It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TDWH 1.5 - The Suffering He Endured 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Obsidian, I am HIGHLY impressed by your fics. I've just sat and read this AND Darkness within Him in one evening and they're very good. Can't wait to read what happens next :)

That's really good to hear, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Just wondering though; was it due to my signature that you read them, or because you followed the link in this topic?

Am I getting you confused with someone else, or did you write a fic detailing the three legendaries of Hoenn in a slightly parodic (yes, it is a new word) way, ending with Groudon eating Kyogre? If so, I remember you, if not, your name rings a bell but I don't know from what room it rings. :P

Regardless, I'm glad that I'm getting other people to view my fics and I'm even more glad (gladder? :P ) that people are enjoying them. Thanks for the feedback.

Next update should be pretty soon, I was expecting there to be more work at the beginning of this term than has come about. At the very latest, Saturday will be the next update, detailing Red and the other's adventure. I 'd actually like there to be a normal battle in this fic; there hasn't been one so far, apart from the random Mewtwo vs. Deoxys match which wasn't the most exciting of battles (considering how outclassed Mewtwo is by Deoxys.)

~Obs.

EDIT: Oh, and blu-suicune: I'm sure you had an obsession with Steven from Emerald, right? If not, sorry! :P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Another great chapter Obs! :D You were right about deoxys being way too obvious but not in a bad way. I'm really looking forward to reading how mewtwo beat deoxys (i assume he beat him since he is alive in the end of TDWH), because realistically mewtwo doesn't stand a chance.

P.S. Something i never got the chance of asking you... Why did you choose Darkrai to be the darkness inside Red? Wouldn't Giratina make a better option since it's already the king of the otherworld? While reading the fic i was certain that it's Giratina until i read a part where you wrote about a blue eye. Only then i started thinking of Darkrai.

Anyway, keep writing!

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's really good to hear, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Just wondering though; was it due to my signature that you read them, or because you followed the link in this topic?

Well, I followed the link in the topic. I'd started reading a while ago, but never got around to making a comment. I'm kind of glad I did wait, it was worth it.

Quote:
Am I getting you confused with someone else, or did you write a fic detailing the three legendaries of Hoenn in a slightly parodic (yes, it is a new word) way, ending with Groudon eating Kyogre? If so, I remember you, if not, your name rings a bell but I don't know from what room it rings. :P

*laughs* You remembered! Yes, 'The Fate of Hoenn' was mine ^^;

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and blu-suicune: I'm sure you had an obsession with Steven from Emerald, right? If not, sorry! :P

*blushes a little* I still do, I admit ^^;

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Offtopic I know, but are you a guy or a girl? The usual 'zomg Steven' thing is usually coming from the girl population that like pokemon, though gay people are said to exist and rather like the dashing master of metal. :P

As for an update; while I can take the time about to tap out a two minute message for this, I have found a stack of homework from last year that needs doing. So, no update. :P

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Offtopic I know, but are you a guy or a girl? The usual 'zomg Steven' thing is usually coming from the girl population that like pokemon, though gay people are said to exist and rather like the dashing master of metal. :P

I nearly said 'guess' but I won't. I'm a girl :D 'Dashing master of metal'. I like that! <3

I would say 'I can't wait for you to update', but I can cus I have homework too. Besides, no rush :)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hooray, update, though it is a day late thanks to Jiggz' updating of the forums. I think it all looks pretty damn good, kudos to him (coughSteven'scatchphrase...;) )

Anyway, this update is a little lengthier, and it actually has a mention of a Pokemon Battle! Shock horror!

Quote:
The road from Viridian City, leading south down to Pallet Town brought mixed emotions to Red. He could remember the first day of his journey, walking proudly to the next town with his new Pokemon beside him. Running errands for Professor Oak was the only adventure he had ever had in those days, and he suddenly had the overwhelming desire to go back to the way things were, to enjoy the quaint life he had lived in Pallet Town, sheltered from the evils of the wider world, such as the infamous Team Rocket. Alakazam had teleported him from the roof of Viridian Gym and he had filled Xavier and Scarlet in with all the details and of the mystery Pokemon that had wasted Mewtwo. They had seen the battle, and they were just as puzzled as to the identity of the orange and green Pokemon…

The path widened out, revealing the small village. Xavier and Scarlet had already visited Pallet and Red felt a twinge of jealousy that they had come to his hometown before he had.

Red dismissed the thought as a building appeared in his sight. Just a way away stood his house, and he found himself running to the front door. As ever, it was not locked and he pushed his way inside, calling his mother.

There was no answer, and Red felt a lead weight in his stomach. He checked each room, and when he came back down to the living room, he saw that Xavier and Scarlet had joined him.

“This is a pretty nice house you have here Red,” Xavier said, picking up a Bellsprout ornament from the mantelpiece and turning it over.

”I don’t think my mother’s in…” Red muttered, feeling more upset than he should. “Perhaps she’ll be back later.”

Scarlet nodded. “Why don’t we go and pay a visit to Professor Oak, tell him that you’re okay? He might be able to give us some more answers about this problem that Kanto faces.”

”Yeah, okay,” Red said, entirely lacking enthusiasm, and the three of them left his house.

There was a large number of people gathering outside Professor Oak’s laboratory, and Xavier noted that it hadn’t been this busy earlier when they were there. To Red’s surprise, there were a number of faces that he recognized, trainers and Gym Leaders alike.

“Red, I’m so glad you came as well,” came a familiar voice. Sabrina walked over to the trainer and smiled, though she stood a fair distance away from Red; she still feared the darkness within him. “After I saw the television broadcast, I simply couldn’t stay in Saffron and do nothing.”

Red looked quickly up at his friends. “Television broadcast?”

Sabrina did not have time to answer, for the doors opened, and Professor Oak appeared. The crowd hushed, and Red was put in mind of a government official, making a speech to his people.

“I’d like to thank all of you for gathering here,” the elderly man began, “you all must understand the dire situation that Kanto faces. I-“ he paused, for he had just noticed Red. “I’d like to begin, however, by explaining exactly what has happened.”

He looked fixedly at Red, before looking at the crowd as a whole. “Giovanni, Blaine and Mr. Fuji combined their money and scientific prowess to take the DNA of Mew and the DNA of Red, the recent Elite Four challenger and merge the two. The result was a being that has been christened ‘Mewtwo.’ You may have seen a number of reports, detailing the Pokemon’s crimes against Kanto; the burning laboratory of Cinnibar that has claimed so many lives, including the Fire Gym Leader’s; the collapse of the Lavender Tower and an even more recent attack on Viridian City’s Gym. It is for this reason that I summoned you, the best trainers in the land, to my lab.
But the question that is constantly in my mind, and I’m sure in many of yours too, is why is the Pokemon doing these things? Well, I believe I have the answer.”

Again, he looked back at Red, and the young trainer knew that Oak was about to reveal things about himself that even he didn’t know.

“Red’s DNA runs through Mewtwo’s veins. However, that is not all. An evil spirit has latched onto Red’s being, and is using his life force and energy to pull itself into this world. In taking Red’s DNA and fusing it with another’s to create a new being, that new creature has a part of that spirit within it too. Sadly, having been the product of such a torturous experiment, the clone was bound to have wicked tendencies, but I fear that with this dual evil that its mind possesses is a direct result of using Red’s DNA.”

