It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

Forum rules

It's not called THE BIG THREAD THAT ANSWERS ALL YOUR QUESTIONS for nothing. Use it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 observations 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Please ignore me, I'm a moron. Original post struck out because I don't like to destroy things, but don't read it. It's just me being a moron.
I couldn't find a general forum discussion area, so I've posted this here.

This forum is pretty dead. You guys have a lot more members than when I left, but there's hardly anyone posting. Just one active member on ee.forumify.com makes more posts daily then all the users on this forum. Why is that? fail.forumify.com is MUCH smaller than this. Tiny in comparison, but we post more than this forum as well. I'm just wondering what makes the difference? I would love to see this forum as active as one of the ones I'm in control of (because an active forum gets you guys more money from the ads, amirite?), but how do you make that happen?

Yep. Today on other forums I looked through 75 pages of topics. This forum can't even compare. You need to get that massive amount of guests to register.

Last edited by Pokemaniac1237 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 am
Report this post
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

General Discussion

While this forum does have a lot of members actually signed up, quite a few of those just sign up and never bother posting. If I had to take a stab at how many actually active members we have, I'd say it's probably under 200. To be honest, I actually feel like that's really high, too. Even when this site had ads, I never clicked them, by the way.

As far as the "deadness" of our forums, I do agree that Psypoke doesn't seem to have a ton of activity. But I don't think that the solution to this is to just attract a crap-ton of members. Rather, I would prefer to have, say, ten people who make posts that are thought-provoking or intuitive in some way, rather than 100 people who just post whatever comes to mind. In other words, I would prefer quality over quantity.

For the whole posting more often thing, I often see this little scenario crop up. A user comes here, looking for help, and makes a topic asking for it. When they don't receive it within 10-15 minutes, they make a post in the same thread saying something to the tune of, "Why aren't you guys helping me? I just need a little help." Eventually, a Mod or Admin comes along and explains a key aspect of this site: it's a forum, not a chatroom. With our number of active members, it's rather unrealistic to expect a new post in every forum every few minutes or so. Even if we had a ton of new posts every minute of every day of every week, I would probably get turned off by that, because I wouldn't want to sit here and wade through a ton of posts every day just to find a couple worth replying to.

I don't speak for the Mods or the Admins, or even for other users. These are my opinions. One of in which includes the idea that comparing two forums which have (probably, I haven't checked whatever "yours" is) different purposes can't be easily compared. This site is about Pokemon; that just means that we only appeal to a certain demographic of people who are, (duh) interested in Pokemon and of an age to want to discuss it online. Maybe that means we won't have as many users; but there are some really cool people here, regardless. So, rather than just sitting here thinking, "I'd rather go to other forums because they post more often," I'd reccomend looking through posts to find those that are worth reading. I know that I often look through older posts in forums here because they tend to be more interesting.

Those are my observations on this site.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am
Report this post
Those are good observations. I agree, it's not fun wading through a ton of posts but I don't think it's fun when posts per hour becomes posts per day (less than 1 post every hour)

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 pm
Report this post
The Geek
The Geek

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Just one active member on ee.forumify.com makes more posts daily then all the users on this forum.

You say that like it's a good thing.

I still don't understand where it is some people come up with this idea that forums are supposed to be chat rooms with 3000 posts per day, but it's a fine example of not understanding the purpose of a piece of software.

As for the volume of inactive members, blame all the 12-year-olds that sign up without reading the "Anyone under 13 years of age needs signed parental consent to post here" warning, and then have to abandon their account unactivated.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I just prefer it more like a chatroom, because that's my personality. I like 1000 things going on at once, and watching them all.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 pm
Report this post
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

We already have a chatroom. I suggest you use that, and let the forum be a forum.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm
Report this post
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm just not used to it yet >.< I'm not trying to turn the forum into a chat room but coming from a forum where there's a post every 2 minutes this forum seemed dead by comparison.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm
Report this post
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'd have to agree with Rex and Jigglypuff, quality over quantity every time. In fact, the very high quality of the discussions (even the silly ones) is what prompted me to become a member here. I've visited other forums (including one or two other Pokémon-related ones) where there are many repetitive posts and numerous "discussions" devolve into flame wars. For the most part flame wars are not given a chance to get started on Psypoke ... and I very much appreciate that. I come here to have discussions with people who also like Pokémon, I can learn things, get help with my games and have some fun and even meaningful discussions. If the forums were being flooded with hundreds of new threads a day, the good things would get lost and the forums would lose their purpose.

In short, a huge number of posts does not, to me, indicate a good forum. Rather the quality of the posts and the quality of the members is what is important to me. It is what makes this forum a good place to hang out.

These are my own opinions of course. And I can certainly understand that many other folks might prefer a busier, more generalized forum. And that's okay. It just isn't for me really. The only other forum I have used with any other regularity is also very specific, topic-wise. That is about Tarot cards and Tarot reading - though, like Psypoke, it too has other topics. Also, like Psypoke, it's members remain friendly even when disagreeing.

So, slow down, take a breath and relax a bit with us. ;)

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm
Report this post
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have to agree again, my opinion is a slow moving forum is better. The reason why I am 10 times more active here than on other similar sites is because, as ppl have sted before me, how good the quality of discussion is here. I tried to use the chatroom but I found it way too fast for me, so I'm really happy in these forums :)

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:01 pm
Report this post
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You know it's a dead forum when one of the members is a skeleton

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Skeleton wrote:
You know it's a dead forum when one of the members is a skeleton

Man, this forum will never be un-lively if this guy stays! You're hilarious Skeleton! Anyway, I agree with basically every other person here. Forums aren't supposed to be as fast moving as a chatroom. I personally like them the way they are. Slow and steady wins the race, you know what I'm sayin'?

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:41 pm
Report this post
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

this is the only forum I am on and some of the time I want it to go faster but if it meant more members and more annoying post that are confusing ( :evil: like maybe spend more time posting and less time um I don't know confusing??? :evil: ) and have nothing to do with the subject ( :| like were did that come from :| ) so just to let you guys out there know that is what I do and would not like when it comes to forums. :mrgreen: :D :geek:

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 pm
Report this post
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]