It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
So recently, a friend on another site told me about a game, very small file, that I could download for free. Despite this it has a great plot, and it's definitely no easy game if you play it 'correctly'. The game is called Doukutsu Monogatari, or Cave Story. You start out as 'a soldier from the surface' in a cave, and eventually have to stop an evil Doctor that captured an artifact that gave him untold powers. I don't want to spoil anything, so here's the link. If you have played it, what're your thoughts on the game (PC, Wii ware, or 3DS versions)? If you haven't, are you going to give it a try? I promise, you won't regret it.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It took me forever to beat the final boss! But then I learned that it doesn't save afterward. :/ I have it on my DSi, and I was kinda disappointed but at least I have 3 files. The game itself was fun and seemed short to me, though not as short as the Crystal Monsters I also got on the DSi store.

Image (by Ender)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Cave Story is bloody incredible. It kind of annoyed me that the later versions made it really obvious that the Quote is a... you know... but yeah. It's fantastic.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Coliflowerz wrote:
Cave Story is bloody incredible. It kind of annoyed me that the later versions made it really obvious that the Quote is a... you know... but yeah. It's fantastic.

The Quote? Is that on the computer version? Is the computer version much different from the DS version?

Image (by Ender)

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

khoufu wrote:
The Quote? Is that on the computer version? Is the computer version much different from the DS version?

Whoops. No, Quote is the official name of the protagonist. Did you get the best ending?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Coliflowerz wrote:
Whoops. No, Quote is the official name of the protagonist. Did you get the best ending?

Idk... I got the ending where you fight the 3 bosses then you fly away. I think my boyfriend said you get a better ending when you don't get the machine gun, is that true?

Image (by Ender)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

khoufu wrote:
I think my boyfriend said you get a better ending when you don't get the machine gun, is that true?

You can get a better weapon. I don't remember the steps to getting the good ending; they're very convoluted. I don't even remember how to start... but yeah, you haven't experienced Cave Story to its fullest till you've experienced that ending. Let me look it up...

Start out by skipping the Booster v0.8. In other words, make the jump where you met the prof. without the pack. It's possible; look closely.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I have the WiiWare version. I like the game, but never finished. I've played better Metroid-Vania games. Like, you know, actual Metroid and Castlevania games. Also Monster Tale.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:11 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Coliflowerz wrote:
You can get a better weapon. I don't remember the steps to getting the good ending; they're very convoluted. I don't even remember how to start... but yeah, you haven't experienced Cave Story to its fullest till you've experienced that ending. Let me look it up...

Start out by skipping the Booster v0.8. In other words, make the jump where you met the prof. without the pack. It's possible; look closely.

Thanks. Is there a way to play through the game with the previous HP and stuff after defeatingit once, or do I have to start over again?

Image (by Ender)

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

khoufu wrote:
Thanks. Is there a way to play through the game with the previous HP and stuff after defeatingit once, or do I have to start over again?

I don't think so. It isn't that hard to get all the Heart Tanks, though. I found all but one on my first attempt.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Coliflowerz wrote:
I don't think so. It isn't that hard to get all the Heart Tanks, though. I found all but one on my first attempt.

I think I probably did too, or very nearly. What's the max HP?

Image (by Ender)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:16 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Coliflowerz wrote:

If you haven't attempted it yet, fair warning: the ending Coli is referring to is ludicrously difficult when compared to the rest of the game.

Minor spoiler alert. Highlight to view spoiler.
For instance, the segment at the beginning of the end "arc" features a platforming run with instant-kill hazards that give you only the smallest margin for error. Make the slightest mistake, and you have to start the run all over again, from scratch. Pixel, the developer, calls it "Hell" for a reason. Ouch.

khofu wrote:
What's the max HP?

The original incarnation of it tops out at 50, I believe. Some of the more recent variations of the game, notably Cave Story 3D, feature additional Heart Tanks which raise the max some.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have it on the DSi, which I think probably has about 50 for max HP too, which would put me at having missed no more than 1 capsule.

Image (by Ender)

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cave story is one of my favorite games. I definitely prefer the original Cave Story to Cave Story +. CS+ is the version with "updated" graphics and music, and downgraded translations on Steam and most other consoles. I could go on a whole rant about the translations on CS+ but I'm just going to leave it at this: Kazuma would never say "jk lol" and it's called Grasstown, not Bushlands.

The game was perfect from the story to the music to the physics to the graphics. Pixel did a great job. If you haven't played it yet, you should. You can get it here: http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php
Get the English translation (pre-patched) version.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]