It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 22:40 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I had this writing urge so I tried writing something really weird.
I ended up describing a rather ordinary (but nasty) situation in a very abstract way. :P It sounds pretty peculiar in the beginning (lots of weird metaphors when describing the surroundings) but I think the last sentences will make it more clear.
Btw, the original text was in Finnish but I translated it roughly so it'd make more sense to you.

22:40

As the temperature lowers, darkness entwines its tail around the trees.
A fragment of rock hits the atmosphere and flashes like a distant muzzle blast.
The sphere orbiting the planet borrows light from the star, reflecting it from its dusty surface.

The slow breathing of nature echoes from the forest, strenghtened by the trees. A strand of hair swings at the nose causing a vexed snort.

Somewhere the neighbour's dog is barking at nonexistent prey. In its head, primitive instincts tackle all other thoughts, leaving continuous yapping the only choice.

Cold is thrusting knives into the cheekbones. Crackling breath is aborted for a while by a cough.
Eyes wander lightyears from here, from one star to another. How many of them have already exploded, leaving only their fading images travel in the void?

A bluish figure follows movements on the crust of snow. Ice crystals won't glitter on that splotch suffering from lack of light, but as soon as it moves, shine fills the hole. Not even a swift thought can match the speed of that pale light.

The cold, metallic handle won't give up on the hand squeezing desperately, it just stays up. The keyhole stares expectingly but still cannot take care of its task. Synapses can almost be heard snapping, rearranging, trying to find a solution to the problem together.

Something shiny hits the snow, clinking temptingly like a cash register. The body is startled, and after determining the situation, twists to hold up the object, sighing from relief.
The blue figure continues its imitation. The piece of metal clicks on its familiar place, the lock shows its positive side. Warmth radiates through the opened door.

The hole, going from the pocket inside the jacket and finally out, knows where the keys went. Trust in the pocket has been lost, it won't be carrying any important belongings until the incident is forgotten again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just for fun, I'm also including the original Finnish version, in case someone speaks Finnish and is interested in reading it.

22:40 (Finnish version)

Pakkasen kiristyessä pimeys kietoo häntänsä puiden ympärille.
Kivenkappale iskeytyy ilmakehään ja välähtää kuin kaukainen aseen suuliekki.
Planeettaa kiertävä pallo lainaa valoa tähdeltä peilaten sen pölyiseltä pinnaltaan.

Luonnon hidas hengitys kaikuu metsästä puiden vahvistamana. Hiussuortuva heilahtaa nenään aiheuttaen närkästyneen tuhahduksen.

Jossain naapurin koira haukkuu olemattomille saaliseläimille. Sen päässä alkukantaiset vaistot taklaavat muut ajatukset, jättäen ainoaksi vaihtoehdoksi jatkuvan räkytyksen.

Kylmä survoo poskipäihin puukkoja. Rahiseva hengitys katkeaa hetkeksi yskähdykseen. Katse vaeltaa valovuosien päähän, tähdestä toiseen. Monikohan niistäkin on jo räjähtänyt, jättäen vain kuvajaisensa vaeltamaan tyhjyyteen?

Sinertävä hahmo seuraa liikkeitä hangella. Tuolla valon puutoksesta kärsivällä läiskällä eivät jääkiteet kimaltele, mutta heti kun se siirtyy, hohto täyttää reiän. Vilkas ajatuskaan ei pärjää kelmeän valon nopeudelle.

Kylmä metallinen kahva ei anna epätoivoisesti puristavalle kädelle periksi vaan pysyy ylhäällä.
Avaimenreikä tuijottaa odottavasti mutta ei saa vieläkään hoitaa tehtäväänsä. Synapsien voi melkein kuulla napsahtelevan, järjestäytyen uudelleen, etsien yhdessä ratkaisua ongelmaan.

Lumeen iskeytyy jotain kiiltävää, kilahtaen kutsuvasti kuin kassakone. Keho hätkähtää ja, tilanteen arvioinnin jälkeen, vääntäytyy kohottamaan esineen huokaisten helpotuksesta. Sininen hahmo jatkaa yhä matkimistaan. Metallinkappale loksahtaa tutulle paikalleen, lukko näyttää positiivisen puolensa. Lämpö säteilee avatusta ovesta.

Takin taskusta vuorin sisään ja lopulta ulos kulkeva reikä tietää, minne avaimet menivät. Luottamus taskuun on mennyt, se ei tule kantamaan arvotavaroita ennen kuin tapahtuma taas unohdetaan.

All criticism, flaming and comments are appreciated, especially helpful hints on how to improve this little story. :D
Also, please let me know of any possible grammatic weirdnesses in the English version.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]