It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pokemon Academy 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Writer's Corner: Everyone seems to have one of these nowadays, I may as well go with the flow. :P This story was influenced by Vulpine's "Pokemon Academy" role play that I was a part of, earlier this year. I was thinking of making a new role play with it, but I think it's easier if I just make it into a new fanfic. I'll still be working on "The Darkness Within Him," and this won't be written in quite as much as TDWH, but it'll still be a good read, I hope. It should have a few cameo appearances that you might enjoy. ;)

Chapter One wrote:
Simon leant his head on the side of the window, looking down at the golden sea below from the aeroplane. The sun was at its peak and the sea shimmered, broken only when schools of Seaking would burst out, splashing back into the glittering water.

It was Simon Sheldrake’s fourteenth birthday, and instead of boxes of presents in the living room that morning, all he had was a single envelope. He had been disappointed at the lack of sizable gifts, and then even more so when it was a plane ticket, to a place he had dreaded going to since his parents had first told him about it.

“Simon, you don’t want to be like every other Pokemon trainer,” he could hear his parents saying ever since he’d been able to remember, “You’ve got a good head on your shoulders, and we don’t want it wasted. You’ll be going to the Pokemon Academy.”

He sighed and fogged up the aeroplane window a little, obscuring the beautiful sight below. It wasn’t that he was ungrateful for his gift, he knew that Pokemon Academy would have cost his parents a lot of money. But they had been wrong; he did want to be like every other trainer, he wanted to feel that rush of excitement as an ageing professor gave him a choice of three starter Pokemon, and experience the sheer joy of holding his new Pokemon against his body. Pokemon Academy was just figures, learning the basics and perhaps a little more. Simon was not looking forward to it in anyway.

“Are you excited Simon?” his mother asked, brimming with child like ecstasy herself.

Simon smiled falsely and nodded before turning back to the window and watching the plane’s shadow as it slowly got larger.

The aeroplane was being controlled by his father, it was just a small vehicle that he had bought ‘for the company’ that he worked for. It was, in fact, for his own amusement and this trip to the Pokemon Academy was the first time that the plane was being used for a constructive purpose as opposed to the joyrides he had been enduring in the past with his father.

“We’ll be landing in the grounds soon!” he yelled over his shoulder, over the noise of the engine. Simon’s mother patted his father’s arm to acknowledge the comment.

Within minutes, the plane was soaring over the Pokemon Academy. The grounds were expansive, Simon saw, and looked with wonder at his new home for the next year or so. The building itself was large, a great building with two wings coming out from the main body of the building. A driveway led up to the academy from the forest, which encompassed the grounds. All around were lush green areas, dotted by large trees and Simon was sure he had seen either a small lake or rather large swimming pool a little way behind the academy itself.

With a bump, the aeroplane landed on the runway, situated near the edge of the forest. It slowed to a halt, and Simon’s mother opened the door for him. “Now Simon, I know you know that we know you’re not keen on this idea of going to an academy…” she paused, wondering if there were too many ‘knows’ in the sentence for her son to comprehend, before carrying on. “But your father and I paid a lot of money for you to come here, and when you’re finished at the Academy, you might be able to go on that journey you always wanted to go on.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek, and allowed his father to step forward.

“Now son,” he said, taking Simon by the shoulder, somewhat awkwardly in the cramped space of the plane, “I know you’ll do us proud. We’ll see you either in the holidays or when the year ends, if you like it enough.” He laughed loudly, and Simon was close to saying that it was highly unlikely he’d last a week at this wretched place, let alone a whole term.

He nodded and smiled, though it came out as more of a grimace. He descended the steps of the plane, and stood on the asphalt, looking over at the school, suitcase in hand. A breeze buffered him slightly and lent towards it, closing his eyes a little. How was he going to manage…?

A sudden roar behind him caused him to turn and watch as his father gunned the aeroplane back into motion. It raced down the runway, before flying back up into the air, leaving Simon quite alone. His heart felt like it had turned to lead and sunk through his body, weighing heavily as he walked across the grass towards the main building.

Simon hadn’t realised how large the building was. From the air strip it had looked tiny, but as he had travelled over the grounds, he realised just how massive the academy was. The entrance to the building was tall, perhaps six floors high, and the two wings hid more of the building behind them. Simon felt a twinge of excitement. He dismissed it; he had vowed to hate this place.

He entered the building and was greeted by the bustling noise of the school. Kids, his age and older, moved through the hall, clumping in groups and in corners. But for all the people and noise, Simon felt there was something missing…

Pokemon. No-one had any Pokemon. His heart sank; he thought that people would be bringing their own, and that he might be able to borrow a Poke Ball off someone so that he could capture his own from somewhere, but his fears had been confirmed; all data, facts and figures, no Pokemon.