Red felt cold. How did Oak know all of this? He had never confided in him about his problem, and yet here he was, telling others about an issue that he evidently knew more about than Red himself!

“It is for this reason,” Oak continued, “that Mewtwo is attacking its creators. It is aware of the darkness within him and quite clearly does not want to be a part of it. As a result, its logic is that if it removes those that implemented the darkness within him, then that darkness will vanish too.”

A hand came up from the crowd, and a voice spoke. “But surely the creators didn’t willingly pass the spirit over to Mewtwo? That would make it untamable, surely…”

Professor Oak nodded. “Misty is right. The three creators did not know of what inhabited Red, and saw only his skill for battling. Mewtwo’s mind would have been unsteady without this darkness, but with it, it is a psychopath that will stop at nothing to achieve its aims. And I’m afraid those aims are to kill its creators, a task of which he has already completed two thirds.”

“So what do we do?” came another voice.

“Well, after I saw the atrocities on the news, I made my own broadcast that you all responded to. Having summoned the best trainers in the land to my laboratory, I intended on leading an army to Mewtwo’s base, a great metal structure that he is building atop Cinnabar Island’s Volcano. We will lead our Pokemon into battle and defeat the clone, for I fear that when its objective has been completed, its suffering will not end there; it will continue to destroy and kill until its madness is gone which, sadly, it never will.”

Never…Red felt a cold dread sweep over him. Was this darkness going to stay in him forever? Perhaps he wasn’t like Mewtwo, perhaps it would go away, but he had noted that Oak had not been looking it him during the speech; was he scared of telling Red the whole truth?

“Lt. Surge and Clair will lead a quick training session,” came Professor Oak’s voice again, pulling Red out of his thoughts. “We need to get in all the training we can before we storm the volcano.”

The group had been divided in two, a group each for Clair and Lt. Surge. Red, Xavier and Scarlet had been placed with Lt. Surge and he had them lined up in a row as he drilled them for the exercise.

“You are all familiar with standard battling, correct?” he barked, and the line nodded. “Well, the enemy won’t be battling by the rules, he will be using an arsenal of weapons that we don’t even have a clue as to what they are. So, we also need to play by his rules. I need a volunteer!”

No-one put up their hands.

“Good, you’ll do,” he said, and took Xavier by the shoulder. “Instead of battling one Pokemon at a time, we need to use every one of our Pokemon if we are going to survive on the battlefield.” At this, he took out five Poke Balls and released an army of electric Pokemon. They lined up in ranks; they had clearly done this before.

“I’ve only got three Pokemon,” Xavier said tentatively.

“Tell that to Mewtwo when you face him in the arena!” Surge barked. “Now, release your Pokemon!”

Xavier released his Combee, Flaafy and Larvitar, biting his lip as he saw how unorganized they were in comparison to Surge’s.

”Begin!” called Surge. “Team, Battle Strategy Shock Wave!”

Xavier ordered various commands to his Pokemon, while Surge’s Pokemon moved into position. With a blast of light, four of them aimed a powerful electric attack at the middle one, a yellow and black bipedal Pokemon.

Confused at the attack strategy, Xavier ordered an all out offensive. “Flaafy, Cotton Spore! Combee, Tackle attack! Larvitar, use…Psychic?” His last Pokemon was only recently captured, and he knew little as to what it could do. The cottony blast was dispelled as Surge’s Ampharos dived toward it, before it span round and smashed Combee to the ground with its tail. Larvitar’s eyes glowed and a boulder, at least three times the size of the Pokemon, levitated into the air.

“Now!” came Surge’s voice. With a cry, the center Pokemon that had been attacked loosed a great shockwave of energy. Combee’s fallen body was thrown up into the air, followed by Flaafy as the blast tore through the air. The rock that Larvitar had lifted was obliterated and it crumbled. Larvitar struggled against the blast but was inevitably thrown back.

Xavier recalled his fallen Pokemon, and Lt. Surge recalled his. “You see how you need to make use of your whole team in order to succeed? Electivire’s ability, Motor Drive, powers up Electivire when it’s hit by electric attacks. That’s why it was so strong, thanks to four electric attacks being aimed at it. If you’re going to survive against Mewtwo, you need to play dirty and use your Pokemon’s strengths to your advantage.”

The line nodded, and Red was looking forward to perfecting his own ‘Team technique.’ He was paired with a familiar face, one that he hadn’t seen in such a long time…

“I was expecting you to come and beat me out of the Champion’s throne!” Blue exclaimed as he and Red were put together.

“Blue!” cried Red. “So, you beat Lance?!”

Blue nodded, smirking arrogantly. “To right I did! I would have thought that he’d have been easy after I softened him up for you, I even put off registering my Pokemon in the Hall of Fame so that I could take you on and prove who was better!”

Red felt immensely jealous that Blue was champion and he was not, but he smiled and continued to train his Pokemon, ordering his Venusaur’s Solar Beam to strike the underbelly of Blue’s Charizard.

“I’ve had no good challengers lately, I’m thinking of going on a vacation to Hoenn with Gramps later on this year,” Blue informed him. “It’d be cool if you tagged along.”

“I might just do that,” Red replied.

The groups battled long into the evening, each taskmaster pushing their team to the limit so that they could maximize the efficiency of their blossoming army.

From the window of Oak’s laboratory, Red’s mother watched her son command his team. “Oh Sam,” she sighed, and sat down next to the Professor. “Those things that you told the group about…he’s suffering, isn’t he?”

Professor Oak nodded. “Yes, he is. But he’s the strongest battler we have, and tempting though it is to pull him out and let him live out this problem here at Pallet Town, you know he won’t be happy.”

She nodded. “I hope you’re right about this Sam,” she said after a while.

“I am. I know it’s hard to avoid him, but if he sees you and recalls the idyllic life that he had here, he will not go to Cinnibar Island and, more importantly, he will not go to Mt. Silver. And it is only there that he will be free.”

Red’s mother let a single tear fall, before going up to her room, hating the fact that her boy was just meters away and that she could not hold him.

The now-trained army dined in Oak’s laboratory, while they discussed battle plans.

“The thing is,” Surge continued, “if Mewtwo has built his base on a volcano, there’s no way we can go for an all out attack because of the circular shape of the battle field. We will be more thinly spread so that we can attack the whole lot, while Mewtwo’s forces will be closer together.”

Oak nodded. “I understand that, but you’re assuming that Mewtwo has an army.”

The only sound then was cutlery clattering on the plates. “You mean Mewtwo’s not got an army like ours?” came Sabrina’s voice.

Oak shook his head. “It’s certainly unlikely. What’s more likely is that Mewtwo will be doing the fighting on his own and while that may sound more ideal, it probably isn’t, for Mewtwo’s power is more vast than we can even imagine.”

“So…” Red began. “We go up the mountain with our army of Pokemon for the sole purpose of defeating…just Mewtwo?”

He looked about at the faces, and he saw that not everyone had considered this.

“Isn’t that a bit obvious?” he asked incredulously. “I mean, we go marching up a mountain against a Pokemon that has a clear advantage over us both physically and geographically, and use the only tactic we know that is to hammer the enemy until we lose?”

“Do you have a better idea?” Surge asked testily.

