It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 The Old Republic 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, so recently I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). This is my first mmo(rpg?), and I haven't gotten very far with any of my characters. However, I wanted to see who (if anyone) else played on here, or why other people don't. So feel free to discuss anything related to the game, share usernames/servers, etc.

For me, I started playing mostly because I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I read a lot of the Expanded Universe books and comics, and enjoy the rich variety of stories that can be found throughout (not so much the original characters as the new ones that never really show up in the movies). So since Star Wars Galaxies was heinous looking, and SWTOR looked amazing, I tried a free trial. The gameplay isn't that fantastic, to be honest; the way they have abilities and attacks mapped out for the controls makes them rather hard to use fluidly. Combat feels like a spamfest of various attacks at this point (I'm at level 19 in my highest one, out of 50 total). And I haven't really seen how the whole making Light side vs. Dark side choices really plays out into affecting your character, apart from which weapons/equipment you can use and the way your character looks. Supposedly, there's a light side, dark side, and neutral ending for all the stories. But I would rather have some of those choices have long-term, permanent consequences.

But the game is far from all bad. The one thing that I love about Star Wars is the stories; that is the single greatest thing about this game. The stories you can act out through your character are pretty fun; all the voice acting that was put into this game really paid off, imo. I also like how some of the updates are going, adding in things like Legacy, which allows you to create families out of your characters, and the way you can upgrade some of the armor pieces, that way you don't necessarily have to go with the crappiest-looking armor availabe; instead you can just move the mods from the best pieces onto one that you like the look of.

So, yeah, those are some of my opinions. Despite being a player, I'm not very knowledgeable about the game, being new and all. So, hopefully we get some decent responses up in here. Discuss.... now.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]