Heck yes! SEPHIROTH! <3333! 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Yes. Its my FAVORITE FF ever. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
No. This game is overrated. 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Just simply...no. 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

Is FFVII truly the best FF? 
Lite Four
Lite Four

Okay, first of all, don't make any "FFIX" or "FFVI" threads or anything like that. They will be deleted.

Also, everyone has their opinions. Don't flame other people in this thread, although feel free to try to prove them wrong.

The question here is: Is FFVII really the best game ever made? Best Final Fantasy ever made? I've been to countless FF forums, and everyone votes "yes" on this matter. I have met hundreds of fanboys online, and I know a few in real life too. Lets break it down...

Gameplay: Alright, this is where everyone says "ZOMG BEST GAME EVA." ...Was it really THAT fun holding down the X button the entire game? Would you rather walk? WTF. It took me forever, probably the whole game, to get used to the "Hold X to run, and its the cancel button, although in most games its not. :)" Besides that...there is also no analog. Yes, I know. Before you all jump on my back, YES YOU CAN USE A STUPID CHEAP MADCATZ CONTROLLER. I know. I don't use them though. Other than that, and besides the fact that the world map doesn't show locations, the gameplay is decent. I'd give it a 5/10, because the reasons above are enough to make me want to flush this game down the toilet.

Characters: I'm not even going to mention Sephiroth; he gets his own category. Anyway, the characters in this game were decent. FFVII used the usually "3 girls the rest are boys" rule though. Not much to say here, except, they were decent. 8/10.

Story: Yes, FFVII had a pretty good story, although it still confuses me, and has many plot holes like FFVIII. The whole SOLIDER thing seemed really retarded, and it had military bs like FFVIII. Oh yeah, and the whole Aeris dying thing was genious. I love watching people whining over the internet, because Aeris died. If only they didn't show her face at the end... 7/10 for an original, but lacking story.

Soundtrack Alright, THIS has got to be FFVII's best point. It has a GREAT soundtrack, and OWA is a good song, because its in Latin and people can't sing it ^^;. Yeah, it had a good battle and boss song, unlike the other FFs that have one good song, but then the other sucks. 10/10 for a great soundtrack.

Battle Setup: Again, its like FFVIII, only easier. You can make your characters UNTOUCHABLE. You can overlevel, and own every boss including Sephiroth, Ruby and Emerald Weapons. Its not even that hard either, thanks to some of the materia combinations out there. (Final Attack + Phoenix.) I got used to materia right when it was introduced. It was too easy. They had alot of close range fighters (Cloud, Tifa, Aeris, Nanaki, Cid, Cait Sith, and sometimes Yuffie) but not enough long range characters (Barret, Vincent, sometimes Yuffie.) I'll say...7/10, because I didn't have to spend 10 hours collecting Materia, unlike FFVIII.

Sephiroth and Sidequests: Alright...too lazy to write anymore about this game, but I have to say this. SEPHIROTH IS SOOO OVERRATED BECAUSE HE HAS A STUPID SWORD. </annoyance> What makes him so different from X-Death, Zeromus, Garland, Kefka, Ultimecia, Seymour, and Kuja? He wants world domination, and ends up failing like the rest. (Kefka came really close to domination though...) He has silver hair you say? So does Kuja. ZOMG SWORD!? Psh, Ultimecia had the most powerful summon in the world. Big deal. Seph gets 7/10 for being one of the most annoying villians ever. (X-Death wins the pie though, he was much more annoying.) Sidequests, in this game, were a piece of cake. Ruby and Emerald weren't even that hard; I beat them before my game made it to 99 hours, 59 minutes! The snowboarding game, however, was awesome 8) Gold Saucer made FFVII worth playing past 99 hours for. 9/10 for Gold Saucer! (the -1 was for Emerald and Ruby...)