Red faltered a little. “Well, no, not really, but we really should look for an alternative, seeing as Mewtwo has got to see this coming…”

“Red’s right,” came Clair’s voice. “This is a stupid plan.”

Surge turned angrily toward the Dragon Gym Leader. “Well I don’t see you coming up with any better ideas.”

“That’s because you’ve not had the courtesy to ask me,” came Clair’s swift reply. “I have in my possession an item named ‘The Dragon’s Tooth.’ It is an ancient artifact that has mystical properties, and I believe that it will help us with our problem.”

“You plan on using some antique to help us take out the worst thing that’s ever happened to Kanto?” Surge replied incredulously.

“You becoming Gym Leader was the worst thing that ever happened, Surge, and Kanto managed to get over that mistake,” she replied swiftly. “But yes, I believe that the tooth will help us. If I can get close enough to Mewtwo, I believe that I will be able to persuade it to surrender its will to the tooth.”

Oak frowned. “But how do you intend on doing that? Mewtwo is psychotic, there’s no way you could persuade it to do anything that another person would want it to do.”

Clair nodded. “Yes, but you yourself said it was suffering. What if I could make it believe that the tooth would end its misery, perhaps convince it that if it surrendered its mind to the tooth it would become free of itself and therefore its suffering?”

”Crap,” Surge said. “Mewtwo’s a psychic, there’s no way you’re going to pull that off.”

“And what’s the alternative?” Red finally said. “Taking on an opponent with brute force, despite the fact that we know that is has more force than every Pokemon on this earth? I say we go with Clair’s plan, and then resort to Surge’s plan if it fails.”

Oak shook his head. “We cannot expect Clair to up the mountain entirely alone. This plan, while good, has a glaring problem; Mewtwo will be on the look out for things like this, we can’t allow Clair to go up alone.”

“What if we combine the two ideas?” Scarlet asked, having remained largely quiet for the evening, talking in low voices with Xavier.

“She has a good idea there,” Sabrina noted. “What if the bulk of us form a great army to draw Mewtwo’s attention away? That way, it won’t notice the select few that climb the mountain to get close enough to use the tooth.”

Oak nodded slowly. “I think that is probably the best plan. At dawn, we will set sail and land at Cinnibar. From there, Lt. Surge will lead a team up the mountain while four of you take the tooth to Mewtwo’s base. Clair should definitely go, and I think it would also be wise if Red went. He and Mewtwo have the same problem, perhaps this will help in the convincing of the clone to resign itself to Clair’s proposal.”

“I want to go with them,” Xavier said, and Scarlet joined in too.

“We’ll both go. We can help Red, we’ve got the Pokemon to help them climb the mountain, and also for protection.”

“Then it’s settled,” Oak said. “Now, I think we all need a good amount of rest before the battle tomorrow. We must be filled with energy if we are to save Kanto…

I've been wondering when you guys were going to point out the obvious to me, that this is rather like the normal TDWH style; got to go climb a mountain to stop teh evil baddies with a united force of everyone; well, the thing is, there's no other way I can do it at the moment; in TDWH, Clair made numerous references to the Mewtwo thing being similar to the whole 'in Oak's laboratory' thing, and seeing as this is an explanation sort of sequel, it's going to be a little repetitive anyway. Seeing as everyone has read TDWH, you're bound to know the ending anyway, that Mewtwo gets stuck.

Just wait till the real sequel, that'll be much better. ;)

~Obs.

Last edited by The Obsidian Wolf on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:11 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:
kudos to him (coughSteven'scatchphrase...;) )

Are you teasing me? :D

I don't think using the same thing is repetitive. I thought of it more as being a recurring motif for your story. Maybe that's the same thing, I don't know.

This was a good chapter! I'll be interested to see what happens next.

Quote:
“You becoming Gym Leader was the worst thing that ever happened, Surge, and Kanto managed to get over that mistake,” she replied swiftly.

I laughed at that. I like Surge, even if he is a big meat head.

Just a point-
Quote:
“Good, you’ll do,” he said, and took Xavier by the soldier.

Did you perhaps mean shoulder?

Also, you spelt Cinnabar wrong somewhere, I think. But these are just minor points. Good stuff :D

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:01 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Wouldn't this be a prequel then, and not a sequel?
So yeah, we know what the ending is. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it while it lasts.
...That has just given me an idea. Maybe it's prequels I'm horrible at, not sequels. Oh well, I'll figure that out one day.

- DNA

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Really good chapter Obs...!

BTW will you be explaining what exactly are the qualities of the dragon tooth so that it can trap mewtwo? Or have you already explained and i missed it?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hm, I was rather hoping no-one would pick up on the fact I hadn't explained that part, as I was going to devote a whole mini-fic to it. Now I can't be bothered, and I'll just explain it in one of the chapters. Meh at you, Swords. :P

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:26 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Quote:
I was going to devote a whole mini-fic to it

If you want to do that, just do it... I don't wanna mess up your story; ignore me :P

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:38 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I can only say one thing: WOW. I just read your other two fics and this one, and they are absolutely AMAZING. I made an account just so I could comment on this! I don't know if I've ever read anything so well-written! Keep up the amazing work!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Quote:
If you want to do that, just do it... I don't wanna mess up your story; ignore me :P

Nah, I have far too many mini-prequels to do as it is. I think I'll just get this one out the way and then do the real sequels. They'll be much better. :D

Quote:
I can only say one thing: WOW. I just read your other two fics and this one, and they are absolutely AMAZING. I made an account just so I could comment on this! I don't know if I've ever read anything so well-written! Keep up the amazing work!

Now that IS an acheivement, I'm honoured! Thanks very much, I'm glad you liked it so much. :)

And finally, we actually have an update!!!

Quote:
Somewhere far off, a bird Pokemon cried shrilly, forewarning of dawn. Red watched as the sun spilled over the horizon and watched the clouds stain red as it soaked up the bleeding light. There was a little frost on the ground, and it seemed to Red that this cold light would do little to melt it.

He shivered and pulled his coat tighter about him. Red had not been able to sleep that night and had climbed up the hill to watch the sunrise, as he had done on the day he received Bulbasaur from Oak.

Today, however, was different. There was no eager excitement for the sun to rise so that he could race down to the lab and claim his prize; there was only a colossal fear that when the sun rose, it would be time to go to Cinnabar and fight.

“I just want it all to end,” he breathed, fighting back threatening tears. He had spent so long carrying darkness with him that he could barely remember who he was and what sort of person he had been like before. Memories of playing with his Pokemon in floral fields seemed alien to him, as if they were the memories of another person. When would he be freed from this darkness within him?

Red would have given anything to see his mother right now. He wished with all his heart that she would come running up that hill and would take him home and forbid him to leave Pallet Town and he would lead a normal life with his Pokemon at home.

A familiar rumbling pulled him from his thoughts. He looked north and saw a haze of black, growing in size. Before long, he could make out the individual helicopters that formed a great army, each black vehicle bearing the red ‘R.’

Abandoning his wandering thoughts, Red raced down the hill and began to run the distance to the laboratory. This would be the worst day for Team Rocket to invade, he thought as the rumbling grew louder. Surge’s army had been formed and trained to combat Mewtwo, not Giovanni.

