It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Steroid Hearings 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If any of you have paid attention to baseball in the past...two years, you may have heard about the major steroid scandals of the MLB.

Well there's this big congressional hearing today between archrivals Roger Clemes (big time pitcher) and Brian McNamee (athletic trainer.)

Long story short McNamee says he gave steroids to Clemens but Clemens is denying it. He has admitted to him being injected with B12 (a vitamin mind you) several times by McNamee.

Also, there was this big thingy called the Mitchell Report. Look it up, it's actually quite interesting.

Anyway, what is your opinion about steroids in sports?

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:25 pm
Profile YIM
it's like a baguette

Clemens is obviously guilty, and the worst thing he could do is exactly what he is doing: fighting the charges to the bitter end. If, and more likely when, it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Clemens was injected with steroids and HGH, the consequences will destroy Clemens' reputation and maybe even lead to a jail sentence. On the other hand, baseball players who have admitted to steroids and apologized have been generally forgiven.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I totally agree with FS. I'm trying to convince my dad he's guilty...Clemens is making it worse by trying to fight the charges. Just like FS is saying, it's ruining his reputation....and possibly his chances at Cooperstown....

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'm mostly just disappointed that the MLB let this go on for as long as they did. Now that some of the information has come out on how widespread the scandal is, it is extremely hard to believe that the organization was unaware. Statistics and records are very important to the game of baseball, and it's a shame that they were willing to allow records to be tainted just to improve their bottom line.

I used to be a big fan of Clemens because he seemed to be a genuine hard-working guy and I was impressed with his skill as an older pitcher. I would be naive to think that he never took steroids, but I think the fact that he is fighting this so hard is worse. It seems like the only resolution will be Clemens completely destroying his reputation and possible jail time.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:56 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A) I'm embarrassed that the majority of Clemens' steroid use came while he was with the Blue Jays.
B) Honestly, I am unsurprised that there has been steroid use in major league sports. I'm glad that the leagues are beginning to crack down on it, and the culture is gradually changing.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Also something I agree with....the MLB let this go too long. When they began to learn about steroid use they should have stopped it immediately.

Even as a Cubs fan, I'm surprised that there has been no mention of Sammy Sosa. I mean, he got really big, quickly. "Slammy" was one of those big name guys along with Big Mac, Mark Maguire who everyone is sure used steroids. Even if he doesn't say anything, which strengthens the case.

But again, as FS said, the people who are admitting to steroid use are gaining respect back.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I'm pretty sure the kids in my class take steriods, but I could be wrong. I on the other hand drink five cups of coffee before a game and that should usually suffice.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:19 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Clemens obviously took steroids, Bonds is guilty of perjury, the Mitchell Report is awesome, A-Rod sux, and Bernie Williams is cool (that last one was random)

{donphan}
{heatran}
{salamence}

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]