“OH. MY. GOD!!” came a shrill voice behind him. “You are like, the cutest most adorable kid I have ever like seen in my entire life!!” Simon looked round in time to see a mass of blonde hair flying towards him. He took a couple of steps backward as the tall girl, dressed head to toe in bright pink bounded forward. She wore a pink hair band that failed at its job of keeping her wild blonde hair back from erratically flying with her excitable head movements. “Tell me little cutey, what is your like, name?!”
She paused for a moment, mouth slightly open in a crazed smile, waiting for his answer. Simon likened her to a spring, coiled up, and knew that with his answer, all her wound up energy would be released.

“Simon Sheldrake,” he said, unable to keep a smile from his face.

He was right. The girl let out a shrill laugh, untainted and wholly genuine. “That is like, so amazingly sweet, I just love it! My name’s Cynthia!” She extended her hand, and Simon shook it.

“Nice to meet you Cynthia,” he replied, a nervous laugh escaping from him. For all the excitable energy Cynthia possessed, he couldn’t help but like her. It was as if her presence forced those around her to smile and laugh along with her.

“So, I suppose you’re new, right?” she asked, looking around the hall of other teenagers. Simon nodded. “Well then, we’d better like, get you registered then! Come on!”

She grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him through the crowds of people, loud “excuse me, blonde beauty coming through!” ringing over the low voices of the hall.

The reception desk was manned by a thin woman, who was short and had a pinched face. She wore thick rimmed spectacles, and looked up with such sharpness, that Simon found himself thinking of the insect like movements of an Ariados. “Yes?” she snapped, clearly not enjoying the job that she did.

“This cute little guy here is like, new!” Cynthia announced to the woman, the crazed smile still on her face.

The woman, ‘Mrs. Ratchent,’ Simon read on the desk, took out a large book and, without looking up, ordered, “Name?”

“His name is like, Simon Sheldrake!” Cynthia interrupted. Mrs. Ratchent slowly looked up.

”I trust the boy can talk for himself?” she snapped.

Simon nodded. “Uh, yes, sorry, erm, my name’s Simon Sheldrake.”

The woman looked down the long list before ticking a box next to his name. “You’re done. The Year Opening will begin in ten minutes in the Grand Hall.” She went back to her previous task, and said no more, making it clear she wanted nothing more to do with the two of them.

”That’s you like, registered ‘Si-mon!’” Cynthia exclaimed putting great stress on each syllable of his name, before giggling excitedly.

”Erm, Cynthia, what’s the ‘Year Opening?’” Simon asked.

Cynthia looked at her new friend, still grinning. “That’s like, where the headmistress like, welcomes the new year, and like, welcomes all the older students back and like, gives all the new comers their Pokemon!”

Simon felt that unmistakable twinge again, the excitement welling up inside him. “Pokemon?” he asked, wondering if he had heard right.

“That’s like, what I said! This is my first year too, so I’ll like, be getting a Pokemon! I like, so hope I get a Clefairy!!” She began bounding off again, presumably to the Grand Hall.

Simon followed, his thoughts a whirlwind. A Pokemon?! He was actually going to get a Pokemon! Perhaps Pokemon Academy might not be so bad after all…

Excuse the lack of action, but I didn't want to carry on and have a chapter even larger than this one. :P I still haven't decided on the Pokemon that Simon will have, but I have an idea. Two more main characters to be introduced, along with other minor ones next chapter. This isn't as good as The Darkness Within Him, in my opinion, but this is supposed to be quite light, whereas TDWH is rather...erm, dark? :P Perhaps I'm better at writing as a depressive than I am a blonde school girl, whose cameo appearance I'm sure you'll all recognise and find rather shocking. :P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

*Laughs* Aorry TOW, but it came out kinda AOM thats not horribly pathetic. But, I want it to continue.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Uh, auf englisch bitte? I don't know what AOM means, and if it stands for 'average,' then I have to agree with you. It gets better, I just need to finish this next chapter and things will start to get...exciting. Hopefully.
:P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i like your story alot!!!!!!!!!!! keep writing more and more chappies cuz it rocks!!!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:44 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

I use these three "Of Masters" rating's on seasoned writers:

AOM Average of Masters

MOM Mediocore of Masters

GOM Greatness of Masters

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:10 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I seem to like this story! I would say 8.5/10 for this chapter. Try to put in more excitement!

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]