some vitamins?” Ray joked.

Leonard blew him off and reached down to pick up his lunch box when he jumped back startled. Ray perked up and Knuckles hopped down off the truck to protect his master.

“What is it?” Ray asked.

Leonard made a clicking noise in the back of his bearded throat in that way he does when confused. He reached down and pulled out a small object from behind his lunch box. Ray inched closer to look at the tiny thing. It was a shiny spotted egg. Larger than what you would buy in a store. It could only be one thing. A Pokemon egg.

“Would you look at that,” Leonard said. “Who left this little wonder here?”

“I wouldn’t know.” Ray commented. He didn’t remember any other Pokemon on the dock. And unless Knuckles was a lady, and he wasn’t, then there shouldn’t be a reasonable way for the egg to be there.

They both looked at each other and frowned. Ray shook his head as he knew what Leonard was about to say next.

“You keep it. Hatch the thing and keep it.” Leonard stated.

Ray threw up his hands and waved them seriously. “No way man. You know me and Pokemon. I’m mister klutzy. Mipsy wont talk to me now after I stepped on her Wobbaffet’s tail.”

Leonard shook his head. “I can’t keep it. The wife would kill me. We’re already full up with Knuckles and my kids Pokemon.”

Knuckles nodded and crossed his arms in agreement. Leonard added, “Besides, it’s an egg. It won’t hatch right away. You just keep it warm at home and it will bond to you right away. Think about it. Finally, your own Pokemon.”

“But what if it’s something huge or weird,” Ray asked. “I can’t raise a Muck or Girafarig in my little apartment.”

Images of a large Pokemon tearing his small but clean home up gave Ray shivers. Then again, one of his dreams was to own his own. He remembered the disaster of trying to catch one as a child. They just didn’t seem to take to him. Perhaps another reason why he never got one to this day.

Leonard smiled. “Besides neither of us can take the time off to drive to Solaceon to give it to the day care there. Who knows it might be something useful like a Chatot or a Happiny?”

Ray looked long and hard at the egg and then took it into his hands with a caught breath. He nodded and tucked the little thing into his long fuzzy jacket pocket with a sigh. The moon began to show just at the horizon as the starts came out after the sun finally set. “If this thing is a Magikarp you owe me a drink.”

Ray didn’t have to wonder what the egg was of for long. Just as they got in Leonard's truck and pulled away from the docks he felt a tapping in his chest pocket. Leonard peeked over his shoulder and Knuckles pulled his head over the car seat to watch. Clawing its way out of the egg with a delighted squeal was a little Cleffa. It took a big breath and wobbled around in Rays hand before looking up with an expectant glance at its new ‘mamma’.

Ray laughed and ticked its cheeks as it continued to squeal with delight. “Heya little fella. I’m Ray and you’re my first Pokemon. Where you came from? Heaven only knows…”

Sun May 20, 2007 11:55 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

good title, but you should have a few chapters written before being posted

Edit- Crimson, your right sorry joe

Last edited by EXP on Mon May 21, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 21, 2007 9:44 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My usual targets in a story look fine, so your spared. Your author's note made me chuckle 'someone who almost never had a pokemon' how do you almost never have a pokemon?

Anyway, EXP...He may have the three required chapters written. But, he's doing what everyone else should have been doing for a while, he's posting one at a time waiting for others to post first. So I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Mon May 21, 2007 12:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I love this story. A lot. I'm going to print it out when you get more chapters. <3

Now, there's a few grammatical errors, though.
Mostlyjoe wrote:

“Looks like that’s the last of it,” Ray commented.

You should use a comma instead of a period if your dialog doesn't finish the sentence.
Mostlyjoe wrote:
But, in the year he has worked there he was becoming more and more "just one of the guys".

You should use quotation marks right there, but it isn't necessary.

Mostlyjoe wrote:
Leonard honestly never challenged Byron, but always seemed to be by his side when a Tourney was coming up.

There should be a comma there.

Mostlyjoe wrote:
“I dunno, Leonard. Knuckles is starting to show a paunch. You sure we shouldn’t just get him some vitamins?” Ray joked.

A comma there, too. There should always be a comma before a name in a case like that (I dunno what it's called), as well before "too".

Mostlyjoe wrote:
Leonard blew him off and reached down to pick up his lunch box when he jumped back ,startled. Ray perked up and Knuckles hopped down off the truck to protect his master.

A comma there, too. :P

There are a few more errors, but I think you get it. :)

Mon May 21, 2007 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'll have the 2nd Chapter up by tonight. Job and some editing are required. :D

Edit: Ah! My primary PC bit the big one. And with it my copies of the next chapter. As soon as I can I'll recreate what was lost. Catch you then.

Tue May 22, 2007 6:24 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]