It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Devamping 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I need help on devamping, what are the rules about colors. I heard something about a 4 color restriction. It applyed on {ditto} and {porygon}, but the {porygon} had 2 blues, 1 red, and 1 black. I don't get it. :?

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It depends (obviously) what gen you want to do...

In R/B/G/Y There are always 4 colours, however those are only picked from a certain palette (which I don't have...) so only use colours from old sprites, these sprites also have a completely different style though ;)

Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:58 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

Actually, 2-bit sprites use 3 solid colors and 1 transparency color. RBY was able to get around this though, due to having a transparent white background. A 2-bit Nes/GB/GBC sprite would have a palette like this(Before it was assigned colors)

4 simple values in binary. 00 is transparency, due to having a equivalent in hex(What GBNesGBC thinks in) of 0, it would show up as R=0 G=0 B=0; which is why black is used as the transparency in most games (It would just waste data for the final palette to modify that color). Pokemon sprites didn't waste data due to having a white background; they simply just used transparency for white, and since the BG is white, it would appear that the Pokemon sprites had 4 visible colors.

So, Joey90, the R/B/Y sprites do NOT use 4 solid colors, but three.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

OK... So there are 4, but one is always transparent which = white...

And there is also always a black... so you could say that there are really only two 'colours' plus black & white...

anyway, there are only a few (probably 8... or maybe 16) actual colours which can be used... so just look for an old pokémon with similar colours (or if it is 1 - 151 just use the old sprite ;) )

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:50 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

Ghett0 wrote:

OK... So there are 4, but one is always transparent which = white...

And there is also always a black... so you could say that there are really only two 'colours' plus black & white...

anyway, there are only a few (probably 8... or maybe 16) actual colours which can be used... so just look for an old pokémon with similar colours (or if it is 1 - 151 just use the old sprite ;) )

Transparent isn't white. It's see-through. However in the first generation, the background was white, so the transparency looks white. And transparency is black; meaning on the visible portion there is not always black. So, just for the sake of simplicity, it's black(transparency/see-through) and three visible parts.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:27 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Actually I'm using 3rd and 4th generation Pokemon, so is it okay to just choose 4 colors from the sprite and use it? :?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

TechMath wrote:
Actually I'm using 3rd and 4th generation Pokemon, so is it okay to just choose 4 colors from the sprite and use it? :?

No.

To devamp a sprite to look like R/G/B/Y

Colour-wise use black, white, and two colours...

THESE TWO COLOURS CAN ONLY BE CERTAIN ONES...

Just check the old sprites on the picdex and use their colours.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:38 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

Joey90 wrote:
TechMath wrote:

No.

To devamp a sprite to look like R/G/B/Y

Colour-wise use black, white, and two colours...

THESE TWO COLOURS CAN ONLY BE CERTAIN ONES...

Just check the old sprites on the picdex and use their colours.

YOU DON'T HAVE 4 COLORS TO WORK WITH. THERE IS NO WHITE. IT IS JUST TRANSPARENT AND THE BACKGROUND IS WHITE. GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL PLZ.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:46 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

OMG GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL THAT TRANSPARENT + WHITE = WHITE

Because if he is using a prgram which can even do transparency (which isn't certain) then if he used transparency instead of white... most (actually all) the first gen sprites would look completely retarded on any background except white... which includes the Psypokes colour...

TBH, I think that he is more interested in making the sprite look like an old sprite, not actually be identical... he is unlikely to save it as a 2-bit image, and will probably not turn it into whatever strange file format Pokémon used. Therefore, to make a sprite look like it is from the first gen, use white, black and two of those bleached out colours from any other old sprite ;) then use transparency round the edge... OK so that is 5 colours, but computers now can cope with a few billion colours, so it is unlikely that 5 is going to be a problem :| .

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:19 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

:shock: I think I get the picture, don't devamp an undevampable sprite.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It is certainly possible to devamp D/P sprites - Look at the lucario in my sig for example...

The difficulty is with sprites containing many colours... basically colour the brightest shade of every colour (unless it is a very dark colour) white, then colour the darkest shade and the outline in black, then depending on the number of colours, colour everything else in two other colours from R/G/B sprites.

Or if you want, you could cheat and for many coloured sprites you could use more colours ;)

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

What would be the best colors for each of Castform's Forms to use in Adv. Gen. Devamps.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:50 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Castform - There isn't really a grey... so you would have to use the blues (Squirtle) and use more of the lighter shades.
Water - The blues (squirtle) - but use more of the darker shades.
Fire - The orange/reds (charmander).
Ice - One green (Bulbasaur) and one purple (Cloyster).

Those are suggestions, with an example pokémon... as I have said there are only a few colours, so loads of pokémon have the same colours. The trick is varying the shading to get the appropriate light/dark...

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:01 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

What are all the colors avalable in RBY and GSC, make a palette or something?

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]