He could see the laboratory and he was drawing closer. A sudden rush of wind and roar of rotary blades passed over his head, and a lone helicopter touched down outside the lab. Red looked wildly into the skies to see the remaining army of choppers hovering menacingly around the laboratory.

“Nidoking, Take Down!” Red threw his Pokemon forward, and Nidoking charged ahead. The door of the helicopter opened, and the familiar orange-suited leader stepped out, flipping open a poke ball as he did.

“Rhydon, use Counter.” His voice remained calm and steady, and he barely watched as his rock Pokemon took the attack before launching Nidoking clear over the helicopter where it landed some feet away. “I have come here to negotiate with Oak,” Giovanni called over to a fast advancing Red.

“With the threat of invasion looming over us?” the young trainer replied, stopping just short of the Rocket leader. The helicopters still buzzed overhead.

Giovanni laughed but did not reply. For a moment, the trainer and the leader looked eye to eye. The front door opened, and Giovanni broke off the gaze.

“Oh,” was all the aging professor said.

“Professor Oak, I come not as the infamous leader of a criminal organisation-“ Giovanni could not suppress a smirk at this point –“but as the Gym Leader of Viridian City, concerned with the well being of Kanto.”

Oak surveyed Giovanni cautiously. “I was under the impression that you had your own form of protection?”

Red saw the smile on Giovanni’s face freeze. “My ‘protection’ is having trouble keeping its form and is currently being repaired. I feel it my duty, as Gym Leader, to protect my city, and would like to offer my services –“ he indicated to the chopper-filled sky – “to aid you with your march against Mewtwo.”

“I would have thought that it was your duty to remove the abomination that you created, actually,” Oak replied. “But I will accept. We will be leaving shortly and will be landing behind the Cinnabar Mansion before we attack Mewtwo’s volcano-base.”

Giovanni nodded curtly before stepping back into the helicopter. As it rose into the sky, Red moved closer to Oak. “Can we trust him, Professor?”

“I do not know,” Oak replied, watching the mass of Rocket’s military strength. “But I’m not going to turn down the whole force of Team Rocket when it is offered so readily to me.”

Before long, the Rocket helicopters were joined by others, containing the army that Surge had trained. Red sat with Xavier and Scarlet in one helicopter, sitting opposite Oak, Clair and Surge.

“Once we have landed,” Clair described, “Surge will lead the forces toward the mountain. Giovanni will take Team Rocket to the other side of the mountain whereby we will attack it from both angles. Amid the chaos and confusion that the ensuing fight will cause, Red, Scarlet, Xavier and myself will push up the mountain. Mewtwo is still only one Pokemon, so it can only defend one side at once. We will climb the side where Mewtwo is not.”

Xavier nodded. “Right, I get that aspect of the plan, but what are we climbing up the mountain for?”

“Mewtwo has created a great metal structure atop the volcano. Using the heat from the crater, he is able to power all manner of machinery from that metal base. What I’m assuming is that when Mewtwo grows tired from the fight, it will rest in its base, whereby we will attack it and force it into the Dragon’s Tooth.” She lifted the artifact that was attached to her necklace and waved it in the air.

“This is going to go horribly wrong,” Surge said, a twisted but triumphant smirk on his face.

“If you do your part correctly,” Oak spoke firmly, “then it will not.”

The helicopter they were in descended slowly toward Cinnabar Island. Surge suddenly swore and grabbed the overhanging radio and spoke sharply into it. “All pilots, this is Lightning Eagle; the landing point has changed, repeat, the landing point has changed. Bring the choppers down near the gym.”

“Why, what’s down there?” asked Clair, leaning over to the window.

“What’s not down there, you mean,” Surge replied grimly. Red gasped as he saw the destruction of Cinnabar. He saw why they were no longer landing behind the Cinnabar Mansion; the whole building had been utterly destroyed and there was nothing but rubble to hide behind.

The pilot controlled the chopper round and it landed a few feet from the Gym, whereby the group emptied out. Other helicopters followed suit and the whole army was soon amassed next to the crumbling wreck of the Gym. The black shadows of team Rocket’s helicopters passed noisily overhead toward the volcano.

“Men!” Surge called. “Women!” he added. “You know the drill! We storm the mountain with all the force we have, and we do not back down against our enemy! The only way to succeed is through force! If we let up even a small amount, Mewtwo will break through and the whole plan will become worthless. We must allow Team Dragon Tooth to reach the top!”

Clair rolled her eyes at her group’s new name.

”Let’s move!”

The group each released their Pokemon, the numbers of creatures and people moving into the hundreds. Red felt that with such numbers, they would be invincible against even Mewtwo.
The army moved forward, picking its way through the rubble of Cinnabar’s buildings. “This is all such a waste…” came Scarlet’s soft voice. “And what’s it all for?”

“Power,” was Red’s reply. “Mewtwo wants power. I imagine it thinks that if it can assume total command over Kanto, it will have enough power to remove the insanity that it’s gripped by?”

Clair joined the three of them. “Don’t try and fathom the motives of a madman. Or Pokemon, in this case.”

Xavier nodded. “Mewtwo is just insane, that’s all there is to it,” he said, grimacing.

Red went quiet.

As they neared the base of the volcano, the army seemed to slow. Lt. Surge had stopped. As the back end of the group caught up, they formed a great crowd of people and Pokemon, looking up at the great metal structure atop the mountain.

“Do you think it knows we’re here?” Scarlet whispered.

“I’m sure it does,” Lt. Surge replied.

No sooner had the words left his mouth, a beam of light lanced down the volcano toward the group, burning the air about it. “Alakazam, Light Screen!”

The psychic Pokemon pushed a barrier toward the attack, deflecting the beam off at an angle. A pink glow stormed down the mountain at immeasurable speeds.

“Here it comes!” roared Lt. Surge, and his team of electric Pokemon fired off a multitude of attacks. Sparks whirled about the vividly coloured orb that encompassed the Pokemon, and it threw the sphere of light toward Surge’s team.

The army dived out of the way but, remembering Surge’s words, began ordering commands so as not to let the enemy have time to attack.

As a torrent of special attacks were reflected and dissipated, Red gasped as the Pokemon paused. It was not Mewtwo, but a smaller, pink Pokemon.

”Mew?” came Oak’s incredulous voice. The shield was brought up once again, cloaking the small Pokemon in a flush hue and it charged towards a group of Rock Pokemon.

“I thought Mew was supposed to be a benevolent creature?!” Clair cried as she ordered her Dragonair to save a fellow Gym Leader’s Onix from being turned to rubble.

Oak followed suit, ordering his Dragonite into battle. “It usually is, but I think I know what has happened; Mewtwo was created by two sets of DNA; Red’s and Mew’s. The atrocities that Mew endured, they are not fuel for a hatred against Mewtwo; instead, they fuel hatred for those who inflicted such pain on Mew. As such, Mew, having recognized the pain and torment that Mewtwo endured, must have sided with its clone.”

Had there been any more to his explanation, Clair would not have heard it, for Mew had unleashed a storm of rose coloured lightning bolts, both beautiful and deadly causing Oak to roll out of the way.

As the attack dissipated, Mew fell to the ground, evidently exhausted. An eerie silence fell over the group, for none wanted to attack the Pokemon in such a weak state.

