It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 buying your own system 
Lite Four
Lite Four

And by that, I mean purchasing a system with your OWN money. Not a penny coming from someone else. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty spoiled. I've never bought a video game system with my own money (buying them USED doesn't count either). Until...

At work (I work third shift at Walmart), the guy from the electronics department informs everyone on break that Walmart has Wiis in stock (!). This is a rarity - I have NEVER seen a Wii in stock, and I've worked there for almost 8 months. Us Walmart employees get paid biweekly and this week is payday. ...However, today is Wednesday. Tomorrow is Thursday, pay day. There is no way in hell those Wiis were going to last that long. They would be bought and gone and I would never see them again, especially around Christmas. I felt pain, disappointment, and anger. Why, why? But then I remembered I had some money in my savings account...that I'm not supposed to touch. I guess it wouldn't hurt to borrow a few bucks from myself and pay it back tomorrow, right? So I take $350 from my bank account at 8:30am (when the bank opens) and go to Walmart.

YES! The Wiis are still there. All three of them (there were five, but some greedy bitch on third shift bought two...). I have my money and my associate discount. I brought an extra $100 just in case. Turns out Walmart bundles their Wiis for some :censored: reason, so that extra money came in handy. The guy rings it up...the price jumps from $318 to $335!!! stupid tax...I scan my associate discount card and get a $31 discount :3. So now, I have my Wii, my two Wiimotes, my two...whatever those things are, Wii Sports, and Wii Play. All hard earned cash, from bustin' ass five nights a week eight hours a night.

Anyone else?

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My old Playstation, Playstation 2 slim, Playstation 3, Xbox, two NES's (one regular and one top loader), SP, and DS were all bought with my own money as well as the majority of my games and peripherals. Actually, I went in on half for the original Playstation and the top loader my brother bought, but I got Todd one for his birthday, so that sorta counts. They aren't cheap. ;[

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know what walmart you were at, but I bought my Wii for $250 plus tax at the Walmart where I live. And it was all my own money, so I wouldn't have to share it with my brother. I know it sounds selfish, but if I had shared it with him he would play it constantly and I wouldn't get a chance to use it at all. Of course, when I finally buy it he whines like crazy that he wants to share it, but he didn't even have enough money to split the cost. I told him absolutely not, and spent nearly 2 years worth of savings. Guess what happens next? Since I didn't want to share, my parents decide that they're going to get a "Family Wii" for the whole family. (Which is crap, because neither of my parents play video games.) So basically, my brother gets a Wii, no skin off his back, because he whined for several hours about it. :frustrated:

If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
I have only bought my DS Lite with my own money. I would buy others but Christmas or my birthday always comes before I get enough money. :/

Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:52 pm
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

:0 I never thought you'd ever get a Wii, Krisp! But that is great! Maybe if and when I get decent internet we can play something together or something.

I've bought two consoles with my own hard earned money: my PS2 Slim (no longer have) and my Xbox 360, which I just bought this August with the combined money of my first paycheck and the credit I got from trading in that PS2 Slim.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I purchased my Game Boy Color, GBA and DS Lite all with my own money which in total comes up to about $375, which I suppose is a lot since I bought the first two before I had a real job.

My only other two consoles, my Genesis and my Gamecube I recieved as gifts.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Quote:
I don't know what walmart you were at, but I bought my Wii for $250 plus tax at the Walmart where I live.

It was bundled with Wii Play, another Wiimote, and another Nunchuk controller.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Nope, all full price systems I had someone else buy for me. I bought a N64 for $20 bucks, and about $200 worth of Wii and N64 games though.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The only thing that I have ever bought with my own money was my game boy advance sp. I can never usually save up to buy the bigger consoles but I get them for Christmas and Birthdays.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:38 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

{charizard} I only bought a GBA Micro with my own money that i earned from graduating High School.(I also bought a guitar.) My brother bought our XBOX360 and Wii.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I bought my GBA SP with my own money, along with all my GBA and DS games. :D

Grats on the Wii, though.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sneaky Sneasel wrote:
Nope, all full price systems I had someone else buy for me. I bought a N64 for $20 bucks, and about $200 worth of Wii and N64 games though.

Can't remember buying a system. Nope. I normally have nowhere near enough and then, SHOOP DE WHOOP, I gotsa prezzie.

Now, Buying GAMES, I can barely remember getting them as a present.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I can be pretty spoiled with games. I've never bought my own but I almost always buy my own games.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I don't have a job yet. Here most places require an employee to be 16 and I won't be until March. When that time comes though, I'll be buying most of my stuff with my own money. Clothes, video games, systems, etc. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

So far I've had all my systems bought for me.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

In March when I went to California, I bought my DS Lite for $139~ plus tax from some mexican market.

And when the original DS's came out here, I bought one myself for €150.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]