It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Mega Man series 
Author Message
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
I know a lot of us played and liked the original games (and the X series). I loved them. They were excellent platformers with one of the best concepts to ever grace video games. However, barring the recently released Mega Man 9 and 10, the Blue Bomber that people grew up with has completely disappeared in the last 10-12 years, while X had some of his worst games and soon disappeared as well.

Of course, since Mega Man practically kept Capcom in the gaming industry, they made numerous spinoffs to the original games, like Mega Man Zero, Battle Network, ZX, and Star Force. What do you think of them? Are they worthy of the Mega Man title?

Personally, I find the recent Mega Man spinoffs pretty good, with almost none of their games being particularly bad. Battle Network, while deviating from the classic games, was a very unique game that effectively added RPG to the acceptable list of Mega Man genres, and Star Force for the most part upheld the Mega Man RPG reputation. Mega Man Zero and ZX didn't let the fans forget about platforming, though, Zero games being some of the darkest and hardest Mega Man games ever, and ZX following up on it with a brighter atmosphere and an interesting (though half-decent) concept. I gladly accept these as Mega Man games.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 889
Location: Nova Scotia. Yeah, It exists.
I never really got into Megaman until a couple months ago, and the only games I have played are 1-6, 10 and Megaman X, and I have beat them all. My favourites are Megaman 2, 3, 5 and 10. Except I did watch the show when i was younger, i never played the games.

_________________
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/15p4jle.png[/img]
FC: Ryan 1462-9617-6058
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmq4lPe6KoI
friends FC black:0261 0441 3891


Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:32 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
My favorites of the original series are 4 and 10.
By the show, do you mean the anime or the cheesy cartoon?

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
The spinoffs have been pretty amazing. I LOVED Battle Network. It was my obsession for a while, and then Star Force was disappointng plot wise. Battle Network was good at plot. *tear* I had some fun with Zero for the GBA. THe main series and X I never really got into too much. X was fun from what I've played.

You forgot to mention Megaman Soccer for the SNES. :P

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:58 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
LeoTheLion wrote:
You forgot to mention Megaman Soccer for the SNES. :P


I prefer to think of it as 'I forgot to mention Megaman Battle and Chase for the Playstation. :P'

One game I find underrated is Network Transmission. It's really good, but could've been longer.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:45 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
romon1 wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:
You forgot to mention Megaman Soccer for the SNES. :P


I prefer to think of it as 'I forgot to mention Megaman Battle and Chase for the Playstation. :P'

One game I find underrated is Network Transmission. It's really good, but could've been longer.


Yeah Network Transmission was pretty sweet. But definitely short. It had some nice stuff to do after the game though.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:26 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am
Posts: 507
Location: Somewhere around Fortree City, I'm sure.
The original Megaman, older MMX games, and Legends series are all that exist in my mind. The rest is forgettable, in my opinion.

_________________
~*Shiny Hunter*~

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.


Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Kurushel wrote:
The original Megaman, older MMX games, and Legends series are all that exist in my mind. The rest is forgettable, in my opinion.


If you've tried Battle Network (3 preferably), then I'm not sure why you say that. Battle Network had a pretty good plot, an original gameplay concept (especially the battle system), and a sufficient post-game. It had collection and customization aspects. The plot could use work as far as twists and surprises, but for a handheld demi-spinoff game, it did pretty well. It even had its own spinoffs (Battle Chip challenge and Network Transmission). I obsessed over the series for a while (if you couldn't tell).

MMX was pretty fresh, but the bosses were pretty forgettable. I liked the upgradable armor. I really wish I had the opportunity to play Legends. When I found out about the game in one of my brother's old Nintendo Powers, my parents had sold my N64 in a garage sale. :/

Zero wasn't bad at all. An interesting character and plot, and gameplay reminiscent of the original series.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am
Posts: 507
Location: Somewhere around Fortree City, I'm sure.
I used to own the Battle Networks up until either 4 or 5, actually. Keep in mind that what I said was, indeed, an opinion.


I will concede the point that MMZ does have it's merits.

_________________
~*Shiny Hunter*~

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.


Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
I find that nearly all the Mega Man games are pretty good, but that a lot were forgotten/forgettable because the golden age of gaming ended before those series started. Although there might be another one soon...

Anyway, I got Maverick Hunter X two days ago. I kind of want to play as Vile in every X game now.

Battle Network was my favorite series. I got BN4 first, so it just got better for me. Star Force was disappointing at first, but it got better as it went on. At least if it started good and got worse, it would generate more sales...

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
romon1 wrote:
Battle Network was my favorite series. I got BN4 first, so it just got better for me. Star Force was disappointing at first, but it got better as it went on. At least if it started good and got worse, it would generate more sales...


Lol BN4 was... Ew. The order I got them was 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6. I got my mix of good and bad.