”Clair, we should make a move up the mountain,” Red whispered as he and the Gym Leader watched the small Pokemon.

She nodded, and beckoned to Xavier and Scarlet. The four of them turned from the battle and began to move quickly up the volcano.

Mew, however, rose into the air. With a burst of white light, a hazy, second image of Mew appeared next to the original, followed by another and then another. The smoky forms solidified, and before long, there was an army of Mew facing off against the collective force of Kanto’s elite trainers. Then each Mew melted, before reshaping into a different Pokemon.

“Transform,” Oak breathed, as the Mew closest to him molded itself into Oak’s Dragonite.

High over the arena, Red watched with horror as the army of cloned Pokemon advanced upon the group he had just left behind.

I think it feels a little bit rushed, and I think that's probably beacuse it is. To be perfectly honest, I'm bored as hell with this fic. One more chapter and it should all be over, hopefully.

I am sorry, however, that it's taken me so long to finish this. I thought it would take me about a month, but it's really not. :P

Regardless, I might have the next and final chapter up by...Thursday? That'd be nice if I could get it done by then.

Oh, and the reason I've written Deoxys out of this fic is because I was only actually going to mention him in this fic, not explicitly have him fighting. The idea was for Giovanni to be something like 'Oh, Mewtwo? Meh, he was just a prototype for something much better."

Deoxys will be the star of the third sequel, so you've got a while to wait before we see him again. ;)

So, hope you enjoyed it. :)

~Obs.

Last edited by The Obsidian Wolf on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:28 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

*glee!* You updated! I'm very happy, because I kept looking to see if you had and hoping you would soon.

To be honest, I didn't think it felt rushed. It felt to me more like it was moving rapidly towards an ending, so the pacing was good. Your inclusion of Mew was a nice touch and I liked how smug Giovanni was to Oak, that was a nice touch and very like him.

May I make some suggestions?

In the sentence '“Here it comes!” roared Lt. Surge, and his team of electric Pokemon fired off a multitude of electric attacks.'-
I think you used the word 'electric' too often in close quarters. Maybe either just say he released his team of Pokémon or you could say they ''fired off a multitude of thunderous attacks." I just kind of think using the same word twice in one sentence is a little repetitive.

Also, maybe you could use some other words for pink in the Mew sequence? Using the same word so much made it seem like they were all things of the same shade and I kind of had a hard time believing its ALL the same pink.
There's lots of words for pink like rose and flush. Sorry, I just kind of think it would sound more convincing if it was varied a little. I hope you don't mind my suggestions.

I did definitely like this chapter and I can't wait to see how it ends. Though, I'm definitely looking forward to your sequel. Didn't you say they're off to Hoenn? My favourite region! I know you'll do it justice!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wicked, I've changed the parts you suggested. You were right, I do try not to use the same word twice in the same sentence, but it was early this morning, so I'm sure you can forgive me. ;)

And I hope I do do it justice, I really am going to try hard on this sequel. I have the whole plot mapped out on paper, but it should be quite fun writing it; else I wouldn't write it otherwise. :)

There's just one chapter left. I might do it tonight, or tomorrow morning. I'll try very hard on it, so it's all dramatic and stuff without being disbeleiving.

Look forward to it or else. :P

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ah, that's so much better!
I know how that is, I write best last thing at night, in the time between putting on pyjamas and getting into bed (and I can make that time last quite a while!) so I tend to make lots of mistakes.

I'm looking forward to it, don't worry :D

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:49 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

ARGH! I thought I'd be able to fit everything into the last chapter, but it would make it well over eight pages long! So, here's the next part of the story, and the NEXT one should be the last one. Hopefully.

Quote:
There had never been a collection of the entirety of Team Rocket’s forces until the day Giovanni led them up Cinnabar Volcano. The Team Rocket leader was seated in a larger helicopter with double the amount of rotary blades, Persian curled up at his feet. He flew low to the ground, thousands of military vehicles, tanks, armoured trucks, helicopters, and fighter planes, all following their Leader.

In the distance, loud explosions could be heard, and Giovanni could not suppress a smile; his enemies had to fight Mewtwo on their own, while he would be comfortable to ride up the mountain to destroy the monolith at the top of the volcano.

“Sir,” crackled a radio, “this is Storc. We’ve just got news from Oak’s division, apparently they’ve engaged in combat, but not with Mewtwo.”

Giovanni tried to keep his voice level as he replied. “Then tell me, what is it they are fighting?”

“Mew, sir.”

Giovanni gripped the control stick tightly. Mew had sided with Mewtwo, and if Mew was dealing with Oak’s forces…

A blinding flash of vivid purple caused Giovanni to swing to the right. Flying as low to the ground as he had been, his wing caught the mountain earth, and his vehicle pivoted, spinning to the ground.

The army of Rockets slowed to a halt, the engines of their machines of war growling menacingly at the threat. Mewtwo was cloaked in a violet aura and it hovered a distance away from the army, head turned to watch Giovanni struggle out of the burning wreckage that had been his helicopter.

Giovanni burned with humiliation as he had to crawl across the floor in front of his entire army. Mewtwo lowered himself to the ground a few meters from the Team Rocket leader.

Your power is diminished without that filth of yours, Mewtwo spat, referring to the creature that had defeated it the day before.

Giovanni managed to laugh, despite his breathlessness. “Diminished?” The leader struggled to his feet, before sweeping his arm out. “You call this army of mine an example of my diminished power?” He laughed incredulously.

I was borne of metal and human intellect, Mewtwo hissed. You think that those same materials, having created such inferior weapons, can defeat me?

“Then let’s put it to these ‘inferior weapons’ to the test then,” Giovanni replied. “Fire!” he roared.

Whistling rockets and countless bullets sliced through the air toward the clone. Mewtwo threw out its arm and the missiles’ path became erratic. A number of rockets flew wildly into the air, while the majority were turned back against the mass of metal that made Giovanni’s army.

The Rocket leader watched as his ground force was torn apart. A jet plane whined through the air, guns blazing, only to be ripped to the ground, its body dashed against the hard stone of the volcano.

“Persian!” cried Giovanni, as the white cat Pokemon’s body arced through the air. A deflected missile had exploded near the helicopter’s wreckage, and the boss Rocket ran over to his Pokemon. The cat picked itself up shakily, eyes burning with rage.

I seem to have angered your Pokemon, came the noiseless words of Mewtwo, a hint of amusement in his telepathy.

“Psych Up,” ordered Giovanni, and Persian leapt gracefully forward, shining the same vivid hue of Mewtwo. A frown appeared on Mewtwo’s face and he begun gathering energy for an attack, but his attention was momentarily diverted by a rogue missile that had been fired from a surviving tank. “Now, Persian! Attack!”

Persian’s fur glittered as psychic energy spun over its body. With a screech that sent even Giovanni’s hairs standing on end, an immensely bright blast was fired with intense speed at Mewtwo. The psychic clone was caught off guard, and its body was hurled backwards, unable to hover, and slammed into the ground. Persian looked up at its master, licking its lips in the hope it would be rewarded for its efforts.

Giovanni stroked his Pokemon’s head as he surveyed the damage. For all its power, his entire army had failed to do any lasting damage to the clone. He looked at the smoking wrecks that had once been tanks, fallen planes and helicopters, and human-size black objects whose identity he did not want to consider.

