It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Harry Potter 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Just last night at 12:01am Harry Potter was released into all the movie theatres in my country (presumably in the States too). I sat on the floor for four hours waiting, because I love Harry Potter. Ever since a was a kid I loved the whole story. It was one of the first books I ever read. Since this is the last movie I feel like a chapter of my childhood is closing.

I am not afraid to admit that I cried a lot. I'm not going to say why because I don't want to spoil it for anybody else. But I am sure you will know when I cried when/if you see the movie. I thought that since I read the book I wouldn't get that sad, but I guess when you actually see the action come to life it is different.

I was wondering how you feel about Harry Potter. Not just the last movie, or any of the movies. How do you feel about the books? Or the huge Fandom? Are you like me and are sad that it is over? Or are you glad to see it go?

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As far as I'm concerned, the series was over when the seventh book came out. Anything after that is bonus :) .

I also went to the midnight premiere at my local theater. Ours offered a back to back feature of both the Deathly Hallows movies, which was really neat. I didn't cry any; I didn't cry at the books, and since I already knew what was going to happen, there were no tears. However, there was a lot of clapping at various victorious or kick-ass moments in the movie among the crowd (Neville got a standing ovation O_o).

The book series was awesome, in its entirety. When I was in kindergarten, I wasn't into reading; in fact, I never read at all unless my teachers made me or it was necessary for something else I was doing. Then, my parents forced me to sit down and read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Then I read Chamber of Secrets, then Prisoner of Azkaban... You can easily see how sucked into the series I was. For me, it's not just a great story that I read as a kid; it's what started my love for reading. I was indeed sad to read the end of the seventh book; by that time, I was in eighth grade, about to head into high school. The series was, indeed, magical (pun intended), and always will be for me. My kids will probably spend a few years falling asleep to the adventures of Harry and his friends as they fight against Voldemort.

The huge fandom doesn't really bother me. How can it not? It's inevitable, and furthermore, belonging to this site, it would be hypocritical of me to criticize the Harry Potter fans when we're all Pokemon fans. Twilight fans, on the other hand, take it way too far, and act way too retarded in places like, oh, school. But Harry fans are cool 8-)

So, yes, I'm sad to see that it's over; however, Harry Potter is hardly gone. The fandom, the movies, and the books will be here for a long time. Anytime I feel nostalgia and want to visit Hogwarts again, all I have to do is pick up a book and start reading...

Oh, and anyone who just went to see the movies without reading the books should be shot. Just thought I should mention that, considering ALL of the movies leave out a ton of information that explains a lot.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sadly I didnt see it at the midnight premiere, but I saw it that morning AND THE MOVIE WAS AWESOME!

Luckly I had read all the books ahead of time. And I never cried near the ending since I already knew what happens. But it is sad to see that all the movies for it are finally over :(

Also, you should read the books to fully understand all the Harry Potter stuff. And you really do have to read the 6th book since the movie for it had left out a TON of important things, and added lots of meaningless stuff.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah the movies do leave a lot of important stuff out. Expecially a lot of character back-story. Which really helps you to understand the plot better. Reading the books is the most important part. If I had to choose the movies or the books, I would choose the books. Because I have a fully functioning mind and do not need a bunch of flashing lights to help me visualize things. I know people who have read the books after they saw the movies, but it isn't the same...

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:34 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've only ever read one book where the movie was better (I am Number Four; the writing style was too terrible and the final fight too drawn-out; short and sweet like the movie was soo much better), and Harry Potter definitely shows the vast difference between film and paper. The first movie was pretty close to the book, I must admit; but even so, it still left stuff out (apparently; one of my friends told me this).

So, yeah. Always read the book. Even if it's after watching the movie, STILL READ THE BOOK! It's good for you ;)

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I found that the sixth movie left a lot of information out. Like so much that it was hard to enjoy the movie :P But it is Harry Potter so it was all good.

I didn't like the fifth book. I liked the movie better but I still didn't like it much. I just thought it was boring and contained a lot of irrelavent information. At least, that is my opinion.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The fifth book was also my least favorite. However, it's one of the more relevant books, in hindsight. For instance, this is where the war against Voldemort really starts to ramp up; for everyone other than Harry, this is now a reality. We also got to see a little more detail about Snape's past (foreshadowing his memories in #7), and, the death of Sirius Black seriously saddens/depresses Harry, making it more real for him as well. Things like that kind of build up to some serious foreshadowing for the next two books, in my opinion.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

rex09 wrote:
The fifth book was also my least favorite. However, it's one of the more relevant books, in hindsight. For instance, this is where the war against Voldemort really starts to ramp up; for everyone other than Harry, this is now a reality. We also got to see a little more detail about Snape's past (foreshadowing his memories in #7), and, the death of Sirius Black seriously saddens/depresses Harry, making it more real for him as well. Things like that kind of build up to some serious foreshadowing for the next two books, in my opinion.

I agree. It also sheds some light on Voldemorts past. Which helps make Voldemort look more like a real person then your cookie cutter antagonist. The Order of The Pheonix is rather enjoyable too, and it was introduced in the fifth book. It must have been weird for Harry to be around all these people tht known his parents far better then he did.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I just saw Deathly Hallows Part 2 today and its was great

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Location: (Well the location of my face) Infront of the D.S screen of course!
DH pt.2 was AWESOME! I like the part when Nevil pulled the sword out of the sorting hat.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

rex09 wrote:
I've only ever read one book where the movie was better (I am Number Four; the writing style was too terrible and the final fight too drawn-out; short and sweet like the movie was soo much better)

Personally, the movie I Am Number Four really dumbed out the book. The book was very illustrative, whereas the movie wasnt. Your point stands invalid in my eyes.
But back on topic. The sixth book and movie I hate. It lacks the 'umph' of all the other ones. The ending of the movie sucks. Both me and my friend thought that Highlight to view spoiler.
the pheonix would burst into flames. But it didnt. Soo depressing.

EDIT: Just realized; 500th post, :censored: !

Goodbye
"

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The Harry Potter series has to be among my favorites. It's eloquently written and there is a lot of quirky stuff I would've never come up with (i.e., Tom Marvolo Riddle = I am Voldemort). I haven't gotten the last book yet, I haven't had a chance to visit the bookstore.

sad but rad

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]