All and all, this game gets a 7.3/10 from me. This is a C, 70%, AVERAGE game. Nothing, in my opinion, makes it any different that the rest.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I didn't vote because I say maybe. Ever since FFX came out FF7 was moved to second in my opinon. Yes FF7 does have a god story and good side quest but if you think about it FFX is like a better version.From any perspective Semoir is almost like Sepiroth except more difficult and more incounters. When it come to side quests FFX is actually beating it. You have to do more to up grade your weapon to the final stage. You have to ride your ship to so many different places to get them. One of the main reasons I say FF7 isn't the greatest because in 2002 Gameinformer( May02) there was a article on the ranks of FF and FFX took first. One reason they said this is because of the way you can have more that three people in your Team at once and you can just switch them around( don't get that since FF9 also had that), the real reason I think it isn't as great is because of them Aeon system. This was the first game were you can actually pick your Aeon and be able to control it. Unlike the others were the Aeon came in and out, this one you can actually level it around the sphere grid and up grade it's special attacks. Gamers for years have been waiting for something like that to happen for years. Now when it comes to storyline alot of FF titles beat FF7 bad( FF8, FFX). This one had a very deep love story but not to deep so it was perfect. The cutscenes were really nice( the cineagame). The music was awsome, also the main thing was the story the rivalry of Tidus and Seymore( at least to me) and trying to fing out Tidus's past, since no one belives him. Oh yeah I almost forgot, that was also the only FF game to come up with it's own sport, Blitzball. That was a real suprise. Anyways the year FF8 came out people were starting to dout FF7. First because of it's customizung, you could actually create your own weapon instaed of ussing Materia. The storyline was about a tie.

For sure though FFX took its' spot, so many things you can do and way more Side quests then FF7. So that is my opinion MAYBE.

:wink: Also even though one of FF7's strong points were it's music it can never beat FFX's, and you can unlock music to just listen to for free OMG. I have the soundtrack but if you don't believe me that it has better music

I would give FF7 a 6/10 don't know why people like it so much it isn't that appealing to me.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I whined enough about the whole subject, in excessively long posts. Consult them if you so wish.

Let's just say I live in 2006 and a game like this coming out now would be rated "C-R-A-P". I played it in 1997. It was godly. So I won't get into the good things about FFVII now, I've already thrown my 2 cents in that aspect.

The cons to be noticed, even when it first came out, were:

1 - Running (keeping X pressed);
2 - O played X and it took a long while getting used to;
3 - Field Graphics (characters resembling Lego figures);
4 - Dry sense of humor (approaching adult topics and failing to amuse)
5 - Complicated storyline (those who don't understand it the first time around, will definitely have to play it again if they want to understand the whole plot)
6 - Lack of personality in combat due to materia

It would seem my point of view isn't shared by many. Well, my arguments can be found here: http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6751

Thanks for this poll Krisp.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:28 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I actually favor the O/X swap over the regular set up. That's probably just me though.

As I already said, this game is overrated. I think it only got such a praise because they did a good job bringing it into the 3D world. That, and everone can't get enough of "ZOMG SEPHIROTH!!!".

I would give it a 7 at the very most. There are other Final Fantasy games that are much better than this one.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I find the O/X swap much more sensible as well.
It does take, however, some time getting used to, seeing as all other games have it the other way around.

EDIT: Hm. Perhaps I am being a bit dumb, so here's what I'll do after my final exams (I don't know how you call them, but I mean the ones you do and determine whether you enter college or not :? ). I'll play all FF's again, and reconsider. I mean, I played FFVII through a 2nd time after playing FFX, i.e., the last one I played. So it's only natural I remember it all too well in comparison with the others. Perhaps I should replay the other FF's so I can make a better judgement. Of course, when I'm finally through with all the testing, I'll be lucky if Psypoke is still around... :?
And I'll be lucky to remember my friends' names... and my girlfriend's... and.. well, all in the name of gaming. A bit of social life wasted, what's so wrong about that? :P

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I find the O/X swap much more sensible as well.
It does take, however, some time getting used to, seeing as all other games have it the other way around.

EDIT: Hm. Perhaps I am being a bit dumb, so here's what I'll do after my final exams (I don't know how you call them, but I mean the ones you do and determine whether you enter college or not :? ). I'll play all FF's again, and reconsider. I mean, I played FFVII through a 2nd time after playing FFX, i.e., the last one I played. So it's only natural I remember it all too well in comparison with the others. Perhaps I should replay the other FF's so I can make a better judgement. Of course, when I'm finally through with all the testing, I'll be lucky if Psypoke is still around... :?
And I'll be lucky to remember my friends' names... and my girlfriend's... and.. well, all in the name of gaming. A bit of social life wasted, what's so wrong about that? :P

Yeah after reading this, I was tempted to go through my collection of 2-12 and see which oneis the best. Then I remebered I had a live. I'm currently going through FF9 to see why Squaresoft rated it there second worst game(aside from FFCC).

