It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Who have you seen LIVE? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Just thought i'd ask this question and make it into a topic.

I've only seen Muse live, 2 days ago. Wembley Arena. (London)
Best night of my life. Such an electric performance. I dont think any other band could have done better. I want to go again and again.

Who have you seen live?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:14 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1. Velvet Revolver was my first concert, and Chevelle was the opening act. The lead singer said something like "Are there any Chevelle fans out there?" and about three people cheered, which made me feel really bad for them. :( I'm sure I would have liked them better if I had known any of their stuff, but overall they didn't do much for me personally, and their songs didn't really resonate very well.

Velvet Revolver played most of their Contraband album. As a nod to their collective past, they included two Guns N' Roses songs and one Stone Temple Pilots song in their set. They also played a great version of Pink Floyd's song "Wish You Were Here," which was a nice surprise.

The band was on fire throughout the night, which made up for the only problem with the show- the fact that they were about 20-30 minutes late. (not counting the time it took to set up the stage) Had they played longer, they would have included more from Contraband and another Stone Temple Pilots song in their setlist.

2. I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen in a small club with a few of my friends who were fans of his (they invited me at the last minute). I wasn't familiar with many of his songs at all, and literally over half of his show was instrumental. He's certainly an impressive guitarist, but (at least for me) he got really old really quickly. He's an incredibly fast guitarist, but he never seems to go anywhere musically. I enjoyed the songs with vocals more than the instrumentals, but lyrically they were just stereotypical medieval metal.

I'm still glad I went, though. I felt that the opening act, Orange Sky, upstaged him. They were a really unique and inspired blend of reggae and metal. They were kind of weird to us at first, but they captured my interest and I actually went out and bought their album- I'd love to hear more from them in the future.

I've seen Aerosmith twice. I saw them once on the Rockin' The Joint tour and once on their current tour with Mötley Crüe (my most recent concert), the Route Of All Evil tour.

3. The first time I saw them, Lenny Kravitz was the opening act. While I'm not really a big fan of him, I think he's probably the best opening act I've ever seen. He played all of his best-known songs.

Aerosmith opened their show with a cover of The Beatles' "Helter Skelter," and focused mostly on their own 70's material. We had a Get Your Wings-heavy set, with "Same Old Song And Dance," "S.O.S (Too Bad)," "Seasons Of Wither," and "Train Kept A Rollin'" all included. They didn't include a lot of material from the 80's onward, with only "Livin' On The Edge," "Cryin'," "What It Takes," and the blues song "Baby, Please Don't Go" making appearances. Steven Tyler left the stage at one point for Joe Perry to sing one of his songs, "Shakin' My Cage."

The encore of "Back In The Saddle" and "Draw The Line" was a great end to a great show.

4. The second time I saw Aerosmith, Mötley Crüe opened. Technically, they "co-headlined," which means that Mötley Crüe got extra time for an opening act and Aerosmith sacrificed some time. This unfortunately limited the length of Aerosmith's set to about an hour. Mötley Crüe's stage setup was a big part of their show- every song seemed to have something to go along with it. Their tricks tended to get gimmicky and distracting, but it made them more fun than they would have been with their music alone. They had pyrotechnics, fireworks, a lot of smoke, and even a motorcycle at one point.

The strongest song of the night in my opinion was their opener, "Dr. Feelgood." The first few songs of their set were great, as a matter of fact, and at that point they were a lot better than I thought they'd be. The quality of their show kind of faded toward the middle, when they threw a bunch of songs I'd never heard of into the mix and didn't really perform them very well. Their encore of "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Kickstart My Heart," however, was great and left me with a better impression fo them than I had started with.

Aerosmith opened with "Toys In The Attic," and, similarly to the first time, focused mostly on their older material. Songs they played this time that I didn't hear last time included "Eat The Rich," "Lord Of The Thighs," and their new song "Devil's Got A New Disguise."

Aerosmith didn't have as many special effects as Mötley Crüe did, but two things stood out. "Seasons Of Wither," which opened with a snippet of the song "Hangman Jury," took place on the B-stage while fake snow fell.

"Dream On" was another highlight of the show. In addition to it being the best performance of the song I've ever seen or heard (and I've heard a lot of versions), there was a unique special effect. Toward the end of the song when Steven Tyler sang the "dream on... dream on..." part that leads to him screaming, he spread his arms out. A fire animation appeared over the onscreen Tyler in the exact position he was standing, and it got brighter and more intense as he sang/screamed. Eventually it got to the point where you could no longer see him on the screen anymore and the flames were at their brightest. As the song neared its end, the camera feed was replaced with a view of the sun in space. A cool pyrotechnic effect happened just as the screen faded to bright white, the song ended, and the onscreen camera feed of Steven Tyler reappeared and the animated fire slowly died down.