Foolish mortal.

Giovanni was struck by the attack before he saw it. He gripped Persian’s body tightly as he was thrown back by a blast of energy. The Rocket Leader had not experienced the level of pain when his back hit the ground, and he cried out and clutched his Pokemon harder.

Now, the creator will be unmade by his creation, Mewtwo laughed as he advanced upon the broken body of Giovanni. But before I save myself from your existence, let me impart a gift to you…

Mewtwo leant close and, despite the words echoing in Giovanni’s mind, whispered to the leader; what is it that you fear most?

Giovanni’s mind exploded with light, and he felt his breath catch. He realised what was about to happen just as the last vestige of conciousness left him…

”Oh wow! Look at this!” a young boy cried excitedly as he jumped through the grass of his garden. “I think it’s a Diglett! Come and look!”

Giovanni, his face smoother having not had to endure the test of time, walked over to the boy, and ruffled his shock of red hair. The boy jabbed his finger at the mound of earth, his Sandshrew teddy being jerked this way and that by his excited movements.

“We should leave its home alone,” Giovanni said softly to the boy, before sweeping him up and placing him on his shoulders.

”Woo!” the boy cried, before patting his father’s head, yelling “ride, Rhyhorn, ride!” as Giovanni ran up the length of his garden towards their large house, laughing.

The scene suddenly changed. Giovanni moaned in anguish as the dark sky of night was lit up by his burning home. He ran forward, making for a crumbling back door, but a sudden explosion threw him backwards. A sudden blur darted past Giovanni, and the man looked as a small cream coloured Pokemon darted toward his home. The Pokemon agilely dodged parts of the burning house that fell from its frame, and it vanished into the fire.

Seconds later, the Pokemon emerged, something in its teeth. The white Pokemon, Meowth, dropped a small teddy at Giovanni’s feet, and he stooped to pick it up.

Giovanni clutched the Sandshrew teddy tightly to his chest, shedding bitter tears while Meowth pushed its head against the man’s legs.

Rage and sadness surged through Giovanni’s body, and he let out a primal cry of pure emotion, that somehow formed his son’s name.

“Silver!”

Mewtwo’s sadistic laugh echoed on that desolate landscape of destroyed vehicles long after it had teleported away, leaving Giovanni and his broken mind.

A couple of things: The mention of 'Storc' really isn't relevant as such, it was merely a nod to the manga. (If you've never read the manga, don't worry about it, it's not a part of the plot.)

And what did you make of the whole Silver thing? I'm toying with the idea of bringing him into the third one and making him a central character. Not really sure yet, as it would ruin the plot...I'd have to change it all.

Regardless, there it is. I might even have the next one up quite soon. But don't hold your breath. :P

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:02 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The nod to the manga was a nice touch! And omigosh, Silver? Possibly in Hoenn? Excuse me whilst I fangirl a little.
I wouldn't mind if you didn't include him, but the idea of it is SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME.

This chapter was good, though, I liked how Mewtwo was toying with Giovanni and your descriptions of the desctruction was nice :D

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:51 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Although the Silver fate was nice, I couldn't pick up its meaning. Does that mean that Silver will defeat his father, or Mewtwo will kill Silver, or what?
Eh, for the most part I'm just glad you're back in action. I'll await the last chapter patiently.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DNA wrote:
Although the Silver fate was nice, I couldn't pick up its meaning. Does that mean that Silver will defeat his father, or Mewtwo will kill Silver, or what?

Er, what?

That whole part was a sort of flashback thing. Look:

Quote:
Giovanni’s mind exploded with light, and he felt his breath catch. He realised what was about to happen just as the last vestige of conciousness left him…

and

Quote:
Seconds later, the Pokemon emerged, something in its teeth. The white Pokemon, Meowth, dropped a small teddy at Giovanni’s feet, and he stooped to pick it up.

and

Quote:
Mewtwo’s sadistic laugh echoed on that desolate landscape of destroyed vehicles long after it had teleported away, leaving Giovanni and his broken mind.

The 'last vestige of consiousness' = Giovanni blacking out due to Mewtwo. Then, the reference to Meowth suggests that it was the first time that Giovanni had met the Pokemon and therefore it was his Persian, but in the past. Also, the part that referenced Giovanni's face looking smoother also suggests its a flashback. The 'broken mind' was an attempt to make that part clear.

The mention of Silver isn't integral to any plot (as of yet), it was merely a tool for effectively conveying MEwtwo's nastiness and savage nature; he takes Giovanni's worst fear and makes him relive it.

I thought it was obvious. And blu-suicune noticed it (or if she didn't, then she didn't let on that she'd missed it. Help, input!)

Quote:

Eh, for the most part I'm just glad you're back in action. I'll await the last chapter patiently.

Patience is something that you should all have developed by now, having endured my sporadic updates. ;)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

*nods* I figured out what happened, if it helps :D

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Woo! Last chapter peoples, it's all bloody over! Now I can start writing The Secret She Holds!!

Quote:
Red had not realised how difficult scaling a mountain was. Clair strode on ahead of him, while he puffed and panted along with Scarlet and Xavier, trying to ignore the aching muscles in their legs.

“Do you know,” Red asked between gasps, “if Mt. Silver is taller than Cinnabar Island?”

“It’s much larger, why?” Clair walked on casually, one hand in her pocket, the other toying with the Dragon’s Tooth.

Red groaned. “No reason…”

They continued pushing up the mountain in silence, though Clair was the only one who did so because she was deep in thought. The other three wheezed as they struggled to keep up.

After a time, Xavier’s voice broke monotony of silence. “Clair…what are you actually going to do with the Dragon’s Tooth?”

The Dragon Gym Leader stopped and turned. They were all grateful for the rest. “I’m going to separate Mewtwo’s mind from his body.”

Xavier’s eyebrows shot up. “Where will Mewtwo’s mind go? Will it just cease to exist?”

Clair shook her head, almost sorrowfully. “No. His conciousness will be stored in the Tooth and its body will become just as mindless as any other Pokemon.”

Xavier bit his lip. “How is that different from executing it?” he asked quietly.

“This is…immoral,” came Scarlet’s voice.

“What would be immoral would be allowing it to survive and torment people!” Red suddenly said, his voice louder than intended.

“So you’d just kill it?” retorted Xavier. “You are going to kill Mewtwo to stop it from killing others?! How does that make us better?!”

“We cannot allow Mewtwo’s conciousness to survive. If we do, it’ll be the end for all of Kanto. With your help, the job will be made easier, but we’re going to do it with or without your help.”

Red turned and begun to walk up the hill away from his friends. Clair started to follow.

“No, Red,” came Xavier’s voice, and the sound of a Poke Ball opening. “I won’t let you do this.”

Red turned and opened his Poke Ball, revealing Venusaur. Xavier’s Larvitar was already speeding towards the grass type.

“I didn’t want to have to do this…Ancient Power!” yelled Xavier. The air about Larvitar shimmered as it sped toward Venusaur, and the ground beneath it suddenly heaved. Chunks of the earth were lifted and hurled toward the bulky grass Pokemon.

“There’s no going back now!” Red yelled. “Venusaur, deflect them with Vine Whip!” Venusaur smashed the rubble before they connected with it, showers of rock falling over Clair and Red.