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm currently going through FF9 to see why Squaresoft rated it there second worst game(aside from FFCC).

They did? How did you know that?

I am tempted to believe in them, too. Although FF8 is, by far, worse, IMO.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'm currently going through FF9 to see why Squaresoft rated it there second worst game(aside from FFCC).

Uh, yeah sure. Give me the proof that Square rated it the (second) worst.

And I agree Blackwind, FFVIII wasn't all that great. I didn't mind the game, but it was something else...

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah I read it somewhere about 3 years ago. I will have to see if it is true but it used to be the second worst till FFCC came out( not in my opinion,that was one of my most favorites)yes I will look. At the time I saw it FF9 was at the end of the list and FF7 was at the top.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Latios wrote:
I will have to see if it is true but it used to be the worst till FFCC came out( not in my opinion,that was one of my most favorites)

Latios wrote:
Okay what I mean is out of all the FF games put them in order of the way you like them. You don't have to post every single one if you haven't played them all,just put the ones you have played.

Example:

1:FFX
2.ff9
3.FF8
4.FF X-2
5. FF7
6.FF 1&2
7.FF3
8.FF2
9.FFIIV
10.FFCC

Own up, you've lied again.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What is up with you guys not beliving me. The order most likely changed because I saw it a long time ago. Why would I lie about something like that,I love that game I would never lie about that. :evil:

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

There are plenty of Final Fantasy forums with poeple who understand your situation, just to let you know Latios.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:32 pm
Profile YIM
Lite Four
Lite Four

I don't believe you, because I questioned your claim that FFIX was rated second worst Final Fantasy by Square (Yes I'm aware you edited your post to hide that), and I also asked that you prove it. You failed to show me ANY proof, so I don't believe you. I'm not saying you're lying, because you may be right, but I doubt that you are. Please read the new annoucement. Thank you.

Edit: Also, another reason I don't believe you is because a few members have already caught you in a false information situation. (ACWW thread.)

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't believe you, because I questioned your claim that FFIX was rated second worst Final Fantasy by Square (Yes I'm aware you edited your post to hide that), and I also asked that you prove it. You failed to show me ANY proof, so I don't believe you. I'm not saying you're lying, because you may be right, but I doubt that you are. Please read the new annoucement. Thank you.

Edit: Also, another reason I don't believe you is because a few members have already caught you in a false information situation. (ACWW thread.)

First I didn't edit my post and if you don't belive me then you don't belive me I can't convince you.Also I have been looking for proof and can't find anything on it. It was a while back when FF9 came out( also why would I say that about my second favorite FF game :roll:

Anyways if you don't belive me no in me arguing.

Cloud is to much of the spotlight in FF7, I know he is the main character but he is also the one who kills Sephiroth, why couldn't someone else do that.

:wink: Also thanks for backing me up some what S_S I think I will give you some psybucks. :wink:

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cloud is to much of the spotlight in FF7, I know he is the main character but he is also the one who kills Sephiroth, why couldn't someone else do that.

I trust you understood the story. I trust you understand how any stoy goes. The main good guy kills the main bad guy. That's a no-brainer.

Also, if FFCC was "one of your most favorites", how come it's last in your preference list, posted in another thread and quoted by Krisp? :?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:03 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I am getting realy sickof this Seperoth thing. If he wasthat great he wouldn't have lost. In my opinion Cloud is much cooler.

And to the actual pointof the topic...Will everybody please stop wondering if some thing is overrated or not. I f people like enouh fo it to be overated than chances are itis not over rated.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:11 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

What is up with you guys not beliving me. The order most likely changed because I saw it a long time ago. Why would I lie about something like that,I love that game I would never lie about that. :evil:

Latios... I have a couple words for you.

STOP LYING

Seriously, you're diggin yourself holes that keep getting deeper and deeper. Admit you're lying and we might just help you get out of that hole.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]