I agree with you about Star Force. Star Force 1 was bleh. Star Force 2 and 3 were better plot-wise and gameplay-wise with Wi-Fi battles and such. Except in 2 when people cheated to get the Chief Form. I also liked somewhat of the return of Souls with Noise Forms, which could have been done better, but I still enjoyed them. Also with 2 and 3 were separate playing files, which every game could do with.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
LeoTheLion wrote:
Lol BN4 was... Ew. The order I got them was 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6. I got my mix of good and bad.


I got them in the order 4, 5, 3, 6, 2 + 1. But BN4 being my first one, I know that BN4 was not a bad game, it was just much, MUCH more tedious than the others.

3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 4 > 1.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
romon1 wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:
Lol BN4 was... Ew. The order I got them was 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6. I got my mix of good and bad.


I got them in the order 4, 5, 3, 6, 2 + 1. But BN4 being my first one, I know that BN4 was not a bad game, it was just much, MUCH more tedious than the others.

3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 4 > 1.


I guess tedious was a good word to describe it (I'm thinking the point-collecting and then the out of control park attractions). Still, some of the bosses were ridiculous at times (VideoMan). Tedious is a perfect word to describe it. It significantly lowered the game's fun-ness, especially since you had to go through the tedious events over and over.

I'd say 3 > 5 > 6 = 2 > 1 = 4

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:26 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
5? Liberations were kind of fun, but they were too central to the plot,and didn't really advance it. I would've preferred maybe 4 during the story, a couple for the extra level, and 10 or so bonus ones that got you a star (as well as rare chips/money).

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:35 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
They were very unique, and did better at advancing the plot than tournaments *cough* but true, there could have been less of them. But apart from that, 5 did a good job with Dark Souls and you even got to control Protoman for a while. The plot was also the best of the series other than 3 and 2.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:42 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
Hey, I did put it above BN4. And Dark Souls and the like were AWESOME. But I put it low because there isn't a lot to do after beating Nebula Gray (compared to the other games). And mostly because it had very few chips that I liked.

But in general, it BN was better than Star Force and its extremely similar plots.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Yeah, now that I think about it, BN5 didn't have much of a post-game at all. I liked BN3's post game and BN6's I don't think was too bad. Star Force 3 had a pretty impressive post-game, too.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:50 pm
Posts: 49
i loved the battle network series. i have all 6 of em. i liked 5 and 6 the most. dark souls were a blast and so was beast-out. but my favorites will always be the Zero games. ZX is ok, but it's hard to find the motivation to take the time to finish it. lol

_________________
Image


Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Anbukakashi14 wrote:
i loved the battle network series. i have all 6 of em. i liked 5 and 6 the most. dark souls were a blast and so was beast-out. but my favorites will always be the Zero games. ZX is ok, but it's hard to find the motivation to take the time to finish it. lol


Yeah I think I played ZX. It was a pretty long game, but it was definitely fun. And kind of reminded me of BN. O_o

Yeah, I guess looking back 6 was pretty alright. Beast out was fun and I liked the fact that you could get the viruses and fight them with each other.

One thing I really liked about BN 3 (among other things) was the virus cards. Those with fitchin.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:34 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
I liked ZX, but I feel that it suffered from the fact that most of the forms aren't that great.

Beast out and the Virus chips were things I never really used that much. They were both kinda cool, though.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:25 am
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Wisconsin
I love all the main MegaMan series game, from the first all the way to 10. My favorite surprisingly is MM7, even with its clunky downsides.

I loved the X series up until 4. 5 was alright, and I lost interest in the later ones. X3 was definitely my favorite.

My first Battle Network was BN2, and I had a great time with that one. When BN3 came out I got it right away, and had an even better time with it. I tried the later ones (friend had 'em), but they just did not appeal as much to me. I think they nailed the Battle Network formula perfectly with 3, and for some reason they threw it away. A shame, in my opinion.

Mega Man Zero is pretty hard, and I really had fun with them (and frustration as well). Zero 2 was my favorite out of them all.

As for MegaMan Legends, I have shockingly never played them. I plan to visit them someday, though.

_________________
Image


Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto
Registeel_Rocks wrote:
I love all the main MegaMan series game, from the first all the way to 10. My favorite surprisingly is MM7, even with its clunky downsides.


I loved all of them too, but my favorite was actually Mega Man 8, another unpopular one.

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
I loved the X series up until 4. 5 was alright, and I lost interest in the later ones. X3 was definitely my favorite.


This is exactly like me.

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
My first Battle Network was BN2, and I had a great time with that one. When BN3 came out I got it right away, and had an even better time with it. I tried the later ones (friend had 'em), but they just did not appeal as much to me. I think they nailed the Battle Network formula perfectly with 3, and for some reason they threw it away. A shame, in my opinion.


For BN4, I respect Capcom for taking the risk, even though it didn't work out. However, I didn't quite respect them as much when they didn't really fix those problems in the next game.

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
Mega Man Zero is pretty hard, and I really had fun with them (and frustration as well). Zero 2 was my favorite out of them all.


Almost just like me, but except for Zero 2 (which was my first), I never found the series very difficult.

