It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Nintendo 3DS: announced (see page 2) 
Lite Four
Lite Four

Well NDS, it's been a nice long five years, but your life span is running short. As a handheld you were by far my favorite, even better than the original Gameboy, the Color, and the Gameboy Advance. It's time to get the shovel and dig your grave though, because you're about to be old news!

http://kotaku.com/5381257/nvidia-chip-t ... e=true&s=x

Of course, it still has at least another year left. ;)

Pokemon Generation 5, gogo!

also in b4 "BAAAAW I JUST GOT MY DS I DONT WANT A NEW ONE NOW MOMMY AND DADDY HAVE TO BUY ME A NEW ONE"

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

I see no actual confirmation that this is going to be the next generation of Nintendo handhelds. It just says they're using a specific type of chip for the "new Nintendo DS," which could mean anything from another DS Lite or DSi-esque update to the actual next Nintendo handheld.

To be honest, I don't really care if it's one thing or the other. If it's just another upgrade, I'll ignore it. If it's an entirely new system, I'll ignore until Generation V is released in the States and then pick one up. Hopefully, if it's a new system, it will have better encryption capabilities than the original DS. It's incredibly annoying that I can't use my DS for Wi-Fi on my WPA2-encrypted router.

Also, backwards compatibility kthx.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:35 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If it's going to be an entirely new handheld, then yeah, definitely a must buy for me.

If it's just another DS upgrade... they'd have to put on some pretty fantastic s*** to make me want to get it.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

As much as we hate to admit it, we are all going to get it.

Quote:
Pokemon Generation 5, gogo!

QFT

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:28 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Ryanh181 wrote:

I'm not getting anything if it's just another DS Lite or DSi. And if it's a new system, I'm still not getting it until Generation V is released in America. I probably wouldn't have my original DS or my GBA if not for Pokemon.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, it shouldnt be another DS, but if it is, I'm not buying it either.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Ryanh181 wrote:

If it's a DS Lite 2.0 or DSi 2.0, no. Unless by the far off-chance that my current DSi breaks and becomes completely unusable... but even then, I play consoles far more often than my handhelds nowadays, so it'd be a very low priority purchase.

If it's an entirely new handheld with a new type of game cart/disc/whatever, then yes, I will undoubtedly will buy it, since I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Frost wrote:
It's incredibly annoying that I can't use my DS for Wi-Fi on my WPA2-encrypted router.

That is quite annoying, i cant get on wifi now :(
the only way ill get a new dsi, is if they come to there sences and put the gba slot back, ive got more gba games than ds ones.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:45 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

eevee-master wrote:
Frost wrote:
It's incredibly annoying that I can't use my DS for Wi-Fi on my WPA2-encrypted router.

the only way ill get a new dsi, is if they come to there sences and put the gba slot back, ive got more gba games than ds ones.

Well I'm sure Nintendo had a good reason for removing the GBA slot when they made the DSi.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:02 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If i recall correctly, they replaced the GBA slot with the SD card slot. (Not in the same spot, but they couldn't fit both)

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Manaphy10 wrote:
eevee-master wrote:
Frost wrote:

Well I'm sure Nintendo had a good reason for removing the GBA slot when they made the DSi.

Yeah, they did actually. They probably decided to axe the Gameboy Advance because it should've died a long time ago, considering the DS has been out for five years now. In less than two years, the GBA will be ten years old, so it's quite pointless to whine about the removal of the GBA slot. The only thing the GBA slot was really good for was DPP, but you could always use your regular DS for that (and if you stupidly sold it then you have no reason to complain.) I have no problem playing my Gameboy Color games on my Gameboy SP, and I have no problem playing GBA games on it too.

I also found the Gameboy Advance to be very mediocre and very few games were worth playing again, so I probably won't kick the dust off my GBSP for a long time.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Krisp wrote:
Yeah, they did actually. They probably decided to axe the Gameboy Advance because it should've died a long time ago, considering the DS has been out for five years now. In less than two years, the GBA will be ten years old, so it's quite pointless to whine about the removal of the GBA slot.

^A thousand times over, this. Like I've said countless times, there are more methods of playing GBA games than I have fingers on my right hand.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Krisp wrote:
Manaphy10 wrote:

Yeah, they did actually. They probably decided to axe the Gameboy Advance because it should've died a long time ago, considering the DS has been out for five years now. In less than two years, the GBA will be ten years old, so it's quite pointless to whine about the removal of the GBA slot. The only thing the GBA slot was really good for was DPP, but you could always use your regular DS for that (and if you stupidly sold it then you have no reason to complain.) I have no problem playing my Gameboy Color games on my Gameboy SP, and I have no problem playing GBA games on it too.

I also found the Gameboy Advance to be very mediocre and very few games were worth playing again, so I probably won't kick the dust off my GBSP for a long time.

I agree the GBA was mediocre. And with HG/SS we can get all the Pokemon without using the GBA slot (Pal Park). So in conclusion if you guys use mostly gba games, then buy a gba, gba sp, or a gb micro (they're pretty darn cheap) at someplace like gamestop. If you use the Pal Park, wait for HG/SS to come out in your area, as with it you will get all of the Pokemon without using the GBA slot. If you use Guitar Hero go buy it on 360, PS3, or Wii instead.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

And why, exactly, should someone have to be forced to buy HGSS if they only have a DSi?

Complaining the DSi's lack of a GBA slot is hardly the most irrational thing in the world. Backwards compatibility is highly convenient and it also provides a cheap alternative to buying both the new and old systems to play old games if you never had the old system. It's also nearly a standard in gaming systems today so I find it very easy to understand why the DSi's missing GBA slot annoyed people.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Why can't my N64 play NES games? :? :? :?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Yeah, but this isn't 1996 anymore, and gaming systems have generally evolved to include some degree of backwards compatibility since the era of the N64. And I'm not saying it's a guaranteed DEALBREAKER if a system isn't backwards compatible today (although, I personally would pick a Lite over the DSi any day because I'd rather have the GBA slot over a low-quality camera), but it's certainly more of a legitimate gripe than what you're being so sarcastic about.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Frost wrote:
And why, exactly, should someone have to be forced to buy HGSS if they only have a DSi?

Complaining the DSi's lack of a GBA slot is hardly the most irrational thing in the world. Backwards compatibility is highly convenient and it also provides a cheap alternative to buying both the new and old systems to play old games if you never had the old system. It's also nearly a standard in gaming systems today so I find it very easy to understand why the DSi's missing GBA slot annoyed people.

I never said that. I mean even with the GBA slot I would have trouble getting all the Pokemon (HG/SS is most definitely going to fix that).

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:07 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

It's understandable for a new generation handheld to support DS games. It is not, however, understandable for it to support GBA games.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

@Krisp: Yeah, It would make sense for a new generation to support NDS games but not GBA games because as R_R said there are already six legal methods of playing GBA games. I wonder that new generation handheld would be like?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Just for the record, I have games for the original Game Boy (Yes the one with games that had the little notch)
but I tried them in a DS lite and a regular DS, and they don't fit. Any reason for that, even if my GBA SP can play them and GBA games go in a DS, but not any others games for other systems?

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-anno ... ntendo-3ds

So I guess it's official?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yep, looks to be that way. Saw this spread like wildfire last night/this morning. It's about that time for the new generation, anyway.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

death 2 the gameboy advance

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That's pretty exciting. I've got a feeling its gonna look and feel like an Apple product though...

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

since im too lazy to actually click on the link and read the article, i think i'll just ask it here. is the 3DS the same as the DSiXL?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next