5. I was invited by Red Baby Dragon to go see Lynyrd Skynyrd at the last minute. They were a LOT better than I thought they'd be- an awesome performance. They had two opening acts- Shooter Jennings and 3 Doors Down.

Shooter Jennings had about a 30-minute set. He and his band were kind of average, but they were better than I thought they'd be. They had kind of a country sound to them, but were really heavy. Surprisingly, there were a good number of Shooter fans in the audience. Overall, he was a solid opening act.

3 Doors Down had about an hour-long set. They played a lot of their hits, like Kryptonite, Away From The Sun, Here Without You, and If I Could Be Like That (or whatever that song's called...). They had a lot of fans in the audience- not as many as Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I'd say about 3/4 of the audience seemed to like them a lot. One of the coolest things about them, I think, was their stage setup. They had these big steps that led up to a platform that had the drummer/drumset, and the other band members would occasionally walk up the steps- sometimes they'd go all the way up to the drummer, and other times they'd only go about halfway up. Between the steps, there were these really bright lights that changed color to fit the song, etc. 3 Doors Down also had an LED screen behind them that showed images to fit the theme of whatever song they were playing. ("Kryptonite," for example, had a Superman logo with a "3" in place of an "S", then it would fade to little green pieces of kryptonite flowing through space, etc.) I was surprised at how many of their songs I recognized- They aren't really my cup of tea, but they were a lot better than I thought they'd be. I won't go out and buy their albums, but they weren't bad at all.

I was never really a huge fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I knew several of their songs. I was really surprised when I recognized almost every song they played. They didn't really play a LOT of songs in their setlist, but they drew them all out so they were really long. They have seven people in the band- the singer, the piano player (who was awesome), the drummer, the bassist, and THREE guitarists. They played all of their best-known songs, like "Gimme Back My Bullets", "What's Your Name (Little Girl)", "Gimme Three Steps", etc. They closed their show with the famous "Sweet Home Alabama", but with a surprise- for that song, they brought back 3 Doors Down AND Shooter Jennings! (3 Doors Down's whole band came, but only Shooter himself came to represent his band) Lynyrd Skynyrd's singer sang the first verse, 3 Doors Down's singer sang the second verse, and Shooter sang the third verse. That song was the highlight of the show in my opinion- it was definitely my favorite part. They only had one song in their encore, but it was a long one- "Free Bird." (which is basically THE redneck anthem) I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard them start it up, and didn't feel like sitting through it, but it was WELL worth it. They performed it much better than I thought they would- it had a lot of solos. So many, in fact, it was difficult to tell which of the guitarists was supposed to be the lead guitarist. They kind of alternated. All in all, it was an excellent show and I'm really glad I went.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The only two I've been to were two of the ones BBD just described (the first Aerosmith one and Lynyrd Skynyrd). He did a pretty good job, so I really don't neeed to say anything about them. One thing that was interesting about the Lynyrd Skynyrd show was that they didn't play Call Me The Breeze, which was dissapointing and surprising.

Of the bands/artists that aren't dead or broken up, the only concerts I look forward to a lot at some point are Rush and hopefully Van Halen.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I went to a free concert of a local Rap Metal band, Venaculas, in September of 2004.

I also went to a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show last October. Those dudes really know how to wield a bass guitar, let me tell you. And the pyrotechnics were so good that I could feel the heat of the flames on my face, and I was way in the back in the very top row, right by the exit of the place. I wonder how the band kept from getting flash burns?

Other than that, I've had to rely on CD's for my music fix. I need to get out more...

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Afilio, a SUCKY SUCK SUCK local band.
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. AWESOME!
Kutless. AWESOME AGAIN!
Barlow Girl. They're alright.
By the Tree. Mleh.
The Afters. Whoo!
Lisa Matson. An aquatience of mine who played at some local gig.

And a few other small names. Well, Kutless and Joan Jett are big names, at least.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

September 2004 - Jersey, The Miniatures, Sum 41.
Jersey were supposed to be the only opening band but Sum didn't show up on the original night, and Jersey couldn't play the day they rescheduled it to (the next night) so the Miniatures played. I hadn't heard Jersey before but I was very impressed. Miniatures were terrible but Sum was good.

June 2006 - The Hostage Life, No Use for a Name.
This was at a bar. My first punk show! Xs on my hands didn't come of for about a week. Permanent marker. I didn't like The Hostage Life, but since I was (and still am) a HUUUUUUUGE fan of No Use for a Name, it was one of the best times I'd had in a very long time.

