It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 SPOILERS HIS DARK MATERIALS SPOILERS 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

For anyone that read all three of his dark materials come here and post.
Now this is my view of the story. Very good all the way but i hate the ending;will and lyra had to leave eachchouther so i was ok. but does anyone know if the guy is making a 4th book that would be apriecated.
also i like pan and kirjava. It would be cool if we had demons here right.

POST YOUR COMMENTS ON HIS DARK MATERIALS

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I absolutely adore that trilogy. What I like most about it that Pullman manages to take something as extreme as killing God and then turns it into an excellent action/romance novel. It's brilliantly written, and the characters are excellent.

That, and Mrs. Coulter is just pure win, even if she was played by a blonde person in the film adaptation.

The concept of daemons is pretty cool, and original really. There was a brilliant website where you had to take a daemon test, and then it would tell you what animal you were. I can't remember what I got, I think it was a chimpanzee or something unoriginal. It also told you your daemon's name. It was an excellent site...

I wasn't particularly impressed with Lyra and Will's final daemon forms, I mean, I expected Lyra to have something that reflected her old nature (perhaps the ermine that Pan used to become so often) while Will got a cat. I expected a cat, but it was a bit similar to Farder Coram's daemon which I was a bit dissapointed with.

And the 'great sacrifice' which they made was pretty cool, considering they had only just 'realised; that they had fallen in love.

And it's unlikely he's making a fourth seeing as the trilogy was released absolutely ages ago.

Rate of the books: 9/10

While I loved the whole trilogy, I thought parts of it were a little...'Enid Blytonified.' I mean, such incidents where Pan and Lyra have been through an ordeal were followed up with 'Oh Pan! Oh my dear! Oh my sweet darling precious one, I missed you so!" which is completely out of character for Lyra. Obviously, she cares for her daemon, but perhaps 'she wordlessly clung to her daemon, rocking back and forth as she gripped him tightly in a fierce embrace, so that they would not be seperated again etc.' I just felt it was a bit...weird. But yeah, other than that, it was win. <3

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]