It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Katamari Damacy 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've just recently received this game from one of my friends as a super-late birthday gift. I've already beaten it, but I'm just curious if anyone else has played, seen, or even heard of this game. There is a second one, but I've got the first. It's a weird game, but it's fun. It really has no plot or real story to it. The main thing this game is about is rolling. Yes, rolling. Roll until your heart is content!

What you have to do is create stars in the sky by rolling the katamari. The bigger the katamari, the brighter the star will be, but you are timed for this and you will have to get the katamari to the appointed size before time runs out. If you get the katamari to the right size in a quick amount of time, it will become a shooting star. You can check out the stars and constellations you create!

Two player mode is really amusing... I just tried it out today with my brother. You get to pick from different characters, (who you end up collecting in the different levels) and roll a katamari! The one with the biggest katamari wins! But you can pick up your opponet or your opponet can pick you up, so watch out! Oh, yes, and don't crash into bigger objects...

There are three different kinds of levels, the house, town, and the world. In the different places you can make your katamari filled with different objects. You can pick up different things from tacks, to fruits, to animals, to people, and even clouds... I even heard you can become big enough to roll up the sun! But I'm not sure if that's true... Yeah, I guess it's kind of a guilty pleasure of having all of those people and animals being rolled up into one huge ball, but what can you do? You need them.

The hardest levels I think are the ones where I need to collect certain objects to make a constellation. I especially have trouble with the constellations Taurus, and Ursa Major, since I only need one bear/cow, and I keep picking up the small ones! >_< Also the North Star was a challenge, but I was able to guess the katamari's size correctly...

So, anyway... If you've played this game, what do you think? Crazy, yet fun? I've seen some pretty weird things on the game. I ended up rolling people up from under the ground... That was kind of unexpected... Also I think bears flying by balloons and stuff is pretty strange. Yeah, I can point out a lot of weird things, but there's too many to list them all.

Overall, I think Katamari Damacy is a fun game with all of it's craziness. The graphics aren't spectacular, but that's just how it's supposed to be. Not to mention the cut scenes are sometimes confusing. But it can be challenging, and that's what I like about it. I want to make the sky as pretty as possible, filled with the brightest stars I can create!

I guess that's all I have to say about this game. If you've never played it, maybe you should rent it... but it is very weird... maybe it might be too weird for some people.

So, yes. Post your thoughts! I'm curious to know! ^_^

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:13 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Katamari Damacy and We <3 (that's a heart, by the way) Katamari, the second game, are both extraordinarily addictive. If you're a fan of easy controls, but challenging gameplay, pick it up. It's a very wacky game, but also hilarious.

I agree, Taurus and Ursa Major are especially hard. You'll gather a whole bunch of junk and make a gigantic katamari, yet roll over a teeny tiny teddy bear and all your work is for naught.

pick up Katamari Damacy, and if you like it, We <3 Katamari is even better! more types of levels, different ways to play. Everything's been improved.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

:cry: :cry: You poor souls. Yes this game is addictive but it is not really all that fun. For sure when the producers of this game made it they were smoking somethig. :cry: :cry:

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Who couldn't like this!? I've only played it at a friends, but I want more! More I say!

Wierd -----
Intro (What were those guys smoking when they made that!?)
King-dude (Uhh...)
Levels (Poor crabs!(Cancer Constellation))

Awseomely cool spectacular
Everything!

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

:cry: :cry: You poor souls. Yes this game is addictive but it is not really all that fun. For sure when the producers of this game made it they were smoking somethig. :cry: :cry:

While I don't like what you have to say, I won't fight your right to say it.

And usually, a game HAS to be fun to be addicting, FYI. That's the premise behind addiction :P

Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:42 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well you are right a game has to be fun if it is addictive. It is like Bo-Bo-BoBoBO-Bo you just play it to see what weird thing happens next.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

This game is great for killing time. I play it whenever I'm super bored... but since I've beaten all of it, it's rather boring now. No replay value :(

6/10

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:17 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On Birth Island and Navel Rock with Ho-Oh, Lugia and Deoxys
Katamari Damacy was the weirdest game i have ever seen.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:27 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thank you total waste of money unlike you like games that E3 rated one of the worst games ever created.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thank you total waste of money unlike you like games that E3 rated one of the worst games ever created.

So, what you're saying, is that you're going to blindly follow a faceless corporation? Most gaming magazines, sites, etc. that review games don't know jack. What next, are you going to base how much you like a game off of a G4 Tech TV review?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Latios wrote:

So, what you're saying, is that you're going to blindly follow a faceless corporation? Most gaming magazines, sites, etc. that review games don't know jack. What next, are you going to base how much you like a game off of a G4 Tech TV review?