“Both of you, stop it!” cried Clair. “This sort of thing will attract Mewtwo’s attention!”

“Then let him come!” roared Xavier, eyes flashing. “Larvitar, Hyper Beam!”

Red ordered his final attack with speed. “Earthquake, don’t let it fire!”

As energy built up around Larvitar, Venusaur lifted its front legs from the ground before slamming back down with great force. The ground cracked, and Larvitar was thrown off balance. The attack had been far stronger than Red had anticipated and the crack widened.

“It’s going to split!” yelled Clair as Xavier and Scarlet grabbed onto one another for support. With a deafening roar, the whole side of the mountain rumbled downward, great plumes of dirt being thrown into the air.

Clair grabbed hold of Red’s arm, pulling him away, but Red was sure he had seen the white wings of Dragonair fly up from the cascading mountain and away from the volcano.

The two of them didn’t talk for the rest of the journey up the mountain. The burden of guilt weighed heavy on Red as he pushed up the volcano, and he could not remove Xavier’s maddening expression of rage and anger. Why could his friend not understand that Mewtwo was a threat that needed to be removed, at any cost? There was simply no other way, and Red hated the fact that he had used force to show this to his friends.

The metal monolith was closer now, and Red could make out the lip of the crater as crimson plumes arced elegantly around the iron.

“How will we get inside?” Red asked, suddenly aware how tall the structure was.

“We can use your Alakazam,” Clair replied. “Yes,” she added, seeing the frown on Red’s face, “I know I said you couldn’t use him to teleport up the mountain, but that was because Mewtwo would have sensed you. I’m guessing that Mewtwo has already sensed us, and wants us to go inside.”

Red nodded, though the feeling of being cheated out of teleporting directly to the top caused him to mumble as he released Alakazam.

“We need to get inside there,” Red said, pointing. “Can you do that for us?”

Alakazam nodded, before closing its eyes and twiddling its spoons. A sudden breeze whirled about the three of them. There was a flash and they vanished.

The contrast between the mountain and the structure’s interior caused Clair and Red to blink repeatedly to allow their eyes to adjust to the new light.

It was surprisingly bare. They had teleported inside a great hall, though it was nothing but a metal cuboid with a chair at one end, and nothing else. Red had envisioned machinery or perhaps some other futuristic setting and this sparse room had quite shocked him.

Strange. came a voice in Red’s head. You are not one of my three creators, and yet I feel so strongly drawn to you…

“What is it?” asked Clair as Red began looking wildly about the room.

“Voices…in my head,” Red whispered, barely realizing how well he fit the stereotype of a lunatic.

You were there when I ended the life of Blaine, the Scientist, the voice boomed again. And then again when I confronted Fuji and Giovanni.

There was a flash and the clone appeared directly in front of Red. There is something in you that I recognize in myself, but I cannot tell what it is.

“It’s insanity,” came Clair’s voice, and Mewtwo snapped his head round as if it was only now that he had realised that she was even in the room. “Red and you share the same DNA, Mewtwo, and you’ve not just inherited Red’s whole mind, but that which lurks within as well.”

Mewtwo put its face close to Clair’s, eyes narrowed as if scrutinizing the leader. And why should I listen to you? How do you know these things?

Clair smirked, and Red saw the arrogance of her cousin. “That doesn’t matter. All that matters is that I know that you are suffering, Mewtwo.”

Mewtwo looked away quickly, and Red was struck with the incredible thought that Clair had looked into Mewtwo’s mind.

You cannot understand the level of misery that I have to endure, Mewtwo said quietly. To have thoughts of one thing, thoughts of another, darker thoughts of another being entirely, all conspiring to bring about conflicting thoughts, motives and actions…

Red walked towards the Pokemon slowly. He felt pity for Mewtwo, and touched the Pokemon’s shoulder. “I know how it feels, Mewtwo.”

The words had barely left his mouth, and Mewtwo had turned, striking Red with his tail, and then launching him up into the air. Mewtwo held him there while the clone advanced.

You have no IDEA how I feel! You cannot comprehend how you think one thing while another identical thought is warped and twisted! Mewtwo was inches from his face now. You claim to know how I feel? Then let me show you just a portion of my misery.

Red’s eyes misted over, and the surroundings changed. He felt light and realised that he was floating in the sky above the volcano. He looked down on the carnage as Mew clones ripped into Surge’s team. Somehow, from his height, he managed to pick out Xavier and Scarlet flying down the mountain on Dragonair, racing to join the fight.

Watch. came Mewtwo’s voice inside his mind, and the scene begun to slow. With a deafening roar, the crater exploded. One solid shaft of flame burned into the sky and through the clouds, completely obliterating the metal monolith at the top. The shockwave from the blast would have torn through Cinnabar in seconds, but time had slowed down. Red watched as the blast rolled agonizingly slowly toward his friends. He saw Xavier’s expression change, every muscle in his face smoothly translating from one of determination to one of fear. The heat of the explosion begun to tear at his friends, and he watched Dragonair sink to the ground before Xavier and Scarlet arced through the air.

They never landed, for time returned to normal speed and the explosion incinerated his friends.

Red shook violently as this scene played out in his mind. Mewtwo dropped him to the floor of the hall, and watched as Red moaned and cried as he relived that moment over and over in his head.

“Is this what you live for, Mewtwo?” came Clair’s voice. Mewtwo’s head snapped round. “You live for inflicting misery upon people, trying to teach them how you feel?”

“Would you prefer that I wallow in self pity?” came Mewtwo’s bitter reply.

“No, and that’s why I we have come here, to offer you a way out.” Clair’s voice seemed to wake Red up, and he looked at Clair’s outstretched hand. “If you wanted, you could end your suffering right now.”

Mewtwo looked at the item in Clair’s hand. “What is it?” he asked, and Red could almost see the sneer that his voice conveyed. His friends’ death kept flashing through his mind, but Clair’s outstretched hand kept him anchored to reality.

“It’s called the Dragon’s Tooth. It is a mystical item that allows you to separate your mind from your body.”

Red frowned; why was she telling him what it did? He would never accept if he knew what it did…

“I do not wish to surrender my consciousness to some trinket.” Mewtwo spat.

“You wouldn’t be,” Clair said. “You would store that powerful mind of yours within it, free of a destructive body, and would spend the rest of eternity in infinite bliss…” Red could hear an almost musical quality to her voice, and he saw Mewtwo’s eyes widen; he had been tempted. “It would be like going to sleep, a never-ending sleep, but with dreams where you can live as you have always wanted.” Her voice was almost like a lullaby, soothing him into submission.

Mewtwo took a step forward, and Clair pulled the tooth inward a little, and Mewtwo raised his hand, as if to snatch it before she took it away. He looked up at her.

“To live how I want? Free of my own destructive self?”

Clair nodded. “Yes. You would be free, Mewtwo. All that you would leave is your body and this world that you so want to escape.”

Mewtwo thought, and Red could almost sense that vast, immense power that was its brain as it hurtled through every conceivable other option. Finding none other, it nodded.

“I will do it.” Mewtwo reached out his hand and picked up the pendant. For a moment, nothing happened. Mewtwo turned it over in its hand a few times, before a sudden burst of blue light shot out and enveloped Mewtwo. At first, he embraced it, and Red watched as his body glowed the same hue. Mewtwo closed its eyes as if it was relaxing, whilst its body began to fade.

