It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Misheard lyrics as a kid 
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Let's face it, half the time it can be very hard to figure out what's actually being said in a song (just look at the popularity of lyrics sites). This effect seems to be even worse on children, with less experience with the language. As a result, we (well, at least I!) always would always sing terribly wrong lyrics to songs when I was young.

Here are some examples:
-- AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" - When the title is sung, I thought they said "Yeah, she'll be all right now"
-- Queen's "Killer Queen" - Used to butcher this one...rather than "She's a killer queen / gunpowder, gelatine / dynamite with a laser beam" I'd say "Squeezed in the Netherlands / baptised in the Netherlands"
-- Styx's "Mr. Roboto" - I wasn't too familiar with Japanese, so rather than "Doumo arigatou Mr. Roboto, doumo, doumo" I thought it was "No more egato Mr. Roboto! No more! No more!"

These were acquired probably from birth-6 or so, but obviously I couldn't pin it down. In any case, those are the only ones I remember for the time being, but I'd like to hear some of everybody else's.

Last edited by Serpentsounds on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The saftey dance-> "Everyone look at your hands". I still think there saying "Everyone look down at your pants".

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In the Rush song Freewill, I always thought it said "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

But I read the lyric sheet and found out that it said "If you still choose not to decide, you cannot have made a choice." What a blunder.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

In one Red Hot Chili Peppers there was a line that was Wake up Venus and I thought Venus was something completely different which I can't say.

Also IN Dumb BY Nirvana They said I think I'm dumb. And i thought it was African Dough

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

On many occasions I've sung the wrong lyrics to a song as my sisters had kindly (or not so kindly) pointed or as I had found out after checking out a lyrics website. Usually they were silly mistakes for parts of songs that were just difficult to understand. For example, I would sing "It's a green light" as opposed to "It's a free ride" in Alanis Morisette's Ironic.

On a slightly related note, I was never able to sing along with MMMBop until I had looked up the exact lyrics (if you would call them that) for the chorus.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

There is one classic rock song that say do the funky lady , while for some reason it still sounds like like do the @#$%in lady, yeah I have a very messed up mind

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Shuckle-rock$ wrote:
In the Rush song Freewill, I always thought it said "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

But I read the lyric sheet and found out that it said "If you still choose not to decide, you cannot have made a choice." What a blunder.

Mmmm are you sure you were wrong? I thought that was what he said anyway...

missingoinc wrote:
There is one classic rock song that say do the funky lady , while for some reason it still sounds like like do the @#$%in lady, yeah I have a very messed up mind

Might you be thinking of Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" ? :P

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

In the Def Leppard song Pur Some Sougar on Me I used to think that part of the chorus went like this "Pour some sugar on me, my sweet hombre." Whilst according to the lyrics it is "pour some sugar on me, ooh in the name of love." I don't even know how I got that one that wrong.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Serpentsounds wrote:
Shuckle-rock$ wrote:

Mmmm are you sure you were wrong? I thought that was what he said anyway...

I thought that the lyric booklet in my CD said that, but now that I listen to it again, it does sound like "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." The lyric sheet was wrong! :o

At least it's not as wrong as the sheet for Caress of Steel (another Rush album)...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dirty Deeds by AC/DC
It took me forever to figure out that they said "DONE DIRT CHEAP" in the chorus. I could make no words out of that, just "UH ER EE"

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

In spite of near necromancing, I do have something to add to this.
When I was 5 or 6, I still remember one song that I totally screwed up. It was a pop song and this was around the time of 9/11, like 2001 or early 2002.
The lyrics were "Drive a funky car", but I thought it said "Drive a F****** car".
Waayyy off.
And then theres that "I'm Blue" song, where I first listened to it on Kidz Bop (What? I was like 6. Come on! Dont be judging.) and me and my best friend got into an argument with me taking out the cd case to prove him wrong. I was right. It was listed as "B...". Well, I cant remember it that well, but it was scat. To this day I question whether it was scat indeed or if my friend was right and it said "If I was green, I would die." Lolwut?
Again, we were 6.
And yes, that justifies the fact that we were waayyy off.

Goodbye
"

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

*Sigh* im not sure the song but its "Then he kissed me" I thought it was "Then he kicked me".

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]