_________________
FC (Platinum): 2793 7242 2819
romon1's Trading Thread <----Check it out! Will now breed for egg moves and natures!


Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I am probably 1 of the only mega-man fans here that didn't play a single Megaman (insert number here) game...that being said, I have played 6 of 8 Megaman X games, 3 of 4 MegamanZero games & both the Megaman ZX games...

Megaman X = I absolutely loved the first game & it still gets better & better everytime I play it, the second 1 while I felt the gameplay was less interesting then the first 1 had most likely some of the series best music in the series, the third 1 while it had Zero restricted how much he could be used which I hated & also should have had Zero with his Megaman X2 moveset instead of the 1 he had but...it did have some of the series best music & also more interesting gameplay then Megaman X2 at least so, Megaman X4-X6 all sucked to me as I didn't like the change to the game play & the graphics while better was not better in a good way & X6 pretty much killed the freedom of choice among the order you fought the bosses as certain stages required moves you didn't get until you have beaten other bosses just to get through like the forest-like level mainly, Megaman X7 had terrible reviews & a new outlook on gameplay so I never touched it & finally X8 I looked forward to getting but my budget wouldn't allow it & I eventually lost interest...

MegamanZero = I will get MegamanZero Collection to play the first game but the second game was "my first MegamanZero game" & it was a very enjoyable experience & got me permanately hooked to the franchise plus Ultimate Zero looked better having somewhat white hair here which would have looked good on the later versions of him, the third game was imo the best in series I mean it has the best final boss fight, the best form interface & I think the best new weapon as well & finally the 4th game I liked as well but it had some typical sequal problems holding it back from being better then the others...it fealt like a failed attempt at a fresh start for the series as instead it ended the series after changing all those features like it did...still a really good game, just nowhere near the best game in the series...

Megaman ZX = I was flat out impressed by the first Megaman ZX game as it was a great change for the series & featured an awesome form & weapons interface along with everything that made the X & Zero series so good & also featured Megaman OX(Zero's True Body in the MegamanZero games) who once you beat you got his form which was fun but of course didn't have everyone of his moves & was recieved after the game was beaten where there was nothing else to even really do though I did like that once you beat the game once that after ZX is aqquired on any later play through, you still will have X even considering the curcimstances, however then came Megaman ZX Advent & it got better & it got worse...I liked the fact that you could become actual bosses equipped with their entire arsenal but they were boring bosses compared to the bosses from the first game which I would have perfered to have here, I liked Megaman A very much as it was fun to use & worked as a balanced form for the game, I liked the medal ranking system for the boss fights once you I guess do something in the game but it was dreadful that you couldn't get all 3 at once for most or all of the bosses, I loved the unlockable mini-stage where you got to use Megaman @ which plays like Megaman from the original Megaman games & so does the stage & boss who is the same 1 you fight at the end of the actual game, I hated how much the game forced you to use the boss transformations so much that I actually took the game back & kept the first 1 which I still have, I loved that they eventually let you aqquire Megaman ZX half way through the story as that was the right time imo & I loved that you could still use Harpuia & co.'s forms like in the first game...

I have no love towards the Battle Network games, most of the series spin-offs & I can't seem to really get the time to play Legends which I heard was good & want to eventually still get to at some point...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Registeel_Rocks wrote:
I think they nailed the Battle Network formula perfectly with 3, and for some reason they threw it away. A shame, in my opinion.


This week I caught myself a lot thinking "What if they didn't the other games as well as they did 3?" And it made me sad. Thanks a lot.

I've had a hankering for replaying 6. I don't know why. I think I've srsly replayed each one at least twice now.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 am
Posts: 207
Location: A train of thought
I am an incredible Mega Man fan. *cough* username *cough*

I first played Battle Network 4 after watching and loving the anime. I thought it was fun. Just fun.

Then I played Mega Man 2.

My opinion on Mega Man changed forever. I embraced the old blockly classics while pissing on the newer ones. That was 4 years ago though. I'm a bit different now.

I thought the original was the best. The pick-your-stage, steal-the weapon, die-20000-times formula never gets old, despite so many sequels. I remember the first time I played 1. I couldn't beat Cut Man. I'm dead serious. I also had a hard time with Dive Man, Charge Man, Snake Man, and Yamato Man. Of course, they're pushovers now. Oh, and the music!

The X series... awesome! Great music, great gpahics, great action. I found the Mavericks less memorable though. I do remember trying to beat Sting Chameleon. Ugh. Of course, the sequels weren't as good.

I never played Legends, but I plan to and I love the character model. Wish I could design like that....

Battle Network I loved, but I don't like it as much now. I really, really love how they brought back the robot masters, though they failed with the designs mostly, except for a few: Gutsman, Roll, NapalmMan, and, of course, Searchman. Still, there are some issues, lots of typos, and less addictive gameplay. Good ideas though.

Never played Transmission but ive seen enough to make me really, really want to.

Zero is incredible, but too hard for me...

ZX is great.

Star Force... ugh.

_________________
Image


Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.