A tear fell down Clair’s face as the Mewtwo became nothing more than a shadow. It must have been less than a second, for Red did not know if he had imagined it or really had seen it, but Mewtwo’s expression suddenly changed, and it reached out, eyes wide. Then there was a small flash and the pendant dropped to the ground.

“It’s over,” Clair said quietly. She laughed a little. “Mewtwo's mind is in the pendant, and its body has teleported away. It's now just a simple Pokemon with the abilities of any other psychic Pokemon. Now we can return to how everything was…”

Red shook his head. “No,” he said. “I can’t.” He looked up at Clair, eyes shining. “Mewtwo showed me Xavier and Scarlet dying, Clair. And if you hadn’t stopped him then, it would have been my fault that they died.”

Clair knelt down beside the young trainer. “Mewtwo didn’t kill them, Red. It never happened.”

Red nodded. “I know that, but if I hadn’t attacked Xavier, they’d be with us now. And if you hadn’t stopped Mewtwo, then they might really have been killed. And if –“

Clair cut him off. “If this whole thing hadn’t have happened, the world would be a better place,” she finished. “We can dwell on what happened and say ‘what if’ for the rest of our lives, but nothing can change –“

She stopped short. Clair left Red’s side and stooped to pick up the Dragon’s Tooth.

“What is it?” Red asked, wiping his eyes.

“If this had never happened…” she looked at the tooth with revered awe. “Red,” she said suddenly, looking up at him. “If none of this had ever happened, Cinnabar would still be intact, yes?”

Red shrugged. “Well, yeah, I suppose so. But you just said-“

”I think I might have been wrong,” Clair said breathlessly. “The Dragon’s Tooth is not a one way item, it has far more powers. I could manipulate that which is inside the tooth and use it as fuel to bend reality to my will…”

Red’s mouth dropped open. “So you’re saying…that you could make it so none of this ever happened at all?”

Clair nodded slowly. “But…the old saying, ‘better the devil you know,’ comes to mind. What if, in changing this timeline, we allow a greater evil to surface in the future?”

Red shook his head. “There can be no greater evil than Mewtwo, I can assure you.”

“Yes, I think you’re right,” Clair said. “Then it’s decided.”

She held the tooth above her head, and squeezed her eyes shut. A multitude of colours erupted from the artefact and Red felt his mind swim.

“After this,” came Clair’s voice, “you will remember nothing. None of this will ever have happened, we’ll never have even met. Doing this, everything will return to how it was, and all of these memories will be locked away.”

Red nodded, holding up his hand to shield the blinding lights that came flooding out of the tooth.

“It was nice to meet you Red,” she said, smiling. “I’m sure we’ll meet again.”

The colours dimmed and darkness descended over the room.

The battle that waged below seemed to stop as a great explosion of colour emanated from the volcano. Lt. Surge watched the spectrum of light fall like a glistening veil over the whole island, expanding still until it stretched to the furthest corners of the sky.

Then there was nothing but darkness.

Scarlet smiled as the two boys next to her argued.

“You’ve got it completely wrong!” Xavier yelled. “Tate and Liza of Mossdeep are much stronger!”

Red shook his head. “No, you’ve never battled them.”

“Neither have you,” Xavier retorted.

“Ah, but I have battled Sabrina, which lets me decide this argument by saying that she is stronger than them.” He smirked, triumphantly.

“There are two of them, and one of Sabrina,” Xavier continued. “They’d destroy her in battle!”

“Well then, they cheat. Making Sabrina stronger, and nobler.”

Scarlet laughed. The arguments of who the better Gym Leader was had been going on ever since they had left Ilex Forest. She remembered the odd feeling she felt, just as she had left, almost like a profound feeling of de ja vu, and she could not find it within herself to determine what it might foretell.

The three of them walked onwards toward Azalea, each of them having no recollection of the horrors that they had faced. Xavier and Red argued like school children, not remembering the decisive argument that would have led to Scarlet and her lover’s death, and Red did not remember the terrifying scene of destruction that a clone of himself had shown him.

Somewhere further still, the leader of Team Rocket sat tapping his fingers on his desk, a white cat Pokemon purring quietly by the fire. “Storc,” he said, picking up his telephone. “I would appreciate it if, when you left things on my desk, you would kindly inform me as to what they are.”

The voice on the phone hesitated. “…what do you mean sir?”

“I have here, in front of me, a folder with the statistics of a Pokemon that I do not actually have. It strikes me as being some kind of joke, for no Pokemon can have stats that vary like this one does.”

“That’s very odd sir, but it wasn’t me that left it there. Does it say who wrote it?”

Giovanni gripped the phone tighter. “It says you left it, Storc, and it also has the word, ‘Deoxys,’ as the header.”

As Giovanni said the word, images of an orange and green blur raced through his mind. “It rings a bell, sir,” came Storc’s voice, “but I don’t entirely recall it…”

“No,” replied Giovanni. “This requires investigation, I want a team of you on this right now. It may have something to do with the recent three-day dissapearance problem.”

Giovanni slammed the phone down before picking up the folder. Where had this Pokemon come from? He flicked through the pages, blueprints and charts of its power leaping out at him. He turned to his cat Pokemon and smiled.

“I think we have found a new project.”

I'm a little concerned with the whole paradox of Mewtwo existing in TDWH at the end, if the timeline has changed...I might 'infer' that rather than Clair going back in time, she might have just edited everyone's memories. So, having added this bit in:

Quote:

“No,” replied Giovanni. “This requires investigation, I want a team of you on this right now. It may have something to do with the recent three-day dissapearance problem.”

It infers that everyone has missed three days of their life, when in fact Clair had just erased it from their memory. Woot, that should work.

And again, don't expect Deoxys to show up in TSSH, because I'm not intending on bringing it in until the sequel after that. However, it'll probably find its way in there anyway. :P

Hm, now, off to start the next one...and I promise to you, this one will be much better. ;)

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:44 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oooh, you finished! Great job! I really liked the sense of calm Clair brought to the party- your Clair is a nice girl, you wrote her well.
The way you tied up the loss of time was good- can't argue with it myself! And well done on finishing!

I kind of can't wait to see the sequel! <3

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hey, I'm glad this mini sequel is now finished, it was fun to read while it lasted, but I suppose next saga will prove superior that anything I've read from you up until now... at least I hope so...

By the by, this wasn't exactly the way I expected this saga to end, I expected... you know... something... different... bigger, like not having the nessesity of going back in time or locking away memories, it was rather a weird scene to me, but I still liked it a lot.

Since you've finished with this one successfully, I can only imagine how will I improve my writting skills without feeling a bit of envy ;). Wow, the writting bug bites hard yet again, I'm off to resume my three stories now! Ty again for it, Obs :D

Thanks Obs for such incredible tale, I wish you luck building next saga's plot thoroughly. And I'll be there to read it as well, you can count on it.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:10 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Another great end to another great story.
I haben't posted recently, but don't worry, I've been keeping up with the story. The way that you put the story together....unexpected part by unexpected part...it came out amazingly.
I will wait expectantly for the next part of this ongoing saga.
Bravo!

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next