:evil: Well actually E3 is the people who decided if games even come out. You are right Mr. Saturn E3 must be really stupid if they let this title reach america. :evil:

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

um... I'm not exactly up on my video game bureacracy, but doesn't the corporation that actually developed the game decide if they want to release it outside of Japan? Moreover, wouldn't E3 more than anything be a mediator as to whether or not a game is well recieved, seeing as it's a giant demofest? If E3 does indeed see to it that only "good" games are released here, then why the hell isn't THQ bankrupt for their several thousand idiotic Spongebob Squarepants videogames and video game translations of Pixar or Dreamworks CGI movies? Where was E3 when Superman 64 was made? E3 controls jack. They just give developers a good idea on whether or not releasing in the states is a wise decision, based on feedback. They're not the ESRB or the Video Game Quality police. E3 isn't even a corporation.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

um... I'm not exactly up on my video game bureacracy, but doesn't the corporation that actually developed the game decide if they want to release it outside of Japan? Moreover, wouldn't E3 more than anything be a mediator as to whether or not a game is well recieved, seeing as it's a giant demofest? If E3 does indeed see to it that only "good" games are released here, then why the hell isn't THQ bankrupt for their several thousand idiotic Spongebob Squarepants videogames and video game translations of Pixar or Dreamworks CGI movies? Where was E3 when Superman 64 was made? E3 controls jack. They just give developers a good idea on whether or not releasing in the states is a wise decision, based on feedback. They're not the ESRB or the Video Game Quality police. E3 isn't even a corporation.

Well the reason E3 let games out like the Spongebob games and Superman 64 out is becuase first of all the Spongebob Squarepants series has been selling a lot becuase most younger gamers will look for a game from there favorite Tv show or card game.That's the same reason the Pokemon series is still popular today same with Yu-GI-OH. Most kids when they go toa video game store will say ''Mommy can we get a Spongebob game''. The reason the Superman games keep coming out like Superman:manOF Steel of still because they are all time Superhero's and they will make alot of those because people will keep harassing Activision(superhero gaming company) to make more superhero games. Plus when ever a new Superhero movie comes out there will always be a game(Spiderman 2, Batman Begins, and Superman 64, or the Spongebob squarepants movie the video game).

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Hmm, the way you make it seem, it's as if E3 has no control at all when it comes to quality, then. It's almost as if their ratings of a game are opinion and have no weight on a game's release!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

:) Yeah...... I guess so.....well anyways I'm just giving my opionion on Katamari Damacy. E3 does have a say in the matter when it comes to games going to the shelfs in North America. There ratings from the Japaniese releases depend on if the game will even make it to America like for instants Diablo 3 it was rated one of the games that would not be coming out in America becuase of E3's rating on it in Japan. Anyway I'm getting off subject all I want to say is that Katamari Damacy was one of those Diablo 3 type of games and almost didn't come out becuase of the low ratings it had in Japan :)

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

weird. It's like a cult classic over here.

but I understand what you're saying, but the way you made it sound is like E3 is some kinda NSRB or FCC or something.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

:D Oh... well sorry I didn't mean to have it sound like that, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think I will change my rating on this game since I played it yesterday and Mr. Saturn our right even thought the story line is well...........anyways the game does have youcoming back I give it a 8/10 :D

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

:D Oh... well sorry I didn't mean to have it sound like that, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think I will change my rating on this game since I played it yesterday and Mr. Saturn our right even thought the story line is well...........anyways the game does have youcoming back I give it a 8/10 :D

heh, as long as you're honest about that. The thing is, it's one of those games you don't play for the rich storyline. As long as you truly like it, I guess ^^;

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:55 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:58 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Latios wrote:

heh, as long as you're honest about that. The thing is, it's one of those games you don't play for the rich storyline. As long as you truly like it, I guess ^^;

:) Hey well I ended up really liking the game since I have just made it through it. I think they should make a Katamari Damacy 2 they make the story line way better :)

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Mr. Saturn wrote:
Latios wrote:

:) Hey well I ended up really liking the game since I have just made it through it. I think they should make a Katamari Damacy 2 they make the story line way better :)

they did. It's called We <3 Katamari (the <3 is a heart)

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:20 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A friend of mine recently showed me the second game.

I thought it was totally hilarious, especially the cut-scenes. Watching them, just made me laugh... I thought it was cool that you could be any character you wanted in the second game. Also the levels seem more challenging and wackier than ever before. Unfortunately I don't own the second one, yet.... The second one has a story line that focuses around The Prince's parents, mainly the father, and showed how they met.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wow they already have the second KD out I am going to gave toget that.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Heard it, seen it, want it BADLY.As soon as I get my PS2, Katamari Damacy & We Love Katamari are the first 2 games I'm getting & probably the only 2 will keep me up til 2 a.m. my time!

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]