November 2006 - Billy Talent, Circa Survive, Thursday, Rise Against.
The size of the show was between the first two. It was at a bar so I got Xs again. Best concert so far. Billy Talent were really good, Ben wasn't wearing a shirt. Circa sucked. Thursday were really good and Rise Against was the best thing that ever happened to me, ever.

YAY MUSIC. <3

Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:46 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I can't spell there full name cause it gets cencored.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I've only been to 2 REAL concerts. I saw Billy Joel (Meh, he looked really bad) and Roger Waters. Roger was amazing, the encore of Comfortably Numb was amazing. He was touring Dark Side of the Moon.

-o_O

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

2. Guns N' Roses
3. Deep Purple
4. Alice Cooper
5. Twisted Sister
6. The Stranglers
7. The Damned
8. Buzzcocks
9. The Undertones
10. Stiff Little Fingers
11. Bullet For My Valentine
12. Sebastian Bach
13. Lostprophets
14. The Charlatans

They are the big names that I can remember.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I haven't seen anyone live, unless you would count seeing it one TV...I saw the concert where Green Day and U2 played The Saints Are Coming. it was great! I wish I could get The Saints Are Coming on my cell phone!

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Kiss
Poison (Twice)
Faster Pussycat
Cinderella
Bang Tango

And a whole lot of local bands like:
Nine Knives
Savvy
etc.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:38 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: Looks like I'm gonna crash land on Planet Earth! Uh-oh! 99999999999 Psybucks
You mean Mooxy...
Ah, that was really goos. Planet hell! I love it!

=DImageImage

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: Looks like I'm gonna crash land on Planet Earth! Uh-oh! 99999999999 Psybucks
Ah, that was really goos.

LOL! I WROTE GOOS! Ahahahahahaha! Sorry about this, it just made me laugh sooo much! Blimey!

=DImageImage

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The Zutons
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
LostProphets
HelloGoodBye
The Subways
The Fratellis

- and The Clash ;]

Double post cleaned up. -FW

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:43 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

the only one that i have seen was busted (i hate them now there rubbish)
it was like 4 years ago

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Im going to see Guns N' Roses on the 30th, I literally cant wait :D

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I met billie piper once, i walked right up to her and i have a photo to prove it.

But it was when i was young, though.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:22 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I haven't seen anyone live. Oh wait, if you count Jessica Simpson...I saw her live 2 years ago...she wasn't that bad back then...now I think she's horrible.

Well, let's just say I'm not really into her anymore...

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Actually yesterday I went to the "Houston Livestock Rodeo" and Beyonce was performing, that was pretty cool, too bad I didn't get picked to go up to the stage with her.....Still it was a good concert and me and my friends had a great time.

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Get Up Kids, Weezer, Linkin Park, Suicide Machines, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Metallica, Dashboard Confessional, Limp Bizkit, some others from the Warped Tour

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:16 am
Graphic Genius

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:21 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Alexisonfire x1 (decent; didn't play Get Fighted)
The Blood Brothers x1 (great)
Coheed and Cambria x2 (amazing)
Dredg x1 (good)
Eighteen Visions x1 (decent)
Green Day & Jimmy Eat World (took my brother to this show; sucked.)
Nine Inch Nails x1 (amazing)
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus x1 (decent)
Scary Kids Scaring Kids x1 (good)
Saosin x1 (amazing)

Think that's it... seeing The Fall of Troy twice in May. They're my favorite band... it's gonna be sick.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:33 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Amy Grant (barely remember it, I was only six)
Pillar (good)
Relient K (I was actually asleep for this one)
The Supertones x2 (again, asleep for the first one, and injured during the second :P)
Def Leppard x3 (the third time was the best, brand new venue)
Journey (Neal Schon is one of those "Why play 20 notes when 2000 will suffice?" guitarists)
Bryan Adams (great voice on stage, even after all these years)
Paul McCartney (a 38-song setlist and the man did not even take a sip of water. Stunning. There's really nothing like seeing the man who has shaped music more than anyone else performing HIS songs for the world)
Matchbox Twenty (spectacular)
Rob Thomas (awesome, lots of jamming and a few cool covers)
John Mayer (FANTASTIC! But I'd die to see the Trio)
He Is Legend (Great. Would have been excellent if they would have played more from the "I Am Hollywood" album and less from "Suck Out the Poison")
Skillet (got kicked out, I was having so much fun :P)
Kutless (they kind of suck, but they put on a very enthusiastic show)

I think that about sums it up . . . I'm seeing Switchfoot this week and Skillet again in a month. And I would kill to see Muse or Coheed and Cambria . . .

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next